1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, politics, historical fiction, romance
z294oeB.jpg

Evie Pike is a pure young woman. Restraining from sexual activity throughout
her entire life, she has led an existence that makes her Catholic parents proud.
She attends a university in South Carolina where she studies business and music,
all while working as an assistant librarian at the local high school. Her life is on
track with her elaborate plan. She is confident in her bright and bustling future.

Until, that is, she came across an unfortunate medical accident.

Terry Lewis is a simple man. As a high school history teacher, his life is exciting
and full of charm, or so he likes to think. He survived cancer and makes a simple
living doing what he loves, unburdened by the troubles of the average life. He
feels he has succeeded in finding happiness where it did not used to be.

However, everything changes faster than either can imagine. After becoming
accidentally inseminated with a sample taken before Terry's cancer, Evie is
pressured by her overbearing parents and faced with a difficult and awkward
set of choices that will define her future and change it forever.

Chapter One
The Meeting

1a34d4fbfae3e042d1bcc20e0b0667ae.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: lizziebrose
[fieldbox=Evangeline Pike, plum, solid, 0, TIMES NEW ROMAN]
[BCOLOR=transparent]The library was deadly quiet, as any good library was. The only time she found a rush of noise was when teachers brought a class to check out a book in mass, or use the computers for some useless group project. They always left a trail of trash and crude remarks in their wake, and she could not say that she had applied for the job to work with teenagers. Truly, she could not says he applied for the books either. Evie had wanted nothing more than the numb satisfaction that came from creating order out of a mess, and a library was the ideal victim for her organizational skill. She was too young, but the pay was better than working at starbucks, and the Vice Principal had liked her. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Liked her, or [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]liked [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]her, she couldn’t tell.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Mrs. Greyson was in charge of it all, but she was an insufferable gossip. She used her time to move from classroom to classroom and chat, leaving Evie to stay behind and work. Or, on days like today, abuse the internet. The tiny cursor in her email’s reply box flashed tauntingly, reminding her that she had found no appropriate reply to the ‘father’s’ email. It felt strange calling him that, but ‘donor’ was so sterile. It paired with what she was, the ‘accidentally inseminated’, which sounded equally as bad. But it was her egg, her body, and her decisions now. Truly, he had no rights to the child. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]But Evie could not sleep, let alone live with herself without telling him. He had no obligation, but she had been just as unsuspecting. If she had been in his shoes, she would have wanted to know. From the words on the screen it appeared she had done the right thing, but she was still entirely uneasy with the situation. Her stomach rolled, and she let a hand drop against her abdomen in an attempt to hold her snack down. At first she had been reluctant to touch her stomach, filled with the very last thing she wanted to be growing inside her. But she could not bring herself to be rid of it, not when it was half her. Not ever, but especially not when it was half her; and half...stranger. This stranger, who was so eager to meet her. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]It was either her mother’s fault, or the result of her sheer lack of backbone. There was no need for a pap smear without the threat of STD’s, and she had absolutely no threat. It was one of the few perks of abstinence, and it was taken away in the midst of a very uncomfortable mother daughter shopping trip. Georgina Pike was utterly concerned about her daughter’s ‘feminine health’, though Evie couldn’t help but feel she was more concerned about her virtue. At the end of the trip her stance was made very clear; if she wanted them to continue to help pay for her school, she would see the doctor of her mother’s choosing.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The doctor of her mother’s choosing was a drunk. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]There had been the distinct redness of his eyes to tip her off, but she was far more concerned about the fact that it was a [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]him. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]No man had seen her naked since she was a child, and she had been at the height of anxiety while he conducted the procedure with robotic small talk and cold hands. She should have known that it had taken an actual eternity, and that his warnings about ‘cramping’ were odd. But she had been unprepared, violated, and entirely inclined on suppressing the memory the moment she left the office. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Truly, she did not think of it again. Not until she’d woken up in the hospital with the stomach flu from hell, that would surely vanish in a few months. The shock to her own system was nothing compared to her mother’s violent reaction; though perhaps [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]violent [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]was not the right word. It was cold, biting, a disownment. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“It’s impossible.” She’d told them, insistent that the tests must be wrong. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“It’s the penance for sin.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Mom, I didn’t-,”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“You can lie to me all you want Evangeline, but you cannot lie to God.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The words had all but incapacitated her, but her father’s cold indifference was what truly reduced her to tears. They left her in the emergency room, a weeping mess that none of the nurses truly wanted to deal with. It had been another week before she’d had any solid answers, and an email for this man who had masturbated into a cup so many years ago.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Oh, she was definitely going to be sick.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]There was little more than a few grapes and some ginger ale for her to wretch up, but she made sure to chew three pieces of gum in the staff bathroom before she returned. Mrs. Greyson had found her way back to the shelves by the time she returned. Evie made her way back to the desk quickly, settling into her chair just as the woman asked “Why are you emailing Mr. Lewis?” Evangeline was immediately stiff, wondering how the woman knew Terrance Lewis, and if she had read the previous email. But Mrs. Greyson seemed genuinely concerned, turning to look at the red head with a raised brow. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Does he have a book out?”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Mr. Lewis?”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“That’s his email. His private email, actually. You should use the school one if it’s about a book.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“He works here?”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“If he didn’t work here, why would he have a book out?”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Mr. Lewis. She’d heard of Mr. Lewis, though she could not say she’d ever seen him. The fact that he was a teacher gave her a fleeting sort of hope, an assurance that he was probably not a criminal or a pedophile. Likewise, she’d never heard anything negative about him going through the halls.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Are you going out for lunch?”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“What?”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“It’s lunch time.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Oh. No, but I’m going to run out to my car.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Closing her email, Evie pushed back from the desk with a quiet anxiety bubbling up in her chest. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Do you know where Mr. Lewis’s classroom is? I might just stop in and see if he has that book on him.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“132.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Thanks.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Smoothing her skirt, she pulled her cream colors sweater off the back of her chair and pulled it on over her black dress. Evie couldn’t help but feel as though she were on some sort of secret mission as she made her way through the halls, dodging the hordes of students who were in a rush to find a ride to a drive thru before the last bell rang. When she found room one thirty two she walked right past the classroom, lingering in the hall for a moment while she worked up the courage to go back. Her feet felt like lead as she dragged herself forward, leaning around a set of lockers to peek through the glass panel on the door.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Her father was going to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]shoot her. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He was too large for his desk, decently handsome, and black. Her baby was black. Her mother would stop insisting on adoption and demand it, because their was no way their unwed daughter could be seen carrying a-, had he just waved at her? Evie’s heart sunk into her stomach as she was caught in the act, looking into the eyes of a man who had no idea who she was. He beckoned her again, inviting her into the class room, but she was frozen. Knees locked in place, she considered turning to run back towards the library. This was not how they should be meeting, but he had already seen her, and she did not want to explain herself when they finally met up for coffee. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]With a heavy hand she turned the knob on the door, pulling it open to slip inside the classroom. It smelled like every other class room, looked like every other class room, but he was not just a co worker. For a moment she looked terribly lost, but her lips curved up into a smile that was more nervous hysteria than joy.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Hi. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be bothering you on your lunch break…” She gestured to the door as though she were going to leave, but something kept her glued in place. “Are you Terrance Lewis?” [/BCOLOR][/fieldbox]

