Quest For Drymera

[bg=#003333]

Annalilly Hawkins

Annalilly was mildly annoyed. Unlike her companions, she had at least gotten a little bit of rest. She failed to see why this wizard wasn't taking their exhaustion into account. It was bothering her because he was acting like he was some great magician who had just gone to great lengths to protect them. She could feel her insides churning as the argument went on, back & forth.

She watched helplessly as Caid spit up blood. He was injured, of course. Fighting a stone golem one on one wasn't a feat someone go could about doing alone. She knew that well, but oddly enough, his reckless injuries bothered her.

"That's enough," she said suddenly. She was serious now. This wizard was going way out of hand blaming them for every little thing. "If your brainless bandits hadn't attacked us, we wouldn't have defended ourselves. Is it really our concern you do business with the type that can't honor your trade fair & square?"

She glared at him, some kind of emotion was fizzing inside her chest. She didn't understand it, but she wanted to pry his staff from his fingers and poke him with it repeatedly. Somehow, imagining such a scenario satisfied her.

Is this...anger? Am I...angry ?

"We can't leave right away just because you're complaining about your high and mighty losses. Frankly, I think everyone needs some rest. Captain Ril offered you the chance to ask you what you want from us, but you're just bent on complaining! I suggest that if you're so determined to gain something from us, then come along with us on our journey."

Annalilly had never thought she would speak this much. Before she realized it, the words had come pouring out of her mouth in a rush. She hadn't consulted the others or even considered what they might think of what she was saying and just rambled. Still, she somehow felt relieved that she let her feelings out. She put her hand to her chest and let out a small sigh. She wasn't going to get used to this adventurous life too quickly.

[/bg]

Garrock shuffled uncomfortably against the chain. The beast was starting to get some of its strength back. It whipped out one of its massive arms, knocking Caid over. The creature got some enjoyment out of that, and it chuckled a little to itself. It grabbed at the ground, and again tried to lift itself up. As soon as the golem's arms were straight, they buckled, sending the beast into the earth again. It roared in frustration.

Gilgear frowned slightly, tilting his helmet down. He would have rather been properly identified as some sort of undead than as a... 'leper golem' for this far-too-loud wizard. His eyes narrowed as he had decided to poke him. After he had risked his own being to defend the wizard, he had so rudely poked him!

"Noooo hoooonoooorrr..." He moaned, before turning his back on the wizard. Thankfully, Anna had been a lot more skilled vocalizing her displeasure. With a shake of his head and a rasping sigh, he quietly moved to Caid, helping to move the man out of the golem's reach.

Giving a nod to the man, he then quietly moved to look at Anna. "Rest... yessss...." He looked to Malvolen. "Nooo... mooooneeey... we're juuuust staaaarting on a quuuest." He lowered his eyelids, as if it were obvious. "Oooor doooo yoooou seee a gooold-plaaated carriaaage neaaarby...?"

Satisfied, he walks to Bria and offers a respectful bow. "I aaaam glaaad yooouuu aaaare aaaalriiiight... pleeease leeet ussss reeetireee..." He ends this, covering his mouth and looking away from the group as he coughs in a painful-sounding manner, remnants of coagulated blood bursting from his mouth.

[BG=#350000]
[dash=#000088]Cisk Soldan
Cisk heard shouting. He'd gone to meet with some old war buddies and put them on the trail of information. He hadn't, he thought, been gone that long. And somehow "Bria" had doubtless managed to land the whole crew in trouble. Again. She was in for an army-style dressing down once he put out this brushfire for her.

As he got closer, he could make out what the voices were saying. They didn't help his already-foul mood. He cleared the side street and bellowed in his loudest parade ground voice.

"SHUT IT, YOU LOT!" He stalked foreward in the startled silence that followed (Save for the growling of the golem.) "You!" he yelled, pointing at the wizard, "Mage! I don't care HOW MUCH your components cost, it's on your own budget if you use 'em. If you want pay out of us, you'll do as the young lady suggests and tag along and render service! IS THAT UNDERSTOOD?"

Without waiting for a reply, he walked around in front of the golem. "And as for you..." He swung his shield edgewise at the golem's face, connecting with the "eyes" hard enough to crack the stone and dent the edge of his shield. "Sometimes if you hit 'em hard enough it breaks the connection. Feedback, or something like that," he explained in a much calmer voice.

