Project Genesis - Episode Seven: Zion against Babylon

The question seemed to catch Setem off guard only mentally. For a brief moment he could not think of anything, his mind blank as if he was still watching the scenery. "You must have seen my file, it should all be in there." Setem replied finally breaking the stillness. "But knowing Dayne the file is for public appeal. I never did leave Crusade, in fact I still fight for it, just not the way you think I do. Just remember even the most promising tree can bare rotting fruit." The 00 closed as the vehicle came to a complete stop. Jerek and Setem proceeded on outside and saw what seemed to be an encampment of sorts. Most everyone was outside tending to their duties, people running around with half ripped uniforms from a recent fight. Rolling around were several tanks and a few scout ships were being refueled. The smell was enough to make anyone nervous. Oil and sweat were the components to making blood in this place.

[SUMMARY: Setem answers the question with what seems like his own riddle. Both Jerek and Setem reach the front lines and the former bodyguard takes in the smells of war.]

Nova Corps Headquarters, Semile
Talbot was once again sitting in his office. It was a spacious room with a full view of the city from all sides. Not even the highest ranking members could have afforded this sort of luxury. Then again, this company did control most of everyday life in Semile. Whether it was something basic like soaps to a machine as complex as the airships owned by the military, it had a Nova Corps brand on it. All the humans that got replacement body parts, including Dayne, had this company to thank. So of course David was smug, he might as well have control over the entire world.

However, there were two things that still bugged him. The first was still missing Messiah. Millions of dollars had been invested in that child. If she wasn't found soon, he'd have to answer to Tobias again. The second was Ada. She had been trouble for the past few weeks. He had no idea why his father would have allowed for such a rebellious woman to exist in his household and to make matters worse, treating that slave as his own daughter. Ada had a habit of playing hooky and his best teams failed to find her after he demanded her.

As he looked out at the hundreds of skyscrapers in the cave of glass that was Semile, his day dreaming was cut short when a young woman with glasses walked in. She seemed somewhat perplexed about the messages she was continually receiving from some client named Miss C.

"Sir…Someone named Miss C wanted me to inform you, her computers have picked up readings of 00 activity from the Coldstone Labs…." Miss Bower said. She was one of many office assistants he had.

"Is that so?" David asked, raising an eyebrow. He didn't fully trust this Miss C figure. Like Ada, she had been a close associate of his father and apparently she had the best items for monitoring the activities of all the 00s. And like all men of power, David was also weary of people that never showed their faces in public. "Do we have any resources in that district?" He asked.

"No sir. The nearest mobile forces are several hundred kilometers away." Miss Bower responded while looking up company records via a PDA.

"Hmmm…So Coldstone, eh? Knowing what there's still hundreds of dormant drones. Send out an order to awaken, oh….Let's say 50. They wear down whatever rouge 00 is still running around." Nova Corps had several cloning facilities scattered throughout Semile. After the Crusaders rejected the usage of clones, Nova Corps kept all these soldiers hidden away, just in case they needed their own personal army….

"Sir…But what happens if it is the Messiah?"

"Simple. She'll go into a rage because she's being attacked. Unleashes her powers, we find her and take her down with a dosage of one of these." He then pulled open a drawer and took out a close with a black syringe inside. These were the same tranqs that Dr. Sherriden had on her person in case Sahar ever got out of hand. "Is there anything else?"

Miss Bower shook her head no.

"Good. Now leave me alone. Only come back once the systems inform us of what we have caught."

Zion's place

Thinking they were safe for the moment, Zion went to get the first aid kit. He had just finished patching up Sahar when his ears picked up something. His place often made strange noises but this was one noise he'd never heard before. And it was coming from a place he'd never heard a sound come from before. "Be right back." He headed toward the door Sahar had used to entire the lab and squinted at the control panel opposite the one Sahar had used to get in. It was flashing red and it was the source of the noise.

BBEEPPBBEEPPBBEEPPBBEEPPBBEEPPBBEEPPBBEEPPBBEEPPBBEEPPBBEEPP!! ... So urgent ...

A younger Zion and an older man stood in front of the control panel. The Old Man had said he wanted to show Zion something and it had sounded real important. So important, he'd even had Zion take his earphones off and made sure Zion was paying attention. "Zion. If this thing ever turns red and starts beeping real loud. I want you to run."

Zion had blinked. Weird. "Um ... run? Run where?"

"I don't care where. You just run." The Old Man had ruffled his hair. "You just be a good boy and run."

Infernal noise! Sahar groaned from her place on the couch. "What's that?"

At the sound of her voice, Zion snapped out of the daze. His eyes remained on the flashing control panel. He took one step back, then another and another ... The door to the lab opened. Those action figures were waiting behind it. And they didn't look very happy. Sahar turned her head. Damnit, those things were active! She groaned as she stood. "Get out of the way!" She was going to destroy those things!

Zion quickly turned and threw his hands up. "No! You can't kill them!"

"Why not?!"

"Because uh ... they um ... Look, a birdie!" He pointed somewhere over Sahar's left shoulder.

Sahar blinked and actually turned--then turned back! "You idiot, there's no--!" She was cut off when Zion jumped over the couch to throw her over her shoulder and ran as the active drones charged forward! Run, the Old Man had said. And run he definitely was!

[Summary: Thanks to Talbot, the active drones appear. Remembering instructions the Old Man had given him, Zion grabs Sahar and runs!]

DAYNE'S OFFICE AT MINISTRY OF INFORMATION.

