Morden sat down and motioned for Caden to join them. Caden grabbed a chair and turned it around and propped his arms on the back of it as he sat astride it, watching warily. Morden looked at Caden and sighed a bit wearily, "I know this is going to be difficult for you to hear, and I am sorry. It is the main reason I have never told you the whole truth of who you are and how you came to be my apprentice."

"I assume Sovalna told you, my queen, that the dark fae king is your father. And that his sister Neri ascended the throne when this occurred, and that he then came to live among us as a family, with you and your mother." Seeing her nod he continued. "This is only partly true, but she has been sworn to secrecy about the rest of it."

He turned his attention to Caden then, "Neri is indeed the sister to former King Lorn, but you Caden are not her son." he lowered his gaze, "When you were a child, you were found by me in the forest. There was a body nearby that was unrecognizable because of the damage the animals had done to it, but you were safely hidden beneath that body in a basket. I heard the crying and found you. I brought you back with me and Queen Aura smiled upon you and put you in my care. When Neri arrived to kill her brother, King Lorn stole her powers and that is what made Queen Aura able to kill her. Unfortunately Queen Neri ahd cast a spell before he'd done so and ended the King's life. I realized the next day that the dark queen's powers had transferred to you, and maybe even a bit of the king's as well. You were just a baby but you could make things move, and you could create fire."

He shrugged then, "When you were old enough to realize you had powers that only the royals had, I blurted out that you were Queen Neri's son and that you could not tell anyone." It was the first thing that came to my mind, and I could not find a way to correct it after. The truth is, I ahve no idea who you really are. But the dark fae powers are what rest upon you. It is possible you are able to control the darkness because you are NOT actually a fae by birth, but are made one by circumstance. You must know this, Caden, That you are one of us now. You have fought to keep us safe, and have brought the Queen back to us. We are who we choose to be, not who we are born to be."

Caden listened and looked at his hands as if seeing them for the first time. "So...I am...what? A Human?" he asked, frowning darkly and standing quickly, began to pace the room. "So rather than be of the dark fae, and enemy to all good, I am also of the murderous Humans..."

Morden shook his head, "Not all humans are murderers Caden. Not all Dark Fae were evil. No race is defined by the actions of one. There are White Fae that have done wrong and corrupted themselves. Beings choose what they are to be."

Caden looked for all the world like a caged beast at that moment. "I must think." he said and with that was out the door.

Morden looked at Laurana, "He will be well," he said, "He will likely have more questions and will probably try to push you away," He patted her hand, "Make him believe in himself. I have always believed he would be our salvation, and he has, by bringing you back. He is a good man, my Queen, even if he does not see it."

Laurana sat, absolutely stunned. So they weren't related, that was a relief, but at the cost of this was the fact that Caden was... human? That poor guy! He hated the race of humans... Warily she leaned her head on her arms a moment, before standing to her feet. "Thanks, Morden, you've answered so many of our questions... But... .my father -was-- a dark fae. Is it .... " She faltered, not sure if -she- was safe now to be around others. "Is it possible... that sooner or later, my dark side might conflict with my light? I never want to be evil, Morden, but I'm half and half... I need to know the risks..... and how can I help Caden? He's so hurt right now. So conflicted.." There was so much going on, she really needed to sort out her own thoughts and feelings, but not before she helped him. She didn't care if he was human... because she was very fond of him, no matter what race. And now he no longer had to hate himself, but that didn't mean she didn't have to hate herself. That was still, very much debatable.~

Morden shook his head, "No, no, my dear," he said, "Fae magic passes from mother to child, not father. Yes, your father was a Dark Fae but his powers did not pass to you." He saw the concern there and he thought it spoke well of her ability to be a good Queen, that she was concerned about such a thing.

"As for Caden," he said, "He is so much more than he knows. He is also in this book, as part of the prophesy. I do not believe he is ready to hear that yet, but the human who is gifted with magic is the second half of the prophesy...You are part one, casting the ever hidden spell but he is part two. We will need both of you in order to find freedom and safety once more. Do not tell him yet. He will not believe you, and he will probably not trust me for a good while. Sovalna will probably have to help you for the next little while. But I am always willing to talk....any time my Queen."