"Now," he continued in an equally calm, much more dangerous voice, "would someone care to explain to me just how this clusterfuck happened?"[/dash]
[/bg]

[bg=#3A3134]
[dash=#6C9189]Bria No'el

Bria was really hoping everyone would stop yelling. Occasionally she had raised a hand or a finger to interject, but there was really no room to do so! She bit her lip. Bria had the money to pay the wizard, but they would need other supplies, not to mention getting the Captain's sword repaired. The others had a point as well, that he was acting of his own accord and it wasn't their duty to pay him!

But, she was more than happy to offer her smile at Gilgear's suggestion for rest. He was coughing blood, and well, she knew he was already dead, but surely undead needed some sort of rest too.

At least until Cisk finally made his reappearance and looked angry enough to skin them all alive too. Bria felt just the tiny bit responsible... She had been trying to get Gilgear in to the village when that Golem appeared and chased them inside.

"Well... it was a bit chaotic, really." she said softly, twisting the edge of her shirt in her hands. "I was speaking to Gilgear, then the rock beastie came out of the trees. He chased us and started smashing up all sorts of things. Everyone did an exceptional job of trying to contain him and this wizard gave aid. All of the shouting was unnecessary, but the beast is bound now, and no one is seriously injured." She fretted a bit about Caid's condition, Annalilly's exhaustion, the Captain's sword, and Gilgear's health... but that was it! It could have been worse!
[/dash]
[/bg]

[BG=#350000]
[dash=#000088]Cisk sighed resignedly. "All right, then." He scanned the area quickly, and then began issuing orders. "Annalilly, if you know how to heal and feel up to it, go take care of him," he said, pointing to Caid. "Otherwise, go find him a healer. Rilikan, two streets down there's a blacksmith's called Farrad's. Tell them Captain Soldan sent you and they'll give you a discount. Get your sword taken care of. I somehow don't think we'll be welcome to spend the night in the town now, so we'll camp by the gate. Aubrielle, since I doubt you thought to prepare for that, go to a general goods store - there's one just a street over - and buy five one-man tents. Don't pay more than ten marks apiece."

He grunted and shifted his stance. "Well, what are you all waiting for?"[/dash]
[/bg]

[dash=#6C9189][BG="grey"]Ah, the leader at last! Malvolen thought as the man in dragoon armour arrived with his attitude unsheathed. The Wizard was just getting ready to ignore the girl and frown at the leper, but this new appearance made him reconsider. He rested his hands on his staff and watched Cisk bark out his orders.

Nothing for him yet. At least this leader had some respect.

As the others got themselves organised, Malvolen took out his pipe and lit up as he wandered over to the Golem, standing behind its head so it couldn't swipe at him.

"Feedback, indeed!" the Wizard scoffed. Then he puffed on his pipe and stared at the creature, muttering to himself. "Never seen a golem with emotions before. Seems to have a modicum of intelligence too. A brace of idiosynchrasies you have, my stoney friend."

From across the courtyard, some of the Militia soldiers were returning with his cases. Malvolen beckoned them to set the luggage down, including a particularly large blue chest which he proceeded to drag over to behind the Golem's head. Taking a seat, he puffed on his pipe again and tapped the Golem between the eyes.

"Now. Golem, can you understand me?"

[/BG]
[/dash]

"Just your final word, general," said Ril congenially. Sarcastic though the remark was, he was grinning rather widely, pleased to see someone who could end the debate and get on with things. He turned around and headed off in the indicated direction, thinking he would have to find a mystic sometime soon, and find out whether the group had been cursed or something before their journey began. He'd never had a trip--though admittedly all his previous trips were on the sea--run into so many obstacles in such a short time. He was paused in front of the smithy's shop when a thought came to him: What did that soldier just call Bria? The name sounded familiar...

[bg=#003333]

Annalilly Hawkins

Amazing. Cisk was amazing. He had just appeared and taken command of the situation so quickly that Annalilly was left speechless. His orders to everyone slowly formulated a general picture in her mind that nearly made her smile. He was thinking of everything they needed to before they could get rest so that they'd be ready to depart soon. Annalilly was impressed. But before she could let herself express that happiness on her face, she remembered her duty. Moving over to Caid, she took a look at his injuries. It didn't seem like anything major, so knelt down, sitting on her knees beside him.

"No sudden movements & don't think about it too much." She said quietly. It helped when the person was relaxed and not anxious. She could tend to the blood flow better. "Close your eyes. Relax." She unfurled her palms, let out a small breath and closed her eyes, holding two fingers of each hand crossed in front of her lips. A small glow swirled about her hands. Then she reached out with one palm and held it near his shoulder. In her mind, she could see the bloodflow of his entire body & its injuries and send the healing magic to specific locations.