She hated this. Being passed back and forth between people. A tool. A weapon. Promises that she could choose what she wanted, yet always being controlled. Talked about like she was meaningless. Like the people around her were meaningless. This was all a war that no one was going to win.

Setem's words were still ringing in her ears. To be a pawn in this government is always a sick feeling but it is what we do to live.

Rhiannon was lingering in Dayne's office. She understood what her orders were, but... there was a compelling urge to do more than just accept it.

"Why do you do all of this. Build this girl in to a Messiah. Let all of these people die and suffer, MAKE people die and suffer. ...and then put the responsibility of a 'better world' on someone else's shoulders. Why does it have to be strings and games and war. Why couldn't it just be YOU?" Her questions all came out at once before she could even think to stop them. All of the things she wondered, was confused by, wanted answers for!

Why?

HIDDEN LOCATION, EARLIER - ALONE WITH HIGH PRIEST TOBIAS

Dr. Amy Sherridan was now leaning on the desk, her hand over her mouth the other laying over her stomach that was churning with dread. What have you done with your creation?! Amy couldn't reply.

The images on the screen were terrible. Ripping people apart, all of the destruction and death. This wasn't the girl AMY had been caring for the past few years. This was not the girl she affectionately called Sahar. The woman was blood thirsty, wild, uncontrollable. This was Project Genesis.

"She isn't-" the choking of her voice forced her to stop and swallow before she could continue, "She isn't my creation. Tobias this isn't my Sahar." Amy could see the doubt and suspicion on his face. She shook her head, drawing up as many of the Project Genesis plans as she could on to her computer screen. Anything that wasn't access blocked by Nova Corps. It seems Dr. Talbot didn't trust her with confidential files anymore...

"Project Genesis was started years before my time. Creating the perfect humans. Individuals that were healthy, strong. The future of mankind. Granted, genetic research always gives way to wanting to create warriors. The 00s specifically have been used for soldiers due to the nature of their gifts." The public file of Jerek was pulled up. A perfect example of a 00 soldier.

"When I joined Nova Corps I was just an intern. Paperwork for doctors, physical checkups and bloodwork on the projects. I didn't intend to stay with the company, but I met this little girl... Tobias, she was an angel. So clever and so talented. But locked up in the labs like a pet. I stayed for Sahar. I busted my ass to get on her project." Hands rubbing against her cheeks, Amy glanced back at the footage on the screen. There was no traces of that little girl left in the woman.

"I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't grow. Her bloodwork was perfect. Everything flawless. I eventually tried to stop her medication, but when I did she would get physically ill, violent. At one point I was afraid it would kill her. So I gave it to her. I wasn't even sure what it did, but I gave it to her so she would stay healthy. Tobias, she hasn't had that medication for days..." Because of her, Sahar had no idea what was happening to her. She had grown, her power was out of control.

"She doesn't know what's happening to her. She doesn't understand. Sahar is still a person, Tobias. She needs to know why. We've got to find her." she finally muttered under her breath, dropping the other files from the screen. But she paused suddenly. Scooting her chair, she was quickly pressing the buttons on the tv screen to rewind the footage. She paused it.

That face. She recognized that man's face.

Amy was back at the computer, drawing up project files again. She flipped through them until she found. Project 05. Failed experiment. Canceled. 'But still alive.'

"I've found her! Let's go. Now!"

ZION'S PLACE

BANG. BANG. BANG.

The moment Zion came running out of his home with Sahar over his shoulder, it was Dr. Amy with a gun firing warning shots at him. A scowl on her face, there were several of the High Priest's personal security climbing out of the armored car behind her, also aiming their weapons.

"Let go of Sahar." she stated, simply. Only the slightest hint of her anger in her voice.

She had no idea that Talbot's clones were awakening in the building before them.

SUMMARY: Amy explains to Tobias her role in the Genesis Project and how she feels about Sahar. They managed to find Sahar's location, and show up to claim her!

Reactions: 1 person
MINISTRY OF INFORMATION... EVENING...

The metal hand of Thaddeus Dayne gripped the bottle as he poured, the wine like scarlet blood as it cascaded into the two glasses. He had let the silence settle after Rhiannon's flurry of questions, but not for dramatics alone. His answers did not roll as smoothly as before, as if perhaps his late meeting with the Messiah had dulled a little of the silver on his tongue.

"I dearly wish that I could answer you..." he paused to remember her taken name, "Rhiannon. Just as I wish you could understand, as history will." He put aside the bottle and lifted both glasses by the stems, turning to bring his gaze upon her. And he noted her reaction - the slight and cynical twitch at the mention of history. He had spent so long in the presence of zealots that he had almost forgotten what atheists looked like in the intolerable presence of the faithful.

The Minister looked down, laughed a little, then brought the glasses over to her. "It's funny: we've twisted the people so far beyond their instincts that now you, the 00s, are perhaps more human than the humans - as if by creating you we somehow... switched places." He held out a glass, patiently, waiting for her to take it, the silence hanging between them.

And it was only when she consented that he continued. "But then again, Rhiannon, what is a human really? A flicker. A wilting flower. No more. Humans die and are forgotten - they do not survive history. Only symbols are immortal. So why not slaughter and oppress? Why not rape and desecrate? Why not corrupt all that is beautiful... if it will change us from humans into symbols?"

