Quest Online Description/Character Sheets (Sword Art Online Inspired RP)

Re: Sword Art Online Inspired RP (Interest Check Not Detailed)

I love SAO, and I'm very interested in the plot.
So may I join too? :)

I'm not bothered about whether or not we include magic or ranged weapons and whatnot. As long as everything is balanced, it doesn't matter too much.

As for the races, I think having bonuses and weaknesses would be excellent, perhaps even extending that to gender and age - depending on how customisable the characters on the game would be.

I'll stay, either way, as long everything is well-balanced.

Alright guys Ill be working on the Detailed write up in just a few. Thank you for your feed back. This is what I gathered so far.

1. Keeping it strictly Blade weapon based will give the Rp much more risk of your characters. If you think about it, you now have to get close to fight, in a world that allows your skill to be a deciding factor, and how you use the Game based skills. If you mess up you can die just like that.. its unforgiving which adds so much to the drama factor. I do realize that some wanted to play mage based characters but, I think that it is the best option to leave out the magic for this roleplay so to keep the feeling of terror and the drama that should come with a world like this. So that is my final verdict on the matter of Magic, Please send me a PM if me deciding this changes anything for you, as I want to be accommodating as I possibly can be for this, to allow everyone a fair chance and really have fun with this.

2. With the races, I am keeping everything on a single race but we are going to say that there were lots of customization options. I personally think adding multiple races will give huge reasons to clique together for this roleplay, and I was thinking about that yesterday. Plus with it being strictly Blade use it would be difficult to give bonuses really I suppose. So the only Race available will be a human race. Note it is a fantasy world so we are going to say that when buying the game, you were able to buy things like elf ears, or cat, wolf etc.. tails.. cosmetic things to go with your character to make them unique. HOWEVER none of it will take efect on your game experience. I think this is a very good compromise for those that want to look more like an elf or have a neko or kitsune look to them.

3. Yes we are keeping your avatar experience and differentiating from how SAO did it. =)

4. Classes~ This I have not entirely decided on but I think im going to make a class with three levels for each blade type weapon style avaiable in the game. I think that will really make this epic even if it SLIGHTLY stirs away from SAO.

Please remember this is NOT entirely SAO I want this to be its own creation. Even so I want it to have its a good base to work from as well. Like I said about to get to work on this write up. After I finish this willb e the official sign up page as Im really just editing my current description to be the detailed one. Then you can pick one of your posts on this thread and edit it to be your character sheet.

Final note~ No one need ask no more about joining really. Please join, join whenever as long as you're interested then please join up whenever, after all it is a game so there will always be new characters popping up. PLEASE note for yourself though, that what level you will begin this att will depend upon what stage and level the rest of the players that started this are at. No whining when it comes to that if you're a late entry.

Thats all though thanks everyone I am off to writing, PM me if you need anything.

Several things. First off, I'm glad the magic got nixed. It is always a pain having to come up with a proper limiting system even after establishing laws and origin point. Second, why is it that we are limited to bladed weapons specifically? Third, if you're adding a leveling system, what will that directly affect? Please tell me some crappy dice roll system isn't going to be implemented.

Nevvy~ Im going to actually have a stat chart for this so to speak which effect how you perform compared to another in battle scenario. and a certain set amount of points will be added. NO DICE ROLL for this. Im going to have a list of Skills ready for every class available. Thats why this write up might take some time is getting everything Proper for this. it will be awesome this I promise, However no one will have their own separate in game skills that no one has. It will be the same as you entering an MMO you have all the Game based skills the game offers for your class, but someone else with your class will have those same skills maybe with points put more to one. You have the same options it will just depend on how people wish to build their character I think. Umm, I can make it strictly melee weapons actually since it is not SAO directly after all, Sure Ill do that. thank you for the suggestion. Is there anything else you'd like to ask?

Note~ Im working on the write up in word right now, so thats why I might be late with responses.

So we don't actually have the liberty to creatively fight and its going to be a grand rock paper scissors match. Please tell me that's not what you're saying.

BTW, are you going to create/include sword arts (that is, special attack-type moves)?

From what he said, its basically a given that there will be sword arts. I'm just hoping it doesn't becomes 100% arts and lose out on the actual skill part of it.