Healing magic was fairly simple if you used it generally, for a quick fix healing that required little energy, but did not completely heal the injuries, just helped them heal faster. The kind of magic Annalilly had learned, however, was a little more complicated. She was using more than the usual amount so that she could eliminate the injuries altogether. The magic gave a feeling of warmth to the person it was used on.

Just a little...more...and he should be fine... Annalilly knew she was pushing herself a little bit, but she didn't want to be the weakling of the group. She decided with herself that Caid was strong enough to bear a little soreness, albeit the injuries were healed. When she was done, she opened her eyes and pulled her hand away, placing her hands on her cheeks. It always felt nice to feel the warmth of the magic that still remained tingling on her fingertips.
[/bg]

Garrock had been doing its best to ignore the conversation until the one called Cisk appeared. His shouting and edge of command made even Garrock stay silent and listen. Not that the beast could understand all that was being said, but his command was powerful.

The wizard, the one Garrock was determined to kill once it got free, had acted like he owned it. And now he was talking to the golem! Should Garrock talk back? The golem had a grasp of some words. Garrock tried to roll itself around to get a look at the wizard. The beast ended up flat on its back. But it had succeeded in finding the wizard. He looked puzzled, and just a little cross. He reminded Garrock of its creator.
"Garrock...Talk," the golem said. many fell silent and stared at the creature. "Garrock...hungry." At this Garrock made a weak snatch for his legs, but the old wizard was too quick.

[bg=#3A3134]
[dash=#6C9189]Bria No'el

The very moment Cisk said her name, she looked like a deer caught in headlights! Quickly she recovered - no one else had seemed to catch it and she wasn't going to make a scene! Without a word of confirmation, Bria was dashing off down the street to do exactly as ordered! How did he know? She had been fairly careful, hadn't she? Yet, he said Aubrielle plain as day.

Bria had marched a good ways down the street and away from the others before she realized she had no idea where the General Store was supposed to be. She was so intent on escaping she hadn't thought to ask! Ooh, but she wouldn't dare go back empty handed, Cisk was mean enough as it was. She'd just have to find it!
[/dash]
[/bg]

Caid skipped across the ground from the golem's massive arm taking a decent swipe at him. This certainly didn't speed up his healing and it made Caid slightly angry. He slowly stood back up and started to approach the beast and just as he was about throw his blades right into its eyes, their iron-clad comrade came out of nowhere barking orders. Admittedly Caid recognized that the man got the job done, but you can't really expect much else from a Dragoon.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Caid calmed himself and wiped his mouth with his sleeve, waiting for the little one to come over and try healing him. He could see she felt confident about it so Caid wasn't very concerned with the outcome of her healing. Soon after she started he felt the warming of the magic, then a slight pain where there splinter was. The magic seemed to have reached right in and pushed the splinter right out, then closed his wound. The sensation flowed into the rest of his body into his other nicks and scratches from his tumble through the bread shop. <o:p></o:p>
After she was done Caid stood back up and rotated his arm forward a few times. He felt a bit sore but it was much more welcome than the pain that was bothering him earlier. He bent back down and picked up the bloodied splinter, wrapped it up in a cloth and stuck it in his belt. <o:p></o:p>
"Add that to the collection later..." he said quietly to himself. He then turned back to Annalilly and gave her a warm smile. <o:p></o:p>
"I'd say this makes us even but I have a feeling we'll be helping each other out quite a bit. If things keep going the way they are, you're going to become even more valuable to your group, and I think they already know that. Good job" he placed his hand on her shoulder and gave her a solid but gentle squeeze of reassurance. <o:p></o:p>
Caid turned his gaze back over to Cisk. His presence brought back military memories before he cut loose on his assassination missions; working with an actual unit, marches, things like that. Looking around he saw that everyone seemed to have something to do, except Caid. He glanced down the road and saw Bria practically mindlessly walking right past the street with the General Goods Store, so quickly Caid jogged up and caught her attention. <o:p></o:p>
"Ah Miss, the store's right back this way." He tapped her shoulder than pointed a little bit behind them, seeing this as a partial opportunity to speak with her now that things had finally quieted down. <o:p></o:p>
"Your little friend did quite an amazing patch job on me. Fixed me up so quickly I almost forgot I was even injured" he cast a friendly smile as they walked to the store. <o:p></o:p>
"I've nothing to do at the moment so if it's alright with you, I’ll help carry the items." and then Caid felt it was time to be blunt. <o:p></o:p>
"I barely was able to mention this earlier, but to keep it short and sweet, I'd very much like to join you and your lively crew on whatever journey it is you all are on. I haven't been a part of anything big since the war and to be honest I feel as though I've lost all other purpose. I figure tagging along and helping anyway that I can might fill that whole in my life. And I’m afraid that that came out a bit more selfish sounding than I’d like..." Caid chuckled lightly. It's the first time he actually voiced out his insecurities. <o:p></o:p>

