Questions for the migrationers

ANYWAYS, what I wanted to say was that general chat is Asmodeus' litter box and that you can flee to the safety of roleplays. o___o

What kind of roleplays can they flee to, Unanun?

*glances at the camera*

His poop does not scare me. I have smelled worst!

Wait. That does not make me sound cool at all....

It looks like it's basically been covered, but we come from a roleplaying site that has turned to a hellish waste in a filigree basket. Some people seem to be very proud of the fact that we all sort of moved over together, albeit in waves, and that's why you keep hearing about us.

All we want to do is roleplay and kick around in your off-topic section and snark at you all, as a new community.

And make terribly inappropriatly sexually loaded insider jokes to make thinks really akward for people around us. Right guys!?

Just me? Ok then...

For anyone not coming in a Zerg rush from RPG, this thread is referring to the horde that materialized from Roleplayerguild in the past month. Pretty sure that's what the OP meant, anyways.

Past my signature identifying me as one of the smelly refugees college grad style, I don't really talk about it in anything past intro threads belonging to people I know. The sig is kind of like a somehow lamer friendship bracelet showing affiliation with the community that came out this way as a group.

I can't speak for others, but I love starting fresh in a new community with new people. So far, I've greatly enjoyed my time here and the people and I aspire to become a household name, or benevolent dictator, of these parts.

I may like joking that the Iwaku faithful are the native population and I'm some oblivious explorer, but humour is a universal language and I think a good way to immediately earn people's friendlier side.

To be clear, I don't even like mentioning RPG here. I joined this site to be a part of this community and am grateful for the warm reception I've had. I certainly don't plan on having the whole Great Migration Alumini 2014 thing be anything more than an inside joke or a flag sewn on a backpack.

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
As a member who is neither native nor a migrant I'll throw in my opinion for neutrality's sake.

I haven't been here for too long and have only seen a few references to this "Great Migration". Mostly in threads complaining about the Great Migratees. I probably just came late to the party and the initial hype of the whole great migration ordeal had died down, or maybe I'm just really fucking oblivious.

That doesn't really matter. This conversation is only really about one thing anyways: Cultural assimilation.

And, I guess, cliques.

I see multiple native Iwakuans (Iwakans, Iwakuites?) demand integration of the newbies. Like integration is something that just happens, and doesn't take time. Integration is gradual, people aren't just going to throw away their roots and forget the past with one simple shift of position. As time goes on and they play and make friends within the greater Iwaku community they will slowly lose their former identity. The intricacies of Iwaku culture learned at a natural pace. However, they will never fully adapt, the occasional odd in-joke or reference to friends long gone will inevitably make it through the sieve of time. Also, there will inevitably be a straggler or two to holds on to their old identity and possibly disrupts the community as a whole doing so. They will be dealt with with whatever due process is in place at the time. Or they will leave.

On the subject of cliques, well, you can't avoid them. As Grumpy mentioned, Iwaku is full of them as it is. One or two more isn't going to disrupt the status quo.

/ramble

I came here because a Roleplay I was participating in on another site moved to this site, and because the other site was suffering badly from bugs that weren't being addressed, the guy who owned the site decided to do a format reboot but left it half finished and proceeded to neglect the site for many months in its buggy as hell state.

It started as the people participating in the GM's roleplays migrating over here, and at first the 'Great Migration' was just kind of a gimmick to name our disapproval and departure from the shitty old site.

To be fair , the only times I've really seen someone mention the 'Great Migration' is when a new member from the old site comes over, namely in that single thread that was created some weeks back. I havn't seen many people mention it outside of that thread, but I also don't view every thread in this forum. All that said I can understand how it could be construed as arrogance on a whole, because to me it all just seems like a circle jerk when people make it a point of pride past the initial 'Welcome over'.

I came here because a Roleplay I was participating in on another site moved to this site, and because the other site was suffering badly from bugs that weren't being addressed, the guy who owned the site decided to do a format reboot but left it half finished and proceeded to neglect the site for many months in its buggy as hell state.

It started as the people participating in the GM's roleplays migrating over here, and at first the 'Great Migration' was just kind of a gimmick to name our disapproval and departure from the shitty old site.

To be fair , the only times I've really seen someone mention the 'Great Migration' is when a new member from the old site comes over, namely in that single thread that was created some weeks back. I havn't seen many people mention it outside of that thread, but I also don't view every thread in this forum. All that said I can understand how it could be construed as arrogance on a whole, because to me it all just seems like a circle jerk when people make it a point of pride past the initial 'Welcome over'.

oh lovely

someone else other than me uses the term circle jerk

and here i thought it had died out

Reactions: Atlas Child
I have never wanted to use that "WHY SO SERIOUS" meme more in my entire life. And I HATE that meme. ;__;

It's okay, lovelies, the sillies will all calm down in a few more days. <3 *Hands out sedative cookies!*

• Love
Reactions: Brovo
Shhh Diana. We build this great not-a-cage-at-all for your owlyness.