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: moffnat
[fieldbox=|| Terrance Lewis ||, tan, solid, 0, courier new]
Terry stared at his computer screen as if the words would change before his eyes. No matter how hard he willed them to, he knew his limits. He bounced his leg to the beat of his nervousness, rereading her words over and over again until they felt they started to sink in, though they never did. Medical accident. Insemination. Fatherhood. He couldn't in a thousand years contemplate how he should feel in a moment like this, in something so unplanned that put his entire thought process on a drastic hold. Terry never believed that his donation would lead to an accidental pregnancy. He thought that he could offer some gift to a woman struggling to conceive, that he could bring someone happiness with the only biological child he could ever have. Never would he have imagined it would lead to this. He rubbed his face in his hands and wondered how the hell he was going to get past the situation, how he would offer his condolences and pray that she had enough mercy in her heart not to abort.

But it ain't my choice anymore. It never was. He scratched the stubble on his cheek and pondered that a moment. It really wasn't his call, was it? Did he have a say? Biologically, the child was his and he had a right to want it. But he couldn't force the poor girl to have his child simply because of that. Still, perhaps if he explained that this was his only shot at a child...

No. It felt too manipulative. He closed out of his inbox and tapped his fingers on the desk, hoping he could come up with a better way to pass his time apart from obsession over a decision that wasn't his to make. He picked up his sandwich and took a bite, trying to focus on the taste of fresh turkey and havarti cheese, one of his favorite mixes. He took a deep drink of Pepsi to wash it down and pondered his lesson plan for fifth period, but still, all that came to mind was a baby that might never live. Damn it, he thought with a sigh. Should've just never done it at all.

In the corner of his eye, he noticed a pair of dark brown eyes gazing at him through the blinds of his classroom door. Thankful for the distraction, he wiped the crumbs of bread off on his pants and gestured for the young woman to come in. He recognized her as the librarian's assistant--a cute girl to say the least, but she always had her head in the future and her eyes anywhere but on him. He assumed she wasn't interested in conversation and as such, he'd avoided it.

Until today, of course. And every day hereafter.

When the redheaded woman entered, Terry flashed a smile that said he wasn't preoccupied with anything--a lie--and he diverted his attention to her with ease. "Miss, uh...Miss Pike, right? In the library?" He took another bite of his sandwich and pointed to one of the student chairs. "You can take a seat if you want. What can I do for ya?"[/fieldbox]

He said her name, and her heart froze like ice in her chest. The clarification only hung in the balance for a brief moment, but it was plenty of time for her to suffer what might have been a small stroke. Her face was fixed in that anxious smile, but there was something desperate behind her eyes as he asked her to sit. In truth, Evie was stunned that he hadn't made the connection. She was even more stunned that he knew who she was, and incredibly embarrassed that she could not recall seeing him before. Had they shared a conversation? Had she checked a book out for him?

Had she been carrying on conversations with the father of her child without knowing it?

His face was not so forgettable, but she was not always so aware. It was one of the many reasons she could not go into law as her parents wanted; her sheer lack of interest in the world around her. She could create a melody in her head and put it down on paper before she'd ever played it, but she could not remember if she had seen the father of her child. One of her heels scuffed the floor as she stepped towards the chair, though she did not make it to a seat. Instead she lingered, wringing her hands as she watched him take another large bite of his sandwich.

"I really don't want to bother you on your lunch."

The words were insistent, though she made no move to leave. Her auburn hair had been piled on top of her head, but only to keep it out of the way while she wretched her way through the afternoon. Even now she could smell his sandwich, and the scent of it threatened to turn her stomach against her.

"I do work in the library. But I'm actually..I think you missed something. We both missed something. I'm Evangeline Pike, and you're Terrance Lewis." Her face was with an anxious sadness that suggested she was about to tell him his family had died. The final words were soft, barely whispered, in case she had the wrong man. "I sent you an email?"[/fieldbox]

• Love
As an adult, Terry should know better than to gasp with food in his mouth. But he did it all the same. He inhaled part of his sandwich and instantly began to cough, leaning over to the side of his chair so he might hack up what he'd breathed in and swallow what remained. The sudden choking wasn't unwarranted. It distracted him from the impossible predicament, but only for a small bit of time. When he was able to breathe normally again, Terry set his sandwich down atop is desk and lifted concerned eyes to the woman in his classroom.

"Y-You're--...Jesus, are you sure?" It was a stupid question. She had no reason to lie, and by now she undoubtedly was aware of her condition. Terrance leaned back in his chair and ran a hand down his face, hardly believing what was before his eyes. The accidental mother of his accidental baby happened to work in his school. His school. Apart from all the shock and awe of what was happening around him, one simple thought rose above all the others.

The kids are gonna go nuts over this. Because word would get out, and there would be no mercy for him, not from a single one of his 126 students.