Gilgear's calm eyes looked to Cisk as many people ordered many other people around - save him. The undead guard sighed in a rasping manner. He was no leader - he was barely even a knight. Was he supposed to stand here and look menacing? Was he just supposed to leave? He hadn't gotten any orders otherwise...

...When the golem spoke, it was Gilgear who looked upon the beast with sympathy. He was hungry, too. "Gaaarrok... isss theee gooolem's naaaaame, theeen...? Hellooooo, Gaaaarrrrrooook... I aaam Gilgeeeeear." Slowly, the undead man reaches a bony hand into a small bag near his belt. A fist-sized chunk of meat... probably has been there since he died. Still, it was something.

Showing it to Garrok, the undead knight underhand-tossed it toward the golem's mouth. Offering a kind smile to the creature, he promptly ignores any yelling he gets for a show of mercy to this fallen foe, before turning and walking towards the wall of a building. He rests his back against it and slowly slumps down into a sitting position, crossing his arms over his chest.

He blinks. Wait - what who called Bria who when now?

The walking leftovers had come to speak with Garrock. His voice was a strange hiss. The golem was surprised when the dead man pulled a chunk of meat out from a pouch at his side. The creature was even more surprised by the dead man's offer of food. But Garrock was hungry, and as much as it preferred live food, it flailed with one of its arms until it grabbed the meat, and shoved the whole thing into its mouth.

The beast shifted its head so that it could follow Gilgear as he walked away. Garrock was still mad it couldn't stand, but the kind gesture of food had stopped it from roaring. It looked at gilgear like a dog trying to find its owner.

[dash=#6C9189][BG="grey"]Malvolen sat on his trunk-chest, chin on one fist. His eyes widened as he saw the leper take out the meat, then one eye narrowed as he saw the leper toss the meat to the Golem. And thus the Wizard was left with a puzzled expression as he watched Garrock gobble up the morsel in its stony jaws.

"It eats too? Inconceivable!"

Malvolen sounded slightly upset, as if some fundamental disrespect had been shown to the cosmos. Shaking his head at the Golem, the Wizard got up and headed over to the fellow in Dragoon armour who had just barked out all the orders.

As was his traditional greeting, Malvolen tapped Cisk on the shoulder with his staff, nudging until he got the man's attention.

"You there! I was discussing business with your henchmen. I can follow you as far as the Ancil Basin and provide arcane services. All I need in return is protection from the local wildlife - most of whom are now out to kill me thanks to your previous antics."

He raised his finger before Cisk could say anything. "And yes yes, your lackeys have already insisted that it wasn't your fault you slaughtered all the bandits and brought a mongrel Golem into town. In the circumstances, I would think a group with such a tenuous grasp on empirical reasoning could use my services, don't you?"

He folded his arms inside his robe as the evening air grew a little colder. And behind them, Malvolen's two chests sprouted small wooden legs and scuttled past Garrock, stopping behind their master in case he wanted to sit down again.

[/BG]
[/dash]

[BG=#350000]
[dash=#000088]Cisk was on his way over to the guard captain to smooth things over when the wizard decided he wanted to make an ass of himself. He would have just let the pompous goose stew, but the klonk sound the man's staff made against his armor was bloody annoying.

He did a precise about-face and glared into the wizard's eyes. "What." he bit out.

Cisk listened impassively to the wizard's ill-conceived and ill-constructed sales pitch - the whole thing - and allowed the hostile silence to stretch, deliberately insulting the wizard by delaying his response until just before the point where most men would find themselves compelled to continue.

"The bandits' deaths are their own faults," he ground out, icicles forming on his words, "and no one else's. The golem I am not prepared to discuss. You, Isovan," he gave the wizard a stiff push in the chest with his finger to underscore his point, "are on thin ice already. You may accompany us if you wish. You will receive no compensation. You will acquire your own supplies. You will assist in the defense of the group as required. You will preform your share of duties, whatever I deem that share to be. These are the terms. Take them or leave them."

