Project Genesis - Episode 5: Family Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Subway Tunnels-

While all this unusual activity was going on far ahead in the tunnels, the Crusade group and Lars were still straining to hear the noises. Advancing more slowly than they had done before, they stopped periodically to make small sweeps. They had long ago left the mangled corpses behind them and didn't wish to become more of the same.

"Visual contact, in the water," piped one of the soldiers near the front. Looking over the edge of the platform, Lars also saw the bobbing figures of two men, both of which looked limp. The man with the technology pushed past him and took a look at his scanner before nodding and making some sort of sign to the captain.

"Do you recognize them?" Lars asked quietly, having never seen the two men before.

"Their identity is none of your business, lieutenant," the squad captain said irritatedly, "so be quiet and keep watch while we-" The cyborg suddenly staggered to the side as something long and hard slammed into him and kept on going. Other squad members quickly dodged the odd hanging object, but one of the members near the back still took a hit in the face and fell over.

Staring after the strange protrusion, Lars looked up higher on it and saw the outline of something that he was certain had only existed in books up until now, flying down the tunnel in the opposite direction that the squad was heading. "That...that's an alligator!" he exclaimed in shock and surprise, causing the other squadmates to hold their ears.

"Quiet down, you idiot!" hissed the captain in pain. "We're whispering for a reason!"

"Sorry."

"Captain?" whispered one of the other squad members. "Do we move on?"

"Two of you, stay behind and secure these men," the captain replied, already back in professional form. "The rest of you, with me." Lars couldn't help but notice that candidates for staying behind were remarkably swift in responding. The rest of the group, Lars included, continued on down the tunnels.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Unbeknownst to them, the target they were seeking after had already stopped once more following the little escapade with the alligator. This time their interruption was in the form of the local militia. They were approximately a mile out from the Underground City, so encountering a patrol was only to be expected. If Zion had seen the warning signs, perhaps he would have just charged on through them and kept running until his feet had fallen off.

"Hey there Zion!" spoke the militia's commander. "Catch anything good today?"

"Hi Victor," he replied. "I kinda lost my rod, actually."

"Well, that's no problem. Looks like you caught yourself a girl just fine without it." Giving an appraising glance across Sahar's ruined clothing, he added, "Heh, looks like you already had some fun with her too. Wish I coulda seen that."

"What? No! It's not-"

"Hey, a man's business is a man's business. Who am I to judge, right?" Turning again to look at Sahar, who was already beginning to favor him with a nasty look, the militiaman asked, "So, if you ain't underage, wanna stay with a real man?"

"Man? You aren't a man. You're just stupid," she replied. "You'd make a lousy toy."

Before Zion could stop him, Victor lunged forward and slapped Sahar across the cheek. "Nobody calls me names, bit-"

The words died in his throat, possibly because his windpipe had suddenly been crumbled inwards. Her face livid with anger, Sahar bent backwards both the man's legs and his upper torso, folding them into one another, before slapping him against the floor and the ceiling until the man was a fine paste. Staring in shock initially, the remaining militiamen raised their assorted guns and fired at this young woman, to which she responded by having their guns suddenly reverse themselves, resulting in them shooting themselves in the stomach or the arm or in the legs.

There was no play to Sahar's antics anymore. There was only anger, like a kid taking a tantrum, she was determined to break every single thing she could get her hands on.

Levitating one whimpering man in front of her face, Sahar lifted his pistol out of his side holster and hovered it in front of his face while screaming, "You're all idiots! All of you! You hurt me, you drag me, you take me from my mom, you never let me sit down and rest, and you know what? I'VE HAD IT! I'M FINISHED WITH ALL OF IT! I HATE YOU ALL, AND I'M GONNA KILL YOU!" At that last word, she discharged every single bullet in the pistol's magazine into the militiaman's skull and then threw him away into a wall.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Gunshots confirmed! All weapons armed!" Having sped up their approach, the remaining squad members (and Lars) were now close enough to hear the noises of the carnage up ahead. Lars was finding it hard to keep up, what with his leg, but he gritted his teeth and pressed on through the pain. Whatever was up ahead was no doubt going to have the home court advantage.

As they closed in on the source of the noise, the squad could see that there were working lights farther ahead. As they came further, something slid in front of their feet, which a quick glance showed to be the bottom half of a man. It was a testament to their training that they didn't vomit right here.

The closer they came, the clearer a certain noise became. It sounded familiar, but the acoustics of the tunnel made it rather unclear, but as they were a few hundred yards away from the sound's source, it suddenly took on its proper form: a horrible shrieking laugh, a higher pitch than Lars had ever heard. And the instant the noise became recognizable, the lights up ahead exploded in a bright flash which, amplified by the nightvision, was enough to turn the entire squad's vision temporarily white.

And in the midst of that whiteness, the head of a young woman loomed, her face spattered with blood. With a wide grin and eyes open as widely as one could imagine, she said four simple words, sufficient to make Lars almost paralyzed:

"I CAN SEE YOU!"