Terrance pulled himself together after a moment of panicked thought. He shook his head and pushed out of his seat, crossing the room and taking a computer chair by the arms. "Here, come here. Sit down. Uhm. I'll, uh, get you some water." He brushed his hands down his thighs, not knowing what to do with them. What was he supposed to be doing? How the hell does someone react in a time like this? He moved about the room, forgetting three times where the sink was before pouring some water in a plastic cup and handing it to her. He leaned against the front of his desk, running his hand over what hair he had and looking at her with an odd expression. She was like a foreign creature in his territory that he didn't know what to do with.

"So, uh...I didn't exactly expect to be ambushed like this." Terry cleared his throat, looking distressed. "I mean, I'm glad you said somethin', I just, uh...I didn't expect this at all. An' I don't know how to be an adult about it either, I mean Christ, you're a stranger and you're carrying my--" He gestured to her stomach. "...my thing. Accidentally. God, this is insane." He reached back for his bottle of Pepsi and drank the rest of it down in a few anxious gulps before tossing the empty plastic in the trash across the room. He looked at her and blinked, at a total loss of what to say or do.

"So. Miss Pike. Or, Evangeline, if I can call you that." He looked her up and down, observing her beauty but trying hard not to think of her that way, wanting to avoid any disrespect. "I, uh, saw that you were gonna sue the doctor? In your email."[/fieldbox]

• Love
Evie was fairly certain her soul had left her body, while the father of her unborn child choked to death on his lunch. Her child. It was an odd thing to say, an odd thing to think. Half the time she couldn't quite comprehend that there was anything there, save for the intense need to vomit and a slight bloat that was her uterus expanding. At least, that's what google said. She and google had become best friends over the past few weeks, as her mother was a hostile presence and her doctor was-, she needed a new doctor. If she stared in the mirror long enough she could half convince herself that she wasn't pregnant, but this was the first time she'd felt it. His gaze dropped to her stomach, and as though some remote part of her knew it was growing a piece of him, she felt it. And it unnerved her/

"Are you..." Okay? But he was soon done choking, and on to fumbling. Evie looked much like a deer that had wondered into someone else's garden, gazing at him with wide eyes and a slightly vacant expression. It was a miracle she managed to move into the chair, sitting down heavily, crossing and re crossing her legs while he..paced? Was he pacing, or was he lost? Should she say something? Her mouth would not move, and her brows were knit together when he finally returned with water.

She held it in her hand, but she did not drink it. Her stomach was far too unsettled for tap water, and she found herself setting the cup aside on a nearby desk. Honestly, she was afraid she would drop it in her own lap. Her hands didn't want to move any more than her mouth, and she nearly dropped the cup as he started rambling again with force. Ambushed. That was what she'd done, wasn't it? Evie winced at the words, looking more and more pained as his spiel went on. He called their unborn child a 'thing', and her mind immediately went to abortion. Would he suggest it? Her arms wrapped around her torso protectively, though she was unsure whether she was protecting the baby, or trying to hide it from his sight.

When he finally stopped rambling, she was unsure what to say. "Yeah. Uhm, my Dad-," she was a grown woman, why was she talking about her father? "You can just call me Evie. It's short for...you can call me that. Uhm..." Why did she sound so breathless? Was she going to hyperventilate? She re crossed her legs, tugging her skirt down towards her knee. She'd been walking around with his sperm inside her, but heaven forbid he see her thigh. Oh, she was dizzy.

"It's malpractice, so I'm suing. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." Why was she apologizing? It wasn't as though she'd stolen his sperm and ran with it, but her emotions were running high and...well, unstable. She felt very much like a student who had just gotten in trouble, and it didn't help that he was about seven feet tall. "I didn't mean to-, I didn't know if I should write you or not. But I did. That doesn't matter, I didn't mean to ambush you. I didn't come here to talk, really. I just wanted to..." To what? "To peek through your window and then go back to my desk and reply to your email. I don't want to do this to you at work. I don't want to do this at work." Standing rather abruptly, Evie wrapped her sweater around herself, as though he could see the problem growing inside her.

"We should get coffee or something. Are you free today? Or next month, whenever is good."[/fieldbox]

• Love
Awkward. It was the only word he could think of. The scenario was crazy and so overly bizarre, like poor comedy writers trying to play a sick prank on their unsuspecting protagonists. Terry prayed that God wasn't that much of a masochist. A writer He may be, but Terrance could only handle so much and the upcoming nine months would be hell for the both of them. He looked into Evangeline's big brown eyes and wanted to say something, anything to reassure her. Nothing came forth. He felt like a fool all over again.

She stood before he got the chance to respond. Clearly this woman believed she was an inconvenience, something he didn't want her to think at all, and he was so eager to defend her opinion of him that when she spoke of another meeting, he jumped at the chance.

"Are you free today?"

"Coffee!" he shouted stupidly. "I mean, I love coffee. Coffee's good, sounds great." Terry gave her a sheepish grin and buried his hands in his pockets. He knew he looked and sounded like a complete idiot, but he couldn't control himself. He was happy and utterly horrified all at once. "There's a coffee place 'round the corner from school. That hole-in-the-wall place. Tully's, I think it is. I could come right after I'm finished up here about 3:30, if that works for you?"

What would they talk about? What was there to say? Not for the last time, Terry struggled with all the things he wanted to make clear about this unexpected pregnancy and what it meant for them, for him, but she had come to him too quickly and too soon, and caught him unprepared. He felt like a criminal caught in the act, though truly he had done nothing wrong. Was there such a crime in donating what little he had to give, especially when he'd thought he faced death?

Without waiting for a response, he answered for her. The lunch bell was about to ring and he was running out of time. "Great. See you then." He placed a hand on her back and gestured her out the door, ushering her gently into the hallway where he came face-to-face with his line of fifth period students. Seniors. They knew a deer-in-the-headlights look when they saw one, and were far more like adults than he cared to admit.

"Ohhh damn!" shouted one of the kids, a punk of 17 with his hat turned backwards. "Yoooo, Mr. T! That's what I'm talkin' about!"

