Private School Love. (Closed to Juneberry)

Today, the assignment was to draw a portrait of someone important to you.
They had two weeks to do it.

Atropa's first thoughts were of her mother, her grandma.
But she really wanted to be original, and she wanted to
make sure that this person really changed her, or helped her in some way.

She had two weeks to do it, so she'd figure it out.
When class was over, she walked to the music class to meet Sayaku.
She stood right outside, holding her bag and looking shyly down
as kids passed by in the hall.

As class ended, Sayaku was stopped only for a moment by one of his classmates- one who was also in his band outside school. "Seriously, Sayaku, you cut it close today. You were really out of it, too."

"It was nothing big. I was just a bit zoned out. I'm fine."

"You sure, dude? You gonna be okay for band practice?" Sayaku merely waved him off with a nod before heading out of the classroom. His friend went the opposite direction and didn't seem to notice Atropa, while Sayaku noticed and smiled easily. "Did art go okay? You seemed pretty excited for it, Atropa. Hopefully it met your expectations."

Atropa's smile grew when she spotted him.
"Art was wonderful! Thank you!"
She blushed and put her bag on her back.

"Um, when is it time for home?"
She asked, looking around.
It seemed like kids were leaving.

Sayaku looked around, surprised. "Now that you mention it...People seem to be leaving already. And that guy normally has the same class as me after music..." Surprised, he pulled his phone out from his pocket, dialing his house after realizing he'd left his planner at home. "Hey, sis? Yeah, can you remind me...Was today a part day for some reason?"

He waited for a few moments before getting a response. "Oh, so it was. Thanks sis." Hanging up, he turned to Atropa with a goofy, nervous grin. "It was a part day today, and I totally forgot. Now I just feel dumb. We go home now because of it." He'd had his sister read to him his planner. Band practice wasn't for a few more hours, since it was at their usual time, which was after school normally ended. "Man, I wish I'd remembered...Hey, you want me to show you around town a bit? I have a couple hours to kill before band practice- might as well use them well, right?"

Atropa smiled up at him.
"I would love that, if you really don't mind."
She tugged on her uniform.
"Um, I live close by, do you think we could stop by so I can change?"
She asked, looking down at the floor.

"I don't want my uniform to get dirty."

Sayaku chuckled at her gentle request, smiling easily. "Sure, but I don't know where that particularly is...So either you need to tell me, or show me."

As she tugged at her uniform, he looked at his own- it was a bit worn out, and as he looked at it, he started to feel a bit stiff, causing him to tug his tie looser again. "I don't blame you for wanting to change either way. The uniform can feel stuffy after a while."

Atropa smiled at him.
"I live right around the block. I'll lead."

She heard his comment about the uniform and frowned.
"Oh- if you want to change too, you can, you know, we can go by your house."
She smiled sweetly.

"Eh, we'll see after you change. Might be a good idea I do, but I'll decide while I wait." He laughed a bit, adding, "If we go to my place, I'll get caught up checking on my sister." Which was a valid note. Sayaku did actually understand his sister complex at times. He was very protective by nature, and his sister's health was very poor- thus, he tended to be very finicky when she was concerned. "Though, she might like meeting you, as I think on it. But then again, she'd be happy meeting almost anyone. What about you? What's your family like?"

Atropa's smiled vanished.
"My family?.." She asked quietly, looking at the ground as they walked.

"My dad is... drunk most of the time.. My mom ran off with her boyfriend, and I barely ever hear from her.
I had one little sister, but she's in a coma right now, because of my dad.
He was drunk, and he went to pick her up.
They got in a wreck."

Atropa's face had a hard edge to it- something that barely every happened.
"And then there's me. I have to take care of myself, my father, and my two cats.
I visit my sister every weekend, and I never hear from my mom.
I had an older brother too- but I don't count him as family now."

She looked off at the road.
"My house is right over there."
She said, pointing to a good enough looking gray house on the corner.
"I'm sorry it's so shabby."

"Trust me, I grew up on a farm. This is pretty good." He laughed a bit, smiling. "For me, it's my sister and my uncle. My mom and dad ran a farm in a small village in Norway...But my sister's always been really sickly, so from a young age, she was sent to this area since it had better medical facilities for her needs. She's always lived with our uncle. I came to live here a few years ago so I could be near her. Mom and dad still run the farm, but they thought it'd be good if I tried getting a good education here."

He smiled vaguely, watching her by the door. "Should I wait outside for you?" Even as he had spoken, he was still mulling over her explanation of her family. He wanted to ask about her older brother, but at the same time, saw no reason. It would be rude to intrude, and considering the other issues she'd already mentioned, he felt it bad to open up further wounds.

Atropa smiled at him.
"My father is probably asleep, so you can come in.
It's clean- or it was before school started.
I can get you a soda or something, if you like. I'll only be a second."

She opened the door, and the inside of the house was actually very clean.
It smelled of roses and vanilla.
"Good, dad kept it clean today."
She said, as she walked inside.

"What kind of soda do you like? We have Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Coke, and... Sprite, I think."
She turned to look at him.
"Or, do you even like soda?"
She always tried to keep her guests happy.