(Summary: The squad continues on into the subway, leaving behind two soldiers to contain 02 and Setem, who had beforehand been cooked into insensibility by Sahar increasing the temperature of the water. Meanwhile, Zion encounters one of the Underground City's militias, and the leader acts mean and disrespectful towards Sahar. This turns out to be a mistake.)

"Let not man be intoxicated with power or material resources: They cannot defeat the purpose of God."
Sura 105 (Al-Fil) 105:1-5 The Holy Qur‘an

“What the hell is that?” One of the Crusaders shouted.

“It has to be one of the 00s!” Another replied.

“No…It’s an omen. This is a cursed place!” Yet another said.

Sahar stepped forward. Her eyes glanced forward. Zion stepped back not knowing what was going on. She then looked at him. Zion knew damn well what she was about to do. He fled towards the safety of the Underground City; even though he preferred fighting along side his friends….

“Wrong…Hahahahah! All wrong! And you know what happens when you’re wrong?” She taunted back to them. There was nothing but dead silence.

“Oh. I guess not. Then let me show you!”

Just then a dark skinned man that Sahar hadn’t noticed came screaming towards here.

“I don’t who the hell you are, but I’ll be damned if I let such a monster escape!” The man shouted at her.

He then charged at her with a bayonet. Sahar was stunned, this was the first time that any soldier had shown no fear in his eyes. She was somewhat surprised by his actions. But still, he was not going to be spared by her. She dodge his first attack and then kicked in the knee. His body armor was enough for Sahar to feel recoil. Sensing another attack she jumped out of his way.

“Get back here! I will not hesitate to shoot!“

As he approached her, she lifted her hands to prepare to snap his neck. But in his enraged state, he grabbed her in the nick of time, which caused her to lose her footing. Now her hand was directed towards his chest. The next thing that she knew the man screamed in horror and fell to the ground. A large hole was in his back; his heart had been removed.

Examining her surroundings, Sahar frowned at the fact that there was not much to use for the offense around other than a few scampering pack rats. She then skipped towards a series of pillars that held the roof of the old subway system up.

japanese-sewer-1.jpg

“She has to be one of the rebels! Fire at all costs!” One of the higher ranking soldiers shouted.

“Oh, so you want to play rough. I am always open to that.”

There was another soldier that was now approaching her, who was more concerned with making his way out of the ruins of surrounding him. Whoever got in his way, it was their own damned fault if they were killed. Attempting to knock Sahar with his rifle, Sahar sent a piece of rubble straight in his way. The impact was not a powerful one, but it sent the soldier flying back.

“Well, that was a waste of time. Thanks for the practice though.”

The noise had attracted a few of the government soldiers. .

“So, now the real 'tango' starts.” Sahar muttered to herself.

One more soldier tried to attack her, but she shot him straight in the forehead.

Two more appeared out of the raising smoke, knocking Sahar to the ground.

“Commander! We pinned her down!”

Sahar smiled and phased right out of their grips. “So close, but don’t waste my time.”

She lifted the soldiers with her telekinesis and set them crashing into several more of the approaching hordes of the soldiers.

“Well, this is barely making me sweat. I thought that the Crusaders were supposed to be the best of the best!”

Sahar taunted at more of the approaching soldiers. Enraged the soldiers then opened fire on the pillars that concealed their foe. One of the Crusaders then fired a rocket towards the pillars. An explosion then followed causing a series of pillars to start collapsing one each other like a series of dominos. This caused all of the people to stop in their tracks. Thusly, the soldiers became even more displaced. Knowing that she couldn’t out maneuver them forever, she realized that roof was close to collapsing.

“This battle has reached its climax, time to mess things up a bit.”

Using all of the will power that she had, Sahar tossed the piece directly into the center of the roof causing more of the ceiling to fall to the ground.

“Better duck, boys.”

With that Sahar crossed her arms across her chest. She could hear the screams of the soldiers as they were crushed under the falling rubble.
Silence followed. She looked around and there was no one stirring. Not even that nice Zion boy she had just made friends with was in sight. She then looked up. There was now a large gapping hole in the ceiling. Wasting no time, she elevated herself up and was once again in the basking glow of the never sleeping city of Semile.

Zion lay besides what had once been a center pillar staring at the ceiling. After a few minutes of silence, he attempted to sit up. His world tilted and a sharp pain in his chest made him regret the attempt. He was used to pain, and had a high pain tolerance. Moving his right arm slowly he held it straight up, staring at his hand in front of his face. After a few seconds, he let it drop onto the floor beside him.

He then laughed to himself, “Damn, the Old Man really would have liked to meet Sahar!”

A few minutes later, a young woman walked straight into Sahar, “Hey watch it you filthy pitiable sack of shit!”

Sahar smiled as the girl said this. “Know what you mean.”

Within the blink of an eye, the woman’s neck was snapped. Looking at the body, the woman was wearing a military cut dress coat, a navy blue turtleneck, and some loose baggy pants. Thinking nothing of it, she stripped the clothing off the corpse and slipped the jacket and pants over her tattered clothing. Now armed with a gun and fresh clothing, Sahar made her way through the city….