He clinked her glass, slowly, no longer smiling but serious as he held her gaze. "I will tell you what the Messiah is, Rhiannon. She is every child who is born innocent and looks upon the world as we have all done. But where we saw confusion and contradiction, she will see only symbols. Not for her will be the fear and the uncertainity - the hypocrisy that makes us... put up fronts and tell lies, hide our feelings and leave our desires unrequited. She... SHE will behold a world in violent clarity, complete with monsters and damsels, the guilty and the meek."

He raised his own glass to his lips. "She will see only a fairytale and a happy ending to come. You and I are part of that now, Rhiannon."

[SUMMARY: Drinks and Daynishes]

Zion's place

Zion skidded to a halt at the warning shots but all he did was tilt his head at Amy. "Gee, this place got real popular real fast," he remarked to himself. He blinked when she gave him orders. "Uh, sure, Miss. But um, could you do me a favor?" Before Amy could reply, he turned slightly and threw his thumb over his shoulder. "Would you mind telling them to stop first."

The clones were smashing down the doors and even the walls, mindless and yet driven. They were active and they didn't really care who got in their way. Although, their flaws showed through when a bunch of them came swarming at Sherridan and the guards she'd taken with her! A few still attacked Zion, though, but he fought them off and, finding that most of the clones were occupied, he fled back into his home!

[Summary: Zion's clones attack Sherridan and the force she'd brought with her. Zion does the only thing a child does when faced with bad odds ... He heads back home.]

[size=-2]
Timid scientists knocked on the door to Dayne's room, in their possession a slender girl who was barely a woman in their eyes. Hair like dark chestnut poured over the stark white of the sterile gurney, her tanned limbs strapped down. The once inquisitive jade green eyes were closed, the only sound emanating from her were the purely mechanical whirs of machines keeping her breathing and heart rate not only stable, but charted. Eros clung to life, the traumatic crash bringing her within inches of death, but she held steadfast.

Weakly, Eros opened an eye. She knew, faintly, that she was some sort of prisoner. Though she did not know why, she was aware that they were forcibly holding her. It did not matter, though. Before her swam the image she had sought for and she wished desperately on any luck she might have that it was not a solitary vision in front of her.

"Dayne..." a rasp, softer than the machines beside her and she was certain no one would hear her, but she heard it and the name made her feel at one secure. Eros eased her body into the bed and closed her eyes again, listening for the voices that could lull her to sleep without effort.
[/size]

Chestel smiled as she listened to Ada, instantly starting to feel maybe a stronger connection. The woman had a sense of charisma, honestly, and it was easy to see why she was a legend. She seemed nothing like the first moments of consciousness, where she was crying. The black/blue-haired girl wanted to ask what had made this woman cry, but figured that was a bit of a personal issue that she shouldn't get involved in. It wasn't her place to get involved in.

The girl looked at the tattoo again and then smiled up at Ada, "I don't mind monologues... I rather like hearing other people talk.... it's... interesting to me, to hear other people talk about themselves." Chestel admitted with a small grin, petting Brisket idly. Then noticed something. She was a year older than Ada. That was odd to her. She figured a woman with as many experiences under her belt as Ada would be older than some punk like herself. She kept that to herself, however, and moved on.

"Well, for all intents and purposes, and with all the info you've given me about yourself, I'd agree, honestly, you do seem kinda badass." Chestel grinned up at Ada. Brisket whimpered and Chestel paused to pet and comfort the pup, searching around in her clothing to find that she didn't have a bottle for Brisket. She didn't have any formula, and the dog was probably getting a little hungry. She guessed that the pup was just going to have to wait, and comforted it a little more. "I mean, you survived that crash without much of a scratch, while that guy.... You called him Altair, right? seemed to have already fractured his leg, then the dumbass tried to STAND on it. I could HEAR the snap from where I was, even though he had me in that voodoo trance-like shit...." Chestel explained.

"...." Ada wasn't sure exactly what to say about Altair. The moment these Norfolkians found out that he was an 00, odds were high that they would shoot him on the spot. For decades the Norfolkians had to deal with all sort of Nova Corps creations. Talbot Sr. had called these genocides, "savage wars of peace."

"He's absent minded, that's all. I wouldn't call him a moron, but very self centered and focused. He's lost so much going on a wild witch hunt trying to rescue his sister from the hands of the Yankees.... He's lost it all. As for why I remained unharmed..." Ada then rolled up her left sleeve, the big numbers that Chestal had seen before were still there, forever etched like large white tattoos. She then twisted the arm. It then slipped down, revealing that it was a robotic limb. Ada's eyes then looked distant. "I am not a full human anymore, a mixture of nanobots and flesh. So long as my brain stays in tact, the nanobots will continue to repair my organs and renew my damaged cells. I don't know what that means to be honest. Right now all I am is a poster child for the all to human contempt for over-dependence on technology, particularly when used for war..."

She then retwisted her false arm back in place, "I guess, all I can say is this; the world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

"Five minutes till we're back home." Smith shouted over the din of the Huey's blades. A few pirates had their feet dangling over the side of the helo, weapons trained outboard. Those that had hard covers sat on them. It wasn't because they were comfortable to sit on, which they weren't, but because they didn't feel like getting their manhood shot off if someone decided to trade bullets with them.

"Chestel, Marley's in the kennel right now. Knowing him he's probably out like a light." Smith said to the MA, one of the pirates on the door mounted M-60s shifting his weapon. "She can go with you." The pirate motioned to Ada. "Raynor ought to have some chow left over from lunch. You're free to it when we touch down."

--------------------------------------

Combat Information Center
USS Nimitz (CVN-68)
30 Miles off the coast...