He cautiously took a step inside- it was unusual for him to accept going into a girl's house knowing besides him, she would be the only one really conscious or there. Sniffing the air gently, he let out a soft sigh from the familiar yet subtle fragrance. "Smells nice...Reminds me of home a bit. Mostly in the autumn." He chuckled a bit before looking around, waiting for her words before answering her further.

"I'd be fine with just water. I don't dislike soda, but I don't drink it much..As my sister puts it, it's my farm roots." He smiled, adding, "And as some of my other friends put it, I'm just a simple kind of guy."

Atropa smiled at him and got a clean class from the cupboard.
"Alright, would you like some ice then?"
She asked, looking at him.

A thump came from upstairs.

"Atropa?"
A man called down, as he appeared on the stairs.
His hair was disheveled, and he had horrible stubble.
In one hand, he had a bottle of some clear liquid, probably Vodka,
and in the other, a t-shirt that looked dirty.

He wasn't wearing one, and he had a beer belly.
His jeans were low on his hips,
and he scratched his head.

"Who the fuck isss thisss.....?"
He asked, slurring his words as he took a step down the stairs.
He stumbled a bit, and then fell, and landed at the bottom of them.

"Atropa, who the fuck is that? Why iss he in myy housee....."
He hiccuped, and then laughed, and then stood up.

"Daddy- um, this is a friend from scho-"

"A frienddd? Yeahh rightt, you little sluuttt.. I knoww what youu're doingg..."
He smiled crookedly at her.

"Jusst like your momma..."
He laughed and took a drink of his bottle.

She turned to Sayaku.

"Um, can you wait for me outside, please? It will only take a moment.. i'm sorry."
She looked so lost- the light in her eyes was out, and her face was
pulled down.

She turned back to her dad and grabbed his arm, leading him back upstairs.
He kept mumbling to her while they went, and she talked back quietly, soothing him.

Once she got him back in bed, she went to her room and changed into a pair of skinny jeans,
sneakers, and a black spaghetti strap tank top, then grabbed a light blue zip up hoodie.

Atropa walked out the front door, locked it. and then walked up to Sayaku.
"Thank you for waiting. I'm very sorry."

He laughed nervously when she returned outside to meet him, having left rather easily, not wanting to cause more trouble. "It's quite fine," He mused, though nervous. He wasn't intimidated by her father- he'd been beat up enough that he could handle it anyway. However, he did have an issue with making others nervous- likely a past reason, but he wouldn't bother to note it anyway. "As I said earlier, I'd decide while I waited about going to my house...I think just to be safe I'd like to take a peek on my sister, so I might as well change real quick while I'm there. If you don't mind, of course. My sister won't cause you any trouble, so long as she's sleeping. If she's not...Well, won't really be any trouble, but she may try to chat a bit."

"Okay, that's fine. I don't mind chatting."
She said, smiling at him.

Despite what had happened with her father, she didn't worry
that he'd tell anyone.
And she was happy to just be spending time with him.

When she agreed to his words, Sayaku began to lead the way just a few blocks down the road. Taking one turn before stopping in front of a modest house, he looked at her. "I know a lot of the people in this area have bigger houses, but we have a smaller one too, see?" He smiled, patting the name plate nearby- it didn't have his last name, however. The last name on it was Fujimaru. As he looked at it, he laughed nervously, adding, "Ah- that's my mom's maiden name, by the way. It's her older brother's house, so...My sister and I have different last names than the name plate. Sometimes it's confusing."

He dug through his pocket and got out his house key, opening up the front door. "I'm home." He mused, looking over his shoulder at Atropa. "Come on in and make yourself at home."

"Big brother, you're back." His sister mused, leaning up slightly from a couch in the living room. "Ah...A person...?"

"This is Atropa. She's just here to wait until I change. Behave, okay?"

"Okay." His sister smiled as he went to his room, leaving her to tend to the guest. Standing, she walked over to Atropa. "Would you like something to drink while you wait? Big brother changes fast, but...You should still be given something to drink if you're thirsty."

Atropa smiled at the girl.
"No thank you, I'm alright."
She looked around the house.

It was pretty nice, and his sister seemed really sweet.

The girl smiled easily, nodding before returning to the couch, relaxing in the gentle, simple atmosphere.

Sayaku returned rather quickly, just as his sister claimed would happen. He had changed into a simple pair of jeans and a t-shirt, but seemed to be otherwise fairly well kept. His comfort level was clearly elevated, and he let out a deep sigh of relief. "I hate the uniform- too tight and stuffy. This is much better." He mused to himself, looking over at his sister. "Flute, we're going again. Watch the house well okay? If Uncle comes back, let him know I'll be home a little later than usual."

"Okay. But don't call me that." The girl responded, waving and peeking out from the couch. "It was nice meeting you, miss."

Sayaku smiled before looking at Atropa. "Shall we get going? Where should we go first?"

Atropa nodded.
"Anywhere, I don't mind. Although I'd love a coffee or hot chocolate."
She said, smiling happily.

"It was nice to meet you, also!" She called out to his sister.

"Coffee, huh? I know a coffee shop just a couple streets away. Let's go there. They have good stuff." He smiled easily to her before beginning to lead the way. As he walked, he turned to look at her. "What brought you to the area anyway? It's hard to be new, right? I'm sure it'll take time, but you'll fit in, I think."