"Be nice now," Terry warned. "Wouldn't want to catch you disrespectin' a lady now, would I?" The tone of his voice was almost protective. He instantly removed his hand from Evangeline and and stepped back. "Come on in, kids. Books open, cell phones off, y'all know the drill."

He gave a final glance to Miss Pike as she walked down the hall away from him. Terry hoped she did not miss his nervous grin of reassurance.[/fieldbox]

• Love
She had not expected such an abrupt, enthusiastic answer. It was almost as though she had agreed on a date. Had he missed something? She had been near sobbing in the middle of his class room, rambling about suing her gynecologist, and he seemed...chipper? Or was it manic? Evie had little time to contemplate it, as his massive hand pressed against her back and guided her towards the door. She did her best to compose her expression, sucking in a breath and hoping her voice was even when she agreed.

"Yeah. Okay. Sure, I'll meet you there."

But just as she had begun to regain some control, they found themselves face to face with a horde of seniors. Freshman were one thing, freshman were children. But seniors looked too much like her own class mates, and she couldn't help but feel like she'd been caught 'working for a better grade' during lunch hour. It must have been written all over her face, because the punk with the crooked hat started jeering. The color that rose to her cheeks was truly incredible, a burning red that showed so clearly beneath her alabaster skin. Even if she hadn't done anything wrong, their teacher had most certainly 'knocked her up'.

His had disappeared suddenly, leaving her exposed to the students, and Evie nearly stepped backwards. Instead she side stepped the crowd, making it a solid ten feet down the hall before she glance back at him. He was smiling after her, but there was an intense sort of anxiety to it. There was no way to make her lips turn upwards, so she gave him a small nod before making her way back towards the library. The draft of her email was deleted, and she wasted little time in browsing the stacks to correct alphabetical errors. When that failed to soothe her nerves she turned to cleaning, finding herself irked when a young blonde asked about losing a book. The remainder of the day dragged by slowly, but there was no release when the bell finally rang.

Evangeline was unable to keep herself from running to the bathroom before she left, fixing her smudged eye liner in the mirror. For a moment she considered putting on lipstick, but the likely event of a vomit session was enough to deter her. Instead she stepped out into the cool autumn air, weaving her way around the stragglers as the last of the buses pulled out of the lot. The crisp wind soothed her hot skin, and she opted to walk rather than drive, despite her slightly ridiculous choice in shoes. The heels scuffed the sidewalk as she wandered over the rotting leaves, making her way to the only cafe he could have been talking about. Tea was ordered as a precaution, and she settled in at the most remote table she could find.
What was she going to say to him? Curiosity had her googling 'what to ask of your baby daddy', because sperm donors could not be asked anything. There were long articles about child support and visitation rights, but Evie could not say she wanted either. From what she could tell they were not in any sort of legal battle over the child, though she could not say for certain why he had bothered with her. It was a donation, he had not asked for this. But then, neither had she. When the bell on the door chimed her head shot up, and she raised a hand to wave awkwardly at Terrance.

"Hey, over here." Only after catching his attention did she realize that he didn't have a drink, and she tilted her head towards the counter. "Get your coffee fix." [/fieldbox]

• Love
Terry was a mess throughout the remainder of the day. He couldn't seem to focus on his lessons, muttering and stumbling through a course on the Great Schism and another on WWII. His students picked up on his inability to teach. They whispered among themselves, no doubt making connections with the seniors who had seen him earlier and putting two and two together. The last thing he needed was pressure from a bunch of teenagers about his odd out-of-the-box relationship with Evangeline Pike. The less stress he had at the moment, the better.

Was it even a relationship that he had with Eve? What could he call it? She was the mother of his child by a medical accident, and they were strangers. There wasn't any way to explain that without sounding strange, but Terry supposed that was the story of his life from now on. Years down the road, people would ask how his kids' parents met. "Accidental artificual insemination" would be the answer, and that's not something that goes without explanation. It was these things and more that kept Terrance Lewis occupied until the end of the day, distracted from the job he loved so much. When the bell rang and his students left for the day, Terry sat in is chair and eagerly finished his work, wanting to get to Tully's and put all his anxieties to rest. Most of them, at least.

When he closed up his classroom, Terrance left school and made his way quickly towards the coffee shop he'd mentioned earlier. Opening the door, he scanned the floor hastily in a desperate search for Miss Pike. For a moment he feared she hadn't showed, perhaps frightened by his intimidating appearance that she'd decided she no longer wanted to associate with him. However, those fears were quickly chased away when he saw her sitting patiently by the window at the farthest possible table. "Get your coffee fix," she said, and he couldn't help but nod in agreement. He needed some damn coffee. A donut too, at this rate. Anything to calm him.

After Terry ordered the things he wanted, a fresh pumpkin spice mocha and a maple bar, and took a seat across from Evie. Somehow, he'd already thought of an icebreaker.

"I know it's a white girl drink, but I love these stupid things. Too good." Terry took a sip of the hot mocha and hummed in satisfaction, watching the window as autumn leaves drifted to the ground from a tree outside. Picturing himself anywhere but here was all too easy. The woman across from him had turned his life upside-down in a matter of minutes with a single email. The worst part was knowing there would be no going back.

"So, uh...what're you gonna do?" He looked at her then, really looked at her for the first time, his eyes filled with sincerity. "About the kid. I know it's not my choice, not really, but I still wanna hear what you've got planned. Maybe offer some insight."

That was why she'd reached out to him to begin with, right?[/fieldbox]

It was like showing up for a first date too early, with none of the comfort of knowing they liked each other. The meeting was out of obligation, not mutual affection. Really, there was no sort of affection at all. As Evie looked over at her unfortunate partner in accidental crime, she took a moment to study him closely for the first time. Aside from the fact that her father would think he was an active gang member, Terrance Lewis did not seem to be a terribly 'rough' person. Granted, he was a semi truck to her Prius, bgut he had a warm smile and a kind voice. He was a teacher, after all. Anyone who could handle a room full of teenagers had her utmost respect.

