Project: Einherjar (OOC/Characters)

Oh. I imagine Einherjar would take quite a bit of time to repair/check up right? They are giant paragons of humanity's development. How long would it take to do the normal task of repair from moderate (and severe) damage? And how long would it take to add additions like Manipulators so the pilots can get Guana tech? Oh and fuel. How long can Einherjars go out into battle for before needed to come back to get fuel?

Well, most of all that would actually be at the speed of plot, but if we wanted real numbers, it'd probably be days to weeks to do repairs depending on the severity of the damage and availability of replacement parts. Adding some smaller manipulator arms and something for specimen containment wouldn't take much time at all. It's the sort of thing that in hindsight should be there already. (And Einherjar do have hands, although I assume we mean a smaller set of manipulator arms that might be simpler but are designed for finer work on a smaller scale.)

Fuel is definitely a sort of "What the plot demands" issue, and could be measured a couple different ways. I'd say they'd have a good several hours of operating time before needing to return and resupply, although the operational range might be more important sometimes. Go far enough from Asgard and you just won't be able to turn around and get back. It's a practical concern, because there's only so much reaction mass one can carry with them in space, so run that low enough and you might not be able to get back very easily. But that's what recovery craft are for.

Reactions: 2 people
Ah thanks! Just figured I should ask. Ah speed of plot truly you are a wondrous thing.

Hurm, I don't think I'll be around today on the last day of the weekend, sorreh

Well, then take solace you will be spared when the Guana destroy all human life! Or something. *Shrug* Do what you need to do.

There will be pleeeenty of Guana to exterminate, so don't worry about missing a day or two!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Guana Menace will be defeated for the glory of humanity. Praises to Asgard.

Now I'm hoping Yggdrasil has a really impressive Propaganda/Morale Division, plastering all sorts of videos and posters.

Seems like we've slowed to a crawl. I'm kind of out of things to say as well.

Maybe it's time to move to another scene?

Yeah, probably for the best. I could kick off the inevitable Gauna attack, unless you guys would rather do a little training, daily life, and such.

Death to the Guana! Humanity shall thrive... and eventually conquer their Empire! Oooor something...

I need you pilots to get my Guana samples! FOR SCIENCE!!!

I'm good either way honestly! Although would the gauna attack happen -before- any kind of training? That'd be...interesting for Chloe, to say the least.

It is a learning experience. Just think of the scientific knowledge you'll gleam...

Name: Quinn C. Donovan
Callsign: Dainn

Appearance:
Hei1.PNG

Background:
Quinn Donovan wasn't exactly born to greatness, in fact considering he was born in the lower slums of Svartalfheim which is already a fairly rundown section of Asgard, his odds for survival beyond the age of 6 were fairly low. He did live past 6 however, though whether it was by fortune or misfortune, the young child was enrolled by his parents into an Asgardian Military program in an attempt to give him a chance at a better life. The life he got however was strict and brutal, being forced to work himself to the bone as he was honed into a fine-tuned killing machine to be used against not only the Guana threat, but any threat to Asgardian society. By the time he was 18, Quinn was already being deployed on covert missions within Asgard's nine boarders, now fully trained to hunt down and kill the targets he was assigned as a member of the mobile assault unit "Gungnir".

During his time with Gungnir, he not only fine tuned his skill at killing, but found an odd hobby in tinkering with old machines and weapons, finding himself more easily able to relate to the cold machinery than he was a living person; after all, anyone around him could just as easily become a target at a moment's notice. After many successful missions and countless enemies of the colony dead by his hand, Quinn was promoted to the rank of Einherjar pilot, a position he readily accepted on behalf of his unit. He is the tip of Odin's Spear, the judgment of the All-Father laid bare upon Asgard's enemies, and he is here to deliver swift justice in the name of its citizens.

Personality: Quinn is a cold, silent sort of individual, more apt to stand at the back of a room and silently observe than he is to initiate actual conversation with people. Years and years of military conditioning have left him calculating and ruthless in the face of his enemies, but incredibly loyal to Asgard and its citizens so long as they haven't been branded traitors of the colony. He tends to be rather straightforward and blunt when addressed, only responding when he needs to and often ignoring anyone he considers a distraction to what he's doing, though someone persistent could likely get him to talk.

Behind the cold mask is a generally kind and caring individual, a person with a general love for Asgard and is willing to put his body and soul on the line in its defense. In the presence of someone he could tentatively call a friend, he would be rather awkward with conversation and almost shy in comparison to his usual aloof attitude, though any discussion about technology or mechanics would get him far more talkative, perhaps even a little enthusiastic. Or about as enthusiastic as Quinn is capable of at least.

Einherjar sheet -

Unit number:
Ex-221
Unit name: Ratatoskr
Special features:
- Enhanced Speed Boosters: Ratatoskr has several speed boosters placed strategically around its person, allowing it to not only make it even faster than its small frame already allowed, but to instantaneously change its direction mid-flight, giving it unparalleled maneuverability.