"They're redoubling their efforts." Captain Morschoer said to Admiral Baker as the Old Man and several of his Captains looked over incoming data from the battle raging throughout the Hampton Roads area. "No matter how many we kill they keep pouring more in to fill the gaps. At the rate we're going they'll be in Norfolk within the next few days." Baker picked up his mug of coffee and emptied it, choking back the cold liquid.

"I never thought the day would come but we may have to retreat to the Gulf." Baker said as he leaned against the table. "Send word to Pascagoula and Jacksonville. They are to bring all facilities online in preparation to recieve the fleet. Inform the Texans of our intent."

"Order forces already in combat to commence heavy rearguard actions. All riverine units are to make their way to the Mississipi by any means possible and follow it to the Gulf. Have Sealift Command begin prepositioning supply caches along the way. I want prisoners to be left in the open at Norfolk, Oceana, Little Creek, and Yorktown. Fix weapons to them and let the hated enemy cut their own down."

"Admiral, what if the enemy chooses to persue us South?" a Captain asked.

"Order Yorktown to empty the nuclear stockpile and booby trap the bunkers. I want that base to light up like the Fourth of July when the Yankees come knocking."

"And our forces in the North? We can't just abandon them."

"That's what the sub fleet is for. Any subs on intelligence gathering are to head North to commence extraction operations. Any and all equipment there is to be destroyed. These are my orders. Carry them out."

------------------------------------

(OOC)
-Flight back to base.
-The Norfolkians are fighting a losing battle. Admiral Baker issues orders to fall back to the Gulf and leave traps for the Yankees.
(/OOC)

It was Midnight Mass at the Church of St Meno. The congregation stood on a floor still crusted with the flagellant blood of Declaration Day. All in the ruins of the cathedral had been preserved, from the bullet-tracks of Custodian rifles to the dome that Dayne's car had crashed through; from the chapel flooded by Setem to the walls still white with aether residue. For this was now a place of legend, where demons and angels had fought and the Messiah and touched the brow of Thaddeus Dayne and through him blessed the people.

At a pulpit mounted on the broken pile of the Carmot droid, the preacher leant forth. His voice was a softly father's, lest it should disturb the vigil candles.

"Now gather forth, my children, and wrap yourselves in cloaks and fur. By candlelight recline and listen to the lullabies. For they are sounding, young ones, as they sound for all upon their voyage."

With one pale hand he gripped the lecturn and let his voice slip through the freezing night.

"We are homeward bound."​

Lieutenant Carlsen entered the warehouse office, causing Yuri to frown and sit forward. "Sorry, Yuri," the soldier holstered his pistol as he spoke, "Your friends took off. Their getting their asses kicked in the south. The whole damn nation is on an Exodus."

Yuri's shoulders dropped, as if with this revelation another part of his soul had slipped away. Steiner and his friends had been the one shred of light in all of this, but now they had left like all the others. There was barely a handful of the Brotherhood that remained... a happy few.

"So what are your orders..." Carlsen mumbled, his eyes lifting as he chose the next word, "Dante?"

Yuri looked up, a little shocked at the name he had been addressed with. But it only lasted a second, before a greater terror gripped him. He saw the red dot splashing across his friend's chest. "Carlsen!!!"

It was too late. The wall of the office exploded in sprays of rock-dust and shrapnel. The first round took Carlsen in the chest and the second in the neck, carrying him through the doorway in a torrent of blood. Yuri lunged, as if to reach for the slaughtered man, then fell beneath the desk, twisting underneath it as bullets pounded the tabletop. The office seemed to collapse around him, dust and smoke choking his lungs, before another voice rang above the gunfire.

"Yuri!"

Anna was in the doorway, stepping over Carlsen's body with a rifle in each hand. She fired on full auto, demolishing the rest of the wall as she sought the distant snipers. Yuri didn't waste a second. Wriggling from under the table, he crawled beneath the path of Anna's fire and rolled up beside her. She dropped one of the rifles into his hands then pulled him from the office, giving him no time to glance at Carlsen's shattered form. In the main warehouse another two men dropped, like puppets with their strings cut, jerking in a dozen places as sniper fire picked them apart. There were yells from the rest of Carlsen's squad, punctuated by grenade detonations in the parking lot. There was no sign of Lars. Yuri and Anna snatched up a pair of helmets from the packing crates, slapping them on just in time before telltale thuds sounded on the warehouse roof.

The aether bombs triggered a second afterwards and the warehouse was flooded with white light and squealing noise. As the sensory filters in Yuri's helmet compensated, the world became a silent, dream-like place. He watched in slow-motion as a Mech ploughed through the wall, twin jets of flame shooting from its wrists to wash away the rest of Carlsen's squad. Through the breach behind it, Custodians were pouring in, most of them teenagers by their build, armed and armoured in their adolescent rage. And through the skylights near the rafters, an HK was circling like a vulture.

It must have been Deirdre or the Norfolkians. Someone had made a mistake and blown their cover.

But there was nothing else for Yuri to think about, except the coming steps. Anna was still firing and covering him as he ran. And ran he did, straight towards the east wall where he remembered an old window had been boarded over. It was plywood, inches thin and no match for a man on the edge of his destruction. Yuri threw himself into the wall of the warehouse and as the board gave way he spilled out into the light, rolling across the service road.

A set of tyres squealed to a halt inches from his face. Yuri threw off his helmet, wincing against the background noise of aether bombs and coming into a crouch. He levelled his rifle at the windshield of the vehicle. He was ready to decapitate the teenage Custodians within with a stream of fire. But the driver who leant out of the window and yelled at him was no Custodian and certainly not a teenager.