[Summary: Sahar attacks Lar's soldiers hard and bloody. She spares almost no one that comes in her. One soldier then releases a rocket. Because of his error, a large section of the tunnels over head collapse causing more panic and mayhem. Sahar uses this as a means to escape and is now back on the surface of Semile.]

(Musical Ambience: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/305398)

Steiner, Lonestar, and Willis ran down an ancilliary tunnel, trying to find Setem. They had sent Sledge and Flak Jacket to find Heinrich. Three armed men deep in enemy territory, completely unaware that war had been declared on their home nation.

"The big issue I have..." Willis started as Steiner swung his 'sixty down a tunnel, checking for hostiles. "...is that I hope no one decides to shoot Setem Center Mass."

"An' why is that? Wouldn't it be a big load off our chests?" Lonestar asked, pulling rearguard with a shotgun. His MacMillan M-87ELR was slung over his shoulder. While the big, fifty caliber rifle was powerful the tight confines of the tunnels prevented him from fully using it's power. Better to use something more designed for tight quarters.

"He's got C-4 strapped to his chest. I'm carrying the detonator. It was part of the Old Man's conditions to Setem." Willis replied.

"Well shit... Ain't that a bitch..." Lonestar snarled.

"Regardless, he's our charge. We HAVE to get back to him." Steiner replied back.

---------------------------

COMSUBLANT, Norfolk...

"We just recieved this intel from the Albany. They're off the coast of Semile." a Lieutenant said to Rear Admiral MacAlister, sub fleet's commodore.

"Encrypted?" he asked of the officer.

"Aye sir..." the officer replied as he handed a transcript over. MacAlister pored over it.

"What are you doing here? Get this intel to the Old Man now!" the Admiral snarled at his subordinate. The Lieutenant saluted then charged out the door. The intel was in Admiral Baker's office within ten minutes. Ten minutes later the Commandant of Marines, Surface Fleet Admiral, Air Admiral, and MacAlister were in Baker's office.

"We have to accept this as a definite threat." Baker started, looking out the window at the ships at pierside.

"They've made threats like this before, sir..." Admiral Carlson, the air wing commander, said, trying to calm Baker down.

"The timing is too good... A Hawkeye saw that airship go down. The Topeka intercepted the radio chatter... Now this..."

"Sir, if you're about to authorize what I think you're going to authorize..." General Grey, the Commandant of Marines, was cut off as Baker turned to them.

"Cancel all leave. I want all hands at their respective commands. MacAlister, where are the Boomers*? We're going to need their Tridents...**"

-----------------------------

(OOC)
-Steiner, Lonestar, and Willis try to get back to Setem while Flak Jacket and Sledge try to get to Heinrich.
-Intel reaches Norfolk. Admiral Baker issues orders to prepare for war and asks about the location of their Boomer subs.
(/OOC)

*Boomer: Nickname for any type of Ballistic Missile submarine. The sub in this case is the Ohio class SSBN.
**Trident: Submarine launched nuclear missile.

"Revelation explains, and makes things clear: It gives the message of hope and mercy, and it warns against the snares of Evil… Learn from the fate of the people of Old! Learn from the warnings of your own nature: your very limbs and faculties, if misused against you. Repent ere it be too late. "
Sura 41 (Ha Min) C-209(xli1-32)The Holy Qur‘an

“Do you really think that those Norfolkian savages will unleash ancient war heads? There’s no way that they could still work after a thousand years.” Someone said while walking down the street with an comrade.

“Well, our cities are surrounded by the walls. My pappie always said they were designed to withstand even the heat of the sun!” The old man said.

“I’m sure they will. Our ancestors were wise enough to make these cities living fortresses.”

Sahar walked in the middle of the street, still looking distant from the world.

“Hello sister!” One of the old men said, “Are you going to join the war effort?”

Sahar looked at the old man dryly, “Why should I waste my powers on minor affairs for minor beings, such as yourselves?”

“By the Holy Hand of the Messiah. It’s your civic duty to fight for the Crusade!” One of the old men snarled at her.

She then felt a heavy leather glove covered hand touch her slender shoulder, “Miss, you better get out of here, you as well my Elder Brothers. With so many rebels out in the open, they could try to kidnap you.”

There was a young police officer standing behind with a gleaming face. He was a handsome young man, ever eager to witness the destruction of the number one enemy of the country. The Norfolkains was going to be removed!

Sahar in response formed her atrocious smile, “Then I better be careful, then again, so should you!” She then waved her arm and like her other victims, the police officer fell to the ground died. His neck had simply snapped by Sahar’s telekinetic powers.

“Well, since you won’t be needing these weapons anymore, I might as well use them.” Sahar grabbed the police officer’s pistol and stalked her way down the street.

A few more officers came running after her. Not wanting to waste anymore time, she simply sent them flying into the walls of the surrounding buildings.

"Too easy... Stop boring me."

One of the officers then aimed a pistol towards her, "Will you really kill a woman? It would go against your every morale fiber...."

She felt the fear growing in the man..

"As for me, I have no such feelings to hold me back." She fired her pistol, killing the officer. The others fled from Sahar, which made her laugh, before she walked on.

