PSA Of the Day: Suicide/Death Notes Are a No No!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone talking about how laughter is the best way to deal with suicide and depression:
I'd just like to mention that not everyone deals with things the same way and that's fine. If being able to laugh at yourself is what helped you through your dark times, then that's fantastic! I understand that it can be very helpful. However, for some people it remains a serious topic that they don't find humorous. That doesn't mean they have no sense of humor or need to lighten up or learn to take a joke. It means it's something that's affected them so deeply that they happen to be unable to find humor in it.

That's the thing with joking about serious and harmful things. Someone, somewhere is going to have an experience with it where it's hurtful to hear jokes. That doesn't mean they should forbid other people from making said jokes, but if someone doesn't find it funny, or maybe even gets a bit upset, try to understand that that's a consequence that comes with dark humor.

Basically, empathy is a pretty cool thing that can help avoid a metric fuck ton of drama. Just try to respect everyone, idk.

Well...
I hope it is not wrong to post two links that I do feel may be useful to add.
(I will delete this post if the staff decides this is wrong to do)

Please understand, everybody is different and some may or may not actually apply to an individual at all.

This explains what somebody that has suicidal thoughts may want to do (and it attempts to explain what suicidal thoughts are)
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/s...-with-your-suicidal-thoughts-and-feelings.htm

This is clearing up on how to differ between suicidal potential and people who may actually truly suicide.(and gives a bit advice to detecting potential suicide and how to confront them)
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/s...revention-helping-someone-who-is-suicidal.htm

I have a few numbers for hotiles for suicidal thoughts.

For hotlines...

->International:
http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html

->USA
http://www.suicide.org/suicide-hotlines.html

Feeling suicidal is often associated with problems that can be treated

Suicide is something that you should NEVER use to get attention. Alone for the sake of the pople that really NEED the help.​

Suicide is not a ticket to get out of life. In fact, it makes it worse. Suicide threats shouldn't even be used to replace "I'm leaving because you're a bunch of bullies!"

If you press the "Delete" button, unless if you have a valid reason for doing so...

DON'T DO IT.

As a person suffering from Asperger Syndrome, attempted suicide seven times, bullied, and seeking little hope, I find this PSA as a godsend. Although we might not know it, there are those out there trying to committing suicide right now. Talking to friends is not enough.

Committing suicide deletes everything you held dear to, especially your good memories. Please seek help, even if you feel like there's nothing to love or cherish.

You're on this site trying to achieve a purpose. You might have other commitments that need YOUR magic.

Why throw it away?
As far as death and suicide jokes, I find that as sick jokes to garner attention. I mean, why would you joke about something so serious like death?

This would be stupid to elaborate, as the answers should be simple.

I have no knowledge about suicide.

:|

Not a clue.

Lots of well-meaning folks in here.

But saying that you want to help people on the forum who are suicidal/or just attention-seeking is actually encouraging them to post about it. Which undermines the actual value of this PSA and the explicit rules it is announcing.

It's nice that you care, but let the staff do their jobs, point at risk people to the hotlines other members have so thoughtfully posted and leave the counseling to licensed professionals. That is all you can and should do.

It's nice that you care, but let the staff do their jobs, point at risk people to the hotlines other members have so thoughtfully posted and leave the counseling to licensed professionals. That is all you can and should do.

This, a thousandfuckingtimes this.

Well i guess that brings to light the dark side of the world of writing and creativity. O_O

Depression and mental problems grow on trees in this world. If you don't suffer from it. Please don't increase the load this world already is struggling hard with.
It's rather insensitive on such a fragile matter. <.<

Wait what, there's reported cases of suicide threats on Iwaku? I've experienced this a few times before elsewhere, some of them rather personal (one guy saying that me telling him I didn't enjoy roleplaying with them would push them over the edge) but fuck. I was sorta hoping that didn't happen here. Is it more common in 1x1 or libertine environments, per chance? I don't need names or examples, but I am sorta curious.

This happens on EVERY community. O__O There is not a single community online that doesn't get this kind of problem. It's very universal. If you don't see it happening on the site, it's likely because the staff there suppresses it very quickly. (Which is what we do here on Iwaku.) >>

It's very universal. If you don't see it happening on the site, it's likely because the staff there suppresses it very quickly. (Which is what we do here on Iwaku.) >>
Well in that case please allow me to express myself by video;

Linking to a PSA from a different site in a PSA from this site isn't in bad form, I assume, but anyway, first thing that popped into my mind on reading this:

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=285075

More helpful information with regards to suicide hotlines that I found from NationStates. It's too late at night at the moment for me to actually post the links to those sites here, so for now, this'll do. Hope this helps (some more, because some of these sites have already been posted)!

Also, the owner of this account is already dead...and he wants to suck your blood! Hahahahahaha please don't kill me for real.

At one point in another forum there was this guy who was in the military he fairly new and not that active because well he's in the military, how do we know? because well he talks about it fairly often and even post pictures he was a pretty good guy.

Then he was offline for a week without notice we just assumed that he got busy and such then a thread was posted by his brother who got hold of his account about how he got killed in Iraq..

Yea it was pretty darn depressing honestly after the thread was posted the account became inactive it has been inactive for nearly a year now.

I also know a friend who lives in Tel-Aviv (A place in the middle east) he's pretty awesome but he had told us that a lot of missiles fly over his area and more than few times had drills where they have to hide in a bomb shelter or something.

I haven't seen him on skype or the forums for 9 months now hopefully he's doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.