Still, she did not know him, and she did not know his morals. It did not matter what he wanted, but she was terrified of being alone at a table with a man who was adamant she get an abortion. It was true, the child was not wanted. The child wasn't even a child yet, but a mass of cells that was making her terribly ill. But her value in life and her faith in God were too strong to let her believe that it deserved anything less than being born, which meant that she had been entrusted with the unpleasant task of letting it grow inside of her. If it had been some stranger's egg it would have been an easy choice to give it away, but this baby was no less hers than any other baby she had ever planned to have.

Though, it often felt as though it was. She had not earned a surprise pregnancy, had not taken that extra step into adulthood that warranted having a child. The shock of it made it easy to forget that it was her egg, growing in her body, making her throw up her food. But as Terrance crossed the room to settle in across from her the baby felt a little more like hers, even if it was only because he might want her abort it. But it was easy to laugh at his joke as he sat down with his sugar coffee, her own hands warming on the paper cup that held her tea.

She had not realized how intently she was staring until he turned his gaze back on her, and for a terrifying moment she was seen. Desperate, nervous, too young and too poor to support a child on her own. Too shocked to come to terms with the changes in her body, too emotionally exhausted to speak first. He asked the question neither of them wanted to, and it was with firm resolution that her answer passed her lips.

"Abortion isn't an option for me."

The words hung in the air for a moment, and her eyes found his to make sure he understood.

"Aside from that, I haven't decided. I haven't had time to decide, I haven't known for more than like...ten days." Her fingers thrummed the side of the cup nervously. "Let it grow, try to curb my rampant alcoholism. I'm sorry, that's a bad joke." Her laugh was more of a choke, accompanied by a sharp shake of her head. "Look, I'm sorry for confronting you at work. That really wasn't my intention, I don't want to cause any problems for you. You don't have to have any part in this. If it was any other circumstance, I wouldn't even be allowed to know who you are. You probably didn't want me to. If you want to go ahead and pretend like nothing ever happened, I don't blame you. You're not obligated. I don't know if this is appropriate, I don't know what the protocol for this is. You didn't ask for this. Technically, I asked for it even less than you asked for it. I mean you knew you could knock someone up. Probably not some twenty one year old, single, ginger college student who was going to show up on your lunch break, but still. I'm not blaming you, I'm just letting you know that I don't have all my answers sorted out. I know you're shocked, but I promise you I'm twice as shocked. No idea what I'm doing, absolutely no idea. I have no answers for you, no expectations, nothing. So if you want to...insight would be great. But I'm not getting rid of it." [/fieldbox]

• Love
Terry didn't realize it, but the second Evangeline denied wanting an abortion, he let out a great sigh of relief. He leaned back in his chair and ran a hand down his face, feeling an enormous weight lift off his shoulders that made him want to fly. Abortion was her choice, especially since this pregnancy was an accident that she did not want or ask for, but he was eternally grateful that she would go through with the pregnancy. Even if she did not want the child, he did. Perhaps it was time to make that clear.

"Damn," he said with a small, breathy chuckle. "Sorry. I was just, you know. Worried I guess. I'm not about tellin' girls what the can do with their bodies n' stuff, but I, uh...I kinda want this kid." Terry cleared his throat, trying to keep things as lowkey as possible. "It's my only shot at a baby. S'why I donated. Knew I couldn't have any more after that." He fumbled with his hands and tried to come with something else to say.

"Anyway, it makes sense that you don't have all the answers. I didn't expect you to, not really. I can't imagine what you're goin' through right now though. Shit, I can hardly believe it myself." He scratched the back of his neck and looked up to her. God, she was beautiful. He found himself wondering if the baby would look like her. He hoped so, despite how awkward the thought may have been to voice aloud.

"So, uhm...can I do anything? To help, that is. If you're thinkin' adoption, I wanna be first in line. I know I'm not married, but the kid's mine and I wanna raise it. With or without you." Terry met her eyes with as much sincerity as he was capable of mustering, hoping that she understood how truthful his words were. White women were always tricky to talk to. They had their own predispositions about people like him, about black men in general, with their own institutional racism implemented into their lives without thinking it. South Carolina wasn't the kindest of places. He'd been kicked out of stores and spoken to in the most vulgar of ways for all his life. What this woman did or didn't think of him was still unknown.

"I know it might be strange to hear, but I really mean it. I want the baby, even if you don't. You can just...you know, have it, and then never talk to me again if that's what you want." He tightened his jaw. "This is my only shot, as inconvenient as it may be. But I don't wanna pressure you either."[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Evangeline Pike, plum, solid, 0, TIMES NEW ROMAN] His words left her reeling, as though she'd just been hit by a bus. Evie had prepared herself to listen to his calculated explanation, his detail for detail account of why he could have nothing to do with the child. Though she hated to say it, she had been waiting to decide how she felt. Her day to day life had become avoiding the toil of troublesome thoughts that surrounded the life growing inside her, and she had been waiting to see if the 'donor' would make all the difference. In truth, she'd been hoping he was a youth Pastor, or a Lawyer, but a teacher was perfectly respectable. A teacher was perfectly nice, and Terrance was...perfectly nice. A little foul mouthed, a little large, but perfectly polite. She did not feel unsettled sitting across from him, and she would not feel unsafe letting him walk her back to her car. He was well dressed, well mannered, and she had been waiting for it. She had been waiting for him to claim the child or walk away, and for a long moment she had been expecting him to walk.

He couldn't afford it, he wasn't responsible, and she would say it was fine.

But that moment never came.

Instead he spoke the words that she could not, assuring her that he wanted the child. Legally, if she didn't, she was fairly certain he would get it regardless of her wishes. Truly, she could say that she did not wish to keep it from him. She'd certainly never considered the fact that he might be black, and her family would have a fit, but Evie couldn't care. Not in the face of a baby she didn't know what to do with, with a man sitting across from her saying he wanted it. No matter how she felt, someone cared for that child. Their child? It was his, and he had claimed it as such. Was it not just as much hers? The relief was immense, but the torrent of emotions came crashing down as he assured her again and again that he wanted the baby.