Turning towards the wall, he started out the gate. "Guardsman Kindall, please inform your commander that I would like to speak to him at his convenience. Also, please inform my companions as to my whereabouts as you encounter them," he said in a much more pleasant tone. Then, "Gilgear!" he barked. "Come on, we're scouting and preparing a camp site."[/dash]
[/bg]

[bg=#003333]

Annalilly Hawkins

A feeling of warmth flooded Annalilly as Caid appreciated her with kind words. Something about his smile flickered through her mind, imprinted like a precious memory. She wasn't quite sure why, but she pushed the feeling away as she got up, nodding. She was at a loss for words, almost relieved when he left to speak to Bria. Letting her hands fall to her sides, Annalilly didn't give it anymore thought, turning to hear Cisk speaking to the wizard. His response almost made her snicker. Served the wizard right, for all his selfishness.

Annalilly made her way over to Cisk quietly. She had done what he had asked so she supposed she might as well assist him and Gilgear in setting up camp.

[/bg]

[dash=#6C9189][BG="grey"]So, the wench and the hairy peasant had gone shopping, the pirate had gone to get his sword fixed, and the leper and the girl had followed after that rude, armoured, son-of-a-whore Calliad Dragoon.

This left Malvolen and the Golem alone in the courtyard. And the wizard's suitcase of course, which had been watching the exchange between Malvolen and Cisk. The luggage-familiar was clicking its magical legs together - a sound that could almost be taken as sniggering.

"Quiet you!" Malvolen snapped.

The suitcase turned on its legs and picked up the second trunk-chest on its back - the red one that contained Malvolen's spell components. Then is scuttled back to its master, who began to rope the two cases together. He always said he would get the second suitcase animated one of these days, but he had never gotten round to it. And besides, the blue suitcase seemed to enjoy carrying his red, unanimated brother, so there was no point upsetting the status quo.

"Well, this obnoxious fellow and his lackeys should be enough to keep the bandits off my back," he muttered as he secured his staff amongst the ropes.

The blue trunk clacked in agreement.

Standing, Malvolen put some more tobacco in his pipe and wandered back towards the Golem. "As for you, my carniverous elemental, we must agree a deal of our own." He puffed on his pipe as he thought. "The spell to remove those chains will take a good deal of preparation. If you accompany us and refrain from eating anyone without permission, then I can release you in good time."

The sentient suitcase, now with the red one strapped to its back, leaned out from behind the wizard's legs and peered at the Golem.

[/BG]
[/dash]

Garrock was surprised when the ornery wizard began to speak. The beast was hiding its strength, it was already almost fully recovered, it was just waiting for the right moment to strike. Unfortunately, the beast knew that moment wouldn't come as long as it was chained up. And it did hate being chained up.
The golem heard Malvolen's proposition, though there were parts it didn't comprehend. It understood being released from its chains, though, and its feeding restrictions. Garrock tugged at its chains again, once more to no avail. It growled. The golem hadn't had a master in some time, and didn't like the concept of its new master being Malvolen. It wouldn't mind the dead man, though. He had given Garrock food. And he hadn't attacked it, like the others.
"Garrock...No eat," the golem said reluctantly. The triumphant look on the wizard's face faded, though, when it added, "But you not master...Garrock...go to dead man...Dead man no attack Garrock...Dead man give Garrock food."

[bg=#3A3134]
[dash=#6C9189]Bria No'el

AND SO THE NEXT MORNING, BRIGHT AND EARLY...

The rest of the night for the weary travelers went without incident. Sleeping outside the village in small tents on wet squishy ground was probably a cold and unpleasant evening for those unused to harsh travel conditions. By morning, there was a chill hanging in the air along with a thick fog rolling across the earth. Most of the village hadn't risen yet, leaving a quiet and almost eerie scene.

Bria was awake bright and early not because she was well rested, but for the vest opposite reasons. She hadn't been able to sleep, not with the ground, nor the cold, or the knowing that somewhere out in the dark might be more bandits or cranky golems! She was still surprised that the wizard managed to convince the golem to behave and at least temporarily join them. Including Caid, they had managed to add three people to their group in one short night! Hopefully finding Drymera would be so much easier with the extra eyes and ears.

Up and packing things, Bria prepared to get the group moving just as soon as everyone else was awake, bright-eyed and exciting to get moving.
[/dash]
[/bg]