Her red eyes then peered on a massive building in front of her; the Church of Saint Meno’s.

”Hrmm, that is a place worthy for me.”

She moved forward. Inside of the Church there were still many protestors raging, while the priests were giving fiery speeches damning the Norfolkians as infidels.

Today around 11: 00 AM, a mysterious series of attacks were launched city wide by the accursed Rebels! One was at the known radical left wing homes of the traitors in Park Heights!. It can be assumed that the rebels hold no regard to the life of others, even some of their own. They shall burn in the Sixth Ring of Hell, were all heretics belong!”

National_Cathedral_washington.jpg

She slipped past the mob, as she was used to evading all the doctors of Nova Corps. Sahar wandered deeper into the relic room. She felt at home here, amongst the artifacts of the past. Looking around, antediluvian icons garnished the surrounding partitions. Most appeared to be embellish in gold and looked like their creators had put a lot of effort into making the human figures stand out amongst the dark hall. In the right hand corner, one golden statue caught her particular attention; it was a woman holding a young child.

“Funny, you appear to be the only female individual that I have seen in this entire room, well, besides myself…”

Behind the golden figure was a sign written in an ancient language, Sahar had some basic knowledge of the old religious texts from when Dr. Amy had been teaching her about the old societies.

“Fabia Meno?”

She then sat back down near the base of the large icon. Sahar then looked to her right. There stood a portly balding man in a black robe.

“Can I help you?” He asked, “Though, you really shouldn’t be back here.”

“I am not sure. I doubt there’s anyone left in this world that can.” She said.

“Child, that’s not true. God is always going to be there to help you.”

“God? What is the purpose of believing in a God when I am one? It’s far better to reign in hell, than serve in Heaven.” Sahar said.

“Child… What you are proposing is a mortal sin against the Lord.” The short balding priest responded.

“But, I am a god. I have the powers of life and death in my very hands.” Sahar responded.

“Child…We all have the choices of controlling another’s destiny. But that doesn’t mean you should act on it.”

“You don’t understand … A Post human God is a theoretical entity descended from or created by humans. They possess capabilities far surpassing that of their creators; making one appear godlike.

“But child, you are just a young woman. How could you view yourself as a god?”

“Simple. Humans have always desired to know, if a "god" really existed or not. It was an obsession that led them to study their surroundings and create new technologies to test that very notation. In the end, they failed to understand what God is... I have mastery over the world. I am last invention that mankind ever needed to make…”

The balding man priest was now sweating, “You…You…Really are a demon aren’t you?”

She then glanced back and gave him an evil eye. “It’s best that you run now Father. I have no desires to kill holy men.”

He did run from his post. The priest had a basic fundamental human fear, that of death.

“And this shall be were my Empire will be built.”

Demon_Eye_by_vinak.jpg

She watched from upon the highest tower of Saint Meno’s. What she saw was a city of God burning from her trail of destruction. Her red eyes ever glaring into the dominion she had granted for herself.

Summary: Sahar continues on her journey to nowhere. She spies a massive church and declares herself a Post Human God and that Semile shall be her new empire.

MINISTRY OF INFORMATION, NOON...

"Now?" Dayne answered as he rested his chin on Eros's shoulder, his hands roving beneath her Ministry dress. "Now we attend the War Cabinet. There is work to be done."

"I thought we already were at war with Norfolk," Eros answered, her tone icily neutral. "We have been for years."

"Your memory serves you correctly," Dayne's voice was muffled as he kissed her shoulder. "That is why there is work to do. To make it seem as if something has changed."

On the screen in front of Eros, the minutes of the meeting were displayed. The word 'doublethink' was highlighted in red by the computer's spellchecker. As Dayne kissed her, Eros moved the cursor over the word, clicked it, and added it to the dictionary.

THE TESLA, RHIANNON'S QUARTERS...

Altair opened the door of the small chamber, which had once been an examination room on the medical ship. He then stepped aside, waiting for Rhiannon to brush past him. But the woman hesitated in the doorway, blinking at something in the shadows of the opposite corner.

"Nearly finished, Sir," a voice called. Rhiannon stared harder and saw a tall, lanky fellow uncurling from beneath one of the pipes. He was scratching his head with a wrench, disturbing a messy tangle of grey-black hair. The mechanic stopped when he saw Rhiannon and tipped his head slightly. "Evening, Miss."

"We're still having problems with the plumbing," Altair remarked, stepping with Rhiannon into the room. "This is Maldini, one of my best grease-monkeys."

The mechanic shrugged awkwardly, his overalls too large for his body. "You can call me Joseph. Won't be long now, Miss."

He turned back to the pipes and ducked underneath them again, whistling tunelessly.

[SUMMARY: Dayne is planning to attend a meeting of the War Ministry to discuss the coming offensive. Meanwhile, one of Altair's mechanics is trying to fix the plumbing in her quarters.]

THE TESLA - Rhiannon's New Room!