Evie didn't realize that she'd been staring him with such a distraught expression, not until the smallest gasp of a sob escaped her. She pressed a hand over her mouth, wiping away the tears that fell from her eyes with haste. It was embarrassing, to say the least, but her hormones had been beyond rationality. "I'm sorry." The words were choked as she ripped a napkin from the holder nearby, dabbing at her eyes. "I was just expecting for you to try to talk me into an abortion. I didn't think that you'd want it. No one wants it, my parents want me to have a closed adoption through this agency...and I didn't know what to do. I don't know if I could do it alone. I don't want to give it away, because it's just as much mine as any other baby would be. But doing it alone would just be...and you..." She huffed a little, calming herself with a long drink of her tea. For a moment she rested her forehead in her hand, breathing deeply as she tried to settle herself. "I'm sorry, I've been really weepy lately. Honestly, I can't tell you how relieved I am. Of course you can...be its Dad. You are its Dad." The words were strange on her lips, and her eyes searched his as she said them. "I hope I'm not crossing a line. Did you have a vasectomy or something?" [/fieldbox]

• Love
Evangeline shed her tears, and Terrance was trapped. He'd always felt awkward around people when the cried. He'd seen so many in his life, too many than he'd like to admit, and he hadn't the slightest idea how to react. Terry looked at her crying across the table and reached out a hand on instinct in attempt to comfort her, wanting to touch her shoulder and tell her it would all be okay, but it felt wrong. Too soon, perhaps. He retracted his hand with a slump against the table, signifying his failure.

"Look, we can figure it out, right? Shared custody? Trade off on weekends? We can take the money you get from the suit and put it into the kid. Make it a good life, you know. School, college, that sorta thing. If you really wanna be a part of it's life. By all means, Eva, you're the mom. No matter how it happened, you still are. And I'm here. I don't want you to do this by yourself."

Terry leaned back when his speech was over, taking another long sip of his white girl drink. He wondered briefly if she liked pumpkin mochas as much as he did. He supposed there was time to find out. The two of them had the rest of their lives to communicate for the sake of the accidental baby they were having together, or separately, or however it should be termed. Whatever he didn't know about her now, he would in the future, and the thought was promising.

"Vasectomy? Nah, I wish." He folded his arms across his chest and frowned. The illness wasn't something he liked to talk about, mostly because of the near-death experience and the trauma of realizing how short life is. But she had questions, and now she had every right to know the answers. Especially as the mother of the only child he'd ever have.

"I, uh. I had cancer." He cleared his throat. "Leukemia, six years ago. Pretty bad, too. Almost died. I donated my, uh...stuff, before I started chemo, since I knew after that I'd be sterile." Terry chewed on the inside of his cheek and glanced down to his half-eaten maple bar, suddenly not very hungry anymore. "I thought maybe someone would pick me from a book of faces and be able to do something with my genetics, you know. And then you happened."[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Evangeline Pike, plum, solid, 0, TIMES NEW ROMAN]"I'm sorry."

The words passed her lips with sincerity. It was clear that the information wasn't something he offered often, and she couldn't help but feel the slightest bit guilty about coaxing it out of him. But it was good to know, good to understand his perspective. Still, it was difficult to imagine the massive man in front of her being sick. He was such a force of life, but she supposed cancer wasn't one to pick and chose.

Leaning back in her seat, she crossed her legs and leaned back in her chair. It wasn't the first time she'd looked him over, but some of the anxiety had melted from her face. He was not what she had feared he was, though certainly far from what she expected. But his face had a kindness to it, and his strong jaw was certainly far from unhand-some. She was incapable of keeping her mind from wandering to what sort of meeting this should have been. Creating a child together should have entailed much more than an exchange of an email, and as she pictured what things might have been like without a medical accident, she flushed all the way up to her forehead.

"If it helps, I am doing something with your genetics."

She let her hand fall into her lap, resting lightly against her lower belly. There was a lot to take in, but there was still plenty to say.

"I'd like to make you some sort of grand promise, or sort out the little details right now, but I can't. I'm sorry, it's still too new. I'm still trying to comes to term with it. I'd like to tell you that I'm...excited, or that it's all going to be okay. But right now I'm just trying to take it day by day, trying not to vomit literally every time I eat. I guess what I'm saying-, what I'm asking is...what do you want from me before its born? Do you want to have coffee every month? Do you want ultra sound pictures?" Some of the nervousness had returned to her tone as she questioned him, brows knit in troubled thought. "You probably don't want it getting out at school, right? I mean I wouldn't tell anyone, but I'm not going to be able to keep it a secret for long. I won't tell anyone its yours if you don't want, but I don't know how you're going to explain having a baby out of nowhere either." [/fieldbox]

• Love
"Yeah, the kids'll be a problem. They'll figure it out. I think the best thing we can do is just not address it. They won't make it an issue if we don't." Terrance scratched the stubble on his cheek. "Don' worry 'bout them, especially since you're a college girl. You won't be spendin' your whole life in that library."

Of course he'd remembered that she was a student. Terrance had been on friendly terms with the head librarian since he'd gotten his teaching job years four years prior. He couldn't remember what she was studying or where she went to school, but he knew she was working on some sort of degree. He only hoped this baby wouldn't ruin her plans to become a successful whatever-it-was that she planned to become. He wasn't sure if he could forgive himself for causing such a rift in her life like that, even though it wasn't his fault.

"Anyway, I figure I should tell you a bit about myself. Just so you can get to know me a bit. There's a long time we'll have to spend in each other's company an' I don't want us to be strangers." He tore off a piece of the doughnut and popped it in his mouth, savoring the sweet taste like he always did. He wiped his hands with a napkin and tossed it in the nearest trashcan like a basketball player making a score, grinning when he made the hoop. Terrance settled into a comfortable position and rested his hands on the table, clearing his throat to speak. He could only hope that what he had to say was worth something to Evangeline.