Laurana blushed bright red at being the hidden spell caster... this spell must be so well hidden it could never be found! And then how would that help her save her people? She felt a bit ...doomed to be completely honest. Doomed never to be a good ruler, for what ruler couldn't protect her own kingdom? And Caden.. would she be able to instill belief in himself again, or was that going to be forever lost as well? "You are so kind, Morden. You and Sovalna have helped tremendously today, and have both of our thanks, I know Caden's upset now, but he has a better grasp on who he is, and I hope I -can- persuade him that he's much better this way than believing he's evil. Not all humans on my world were bad, most yes, but not all, like you and Sovalna's stated. I'm going to go find him now and try to reason with him, though I may end up nicknaming him Stubborn Old bat.." She added with a trace of humor. She rose stiffly from the chair, her back still a bit sore from what she'd dealt with this morning. Hard to believe so much was happening, and she was worried about what -would- possibly happen next. She needed to find Caden and fast. "I'll visit you again soon, Morden. You have a great day." She told the man, before exiting quietly out of the room. She went down a few more corridors and hallways, letting people stop and ask her questions, and then getting back to finding Caden. She stepped outside in the chilly air, thinking maybe he was alone on the cliffs.

Morden frowned, "A kind man would ahve admitted long ago that he'd lied," he said with a sad smile forming on his lips, "Still, I had hoped to protect him from the truth until it was necessary, and I imagine this is that time. I just hope it does not cost me the one I've thought of as a son all these years." He opened the door for her as she left, "Good luck," he said, "When he does not wish to be found...he generally is not found."

Caden had moved through all the people without actually seeing them. He was afraid all of them could see that he was different, and that he did not belong there. What would happen if they all knew the truth? He'd be cast out and have nowhere to go. He wouldn't ever fit into the human world now, but he didn't belong here either. Everything was such a mess. The only good thing he could say he'd done, was bring Laurana here. She would save everyone. That would be his legacy, and that was how he wanted to be remembered.

He was standing on the very edge of the cliff he'd helped people up only just yesterday contemplating leaving the only people and home he'd ever known forever. It would be better. Laurana would not ahve to kill him, they would not have to fear the human among them, and he would ahve peace then knowing they were all safe.

He heard a sound behind him and turned to see Laurana, and barely stifled the groan that welled up within him. "Go back to the others," he said, "They need you. I am leaving."

"Caden Stop! You cannot leave..." She felt cold as the blustering winds began to pick up, almost gusting her right over the edge! She dug her heels in the snow and stood in front of him, however, really scared he was going to vanish and not ever come back. "Please, Caden, who will read me the book? Who will help teach me my magic better than you can? I don't care if you're human or dark fae, or anything. You belong here as much as I do! Can't you see that? You've more practice protecting the people than I do, and I can't do anything without your help." She faltered, her throat constricting as pain flared in her chest.

Was anything she said going to matter? "If you go, I'll just follow you... I'll hound you til you get so tired of my nagging you'll plead for me to stop, and drag you back myself." She threatened, trying to sound as queen-like as possible! Would he really refuse his queen? She needed him, more than words could say... and it hurt, the thought of him not being by her side. She really would follow him if he left! The winds were howling now, sending up snow-flakes around them.

Caden closed his eyes and then she was there teetering on the edge yelling at him. He grabbed her shoulders and actually lifted her up and away from the edge WHILE she spoke. She was cute when she was mad, and trying to be bossy. She would follow him. He had NO doubt she would do exactly that, which was not good. not only would it drive him nuts, but it would mean she was not practicing the spell and not saving everyone else.

He lifted a hand and rubbed the bridge of his nose with one finger. It was the look of a man who was trying to weigh which was the least troubling of his options, since they were ALL bad. He sighed and looked down at her, "I don't belong here Laurana," he said, "I was BROUGHT here. If ANY of those people knew the truth they would FORCE you to kill me, or banish me." he furrowed his brow as he looked back at the cave, "It doesn't matter what you've done, it's who you are that matters."

He looked down at her then, "Even Morden was afraid for anyone to know the truth," he said expressing his deepest hurt. He looked at her and he wondered how he was ever going to be able to do the things she was asking, and then leave at the end. He knew she was right on some levels though. She needed help learning to use her magic, "I'll help you learn to use your magic," he promised, "But when this is all over, I do not want to live a lie anymore. I will tell everyone the truth, and then you will see that I am right."