"Well, are you getting in or not?" shouted Lars. The police double-agent was behind the wheel of Carlsen's van, the grill dented and stained with the blood of some unmerciful collisions.

Yuri ran to the passenger side. "You were gonna leave without us?"

"Yep." Lars opened the door for Yuri and put the vehicle in gear.

"Hey Anna!" Yuri shouted as he grabbed the handle. "Move your ass!"

The girl climbed out of the breach behind him, emptying the rest of her magazine into the warehouse. "You taking me somewhere nice?"

"Let's go!"

"No need to sh--"

There was a sharp sound, like bone cracking, and then something hot and wet washed against Yuri's face. For a moment he thought he had been caught by a flamethrower, but then he blinked the liquid from his eyes and saw Anna falling in the breach. Between them was an avenue of blood, stretching from her body to his boot, up his fatigues, onto his hands and face. His heart seemed to stop as he realised what was covering him. "Anna!"

Lars gripped his shoulder.

"ANNA!!"

He was pulled backwards into the vehicle and the engine roared. The scene of Anna, lying bullet-ridden in the breach, vanished like a memory swept aside. He felt the vehicle accelerate, the back window shatter under gunfire, Lars cursing as he wrenched the wheel. Yuri slid down into the footwell, broken glass sticking to his blood-smeared skin, and only the sounds of his own screams in his ears.

"And as we near the pleasant pastures and seek the faces we have known... As we walk the well-worn paths and breathe again the flowered scents... As we share a drink and smile back along the path that we have trodden... we must remember, that it was darkness from whence we came. And in those tangled entrails of the forest, truly we were tested."​

Thousands of miles away, in the middle of a great expanse of water, Jerek stood upon the viewing platform of a Merkabah Tank. The command vehicle a foot above the water, hovering like a bird of prey.

But there was nothing left for this bird to take. In the water, stretching for miles in all directions, the remains of Norfolk floated like a nightmare painting. Shreds of wood, half-pieces of furniture, flags and bodies. You could hardly see the water between them. The heavier things like munitions and girders had sunken, leaving only this surface detritus, shifting with the tide like infected skin.

And the man responsible for this now sat behind Jerek. Setem was perched on the turret, a few feet from the viewing platform, his head in his hands, his body hunched. Like a biblical plague he had summoned the waters and overturned the toys of Norfolk, flooding bunkers and capsizing vessels. When the bombardments and aerial assaults had failed, the Nephilim had called upon their sorceror, and Setem had played his part. As the smaller vessels went under, the 00 had picked apart the larger flagships, each wave of his hands seizing bloodstreams of distant gunners, helmsmen and officers. A hundred targetted assassinations, the ships hollowed out from the inside and their fuel-lines ruptured. The symphony was ended with Nephilim strikes and then all was given over to the merciless deep.

"Describe it to me," Setem's voice was ghostly as it sounded above the ocean choked with the dead. "Tell me what victory feels like."

Jerek remained facing forward. Even now his own shame hung upon the horizon - the base at Oceana still burning in great plumes that lifted to the heavens. Years of intelligence had allowed him to orchestrate the perfect annihilation. In a HK far above, he had directed the fires, like a child with a yellow crayon despoiling a map. The trails of flame had leapt from one checkpoint to the next, exploding armouries, torching hardware, encircling and engulfing troops. Being so far above there was nothing to feel. It was like torching an ant's nest. With the outer perimeter burning, Jerek had directed paths of fire into the deepest bunkers, incinerating all resistance.

When Jerek made no answer, Setem spoke again, his head still hanging in his hands. "If I'm water and you're fire, then tell me how to feel the opposite of what I feel. Persuade me that this is not abomination."

Two other patches on the horizon recalled the fates of Little Creek and Yorktown. The first had suffered the Driden Guns, a geothermal technology developed in the last five years and tested now to devastating effect. The seismic shock had torn the crusts apart and brought the mantle into violent eruption. The ground had split beneath Little Creek and all had fallen into fire and darkness. The smoke could still be seen, escaping gases bearing up the souls of the dead.

And greater than all of these was the aftermath of Yorktown. Here a Pyrrhic victory was painted by nuclear mushroom clouds, where the Norfolkians had offered one last defiant armageddon. A whole Nephilim battlegroup had been lost as the 400 year nuclear stockpile gave a parting gesture to the world. And as with Little Creek, all that would be left was a crater gouged from the earth and a poisoned land that would outlast its creators.

The four bases had fallen, and each had carried a piece of Jerek's soul into hell.

"I can't," Jerek answered, gripping the railing of the tank and staring into the bloody ocean. In time they would learn that a third of the bodies floating here were civilians and Semilian prisoners, dressed and adorned to look like combatants. There would be no liberations, no photographs, no spoils of war. The Nephilim army would return home with nothing but handfuls of ash and the tattered word of victory.

Setem lifted his head and looked at Jerek's back, shimmering tears running from his eyes. And then he whispered. "Dayne would... wouldn't he?"

"So speak no more of measuring, for tasks we have weathered and monsters we have fought. Thus naming friends and foes we had walked the spiral and upon a crucible been burned away. What remains, my children: what remains is this. We smile and we bear our candles and pause to tell our stories. Great tales. Sad tales. Of loves discovered and rages spent. Now shall the old soldiers and weeping mothers say... that naught remains but the telling."​

"Stop it!" Chestel shouted, pushing against the outstretched arm of the soldier. Smith was holding her back and leering as his comrades encircled the crawling forms of Ada and Altair. Their jeers were punctuated by the sickening sounds of boots on flesh. Altair had it worst - one man had stomped on his broken leg while the other was kicking him in the face. Ada meanwhile had covered up as best she could, leaving her shoulders and back exposed to the slamming butts of rifles.

