Pronunciations

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cpt Toellner

Original poster
Inspired by the "Toyota" thread.

What are some of the ways you pronounce certain words that might be different from other parts of the world?

Do you have an accent? And does it become more apparent when saying certain things?

Do you have different terms for various things that others might not use or be familiar with?

I'm from Baltimore, and as part of my horrible accent I pronounce water as 'wa-der'. People have gotten on me about it for years, but I can't quite break the habit. I also say wash as 'warsh' and picture sounds more like pitcher. I've also been told I say down weird, although I have no idea how it is, I think it's because the emphasis the way I say it is usually on the n.

Apparently I (and most other Canadians) pronounce 'sorry' strangely, but quite frankly I'm not sure how any pronunciation of it other than 'sore-ee' is supposed to be More Correct. I'm just sitting here repeating 'so-ree' to myself over and over and it sounds dumb every time. I will fight this to the death. >:|

Also, apparently many Americans say 'often' as 'of'n?' I know I had someone ride me because I pronounced the 'T' but I've literally never heard someone pronounce it as 'of'n' IRL!

A Beginer's Guide to Speaking Yooper:

-This is a "bubbler."

-"Creek" rhymes with "Stick"

-"Ing" at the end of words is now "een".

-"Going by" something means visiting, not passing by.

-"Ant" not "aunt"

-"Route" is with "root"

-Those lights at intersections? Those are "stop-lights."

A Beginner's Guide to Speaking Yooper:

-"Creek" rhymes with "Stick"

-"Going by" something means visiting, not passing by.

-"Ant" not "aunt"

-"Route" is with "root"

-Those lights at intersections? Those are "stop-lights."
If you're elderly and from the South, you pronounce Creek as Stick, too. And everything else is basic down here, too.

-"Ant" not "aunt"
Thank you! I keep telling my kids that. I hate when it's pronounced aunt for some reason....it just grates on my nerves.

I had problems pronouncing dessert correctly. I would mispronounce it, saying desert rather than dessert. Just imagine going out with your girlfriend/boyfriend for dinner and when the main course was finished, you would ask the waiter for some desert XD At least I thought it was weird anyways. I don't know what kind of accent I have but you know it's different than the average one when people are prone to come and ask you about it.

Ty-ota
Wy-lord (wailord)
Jay-zus! (Jesus, but I only say it this way when I'm cursing)
Innit (isn't it)
Yanno (you know)
I'mma (I'm going to)

I'm English, specifically from around the Bristol area. My accent is mostly neutral-English, but Bristol has a rather distinctive accent, and since my family are from there I have picked up a little of it and I do pronounce a few words differently. For those of you who don't know, the stereotypical pirate accent was inspired by the Bristolian accent, so you can imagine how terrifying it must sound.

The word "either" comes to mind. I put an extremely hard 'r' sound on the end of it. It sounds more like "eithur".

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Apparently I (and most other Canadians) pronounce 'sorry' strangely, but quite frankly I'm not sure how any pronunciation of it other than 'sore-ee' is supposed to be More Correct. I'm just sitting here repeating 'so-ree' to myself over and over and it sounds dumb every time. I will fight this to the death. >:|
Myself from BC, I and those I know pronounce sorry as something like saw-ree. I've heard the sore-ree pronunciation before, though rarely, but never the so-ree.

• Thank You
Reactions: Minibit
I'm not entirely sure.

The folks in England seem to pronounce "often" with a silent 't', but even though I've developed and English accent -- I'm Colombian, for the record -- I always pronounce it with the 't'.

I'm just honestly horrible at pronouncing words. I pronounced hyperbole "hyper-bowl" the first time I saw it. I pronounce gesture "guess-ture" instead of "jes-ture." I honestly have no idea why, but I naturally butcher words when I first see them and I've never heard them aloud. My friends all find it quite entertaining. I guess I don't actually mind being teased about it.

I live in the southernmost part of Sweden, and we have a very distinct dialect and ways of pronouncing things, but it's hard to describe it in English :(

Basically, what we do is drag out all the vowels and soften all the consonants.

I spent years saying "buy-aized" instead of biased, and thought misled was a different word pronounced "my-zld" before I realised the pronunciation "miss-led" made much more sense for that word's definition. Oh, the curse of learning your vocabulary by reading.

As for accents, I have a pretty strong southern English accent most of the time, but for certain words and phrases I apparently slip into a soft Scottish accent without noticing. This is exacerbated when I'm drunk; take from that what you will.

I can't even begin to fathom the time my dad first dubbed me as "Megamind" because of all my unintentional mispronunciations...

A few would be fragrance (frah-grehnce) and aesthetics (asstheticks). It drove me nuts knowing those pronunciations were wrong afterwards, but it was funny. I'll never stop pronouncing them wrong haha!

Myself from BC, I and those I know pronounce sorry as something like saw-ree. I've heard the sore-ree pronunciation before, though rarely, but never the so-ree.

Same. I mean, it makes sense because we live in the same city, but still.

For myself, I suck at pronouncing 'r's. They tend to come out as 'w's.

I could make a list for days o.o

Pronounce = pronunce

Alan = uhlawn

Pamela = puhmella

Australia = Ayoostralia

yea = yee

Canada = Canadia

I cannot say elevator. It's just impossible. Always evelator or elvelator -.-

People tell me I have a very thick german accent. Though in germany, apparently they also hear my eastern accent, as I am now living in the south part of germany. For example, the german word for eleven is "elf", I used to pronounce it "ölf" however.

According to @Foxxie I say pajama, banana and either wrong : |

I say it as pih-jam-uh, bih-nah-nuh, and ee-ther...

Right and it is Toy-yota

Status
Not open for further replies.