NOOO not at all, there will definitely be your own individual skill. The actual Sword Arts will be maybe like activating a berzerker rage that saccrifces all defense with your style and has it where your like berzerk attacking at high speeds. or One that places you at a defensive move so where you will take a lot less damage. things like that that enhance your skills with using your given weapon. Nothing that restricts the creative use of players how you use your weapon is how you use it, this is just the buffs that you can add in to your style to get an edge. does that make better sense?

Good, then. I hate it when people talk about skill, then chicken out by mixing up equality of opportunity with equality of result.

I am in agreement with you, I don't want this to become a Pissing contest. The write up is coming along nicely, just please no one butcher me for Length of this. I have to have it long to explain everything correctly. so yeah its going to be very long when its done v.v

If anyone whines over the length it means they would have been executed quickly anyway. No big loss.

Ohh, I like where this is going.

Mmmm... my question for the moment (and I apologize if the answer was stated and I just failed to read): are we limited to melee weapons? I mean, if I had an archer (for example), it would still be deadly because...well... look at ranged characters in a real MMO. You can nerf from afar in the best situations, yet once your enemy is close... well... run away, spam healing potions, or pray your evasion is high enough to prevent a slaughter.

RPing right of response rapes that strategy and I'm guessing it'll be answered by Wolfsin's weapon list that is pending. If I had to guess, the answer would be no since it'd all come down to the meele fighter's ability to either block the arrows or dodge well and then after that, there's no real fight to be had because the only way the archer would survive is to be a supremely better fighter in the first place... but then there wasn't even a chance to begin with.

Yes, we are limited to Bladed weapons.

I actually did change it a bit, it is not STRICTLY Bladed weapons for this particular rp. I did say it was SAO inspired but I felt it would be fun after the mention by Nevvy to give us some hammers maces, all the like. Im glad someone brought up archery. See thats where I am slightly stumped right now. i wanted to have 8 playable classes, and one I am offering is Archer, however It is pending. people bring really good points. If we do archery in this what will be there to judge honestly. If you are fighting a creature, you are just pegging them with arrows, but what really decides if it hits I guess. I mean I like the strategy involved with archers Im just have a difficult time coming up with a way to add it into this rp. Yes theres still danger but honestly it'd just be hard to rp in a fair way, and if ina one on one duel or trying to solo, you can forget it. I want peoples opinions on this of course, but I think they one way I would allow archery to be successful, is if when soloing you would need a cross bow at best, but you can't do really anything on your own if you play the archer class Im thinking IF it is kept, you will be strictly support really, fighting on your own and surviving is pretty much out of the question I would think. I personally feel thats fair, again IF I choose to keep Archery. However you guys let me know. Your feed back is helping me A LOT; this is NOT an easy write up XD

More Important question potentially~

To have this go off with super success I feel like a GM will be required to do some of the monster battled etc, I am perfectly fine with doing so. Now the big question is for some, It would be unfair in their eyes for me to play both the GM and a single character in the rp. I understand why that is, though I have desire to do it this way. I wish to ask you all what would you all be more comfortable with. Me as strictly GM for this, or me giving my word that I will be just as cruel a GM to myself as I would to any of you , so that I can also play a character while GMing. Please tell me what you think

Final note for now~

I am about to post what I have done of everything so far so I look forward to everyone reading and giving me some pointers or ideas that might help or just feed back. thank you. It will be in place of the starter post I did for this thread, so go to page one and read up in a second. =)

It doesn't really bother me if you've got a character and play GM. Alternatively, you could always appoint a second GM who can keep you in check, should you go powermad.

I'll answer all of those. Archers are impossible for pvp entirely because it hinges on the ability to block. If we assume that the others can block, archers lose (once again barring being so superior in skill that they'd win with a rubber band.). If we assume that the others cannot block, the archers win almost every time. If we assume something in the middle, you cannot assign a statistic or a ratio to it without turning this into some crappy dice roll system. For pve, this still stands true but in a slightly different sense, more concerning damage. An arrow's damage is a lot more ambiguous than a sword's. So the GM would have to constantly decide damage for them specificially. In addition, the archer posts would begin to be extremely monotonous. You can only shoot an arrow so many ways till you're reduced to behind the back trick shooting just to not copy pasting your last 10 posts.

I don't have a problem with the GM being a character. If there's a matter of abuse, we'll just take it upon ourselves to use to higher laws of RPing that go above a GM and kill the character with superior skill and generalized dogpiling. No problems here.