Five minutes ago the call had come in. The Norfolkians were pulling back to the Gulf and a general evacuation had been ordered. And three minutes ago one of the old quartermasters had put a name to Altair's face. The uncovered 00 and his sympathiser had barely gotten off the helicopter when they were mobbed.

"Leave them alone!" Chestel tried to bite Smith's arm, but only received a backhand for her troubles. She landed in the mud, curling up lest the men should turn their fury on her. Another few minutes passed, though it felt like a lifetime, as Altair was beaten unconscious. Then the men grew tired, their adrenaline spent and their testosterone appeased. And yet it was not just exhaustion that stayed them in the end. For all their bravado and all their atheism, there was yet not one among them who had the courage to put the bullet in a 00s head. They would beat this divine warrior together, but no one man would pull the trigger alone.

Let he who is without sin...

Leaving Ada and Altair in the mud, they reclaimed their gear and set off, joining the rest of the soldiers who were moving in slow file from the camp. Smith shouldered his own rifle and looked back at Chestel, no apology in his eyes.

"We're heading for the coast. The subs are picking up the Northern forces. It's time to go, Chestel."

The girl was lying on her side, not looking at him. "I'm staying."

Behind Smith, the last troops were setting fire to the camp, destroying what equipment they could before moving out. "It's because of those fucking dogs, isn't it? I told you - we can't take them. Orders are to leave non-essential equipment."

Chestel shifted on the ground, crawling over to Ada and cradling her head. She lay with her and Altair as the fires burned around them. "It's not just the dogs." Through the smoke her eyes, wet with tears and smoke, glared at Smith.

But the soldier simply shook his head and turned, leaving the camp with the rest of the convoy.

"But for all who travel, this truth remains. The home is not yet won, till gift-bearing we are brought to the last of all battles. A final foe, whose arena is not in the mountains climbed or the forests passed, nor in the oceans sailed or the deserts crossed. It is the monster and the madness that was there all along, from which you fled when first this quest began. For at the start you faltered, and in this refusal was born your final antagonist. And though then you were wanting, now you are apt, and in second conflict you join your circles."​

Darkness had swallowed him whole... taking every inch... pouring down his throat, slipping behind his eyes, coating his lungs. Heinrich had been in the canteen when it happened - a few percussion beats of thunder, then pops in the outer chambers, then the world upturned around him. He had read about this weapon, but had never dreamt he would one day be a victim of its unsettling power. The Magdar Cannon had been fired from over a hundred miles away, from a quick-build rig set up by a Nephilim battlegroup. Intelligence had known about it for some time and had sent commando units to sabotage it, but none had succeeded. They had underestimated the range, and the ship Heinrich was on had suffered for that error. It was amongst the rearguard of the convoy heading south for the Gulf, but it would no longer be joining its sister ships in sanctuary. The three magnetized charges had pierced the hull at supersonic velocity, the inverse forces crumpling each compartment they passed through. It was like a magnet thrown into a bed of nails - everything was reshaped, corridors crushed, walls severed or fused. Along the trajectory of the Magdar projectile, material was alternately charged, both postive and negative, till the twin forces of attraction of repulsion cracked the ship in a hundred places. The encroaching water had done the rest.

But now the vessel was being raised. Heinrich felt the water drain around him, leaving him amidst the piles of soldiers who had been in the canteen. Most had drowned but others were stirring, their murmurs uncertain, their movements half-asleep. Heinrich tried to move but found another body slumped across his own, pinning him to the ground. And it was not long before the crack of gunshots cut his senses. The Nephilim were onboard. Somehow they had raised the ship, perhaps with their hover technology, and now they were picking their way through the drowned cabins. In his reeling mind, Heinrich knew why they were here. They wanted prisoners - a few token Norfolkians to parade on their news channels, bloated with false confessions, demonized before the people.

His mechanical hand whirred as he tried to will it back into life... as he tried to reach for a pistol, a grenade - anything to release him from such a fate. But even now there were footfalls moving through the canteen, and he could see combat boots picking their way between the corpses. Some of the soldiers were dragged up - the females particularly and the younger pirates - clearly the ones whose minds could be easily shattered.

"That's enough," spoke a voice. "Kill the rest."

Heinrich closed his eyes, awaiting the release. He just hoped they would use bullets instead of flame. But what came was not the swift crack of a rifle, but an electonic whine - three notes sounding in melody.

"What's wrong with that cyborg?" spoke the same voice from before.

A younger voice, one closer to Heinrich, answered, "It's not completing the order, Sir. It says there's a Semilian in here."

"Probably a defector. Put in the override and carry on."

There was another melody then a low whirring. The young voice spoke again. "It's refusing the override, Sir. It says the Semilian is a Level 5."

"A dignitary?" asked the older voice. There was a pause and then the boots returned, the Nephilim squad spreading out through the canteen. There were more mechanical sounds - scanners being switched on, flashlights and thermal imagers coming to life. Eventually Heinrich felt a foot slip beneath his ribs and with one swift kick he was rolled onto his back.

Through half-closed eyes he saw the Cyborg staring down at him, emitting another tune as its bionic eye focussed on his. There were two Nephilim soldiers either side of it, looking perplexed. The younger one was checking a PDA. "He's fully registered, Sir. Inner Party, co-signed by Reza Deane, Level 5 citizenship."