Tears were flowing down her cheeks as he promised he'd stay to help her read the book. "As Queen, do I not have the ability to command people to not hate you? To remember it was you who have saved them time and again while I was away? You honestly think I would let anyone condemn you unjustly, and no! It is not right that you should ever die just for being born to parents that you had no choosing of or even remember." She actually stomped her foot in the snow pile, shivering quite uncontrollably with the cold. Her tears froze on her cheeks, and she sneezed a few times, turning her head. "Besides.. what about those dreams... what if... what if they get worse and I have to stay conscious a long time?" She added, moving closer to him to get warm against his body-heat. He was too good to lose. She could never allow him to recklessly endanger his own life, just for the fact he felt prejudiced about himself. She would help him gain his self confidence in any way she could.~

Caden blinked at her little tirade about ORDERING people not to hate him. When she stomped her foot and the snow fluffed up he lost it. He started just chuckling, but by the end he was full out laughing. That is until she mentioned the dreams. he'd forgotten about that. He was the only one there that knew how to capture and kill a demon.

He scooped her up and carried her inside, "You are going to catch pneumonia and you won't have to worry about the rest." He carried her back to Morden's and put her on her feet by the door. When Morden opened the door he held out his hand, "Book," was all he said. He was still too raw to talk to the man. He felt betrayed on so many levels. once he had the book he wrapped his fingers around Laurana's arm and led her away without another word. He could almost feel her disapproval, "Don't ask me to talk to him yet," hes aid, "I can't do it."

They went back to her home and he set the book down and started looking for something she could eat or drink to warm her insides. "What the devil IS all this stuff?" he asked, "Do you ahve tea? Honey? Anything that will help your warm up?" He shook his head, "How people in the future live on this powdered hard stuff...I do not know. Seems impossible to me."

Laurana found herself laughing too, until her laugh turned into a cough. She apologized to Morden, then poked around the kitchen cupboard, realizing it had been days since she'd eaten anything really. She used the toaster for a butter-and-jam toast sandwich, then magicked up both of them some eggs. "It's powder right now, but also grains and noodles and they turn into great meals when cooked properly." She explained, smiling. She found the tea packets and made both of them glasses of hot tea with honey and lemon, just a little sugar as well. She set both their plates on the counter, eating quietly until she felt a lot better, then sipped her tea. He was right, it was freezing cold outside, and looked like it could get worse in a short amount of time. "It's not impossible really... everything is based on learning skills. Once you get the hang of modern technology, it's simple." She'd grown up with all sorts of gadgets on Earth, yet did not feel homesick at all for that planet. "As for Morden..... he loves you as his own son. I'm not going to make you talk to him... but in his defense.. he did the best he could for you to make you safe, to help you grow up with that confidence you have. Don't throw it away just because you're not what you always believed. You grew up having... more of a family than I did, remember that." She added gently, knowing he was still upset at being lied to.

Caden watched her make tea with paper bags and sniffed it to be sure that's what it was, strange for sure, but smelled ok. he ate the food as well, realizing he hadn't eaten today either. He grabbed the book and headed for he more comfortable chairs by the fire, "He taught me a lot," he replied to her words, "If he thinks of me as a son, he's never said as much to me." he said honestly, "There was no need to lie to me about any of it. And it's not like I'm still a child. He had plenty of time to tell me the truth, like before he sent me off to find you. A mission he didn't even know would succeed."

he opened the book, and saw the text. This was completely different from the other book, not only in the language but in the feel of the magic flowing through it. The other book had been GIVEN magic for him to use to bring her back. THIS book was magic. He went to the back of it and saw that it was actively writing, and the last entry read: Caden flipped to the end of the book and saw that it was indeed updating as the present became the past in an instant.

He closed the book with a loud thud and blinked, "Whoa," he said and looked almost afraid to open it again.

She blinked several times at the book, then took it from Caden, turning the cover and flipping through the pages. Staring in shock she didn't know what to say for a moment. "It's... recording our every thought, our words.. we're being written about without writing anything down... Creepy..... how are we supposed to read anything while it's doing that?" She wondered, frowning and pushing strands of her pale pink hair behind her ears. She was confused. And it had been a long, trying day already- no, a long couple of days. She closed her eyes briefly, remembering the nightmare. Would that happen again tonight? Not important, she told herself. She had to figure out a way to make the book settle down.. Settle down..? As if it were a living thing! She placed both hands on the pages, noting how smooth and glowing they were. In ancient Fae, she called to it, "Please calm down, book. We need to see your words." She lifted her hands a moment later, to see if it worked.