- Streamlined Lightweight Frame:
This unit has been outfitted with a hyper-aerodynamic frame that allows for minimal air resistance while moving, allowing it to take advantage of its speed boosters at the cost of making it a very vulnerable target if caught.

- EXcEL Class Energy Armor: Due to its fragile nature, the Ratatoskr was outfitted with an shield generator which encases its frame in a thin, but durable skin of condensed energy. This allows the unit to endure several heavy blows while restricting none of its movements, but constant use can lead to an overheating of the Ratatoskr's core before the shield has even depleted.

Equipment:

MPSMG-12 "Gram" - A standard model, energy based sub machine gun which fires compressed bolts of raw energy at high speeds. Each energy core can produce roughly 300 bolts at a rate of 12 bolts per every second and a half. The drawback is that its accuracy only remains optimal when the target is a few feet in front of you, but considering each bolt can easily punch through double reinforced steel on its own power, anything that close to the assaulting unit should be easily torn to shreds before it has a chance to become a threat.

CAES-III "Tyrfing" - The Tyrfing is a set of plasma blades specifically custom made for the Ratatoskr. The blade is attached at the elbow of either arm and reaches roughly half the unit's arm length outwards; the catch is that the blade can retract and resurface out of a slot near the Ratatoskr's wrists, allowing either blade to strike from the front or the side, depending on the situation. Each blade is forged from a poly-carbonate titanium with the cutting edge being composed of copper-tungsten hybrid which is heated up to 3,000 °F. While this might be seen as old fashioned next to newer model energy blades, the Tyrfing takes up only a third of the typical energy consumption in comparison, making it much less taxing to use; as well, most energy shields aren't equipped to deal as efficiently with heated metal as they are energy based weaponry, allowing it more easily inflict its intended damage.

Well, it could. Either way, I'll probably be going to sleep in a bit, so there will be some time before I shake things up. I'll probably give you guys some time to train, if you like that idea. Definitely time to move on from the current scene and spend time doing other things, though.

Hm, eh, I'd probably be doing most of my Lab Stuff "Off-screen" or something... -probably-. But ah, the Pilots I dunno. *Shrug* Either way, sleep well.

Yeah, probably for the best. I could kick off the inevitable Gauna attack, unless you guys would rather do a little training, daily life, and such.
Early Guana attack is a classic, can't argue with that.

I'm not really sure what the people who aren't Chloe would get out of training, though.

Name: Isaac Hersh
Callsign: --
Appearance:
Benny.003-1xd2r49.jpg

Background: Being an American citizen with a patriotic duty and no money to go to college, Isaac joined the US Airforce once he was out of high school. Using the military's money, he went to college for information technology and ended up working said field throughout his years in the airforce. Flying screaming metal deathtraps was for people with death wishes and lunatics, anyways. Deciding he didn't want to be Government property anymore, he quit the Airforce and began looking for another job. Some military contacts were able to set him up with one working on that Asgard space station, working server and computer maintenance.
Personality: Isaac is a laid back fellow, taking his job with as much interest that a cat gives to the hand that feeds it. This is evident by the fact that he dresses like it's casual Friday, every single day. It's not like the none IT guys knew what the hell he was doing anyways. He just decided that putting in 100% effort all the time forever was too much work after he left the military. His main excuse is that he at least gets the job done, for the most part. Even if he likes to spend his time bugging other people on Asgard.

Reactions: 5 people
Character Sheet
Name: Jazz Jones AKA Professor Jones

Job: Scientist/Mechanic

Appearance:
Old-Joseph-994x469.jpg

Background:

Professor Jones was a man born on Earth, born before humans made first contact with alien life. He lead a humble life. In his childhood, Jones figured out he wanted to become an astronomer, hoping that he could use the information to help people colonize the stars and seek out life on other planets as well as a life on other planets. He dreamed that he could retire to a terraformed Mars and live out the rest of his days watching the Martian sunset.

Later in life, Jones discovered performance and learned that he really enjoyed dancing and singing. He didn't know how to make his passion for science and his passion for dance meet, but he knew he had to find a way. In his final year of high school, Jones successfully built and programmed a simple dancing robot. In college, he pursued a degree in STEM. Throughout Jones' career, he received several degrees ranging from astronomy to engineering to environmental science.

With his prestige, Jones eventually found work as one of the head scientists at Yggdrasil. He had been working at the company for a fairly long time, mainly developing Einherjar as well as coming up with new technology to implement onto the machines. In addition, he does research on Guana, not only in combating them but also in regards to their language and culture; up to trying to deduce a reason for their aggression.

Personality: For an old man, Jones is regarded as being strangely hyper-active. As a scientist, Jones is as intelligent as he is eccentric. Though he may not exactly be considered a genius, Jones is considered as being smart, and he is definitely qualified. Science.

