Question for the Iwaku Roleplayers!

NEW QUESTIONS!

What is your favorite kind of character to play?

What is your writing/playing style?

I will go first

-I like to play the smart, resourceful guy. Whether its the Batman-esque master of all trades, the resourceful MacGyver guy, or someone who just thinks quickly on his feet, the Smart Guy is my go-to archetype.
-I also enjoy playing fighters. Whether its a mage who uses magic in battle or a boxer or a military man, I like characters who can dish it and take it. Action scenes are my strongest suit, so choreographing a battle in my head and putting into words is always fun. I like different kinds of fights as well - martial arts battles are only one kind of fight. What happens if guns are involved? Or if someone likes to use the terrain? How does mobility affect the writing? How does magic and aliens and other things make the fight more interesting? I like those things.

-I actually prefer to play as the supporting character. The problem I find with a lot of RPers is that they fall into the notion that they MUST be the main character in the story. Fine, do that. The problem is, if you focus on your own storyline too much, you won't be able to engage your other players. So those of you who've played with me may have noticed I actively try to create subplots with other players. The whole point of forum RP is to play with others, so that's what I do.

• Love
Reactions: Diana
WELL. 8D Heroine Damsels. Cute, squishy, feminine women that are strong-willed.

I am very "in the head" of my characters. I write from their perspective and give a lot of inner thoughts and dialogue. I also don't write a lot of prose or flowery text. I'm usually very to the point (outside of character perspective) so my posts tend to be shorter.

Reactions: Fox of Spades

That's a tough one. If I'd been answering this question a few years ago, my answer would have been big dudes in heavy armor with large weapons, with a distinct preference for paladin types, with personalities ranging from apathetic to cynical with no pit stops in happy or optimistic areas.

Since then I've made an effort to push myself beyond my boundaries, and I've found that I can enjoy basically any kind of character. I've got a happy and optimistic illusion mage who's also a pacifist that I play currently, kind of the opposite of my previous preference, but I love playing her. I've played all sorts of things and have enjoyed them all, so it's hard to pick out one kind of character I like the most.

I guess the trait I enjoy the most in characters I play is wit. So long as the character is witty enough that I can reasonably have them think or say the snarky things I come up with, or to actually reasonably draw the same or similar conclusions I do as a player, then I can play them and love it regardless of their situation or profession or abilities. The characters that I have a hard time with are stupid ones, because I can't just go with my natural flow of writing and have to think about everything to make sure I'm not accidentally making them smarter than they should be.

For writing style, idk, I just write the way that feels right. Generally a lot of introspection, not a ton of detail given to external things. I do things to try to get into the mood or mental space of the character, most frequently by way of listening to music that fits them (for instance, this song is the mood setter for my post-apoc mutant with delusions of grandeur and a god complex), and then I get to writing. It just kind of flows naturally when I'm in the proper mindset for the character, no need to really think about it a ton, and there are probably some minor differences to how I write each character because of that. I guess it's sort of.. method writing? Similar to method acting.

My play style varies wildly, because I try to fit it to my characters and I play a wide range of them. Sometimes I'll be the guy taking charge and leading the way, sometimes I'll be the guy who hangs out on the sidelines and waits for other people to decide what to do. I do make a conscious effort to try to further plot or interaction with every post I make though, so people can actually use my posts to also move forward, but that can come in many forms so it's not a set play style really.

Don't have one, seeing as how I'm a GM and have been for years, I play all sorts of characters. I love thinkers and feelers, I love sloths and the energetic, I love heroism and villainy, love and hate, benevolence and tyranny--all of it works. I suppose my not-so-secret favorites however generally tend to be the ones with the highest player body count. I love how my orc with his warhammer has a higher player body count than any of my mini-bosses thus far.
Action->Reaction->Action->Reaction->Action->Reaction.

It's hard to define my style beyond the description "it is my own because it is mine." I write words into sentences and these sentences into paragraphs and these paragraphs into pages and those pages into a coherent tale, woven for players. I suppose my style can be defined as "the one where lots of people die, but hope perseveres."

When did you first get in to roleplaying?
~7 years ago.

What was your first forum or chat roleplay experience like?
Pretty cool. It was an RP about people trained to become monster hunters of sorts, I think, with a pretty cruel initiation arc. Amusingly, I jumped right into the deep where content-heavy posts were the norm. For me that was the only type of PbP RP'ing I knew about for my first year of doing it.

Tell us about your very first roleplay community!
It wasn't one. Rather it was an amateur game development forum. Some people I knew pulled me into it. Later I decided to expand, moving to roleplaygateway and shortly after roleplayerguild. The latter I've been active on for most of my RP'ing career.

What made you pick Iwaku?
Guildfall happened. Roleplayerguild went down for a month, at which point all the data was wiped. Not knowing why it wouldn't happen again, I backed everything up and went searching for a back-up forum in case of another fall. I ended up liking Iwaku, so started an RP here to test the community. I stayed at both the post-fall guild and Iwaku, but when the guild started acting up again, and there was nobody around to fix it, I talked to @Brovo and we decided to have had enough. And so we moved our RP's here and been on Iwaku since.

Why do you roleplay? What are you looking to get out of it?
Amusement. I don't pretend to improve my writing here (hell, I've allowed it to slip over the years), I am a horrible RP'r under stress, so escapism is no good either. I just want to have fun and that's honestly it.

I would say diva's and bastards, but honestly *counts characters* I have one bastard and two diva's active. Out of... 8 active characters? So I guess that sort of counts still? I don't know anymore. I play whatever I feel like at the time and tend to like characters better the more time I spend with them. My current favourite is actually a good guy, full of puns and wit, but also creative solutions. I like characters that make a presence somehow, though I'm sometimes hard-pressed to make one of them.

I don't know, tell me if you do.

• Thank You

+ Morbid characters with a bad sense of humor.

+ Awkward penguins that aren't too good at socializing.

+ Aloof and loyal quiet types that care more than they let on.

+ Outgoing and loud characters that enjoy pulling others along.

+ Silly pranksters with a penchant for mischief and trouble-making.

+ Stubborn characters who will fight tooth and nail for what they believe in.

+ The nice guy or gal that's fun to break 8D //shot

+ The apathetic pillar of support.

Haha, the list could go on and on. I enjoy variety and playing different characters is pretty interesting :bowtie:

2. What is your writing/playing style?

I'm not sure xD. Errm, I try to give what I get.

I like brainstorming and coming up with ideas, but I don't enjoy it when I'm doing all the work. It should be a give and take sort of thing.

I'm not too good a description and am hoping to improve ^^

• Thank You
Fav kind of chara:

Hmm let's see... I tend to do a caring boy who is more of a ranged person (ex: bows). If magic is involved, if possible he will also be a lightning user.

Now my typical female chara (that I have yet to start using again.... ^^;) is a more shy, often quiet kind of person. Sometimes will be the younger sister of the above male chara. If magic, then will be a healer.

One kind of chara I really want to try and play for female however.... Is a sadistic 10 yr old that likes knifes.... That has an innocent outside. (If possible, I would also use a pic of Rika Furude.... >.> <.< ). *shot*

In a roleplay that is a part of a series (on my first community), I have a 'staple character' you could say. It is a rp based off of a survival game with viewers that only comment manga (that was discontinued... (Poor sales) :/). He likes gore... And tormenting the players he watches... But admittedly that is all I have for him ^^;

Writing style:
I tend to do more reaction and to the point, I guess... *shrugs* that's how I view my rp style.

• Thank You