"I was born in Virginia. Had an okay childhood. Went on to graduate high school and fucked up in life for a while. Messed around, you know. Not easy bein' black. But I pulled through all that when I got sick, my mom took care a'me and I learned a lot of life lessons. Started puttin' family first. Went to school for a teaching degree in hopes that I can stop kids from gettin' into the kinda shit I got into. Been teachin' for four years now. History. My favorite subject." He took a long sip of his mocha and set it back on the table, looking at it in contemplation. "I've got two sisters and a brother. Two parents who raised me right, stood with me through everything. No big health issues I'm aware of in my family history. 'Cept the leukemia. Not sure if that'll affect the kid though."

Terrance lifted his eyes to her. "What about you? Tell me 'bout yourself."[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Evangeline Pike, plum, solid, 0, TIMES NEW ROMAN]Oh, good, he was a teenage delinquent. It was a cruel thought, but she could not help but feel a little anxiety at the thought. He had been a bad kid, and now she was having his kid. But that made no guarantees, did it? He had learned his lessons, and he wanted to keep other kids from having to learn them the way he had. There was nothing wrong with that. Of course, it was a far cry from the sheltered, healthy life she had lived so far. Her eyes grew less troubled as he spoke, face relaxing into the smallest of smiles as he spoke of teaching and his mother.

Some of her nervousness returned when he turned the questions on her, but it was not with the same sort of sadness she'd had before. She smiled a little nervously, re crossing her legs as she tried to come up with her life story. "Okay, uhm, let me see..." A stray hand lifted to touch the collar of her dress, as though making sure it was high enough. It was one of the many nervous habits she'd picked up after a lifetime of scrutiny under her mother's eye, though she didn't often notice when she did it.

"I grew up here, actually. About twenty minutes from here, in the suburbs. Do you know where White Oaks is?" White Oaks. Wasn't that the perfect name for it; filled with the white and the elderly. "Doesn't matter. I went to school in the city, and won homecoming queen despite being the biggest band geek of all time. I'm a classical pianist. I mean, I play a few things, but that's kind of my niche. I'm double majoring in music and business, because my parents wouldn't help pay for any of it if I didn't get a 'real' degree. They're not...they're...uhm..." No, that was not a safe topic. "My brother is a lawyer. He's actually handling my case, which is horrifically awkward because he needs a detail for detail account of what happened. My parents wanted me to go into law, but I hate it, so..." Evie cleared her throat, wondering why she couldn't seem to stray away from the topic of her parents. "We're ten years apart, he and I. My parents had a lot of fertility struggles, which I obviously didn't inherit. Other than that, I don't think there's any big medical issues in my family."

Evie could feel her guards dropping as she began to ramble, the nervous knots in her stomach slowly coming undone. He was easy to talk to, that much she would admit. "Do you have any crazy hobbies I should know about? Besides playing napkin basketball?"
[/fieldbox]

• Love
Terrance had to laugh at that--laugh, not chuckle. There was a distinct difference. It felt good to let go around her even in the slightest bit, the mother of his child, despite how strange the thought still was. His guard was lowered. If she could make him laugh, perhaps she wasn't intimidated by him at all. Did he dare to think so positively?

"Napkin basketball? C'mon, girl, that's my favorite sport!" He spread his hands to add the joke, chuckling as he placed them back on the table. "Nah, I'm just playin'. White Oaks though, I know it. In the hood we call it White Folks." He scratched the back of his a bit awkwardly. "But it seems like you've got a good life there. Aside from the parents, but hey. Parents are a nice thing to have. Don't know how nice they are till they're gone..." Terry shook his head and frowned. "This kid's gotta have parents."

The soft-spoken sentence changed the mood of their meeting. Terrance looked down to the table deep in his own mind, brooding on thoughts he wouldn't share, thoughts he didn't want her to know. It took several moments for him to pull himself together and shove the dark memories away where they belonged. He faced the beautiful woman before him again, trying to appear more confident about all this than he felt.

"Uh, sorry. Listen, I gotta go soon. My dog's probably freakin' out. But my sister, she's a lady doctor. You know. For girl stuff. She'd be happy to see you and be your doctor through the pregnancy. She's not a drunk either. Can't drink at all, actually." Terry took a pen from his pocket and reached across the table for Evangeline's napkin. He scribbled down two sets of numbers and a name, pushing the paper back to her.

"The top number is her office. Ask for Dr. Hassan, tell her Terry sent you. She'll get you an appointment. And the second number's mine." He gave her a shy, almost apologetic smile. "If you need anything, anything at all, medicine, a ride somewhere, food, textbooks, whatever. Just tell me, I'll be there. I mean it." He met her eyes. "I wanna make this as easy for you as possible, if that's okay. Really. I'm at your disposal."[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Evangeline Pike, plum, solid, 0, TIMES NEW ROMAN]He was right. She had not thought the words to herself, and it made her all the more guilty as Terry said them aloud. This baby deserved to have parents. Two loving, attentive, capable parents. Could she be one? The question made her cold inside, letting insecurity creep in that told her she had no chance at being what a baby needed. He was an established professional, a true adult, and she was...well, struggling. But she was terribly relieved at the recommendation for a new doctor, even if she did happen to be his sister. Meeting his family was a slightly uncomfortable step, but an inevitable one. If they were both going to stay in the baby's life, she would would no doubt encounter his family. The thought occurred to her that it might be a bit personal, but she was never going to a doctor her mother recommended again. And really, she did need to find someone. If he trusted his sister, then she should consider herself lucky that he offered his name to get her an appointment.

Evie took the napkin with a sheepish grin, folding it neatly to tuck in her purse. His gaze was as direct as his words, she she could not help but look away for a moment to take some of the heat from her skin. "Well I've already bought my textbooks, so I'll try not to make your life too miserable." she promised, nodding towards the door as she stood. "Come on. I'll walk you back to your car so you don't get mugged."

--

Getting an appointment was as easy as he said it would be. Her call was returned with a date so quickly she fumbled while answering the phone, set for three days after their day in the coffee shop. As suggested, Evie said nothing at school, and she did not dare intrude on his lunch hour in the few short days they did not see each other. Their interaction in the coffee shop seemed almost like a strange dream, though she could not help but feel lighter than she had before. A small piece of the crippling fear had disappeared, though she did not dare tell her parents that her child was not going to be white as snow. Evie also forgot to mention that she had found a new doctor, and that she was considering keeping the baby more and more every day.