Rhiannon watched the pipes for a moment, where the strange looking man had ducked under, before she finally tore her gaze away. Her arms crossed over her chest as she regarded the room with a curious stare. The first time she had been on the Tesla was to take the girl. Many of the areas still suffered from the water damaged caused by the fight she had been involved with against the girl's guard, but it seemed they were making quick work of the repairs. Still, the room was cold. Whether it was a real chill in the air, or just her own thoughts... she wasn't sure.

"I think... I would like to sleep." Rhiannon started softly, turning to Altair. "But in the morning, I would like to speak about things. Your mission. Would that be okay?" Her conversation with Ada was still lingering in her mind. The story Ada told gave more questions than it did answers. There was the temptation to ask Altair all of her questions right away, but somehow it felt that'd be asking him to think for her!

Down below in the subway tunnels, Zion was lying there, laughing to himself while he waited for his body to heal. It didn't take too long, of course, but he'd have preferred not getting hurt at all. Oh well, that was the price one paid for living. Pain was always a good indicator that you were still alive.

Zion finally stood when he looked down at the hole in his coat. Cool, now he could add another patch to it. He looked up at the hole in the ceiling and then looked around. It was too high for him to just jump but if he timed it just right, with some help from his abilities, he'd be able to scale it with ease. He looked back up at the sky.

He had to get up there, he had to leave, and he had to find Sahar. His mind said it was because she was cute and she was lots of fun. But there was something in the back of his mind that hinted it was something more. Zion shrugged that off and took a few steps back from the smaller piece of rubble beside him and stuck his earphones in. He turned his iPod on and snickered. It still worked like a charm. He just hoped the other iPod worked, too. It was the only one with those dead guys Sahar seemed to like. Mozart and Bach.

"Heh. Here I go." He tilted his head to one side, closed one eye, stuck his tongue out and looked at the small piece of rubble which was half his size. "Alright then, everyone." He began swaying from side to side like a cat about to pounce. "Hang on!" He sprinted forward to jump on the small rubble, jump on the slightly larger piece of rubble behind it, turn around and jump on the piece of rubble that was even larger than that. There was a large piece of rubble with a long flat surface at the top just several feet above and away from the edge of the hole.

Zion walked over to the far end, took a running start and then jumped one more time. He sailed through the air and his fingers caught the edge. Then it was a simple matter of climbing out. He stood and dusted himself off, turned to look back into the subway tunnel. Not a bad jump. He had to squint a bit at all the light up here and shielded his eyes.

Zion cracked a grin when he saw the bodies leading like a trail to the large church. He'd give Sahar credit. She sure knew how to make an impression. He stuck his hands into his pockets and began humming along to Disturbed's "Divide".

It took quite awhile to find the twists and turns of the church. It was big and it was pretty nice, too. It was by accident that he found himself on the roof (honestly he'd thought he was heading to the bathroom) and then he saw Sahar. "Are you here to use the bathroom, too?" He walked up to her only to sit down, on a wooden pillar knocked on its side. "It's a bit airy up here to do my private business but who am I to question people's architecture tastes."

[Summary: Zion goes above ground to find Sahar and follows her to the Church. He decides to sit and talk, thinking the roof is a strange place to find the bathroom.]

[size=-2]
Eros turned her head as Dayne's lips glided over her skin, exposing the slender arch of soft skin across the right sight of her neck. She could not shake the feeling that they were being watched, that at all times there was some unseen eye viewing their actions, judging. Her tone was more sharp than she felt, her almost childish awe for the man before her restricted her from embarrassment, the idea that no one would dare observe Thaddeus Dayne. Still, though, she could certainly be fired. Sent back to the family, what then?

Brushing a strand of hair from her eyes, she relaxed in the luxury of his touch for just a little longer, the expert caress of his hands soothed her nerves, yet excited... Eros bit her lip. There was a junior member outside the door, she could feel his anxiety, his hesitant submissiveness - he was to be knocking then? In a bold move, for her time was about to be cut short, Eros allowed herself to slip one slender, pale hand into Dayne's thick locks, luxuriating in the feel for half a second when the young attendant's resolve kicked in and there was a sharp rap at the door.

Forget that it happened, Dayne. You are a busy man, this work distracts you more every minute, and I am a diversion, don't think on my behavior. Don't send me away. Eros closed her eyes in a long, steady blink before standing as though to answer the door.

"Time to be going then, I suppose?"
[/size]

Altair nodded and held back a yawn, "I don't think I have any problems with that," after removing his sunglasses he smiled a sleepy smile. A quick stretch and he walked towards his room, "Sleep well, Rhiannon...you know what? I think I'm just going to call you Ria for short from now on, okay?"

Aver a wave Altair opened the door to his room and shut the door. He flopped down onto his bed and pushed the intercom button nearby, "Linette?"

"Yeah, Al?"

"I'm going to sleep. Wake me if something happens."

"Okay, Altair. Good night."

Altair pulled the covers over himself and slept for the first time since the Tesla attack.

The Tesla's Bridge

As Linette shut off her intercom Jason uncharacteristically frowned, "You didn't tell him about the show did you?" Linette shook her head.