Let's not fight amongst ourselves. That's what the Great Migrationers want. It's how they took down that T-Rex.
damnit, they're catching on.

Need to change tactics.

As someone that knew no-one on Iwaku before joining, the whole site seems a bit clique-y to me. Really, it's just one more clique, although it is getting a bit irksome to see all the "Great Migration" stuff in threads that the horde descends upon.
Cliques happen online. With any luck, I'll wind up in one here, but I don't see the need for all these hostile threads. Hopefully all this stuff can just settle down and then business can get back to normal...
My only response in here was going to be to say something like this. Now I'm not sure what to do.

I could ask who Diana is, but clearly the sassy 'who' without a question mark fits me more.

Don't you worry, Iwaku natives, there's plenty of cracks in this little group too.

Now I'm just curious to see how much we're influenced vs how much influence we bring with us.

also yay my 2nd ever post!

I personally fail to see the issue in a group of newbs giving themselves a club name if they follow the site rules. It can't be any more tired and topical than all the standard jokes we throw around. (And in my humble opinion, most of you are annoying little ankle biters that I ignore, anyway).

This is really nothing new.

Man, I used to never post in this section. What is up with me this week?

Reactions: Snakey
The words "great migration" have -quite literally- never made their way into a single post of mine until this one right here.

I know generalizations are awesome and all for convenience, but I'd prefer not to be lumped in with words like 'cliques' and such. I'm not even in any goddamn roleplays with the other migratory birds.

I have never wanted to use that "WHY SO SERIOUS" meme more in my entire life. And I HATE that meme. ;__;
It's okay, lovelies, the sillies will all calm down in a few more days. <3 *Hands out sedative cookies!*
For the most part, the way I looked at it, it was just a bunch of us who crossed over together and we immediately set to integrating into the site.

Honestly didn't know there was an issue or that people felt threatened. For the most part, it seemed that Iwaku was welcoming of the new people, and the new people enjoyed being among new people ( old people for native Iwakuan's ), and we were all jumping into roleplays and having fun.

Hell, I haven't roleplayed in YEARS now, and I was able to get back into the groove of things. That's how much I liked this site overall.

So, just out of curiousity since I obviously can't take social cues very well, are these people just messing around, or what? IMO, we're all fairly well mannered, are respecting the rules, and we're here for the same reason anyone else comes to an RP site. To enjoy writing.

-gnaws on the sedative cookies-

• Love
Reactions: Dervish
I personally fail to see the issue in a group of newbs giving themselves a club name if they follow the site rules. It can't be any more tired and topical than all the standard jokes we throw around. (And in my humble opinion, most of you are annoying little ankle biters that I ignore, anyway).
This is really nothing new.
Man, I used to never post in this section. What is up with me this week?
I haven't seen newb used in a while, that feels so nostalgic.

Also hi.

Usually when groups from other sites come here they end up forming cliques, cherry-picking what they pay attention to, waiting for any and every chance for the staff to prove that they're "just like the others", then leaving because this isn't their precisely-prescribed promised land.
*wipes phlegm off the monitor*
I'm sure you guys are the exception. But I got smited by two of you on your second day here, when joking with a friend, and can't seem to step into a thread without someone mentioning LE GRANDE MIGRATION!
Granted, you've also come here and on your second day encountered ME. So it's not been a happy time for either of us.
When all is said and done, I think the burden of humility is on the newcomers. I'm getting a slightly arrogant vibe (and my vibe radar has served me well in the last 5 years) - like you feel we should be honoured to receive your wacky antics on our little corner of the web. So I just have to hope you're not like all the other groups. Most of you seem like good sports.
*realizes that vibe radar sounds like vibrator* >__>
Now before you all start quoting me and responding with hashtags and other teenspeak rebuttals, let me assure you - Iwaku is great, and if you integrate here you will have a great time. My interests are always for the community (after a requisite quota of ego-stroking, but hey, we all have our crutches). So don't think that I'm attacking you.
Be aware of our history, just as you want us to be aware of yours.
*pees on everyone from the tree*
-opens up umbrella-

I've never smited anyone. >.>

1) What's so 'great' about your migration?
I think the fact there's a group of us makes it 'great'. I like to think some sort of solidarity or unity is involved.
2) Why do you point it out so often?
I personally don't, nor do I put it in my sig, in spite of the temptation. It's not clever to, since it makes you seemingly stand apart from the new community you are trying to integrate into. Nevertheless, there is safety in a group. Partly, I also believe it's a question of pride. We've been active for years and know one other, if only remotely. Arriving on a new forum (an impressive one I might add), it's easier to seem 'as one' instead of an individual newbie.
3) Where did y'all come from? I.e, what forum just experienced the great immigration?
That's been covered.
4) Is this all just a conspiracy to kidnap Diana?
Lovely and delicious as she may be, no.
5) Should I be scared?
Very. I mean no, I'm always up for a chat and meeting new partners and people. Interaction and exchange is a great source for inspiration and new insight.