Pursuers of Arcana (Magical Shonen-Inspired Roleplay)

Reanimator Buns

Just some gal who's a necromancer
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Genres
Fantasy Romance, Scifi
I've had an itch for an RP based around Magic School bs. So I've been thinking of making one. I thought it would be an interesting premise to specify different kinds of spell casters, so I would like to establish a few.

Sources of Magic

Wizardry: Every person is capable of manipulating the world around them through intense study. Some find this more difficult and either do not wish to spend the time to invest in it, or do not possess the money necessary to seek tutelage. However, it is the most widespread form of magic. As it functions from the basic building blocks of the world, it is incredibly formulaic making most spells preparatory or ritualistic in nature. Many wizards require a spellbook or scrolls in order to cast spells effectively in combat

Sorcery: In some rare circumstances a child will be born with supernatural abilities. There are many causes of it, ranging from bloodline, birth sign, to even pure chaotic energies. However they are innately magical allowing them to perform magic without need for study or practice. Their abilities are often incredibly specific, resulting in them possessing one unique magic to them. As sorcery is often somewhat chaotic and hard to control, Sorcerers are brought in by the school in order to train them from an early age. While not the same as Wizardry, studying the same building blocks of the world still helps sorcerers understand how their abilities affect the world

Pact: Pact magic is obtained as a short-cut. By forming a pact with a more powerful being, a person is allowed to borrow a part of their power. While most pacts are forged with magical creatures (Angels, Demons, Dragons, Fey, Sphinxes) pacts can be forged with powerful sorcerers or wizards as well. Pact magic is often frowned upon as it is seen as lazy. The way that someone who refuses to learn uses magic. However, they are allowed at the school. Wielders often study law, language, and the nature of pacts in order to ensure they get a good deal.

Worldsong: The oldest as well as a highly enigmatic form of magic that many still are trying to understand. The currently accepted theory is that the world actually retains memories of actions of great consequence be it good or bad. This results in the stories of such deeds actually being able manipulate the world in some manner. Famous myths and legends are sometimes thought to be impactful deeds performed in another world, or from another era from long ago. This is known as the "Worldsong" theory. Though anyone can learn these stories, only a select few are actually able to tap into their power.

Artifice: Artifice could easily be seen as science and engineering in our world. However, in a world of magic, these technologies are seen as no different. The users of Artifice use objects with unique properties in order to create magical effects. This includes creating devices capable of harvesting lightning, alchemical mixtures, or black powder creations. There are some who see this form of magic as trivial while others view it as the next step into a new age.

Possible Ways to Take This

Obviously there are many ways to take this. My current thought is to treat this like most shonen anime with students being taught magic in a fantasy world and being sent on missions or field trips as a means to further their training. There would likely be other rival schools and a villainous people as well as the always beloved tournament arc.

I'm interested in if anyone has any ideas they might like to share as well. Let me know if something comes to mind!

Last edited:
Reactions: Monbon
I could be interested. Do you have any idea what the posting schedule would be like?

Would likely be looking for at least once a week.

Thanks. I'm working on a lore page soon after work.

Question: how does everyone feel about non-standard races being given more of a chance? Like merfolk or centaurs being available as characters as well as humans and elves?

I'm completely down for making non-human characters, so long as I have a list of what types of characters can exist

I'm also quite keen to join this RP. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

I am interested but make no promises. I agree with kook on that thing. (~o.o)~

Please allow me to play a ridiculous race please allow me to play a ridiculous race please allow me to play a ridiculous race.

Oh right and I'm kind of interested.

@kookyboy9 @Monbon

I will likely have a list of typical races, but @Cresion Breezes if you have something in mind let me know. I'll see what I can fit in.

Anyway, I am working on typing up magic info and explaining how the different sources of magic alter their abilities, but if anyone has any immediate questions feel free to ask away

So I posted a new bit explaining the different forms of magic as well as a few other things in the lore page. I am open to answering any questions you may have. I will be working on a Sign-ups and will be utilizing Discord for the OoC.

In the mean time, here is a CS Template

Appearance

(Image of Character here)

Name:
Race:
Magic Source:

Biography

Personality:
(A brief description of how your character acts)

History:
(A longer description of how your character came to wish to study magic in the first place)

Magic

(How does your character use magic? Remember that each Source of Magic acts differently. i.e. an Artificer typically doesn't practice spellcasting and relies solely on their inventions, or a wizard is likely less powerful than a sorcerer, but far more versatile in their abilities)

Extra
This section is more freeform, typically involving more meta information such as Theme Song, Alternate outfits, Voice Actor, who the Face Claim is etc

Oh? Do we follow the template to keep things uniform or are we allowed to use our own codes?

Feel free to use your own coding so long as the info is all there. Just try not to clutter it too much. Sparkly Cs's are great and I've even made a few. But they can sometimes be a pain to read through (or even impossible if viewing from a phone)

Here is a sign-ups thread

• Thank You
Aah, you horrible person. I'm super busy but this looks so damn promising.