"Fuck," spat the older one, clearly a lieutenant or major. He scratched his stubbled jaw as he pondered his next move, and Heinrich just had time to hear it before he drifted out of consciousness. "Okay, let's get him home."

"So I ask you, children, what is home? What truly may we call it? How should it be framed? Is it our anchor to the earth? Surely not, for we are anchored by our faith and our courage and our thirsting hearts. For he without a home may yet be a martyr or a hero or a father or a son. We are not, as smoke, prone to dissipate should the fire give out. And we are not as water from a mountain spring, for by the light of Project Genesis we see how a man might issue from word and thought alone, forsaking the soil he was reared on."​

Zion stumbled in the alleyway, toppling against the wall of his house as his legs gave way beneath Sahar's weight.

"Ow! Watch it, you jerk!"

"Gimme a break," Zion muttered, his voice slurring as he tried to get back up, "It was just a mosquito or someth.. oh" He slumped with his back against the wall, looking down at the black dart lodged in his chest. "Well, that can't be go.." His eyes fluttered closed and he fell onto his side.

"Hey, wake up! You're not done carrying me yet!" Sahar's arm was bleeding again and she felt weak as he shook Zion's side, trying to rouse him. A black liquid was pumping from the chamber of the dart and entering his bloodstream. She couldn't tell where the shot had come from. Behind them, the High Priest's honour guard were battling the drones, firing over the hood of the armoured car as the machines spilled from the ruins of Coldstone Labs. It wouldn't be long before one side triumphed and came after her.

Sahar was about to reach for the dart lodged in Zion's chest when, but she was frozen by the squealing of tyres. A sleek hover car, polished black, swooped around the side of Zion's house and dazzled her with its headlights. Head spinning, she she started trying to pick Zion up, even as she heard the doors of the hover car slide open. A second later the headlight beams were eclipsed by two shapes, calmly standing and watching her. It was a dark haired man and a blonde woman. The woman wore a red military jacket and there was smoke pouring from the cigar clamped between her teeth. And the man, who stood with clasped hands, wore the finest business suit with tie, shimmering cufflinks and polished shoes.

"Hello, Genesis," said David Talbot, his clean-shaven face creasing into a smile.

"My, how you've grown," added Miss Cordelia.

Sahar suddenly realised the silence around her. Looking back down the alleyway, she saw that the drones had stopped. They simply stood now, like statues, motionless as their comrades lay smoking on the floor. Behind the armoured car, the surviving honour guard were poised nervously, Tobias and Dr Sherriden emerging from cover to ponder what had happened.

Talbot shouted over to them. "Sorry you got caught up in this, Your Eminence. We were just flushing her out."

In one swift movement, her eyes never moving, Cordelia drew a pistol and fired. Sahar jerked back against the wall, letting go of Zion as a sharp pain cut through her neck. Her hands came up, feeling heavier than they had ever been, and she clutched weakly at the dart in her neck. And as her legs gave out she kept her gaze on the Novacorps agents, their every posture evoking memories and nightmares. "No..." She hit the ground.

"SAHAR!" she heard Sherriden's yell and her footsteps as she came rushing over. A hand touched her shoulder - a soft hand, a mother's touch... something dwelling only in ancestral memory.

"What the hell are you doing, Talbot?!" demanded the voice of the High Priest, his footsteps joining with those of the honour guard.

"A simple misunderstanding, Your Eminence. We had no idea you'd be in the combat zone. We received an Eximus reading at the labs and we had to act quickly."

"You should've told me, god dammit!"

"There wasn't time I'm afraid. But at least we were successful. The Messiah has been restored to us. Consider it our gift to you."

As Sahar's consciousness faded, she didn't hear anything further from the High Priest. But the rushing sound and commotion that followed was unmistakable. Dr Sherriden had seized Talbot by his suit and was shouting desperately into his face.

"TELL ME HE DOESN'T KNOW! TELL ME DAYNE DOESN'T KNOW YET!"

Sahar felt herself lifted towards the hover car, and the last thing she heard before she passed out was Dr Sherridan's anguished sob. There was no escaping it. Dayne knew and thereby the Church and all of Semile would know and be waiting for her. The Messiah's time in the wilderness had ended, and now she would be delivered into the hands of her demons.

"No... no my children... home is this and only this... a stage. A stage on which we demonstrate what we have learnt on our journeys. All else is but a meagre display, for home is the arena that is always calling. For there we were placed, beneath the canopy of stars, and we must make a showing of ourselves."​

Jerek's eyes turned from the armageddon curtain and watched as the hatch nearest Setem opened. Nephilim crewmen started to file out, many in their best naval dress uniforms, others in robes or civilian fatigues. The Merkabah tank that Jerek had taken to survey the aftermath had only housed a skeleton crew - twelve soldiers, most of them veterans or young zealots. The captain was a pale man, quiet and silver haired, gaunt from fasting. He wore a white robe as he proceeded to the viewing platform, standing between Jerek and the perching Setem. And then he was handed a scroll.

A victory ceremony? Jerek had never heard of such practices. He watched as the man unfurled the scroll and began reading in a quiet, austere voice.

"General Aldere, General Setem, I am tasked under Executive Order 97217 to present the thanks of the Semilian Nation. Through your valiance you have brought us victory against the savages and for this you have the blessing of the Messiah and her right hand, the High Priest Tobias."

Jerek's eyes lowered as the captain read on.