Einherjar Sheet
Unit number: 86 (Unofficial)

Unit name: Elsa

Description: An Einherjar created by Professor Jones himself as a means of testing Yggdrasil's technology and resources. Its appearance is very sleek and humanoid, obviously designed for speed, and put into it the least amount of parts possible.

Special features:
Enhanced Nerve System - A system connected to the Einherjar which enhances the movements and reflexes of the pilot by sending shock waves via the same cables the nerve system is connected to. To accommodate for the pilot's enhanced sense's, the Einherjar's systems themselves are increased in order to keep up. This technology is experimental and needs much work to actually make effective on the battlefield.

Enhanced Motion - To keep up with the increased output of Unit 86's pilot, the mecha is capable of making even quicker and more precise movements compared to other Einherjar. In addition, 86 can isolate specific parts of its body so that only those parts move as long as the pilot is capable of such things. 86 is also much more flexible in its range of motion, allowing it to squeeze through tighter spaces among other things flexibility entails.

Equipment:
Golden Nails - Precision laser beams fitted to the tips of the Einherjar's fingers. It is a close ranged weapon, designed to work in short bursts. Though it requires much focus and precision, the outcome of such a weapon is almost always deadly when it needs to be. Because of the limited battery on Unit 86, it is not practical to use this weapon in anything more than short bursts.

Reactions: 4 people
Well, before I throw some combat right at everyone, I have some book-keeping to do here.

@ReaperOfFlames, I'm concerned that Quinn may not mesh well with the other characters so far. The quiet, brooding type who doesn't like to say much might end up easily ignored or otherwise left out. I also think that your mecha is a little too fancy with the high-tech solutions compared to the others. While there is some small precedent for energy shields, they probably wouldn't be nearly as advanced as Ratatoskr's. Also, the sheer rapid mobility on the unit might end up a potential issue, but that's more for things I'll be rambling about below.

@FutureFarmer, Isaac looks like he'll work out just fine, and we do need more non-pilot characters, so he's approved.

@DaCageFighter, Dr. Jones seems like a pretty cool guy, and is in. I'm not sure if you want him to be a full-time pilot or not, so we might need to work something out there. His mecha looks like it'd be very good at collecting Gauna bits, what with its focus on precision and cutting weapon. Looks like we've got a bit of a science team now.

And now, for a few world-building questions that occurred to me:

1. Do we want to touch a little upon Real Science (in our game about giant space robots fighting giant space monsters made of regenerating meat)?

Primarily, it'd just be some very cursory attention to some of the concerns of fighting and operating in space. For example: You don't need constant thrust to maintain velocity, once you get going you'll remain in motion in the same direction until you use more thrust to change it. Mecha can easily spin around to, say, fly past something and continue attacking before they'd need to make another burn to stay nearby. There'd be the general fuel concern that (will overall be glossed over) it takes just as much reaction mass (and force) as got you going to get you stopped again, and twice as much to turn around (well, assuming one-dimensional motion).

2. Pilot suits are going to be a thing soon, so I might as well poll you guys on the general design approach. Would you prefer something closer to real-world space-suits, which would be a bit bulkier, with several layers and so-on, or something closer to the typical skintight suits seen all over anime? Skin tight suits are, surprisingly, NOT a silly idea, as applying mechanical pressure will keep the body pressurized just fine in space; you'd still have some for of helmet and air supply, of course.

1. Do we want to touch a little upon Real Science (in our game about giant space robots fighting giant space monsters made of regenerating meat)?

Primarily, it'd just be some very cursory attention to some of the concerns of fighting and operating in space. For example: You don't need constant thrust to maintain velocity, once you get going you'll remain in motion in the same direction until you use more thrust to change it. Mecha can easily spin around to, say, fly past something and continue attacking before they'd need to make another burn to stay nearby. There'd be the general fuel concern that (will overall be glossed over) it takes just as much reaction mass (and force) as got you going to get you stopped again, and twice as much to turn around (well, assuming one-dimensional motion).

I'd prefer glossing over this, or at least assuming that our mecha automatically handles stopping when we want to (activating thrusters automatically, etc). It could be nice to have this around as a possible tactic, but I don't think dealing with it constantly would be all that fun, especially in melee combat. So, how about something like... We assume the mecha's computers handle this kind of movement for us (and thus handwave/gloss over it) most of the time, but leave it as an option for pilots to engage manual mode if they want to take advantage of this.

2. Pilot suits are going to be a thing soon, so I might as well poll you guys on the general design approach. Would you prefer something closer to real-world space-suits, which would be a bit bulkier, with several layers and so-on, or something closer to the typical skintight suits seen all over anime? Skin tight suits are, surprisingly, NOT a silly idea, as applying mechanical pressure will keep the body pressurized just fine in space; you'd still have some for of helmet and air supply, of course.

I'd prefer skintight anime suits.