"No. We'll tell him when he wakes up. He's got enough to worry about, and I'm sure he wouldn't let this phase him. I doubt he'll even consider it a problem once he's got the pieces he needs," after a brief pause Linette's twin could only nod in agreement. She reached up and turned Infinity and Beyond off. Jason's eyes narrowed into a glare.

"They'll pay for this. No one mocks what Altair...what Dad...what everyone in Infinity sacrificed to make this nation a better place," Linette's lips curled into a smirk.

"It's just going to make revenge all the sweeter, Jason. Make it all the sweeter."

"Revenge on the Government? Or on 04?"

"Both."

"...You can be pretty scary, Sis."

"Not nearly as scary as Altair when he wants to be."

[Summary: Altair goes to bed. Jason and Linette briefly talk about the impacts of Infinity and Beyond. Jason is angered, but Linette assures him it'll make revenge all the better.]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8EB-hUUzsE"]YouTube- Cowboy Bebop Vitamineless - Black Coffee (Bonus Track)[/ame]

Ada remained standing near the gunship even after Rhi had been escorted away.

Ada whipped the sweat off her brow. Her other hand wa typing feverishly at the old keyboard as she retrieved another cigarette to smoke.

"Jerry, does this relic got satellite?" She said as she started rebooting the old gunship’s computer grids.

"Yes," Jerry confirmed. "Speed isn't so great compared to what you rich-ass snobs get, though."

"That's just fine. I can‘t keep wasting my time here. At this rate Alturd isn‘t going anywhere, any time soon and I bet the government hasn‘t found their missing Messiah. I figure, I find her, hand her back over to Nova Corps, Talbot grants me my freedom and viola no more work for me. You know side missions bore me."

Ada logged into the NovaCorp database under her name using the mainframe of the gunship. She didn’t' care if Altair found out. Her ass would be out of here in a few minutes.

"It’s a USB." Jerry mentioned

"Jesus Kriest! Why the hell are they still using technology older than dirt? Well, it‘s a good thing old leftie has some uses." Ada muttered to herself.

Ada then opened a USB port from her mechanical left arm and pulled out a reversible cord, plugging one end into the computer. She uploaded the program and she retracted the cord and made she made her way unto the gunship itself.

“What did you just do Mistress?” Jerry asked.

“Set the coordinates back to HQ. Sent an encrypted message to the Boss saying the mission had to be aborted because of weather conditions. I also informed him that you are staying behind to track down a possible lead on 01. I know, he puts waaaaay too much trust into me.” Ada said.

She was once again scanning the computer. Given the dimensions of the mother airship, a basic scanning computer was a necessity to help guide the gunship into berth. Now, though, with some simple algorithmic changes into its subroutines, it was Ada’s personal wide-range sensor array.

"And what am I supposed to do?" Jerry asked.

"Spy on the girl that I just talked too, duh. Steal a lock of her hair or something and we can just say we scalped her. Anywoo, you know where to find me!"

The image that came up on the tiny monitor was crude—only a wireframe topographic layout—but it was enough.

“There we are,” she breathed.

With the coordinates and bearing in mind, Ada strapped herself into the cockpit, and ran the takeoff protocols. She was not much of a pilot, but the gunship was thankfully equipped with a basic guidance computer for the uninitiated. A look at the weapons systems revealed that the guidance computer was the only thing it was equipped with; the ammunition drums for the dual Gatling guns as well as the missile payload had been removed a few hours ago for inspection. The gunship was completely unarmed.

“Oh sure, they built this piece of crap for defense of Genesis’ flagship but they remove all the weapons. Reaaaaaaaaaaaaal smart,” She muttered to herself.

Okay, no problem. Just make sure that I avoid air patrolled areas. Bah, who am I kidding? Hopefully the fat bitch called Lady Luck will stay with me. She thought more calmly than she felt. This was made apparent when her stomach lurched as the gunship maneuvered out of the docking bay, dumping itself out into airspace. The roar of the engines was nearly deafening. After all, gunships did not need silent systems, only big guns.

“Hrmm, not idiomatic enough for me.” She said to herself. Digging through one of her ammo pouches, she found a large grenade. “Yeah…I like this.” She then opened a side hatch that acted as grenade launcher. Firing the weapon out of the launcher, she fired it at one of the hanger walls. A small explosion occurred causing several small mechanic droids to go scattering around trying to repair their now broken tools.

“So long, suckers!” She shouted.

Ada then programmed the gunship’s course into guidance computer and settled in for the ride. She did not dare to breathe easily, though. Escaping was easier than she thought, but the next few hours of her life would slowly turn into an entirely other matter….

"I am honored to be in your presence High Priest," Talbot said.

"As you know, there are some matters I find highly distressing about your company and how you don't inform me or my government on anything." Tobias said.

"Surely, those matters can wait just a little bit longer Celebrant Havinrah. Genesis is the greatest asset to the community." Talbot responded.

"No, David. I want these matters dealt with as swiftly and smoothly as possible. If Genesis is indeed in danger, I as the Head of the Faith cannot sit around and wait. My people need me, and they need their Messiah."