"By your deeds you have won a place in the hearts of future generations, and in the centuries to come they shall revere your names as rightly we do this day. Let it be known, to all here gathered, that your sins are expunged and your souls, though once tarnished, are now wiped clean and prepared for heaven, as are the souls of we, your escorts, who like rejoicing martyrs are happy to die by your side."

Jerek's eyes lifted, a realisation dawning as he watched the captain fold the scroll away and snap to attention, the rest of the crew doing likewise.

"The Messiah has been returned to us," spoke the captain's trembling voice as he lifted his hand to salute. "And her angels must return to Heaven."

Setem was the first to hear the low whine, building from the depths of the tank, gaining speed and pitch with every heartbeat. He shot to his feet, his hands lifting, "NO!"

The Merkabah was torn to a million shards by the molecular detonation. The fission bomb had been linked to the hover-drive, powered to critical mass and then ignited. For a mile around the water and floating bodies were slammed away and the spinning debris of the tank ignited like a thousand fireflies. The explosion could be seen from the shore, where the rest of the Nephilim Army watched, offering up a moment of silence before continuing on their journey home.

"In the days to come, my children, there will be resurrection and elixir. For the Messiah is among us now and her Ministry has begun. In time we shall behold the final battle and the worthy shall drink deeply of Her waters. But for now, this night, let us welcome all things home. Come pilgrims and prodigal sons. Come friends and adventurers. Come the sick and the weary. And tread with us the homeward path, by candlelight and warm embrace. And as all rivers flow into one, let us meet and exchange our stories - all that we have missed while we were apart."​

Thaddeus Dayne lowered his golden PDA, placing it on the table with the words 'Executive Order 97217' flashing scarlet. Through the window behind him, fireworks were lifting into the sky, followed by the cheers of the people that sailed up between the high rises. The great screen on the Tower of Solon was already showing doctored footage - a live video of the Messiah walking in from the desert, smiling and waving as a Nephilim honour guard escorted her. The very city seemed to shake with elation.

"It's done."

On the other side of the desk, a single tear broke from Rhiannon's eye. She had been here when the news arrived of Novacorps' capture of the Messiah. And she had watched as Dayne slowly enacted the Executive Order that would slaughter Jerek and Setem. With a few flourishes of the keypad he had brought an end to the war and cast away the lives of his generals. Beyond Semile the land was thick with blood and ash, bones and firestorms - all that the High Priest had permitted when he granted Dayne the power to wage this war.

"Save your tears," he whispered as he glanced at Rhiannon's face. "Next Sunday is the Ghosting Feast... six hundred and sixty six years since the Old World was destroyed. You can cry then, in front of the people, as the Messiah is presented."

Her voice cut through his, frail yet righteous, a woman's grief dispelling all things. "You could have made... such a beautiful... beautiful world. You could have done so much... with this power you have."

"So could you," the Minister retorted, his gaze meeting hers. There was no denial in his eyes. He understood exactly what she meant and it pained him to comprehend it so. And yet something greater held him in check. "You could have raged like the other 00s, gathered rebellions and roused the people. But instead you hid yourself away, and now you weep... you weep while human hearts forget what it is to grieve."

One of his metal hands reached past the PDA, creeping towards her own. "It is not the power we have Rhiannon, but the place we are given. You and I are no different - we are just... cancers to be cut away."

She pulled away from him, her breath catching in her throat as she asked him slowly. "Tell me, you son of a bitch, was there ever a time that you didn't have an answer for everything?"

The question seemed to shake him and he looked down momentarily, his body sinking a little as a memory struck. But it was only slight - barely noticeable. Dayne met her gaze again, sadness in his smile. "That time has passed."

The doors opened and a pair of Custodians marched in, taking up position either side of Rhiannon's chair. Dayne turned away and stood to watch the fireworks over the skyline. "You will return to your cell. Spend the next days in prayer and fasting and in listening to the joy that echoes from the streets."

Hands came onto Rhiannon's arms and for a moment she considered resisting, daring them to shoot her or throwing herself through a window - anything to avoid that cell again. But perhaps Dayne was right and they were not so different, for she felt her body go limp as they lifted her. She was being fed into a machine that she could not fight and could not measure. With despair in her bones she was escorted away, and Dayne was left alone.

He watched HKs criss-cross the sky with coloured smoke, their flightpaths looping triumphantly. The first of the Nephilim battlegroups were returning home and surely it would be a night of celebration.

But not for him. The Minister turned and crossed his penthouse office, opening the connecting doors to his bedroom.

And there, on one side of his bed, pierced with wires and dispensing needles, Eros slumbered beneath the golden covers. He chestnut hair was splayed across the pillows, a little of the colour returning her cheeks as the heart monitor chimed its lullaby. As he came to the foot of the bed her lids fluttered open, barely enough strength in her body to keep them up.

"Dayne...?"

He watched her lips move, her hand twitch to reach for him, her chest rise and fall with quickening breaths. She was beautiful and lost, like the city itself, and he remembered her taste, the smell of her hair, the sweetness of her skin.

His hand flexed and a blade extended from his palm, opening out in the crimson light. Closing his fingers around the knife, he stepped towards her and his other hand slammed the bedroom door shut.

"So gather forth, my children, and wrap yourselves in cloaks and fur. By candlelight recline and listen to the lullabies. For they are sounding, young ones, as they sound for all upon their voyage. We are homeward bound... for the last of all battles."

The preacher lowered his head, and all the candles were extinguished.​

END OF EPISODE SEVEN