Caden nodded, "Yeah it is," he said, "but I think it's supposed to. It's keep the history of the royal family." So she could spell it all she wanted, it would not stop doing it. "All we need to do is go tot he first page and read," he said, "Even that page is different from the other book. I feel like everything i was always told is a lie. I'm not sure I want to read this to be honest."

He took it from her hands then and turned to the first page. "This must be the current volume because it starts with your mother. Queen Aura was much beloved and admired for her kind heart and beauty, as well as for her power and the way she ruled with equity and wisdom. It happened as, most affairs of the heart do, in an unexpected manner. Queen Aura had felt the call of the forest, as sometimes happened to the White Fae Queen. She traveled out to the point of the call and saw a man lying beneath the boughs of a huge evergreen tree surrounded by animals. there were arrows in the trees and sticking up from the ground all around the area. They were the arrows of the humans, but there were none of them about any longer. The man had escaped, and the animals had kept him hidden there. She knelt next to the man and when she went to touch his arm, he turned and grabbed her ready to defend himself. She gasped and stayed as still as possible so he would understand she had no ill intent. She could not believe her eyes. It was King Lorn of the Dark Fae. She saw the arrows had indeed found their targets and she cast a kind gaze upon him. She healed him and he was enchanted by her beauty and sweet spirit. They had met before, but always in very formal, segregated assemblies. He'd never spoken to her, nor had he see her this close. Her eyes were the color of cornflower at the height of their bloom, and her hair was the color of pale pink roses that just opened their petals to greet the summer sun."

He looked up at Laurana then. "She was indeed very beautiful," he told her, "Both inside and out. I can understand how he felt."

He lowered his eyes back to the book and continued, "For her part, she had never seen a more handsome man. His eyes were dark and soulful, and the angles of his face were strong and bold, like a King's should be, it at all possible. They spoke for quite a long while and then parted ways. She to the White Fae and he to the Dark. Neither could forget the other, and when she returned to the spot, she found him there waiting. He confessed that he could not forget her kindness, and she confessed that she could not forget their time together. That single chance meeting turned into many stolen moments and eventually the two were very deeply in love. King Lorn proposed in that very spot. renouncing his throne and life for the honor of sharing life with her. Queen Aura happily agreed and the two wed the same day. Their love created a beautiful little girl which they named, Laurana."

Laurana shivered as if cold again, but simply made a long, green shawl appear around her shoulders, with green glass beads at the end of the long threads. She was deeply touched by such a romantic beginning of her creation.But the tragedy that ended their lives was also saddening.How she wished they could have all been here together, a happy family she'd longed for her whole life. She wanted to hear more, but couldn't focus on anything except wondering what her father was like when he met her mother. What they'd been through because of the dark fae queen,how everything seemed to be falling into place, but at the same time, it was a scary puzzle...

Caden watched her, "Continue?" he asked, "Or do you want to take a break for a bit?" She looked cold and he was worried about her becoming overwhelmed. All of this was a lot to take in. "I know you think i had a better life here, and maybe I did." he said with a shrug, "but at least you can learn about your parents."

He offered her a slight grin but it was obvious he was still stinging from discovering that he was not who he thought all his life.

Laurana walked over and hugged Caden close, not wanting him to feel bad."Maybe there's some stuff in this book about your family..... but yeah we should stop for right now." She added, straightening, and brushing a strand of hair from his eyes. "I know we'll figure things out... maybe we could read one more page." Perhaps his family history was also in this book? She hoped so, she wanted him to have some kind of closure as well. She sat down in the comfortable chair, her body warm and relaxed from the fireplace. It was nice, spending time like this with Caden.

Caden nodded, "Maybe but it is the record of the royal lines, I am not royal..." He opened the book and hugged her gently when she offered one. he wasn't sure what to make of this physical contact but he didn't push her away or rebuke her either. He actually needed a little comfort just then, though he'd never have admitted that out loud. When she was settled he began reading again.