Looking to Mr. Talbot, he saw a bit of Dayne in him, or any corrupted man for that matter. Men, who made the women and children of this world, feel so low. They had to speak respectfully to their superiors or else they would be punished.

"No worries, my Lord. The 00s are very powerful beings. Angels of Semile, if you will. Sahar was labelled as Infinity because she is the best of the best."

"Yet, you don't tell me why she needed those medications." Tobias responded.

"That's Dr. Sherriden's specialty. I know that my visit here is two-folded. First is to question my own loyalty.I served my nation for many years as a captain in the Army. Remember, both of our fathers designed the Genesis Project together. We can say this is simply an extension of that pact."

One of Tobais' servants than came in and poured the two gentlemen some wine.

“Let us make a toast, for the future, that no enemies will stand in our way.” He said as Tobias stared at the CEO. He then lifted up his own glass.

Working with David might prove to be a good move for him and his people. But how would Dayne react if he found out that Tobias was going against him like that. Especially that his life was at risk though Tobias still felt against killing him and the rebels. It just didn’t feel right to him.

Just the the doors of his office opened. What Dr. Sherriden hadn't expected to see in the High Priests were two of the biggest figures in all of Semile in the same room. In the center was Tobias, flanking him on the right David Talbot, the "boss" himself.

"Dr. Sherriden please sit down. Jerek will be in shortly. We have much to discuss." Tobias then said.

Jason looked at the console sitting on the desk and tapped at the keys, "Looks like Altair's old flame just took off," Linette shrugged.

"Altair told us to expect it. Did she leave her droid here?"

"Yup. Sure as shit. He really does know her well. She...also sent out coordinates! Goddammit, she probably just compromised our position! That bit-"

"Relax Jason. Take it from a woman. A girl like Ada isn't about to compromise the life of someone she trusted. When trust grows to the level that you're sleeping with the leader of a rebellion, that's not a trust you'd betray. Especially if you still like him."

"...Altair slept with her?" Jason's voice was humorously dumbfounded, "And she still likes him?"

"If I had to guess I'd say so. So don't worry. Ada wouldn't put Altair at risk like that. Besides. Ada works for Talbot officially. The information won't reach Dayne. I'll see to that," Linette tapped at the keys of her computer and smirked, "There we are. The report should have reached Nova Corps by now. It wouldn't be unusual for a transmission to them to just cut off. Dayne won't be any the wiser. Besides, all the crusaders need to go fight their war," Linette sighed and kicked up her legs on the table beside her, "There's not enough man power to go after an odd transmission. God wants the Crusaders on the front line after all!" Linette laughed softly.

[Summary: Jason and Linette discuss Ada's sudden departure. Linette is confident that Ada didn't do anything to endanger Altair or the Tesla. To be safe she tweaks a few things to make sure they stay under the crusaders' radar, confident they wouldn't be bothered to look at an odd signal with the war going on anyway.]

TESLA, RHIANNON'S QUARTERS...

"Won't be a moment, Miss," said the voice from the beneath the pipes, followed by the sound of wrench on metal. "These Tanhauser steam-valves never were compatible with the old ten-eighties. You always lose pressure in the third quarter of the purge-cycle... which is right before you folks are needing your morning showers."

Rhiannon grunted and sat on the edge of her bed, rubbing her arms against the cold. "Thanks. You been with Altaire long?"

"Oh sure," Maldini replied, his legs sticking out from beneath the main pipes. "Me and the boys were part of a crew up at the Selby Plant. You remember that? The Selby Strikes - 'bout a day before the Infinity Rebellion? Old Altaire was just a kid back then - but he was the right kid in the right place at the right time. You know what I mean?"

Rhiannon grunted again, testing the springs on her mattress, feeling the lumps and rat-holes.

"Anyway, seems the kid had a use for me. D'you know, Miss, there's only seven Class 4 Pneumatic-Technicians in all of Semile..."

Rhiannon couldn't see the look that then crossed Joseph Maldini's face.

"I used to think that made me special."

There was a distant sound, like the popping of a bubble, and the Tesla shook slightly as Ada blew her way out of the forward hanger. Rhiannon clutched the edge of the bed. "What the hell was that?"

"Probably another blow-out in the secondaries," Maldini answered, pulling his toolbox under the pipes and searching for more tools. "Hey Miss, I know this is a bit out of line... but would you mind holding this gasket for me? I'd be much obliged."

[SUMMARY: Maldini makes small-talk as he fixes Rhiannon's plumbing.]

In Tobias' Offices
Amy Sherriden warily entered the room. Her intentions had been to speak with Tobias, but with Talbot here, that would complicate things.

Why was he here?

Amy moved to take a seat, Burying her thoughts for the time being. A meeting with Talbot AND Jerek. This was going to be an odd conversation.

"Tobias. Dr. Talbot. Did you see what was on the television this morning? About the Tesla? We need to discuss it and Sahar."

Rhiannon's Room on the Tesla
Rhiannon didn't understand much of what the guy was talking about, but his casual brush-off of the loud boom let her relax. Just a bit. Chewing on the inside of her cheek, she moved away from the bed to kneel next to the pipes and take the gasket he handed out to her. She balanced it back and forth between her hands.