It felt strange visiting his sister without letting Terrance know, so she was sure to send a text before she left the school. My appointment is this afternoon. Will let you know how it goes. Hope you're good. She'd pressed send before she'd read it, and immediately regretted the awkward little sentiment at the end. What was she, twelve? Was he going to think she was flirting? Evie groaned inwardly, almost glad for the distraction that soon came in the form of throwing up her lunch. The day dragged, but it was not long before she was free to climb back on her bike and pedal towards the office. She had half considered asking Terrance if he wanted to drive her, but the office was not far and she could not bring herself to intrude upon his work load. With a nervous stomach she pushed open the doors, checking in with the woman behind the front desk. They gave her an impossible amount of paperwork to fill out, all of which she'd hardly finished when the medical assistant asked her back. The scale said she'd lost three pounds, but her blood pressure was fine and the woman was impressed by her avid biking. After a few more questions she was left alone to change into a gown, sitting nervously on the edge of the paper strewn table for Dr. Hassan. [/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=|| Khaleela Hassan ||, royalblue, solid, 0, georgia]
"...and then he just grabs my butt, right there. Right in front of my mom and dad." A dramatic wave of her hand followed the roaring laughter of her coworkers, all intrigued to the mysterious love life of their beloved Doctor Hassan. "I'm like, Namir. Can you have a little decency? But the poor man didn't have his glasses on, couldn't see that the blurred shapes in the distance were people instead of just potted plants. My mom won't ever forget that."

"God, I bet. Your husband is one risky man."

Khaleela took a sip of water with a smile, checking her watch soon after. Five minutes until lunch was over. She loved her job, loved helping women stay healthy in a way that only women can, but talking about her husband made her miss him. Namir and Khaleela had been married for twelve long years, but none of their puppy love had yet to cease. She hoped it never did.

When her phone began to vibrate to signal a text, the doctor pulled it out and checked the messenger. Terry, she thought. Geez. Again?

Is she there yet?

Not sure, just finishing up lunch. She should be though. Just relax.

Sorry. Nervous as fuck over here.

Khaleela chuckled. I know, I know. It'll all be fine, okay? I'll call you when it's done. Just remember I can't say much, patient confidentiality and all that.

Yeah I know. Thanks Leela.

She locked her phone again and slipped it into the pocket of her doctor's coat, along with her pager. "You ladies have fun with your gossip," she said to the other nurses before taking her leave. "I'm gonna go meet my brother's accidental baby mama. Talk to you later!"

With a skip in her step, Khaleela cheerfully walked down the hall towards room #7, where she took the clipboard from the plastic wall hanging outside. She briefly checked over the stats of Miss Evangeline Pike, nodding in approval to most of what she saw before tucking the clipboard under her arm and knocking on the door. When she heard a call of acceptance from the woman inside, Khaleela stepped in with a smile, greeting Evie with nothing but warmth. They would soon be family, after all.

"You must be Evangeline," she said joyfully, offering a hand to shake. "I'm Dr. Hassan. It's a pleasure to meet you." It was better to stay professional. The woman was already suing one doctor for malpractice; Khaleela had no intention of being the second. "I want you to know that I'm wholly dedicated to the health and well-being of you and your little one, so I hope you don't feel awkward about this appointment. I promise I won't let my relation to the father get in the way of my practice." After shaking Eva's hand, she crossed the room and sat in a computer chair, crossing one leg gracefully over the other. She pulled out a pen and retrieved her clipboard, going over a few of the papers before leaning back.

"Okay, well you didn't finish some of this paperwork, but that's alright. We can go over it together." She clicked her pen and looked up to her patient, scratching her hair over the cloth her hijab. "Don't be nervous, alright? I'm just going to ask you a few questions, kinda to get the feel for where you're at right now and what topics we should cover in our future appointments together." Khaleela looked to her paperwork again. "Firstly, can you confirm your birthdate for me and tell me a little about yourself? How the pregnancy's going so far, how your mood's been, what you've been feeling like...?"[/fieldbox]

• Love
[fieldbox=Evangeline Pike, plum, solid, 0, TIMES NEW ROMAN]Her entire body seemed to jolt when there was a knock on the door, but Evie managed to choke out a "Come in!" that was an octave higher than her speaking voice. She wanted desperately to cross her legs, but the gown already covered less than she wished it would. Despite all of the trauma over the last two weeks, she had not yet learned to be comfortable with any room that had stirrups attached to the table. Her smile was as nervous as the doctor's was warm, though there was a long moment of panic while she wondered.

Was this the right woman?

This woman was not black.

Wasn't Terry black?

Oh yes, he was most definitely black.

Head reeling, it took her a moment to remember that adoption did it exist. Her words were the confirmation Evie needed to know she was in the right place, and she shook the woman's hand with a soft "Nice to meet you." As the words sunk in she could not help but add nervously "He's not really-, I mean, we've only really spoken once. I guess that doesn't make him less of the father." For some reason she felt it terribly important to clarify that she had not slept with this woman's brother, though he had probably already mentioned that to her. There were many questions she could have asked this woman, but none of them were appropriate. After all, she was not there to discuss Terry.

The phrase 'your little one' unnerved her the slightest bit, but she found herself coming closer to a calm as the woman began to ask her the sort of questions any doctor would ask. The vaguest bit was 'telling about herself', but this was not a dating profile, so she decided to keep it brief. "It's February second, 1994. I'm in college at the moment, double majoring in music and business, and I work over at the same High School as Mr. Lewis. Sorry, Terrance, all of the kids call him...anyways. My moods." She gave a huff of a laugh, smirking a little as she eyed her bare needs. "Uhm...weepy. Irrationally weepy, I cry constantly. I'm not sure how much of that is being pregnant or being pregnant, if you know what I mean. But I'd say I'm a little unstable. I've been really tired, and really nauseous. I throw up constantly, even if I don't eat anything. I've been trying to eat more right before bed, because I don't usually get up after I'm asleep." [/fieldbox]

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.