IN the realm of the Dark fae, Neri began to reign, but she soon realized that none of the people respected or followed her as they had her brother. Her heart began to twist her thoughts into dark and ugly imaginations. She convinced herself that her brother's love was what she needed, so she approached him, but he scorned her advances and cast her away from him. Neri's heart became full of hatred and revenge. She blamed Aura for all the ills of her kingdom and her reign. So she disguised herself and made her way into the White Fae kingdom. She found them with their little daughter and revealed herself. Lorn stood between Aura and his sister, while Aura sent their daughter far away where Neri could not harm her. Neri was determined to kill Aura, thinking that was all that stood between her and her brother being together, so twisted and addled were her thoughts. Lorn withstood her, and would not relent, so Neri readied the spell that would remove him, but Lorn instead stripped her of all her power, but a second too late. Not willing for her to gain access to his magic. Lorn cast it off himself and it was called into the tiny body of a young boy who was standing not far away. It would there enhance and build upon the magic nature of his birth, without restriction or bounds."

Caden read that again and with his brows furrowed looked at Laurana," What does that mean?"

Laurana's eyes went huge! She knew what it meant.. but the implications were so alarming that she paled rapidly, turning almost as white as the snow outside. "It means, Caden... you were the child they cast the magic onto-- you were the recipient of Queen Neri's powers just after I'd been sent into the future." She took the book and closed it, gazing at Caden, anxious for how he might react to this bit of news. "We need to stop for the day... I'm ... I'm going out to think." She said, not really sure where she was headed, but she did remember to put on her sneakers, and set the book on her nightstand like always; before wrapping her shawl tightly around her shoulders and moving outside to get some fresh air. Wow.... what discoveries! Why had her father sent the magic to Caden? He was such a small child back then, already confused as to who he was, and now he had these dark gifts to manage as well. Poor man... he really wasn't catching any breaks in the history lessons, was he? She sighed deeply, breathing in the frigid, cold air. She took a walk through the hill-tops, pushing back branches and long leaves. She thought it was beautiful here, with the trees having different, glowing colored barks, the branches almost seemed made of crystals or gems! Distracted,but still lost in turbulent thoughts.

What were you thinking, dad? Did you -choose- Caden to be my protector? Couldn't he have had a choice? Did anyone have a choice to do anything but follow in others' footsteps? Was she following her mothers'? She sighed, pausing by a lake. It was so peaceful and pretty, but she'd gone a far ways from the home... Maybe she should head back soon; she didn't want to leave the spot just yet however, but suddenly, she fell, tripping over a stupid rock she hadn't seen before. She slid down the snow-covered hill, screamed really loud, and hit the water with a splash! Freaking hell! Couldn't she even nature hike without a klutz attack?! She panicked and started sinking in the icy-cold water.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Caden frowned, "I don't think so.." he said but she was already leaving before he could put it all together. He sat for a second and then followed her. He loved the winter shimmer as well, but he was too busy watching her to really enjoy it tonight.

He let her stay a bit ahead of him, because he didn't want to intrude on her thoughts but then whoosh she was in the frozen lake water and he dove in after her. He wrapped an arm around her waist and kicked hard to the surface. The cold was stealing his oxygen quickly and he gasped for breath as he broke free into the air. He pulled her to the side and climbed out with her.He carried her back the way they'd come and once in the cave he nearly RAN to her house. This was not a time for modesty or carefulness. he tore the frozen clothing off of her and him and stood int he shower with warm, tepid water running on them. He slowly increased the temperature a little at a time so as not to send them into shock. He stayed until he felt the warmth seep back into his bones. He looked down at her, "Are you warm yet?' he asked..."warm inside?"

She felt like she was going to die in that freezing water! She was unconscious by the time Caden grabbed her out of the water, and started running home. By the time he had her in the shower however, she felt incredibly shocked she was in the hot water.. and naked! But the warm water was driving away the chill from her and she coughed up a lot of water from her lungs. "T-thanks C-Caden! I'm sorry... I can't even walk down a hill without falling apparently. Some Queen I'll make." She said, trying to hide her embarrassment. She was in a hot steamy shower, naked, in front of Caden-- but it felt... a lot more natural than if she had been forced to go to a doctor, plus Caden -was- better than any doctor, that was certain. She washed herself off in the hot shower, showing that her motor-skills were working, even if her coughing couldn't seem to stop. "I'm warm now...." She added, rinsing off, thoroughly, and wrapping her arms around herself; if it was one thing she was embarrassed about, it was how thin she was.