"Do you like to work here? For these people?" she asked, leaning down to see if she could take a peek under the pipes and see exactly what he was doing. Maybe she would see what a 'pneumatic' was. "What is Infinity? What are they all rebelling against? Some others said they want to change the world, but I'm not so sure it's going well." The newscasts came to mind again. As well as the Little Girl Messiah.

"Do you think that little girl is important?"

"Altaire sure seems to think so, Maam," Joseph mumbled back, holding a tool in his mouth as he spoke. "As for Infinity...well... heck, we've all got our reasons. Most o' the boys here are Vandoosans - living on the edge y'see? It's easy to rebel when you ain't got no money and you ain't registered. Cos what else is there to do, right? Altaire makes us feel part o' something, and like my pop used to say: that's a something in a whole heap o' nothing."

He reached between them, rummaging for something else in his toolbox. "Sorry Miss, but you mind coming in under here? See, I need to hold the gasket over the fourth couplet and therma-set it. And well, I ain't got the money to pay for a third arm yet!"

He chuckled and gestured to the floor next to him, giving it a courteous wipe to clean away most of the dust.

"I wanted that feeling too." she confessed. Rhiannon looked pretty doubtful about fitting under there, but she twisted her body a bit to try and crawl under. "Having a purpose, I mean. Part of something? But then I was doing things I wasn't fond of. Don't think I want to do that again."

Once she had crawled under, Rhiannon shuffled the gasket in her hands, trying to figure out where she was supposed to put it. Dust underneath had her twitching her nose and attempting not to sneeze - which turned out to be a failed prospect when she turned head and did it anyway! She rubbed her nose, then frowned at the dark smudges on her hands. Greasy spots that were probably on her face now.

"Are you really going to get a third arm? Where would you put it?"

"Bless you. And that was just a joke, Maam."

Maldini scratched his dust-grey hair then shifted, taking the gasket from Rhiannon, positioning it on the pipe, then prompting her to hold it there.

"Nah, I never saw the point of those cybernetics. Always breaking down, you see? Even the new ones. Hell, I once did a repair job for Mister Thaddeus Dayne himself when his elbow joint got fried."

Once again there was a pause, a shadow seeming to pass over the mechanic. Rhiannon saw his smile falter as he added, "Should'a stuck the bastard there and then..."

The silence lasted for a moment, before Maldini smiled again and shrugged. "Anyway Miss, don't you be fretting. Whole damn world's lost right now, so it's no wonder you feel the same."

He reached between them again, fetching another tool from his box. "Okey dokey. Hold still now. Just need to therma-set the ten-eighty..."

Oh. A joke! Rhiannon held up the gasket in position, chewing on the inside of her cheek again. He mentioned Thaddeus Dayne and his expression shifted. Thaddeus Dayne was the man that had given the speech about the events on the Tesla and the importance of their Messiah. She didn't blame him for looking odd about it. Thinking about the man was leaving a churn in her stomach too.

"He's an important person, isn't he? Thaddeus Dayne? I saw him do a speech today. It was... was kind of disturbing. He wants to protect the city, but I dunno. There were videos of the wrecked Tesla and lots of dead people, but I don't remember seeing any of those people on board. ...but I guess I wasn't there when Infinity took part of the ship either." Part of her still wondered if the images were true. She had left with the Brotherhood guys when they took that woman and the girl. She never saw what happened afterwords.

Another pained expression crossed the mechanic's face, though it may have merely been concentration, as Maldini was fusing the gasket with his thermal-welder and taking care to avoid Rhiannon's fingers.

"That's been our lot from the start, Miss. Government's peddling all kindsa lies about us. Every day they're claiming we raped some girl or killed some kid, and they got the televisions and the radios, you see? Plus the voice o' God 'imself. Ain't much the common folks o' Semile can do to argue with that."

He put down the welder and picked up his wrench again, tightening some sockets with sharp and violent twists. Rhiannon could sense the anger bubbling beneath the surface.

"The things I could tell you, Maam, 'bout what the Church's done. Ain't no man nor woman free from their spies and their Thought Police. And nothin's sacred neither. Nothin' at all."

He stopped turning and stared at the pipe.

"If they want ya... they'll find a way."

Again, Maldini seemed to remember himself and flashed another smile Rhiannon's way. "So you was on the Tesla, Maam? I heard Altair saved a few folks before we got out. You thinking of joinin' the cause?"

Rhiannon nodded slowly. This time it was her turn to look distracted. With the gasket all fixed, she had nothing to do with her hands. They were now fussing with the hem of her shirt.

"I was on the Tesla. But... I was there to take the little girl, just like everybody else. I got her and her mother too." A small hiss of breath escaped her. The woman had been so protective of the girl, the girl equally so about her mother. None of the goons that helped return them to the Brotherhood had been able to keep her under control.

"I don't know if getting her is the right thing to do anymore." Rhiannon shrugged softly. "I guess it's true for here too? If they want you, they'll find a way?

Status
Not open for further replies.