Prism Goddess University

Lauren stood uneasily in the crowded room, watching the other girls mill around. She listened to the dean, almost flinching at the mention of roommates. So one of these girls was going to room with her? She'd hoped to have her own room, to be allowed to bring a snake or hamster or something with her. Perhaps she could strike up a deal to get out of having to share a room, or maybe her roommate would be afraid of snakes and run off. She didn't want to think such bad things, but if it was a choice between her animals and a roommate, the choice was clear in her mind.

She waited til most of the crowd had dispersed before going up to check the board, the irreverent thought crossing her mind that these were goddesses. Why couldn't they just beam the list to everyone's smart phones? She shook her head, dismissing the thought and looking around warily, hoping that no one was spying on her mind, that she wouldn't be struck by lightning or, worse yet, sent to some eternal detention.

She finally got a look at the list. There was a roommate listed, but Lauren kept some hope that maybe the girl had gotten cold feet at the last moment and she'd have the place to herself. She took out her own smart phone, taking a photo of the class and roommate list for later before doing the same with a map posted nearby. She used this latter photo and found her way, with a few mis-tries, to her room.

Her heart fell when she saw the door was open. It plummeted when she walked in to see her roommate was not only present, but absolutely lovely, with fashion that looked expensive. Her own worn jeans, work boots, dragon t-shirt and flannel overshirt were hardly anything to compare, and her duffel, scuffed and stained and covered in every sticker she'd collected since age nine, was suddenly an embarrassment.

She stood there, blushing and confused. This seemed like a nightmare of a room assignment. And looking at the sides of the room... One side was obviously her roommate's, and she had a moment of envy for the beauty of it, something fit for a princess. Her own side, however. Home! It looked so much like the bedroom she'd left behind that she felt a jolt of homesickness. It was as if home had been upgraded. Why, all of her terrariums had even been brought, complete with the small collection of caged pets. The bed was covered in at least fifty realistic plush animals of varying sizes, and the gingham bedspread could be mistaken for her own except it hadn't endured years of washing and grass stains from picnics in the front yard. The rest of her side of the room was taken up with a desk, storage boxes, a dresser, and there was what appeared to be a large, but empty, doghouse at the end of the bed. The room itself held such appeal to her that she was moving toward it without really giving it much thought.

She caught herself halfway to where her roommate stood. Sudden territoriality reared up. She held it in check, used to swallowing her thoughts rather than speaking them. Edging closer, she cleared her throat, pointing to the hamster in the cage the girl was looking at.

"That's Pixie," she said, then motioned to another terrarium, complete with a healthy looking corn snake. "And that's Auberjonois, only we all just call him Odo most of the time." As an afterthought, she added, "I'm Lauren. I guess we're roommates."

Feeling relieved that her roommate seemed like such a pleasant person, Galya looked down at the embroidery her fingers were tracing. Her side of the room seemed so simple compared to Jill's but all the same, she adored it. The bright fabrics and threads didn't bother Galya at all, though she was curious to hear that her roommate was on her second round of college with this goddess training. That would make Jill at least several years older than Gayla.

"I don't mind at all if you knit while you talk, that's fine by me. I can't seem to sit still myself, so I'm glad if it doesn't bother you. I didn't even think of different pantheons and ethics. I guess we'll all have different values and all that, so maybe our views are going to have to fit with our pantheon mates at least. I don't now, really." She glanced at both sides of the room again and was still marveling in the fact that, technically, she was speaking with a goddess-to-be.

"Do you think that they'll tell us what we're the goddesses of? I don't know what I would be good at, or whatever... Maybe you'll be goddess of arts and crafts or something? And then I can be goddess of fidgeting or something like that." Galya stroked her chin thoughtfully, standing up to admire the swords above her bed. She really didn't know what she could be good at, what she could rule over or whatever. Maybe the classes would show her?

"I'm excited to learn more though. And even if it's mostly goddess stuff, it's free college, right? With a career promise." She chuckled, running her finger over the hilt of one of the swords.

Morrow was arranging her desk when Baneflame entered.

"Ah, Baneflame, I have a job for you. It concerns a few of our young goddesses. It seems that some have yet to arrive, leaving others without a roommate."

"Your all knowing plan to team up people didn't quite turn out as you envisioned, Morrow?" Bane smirked, finding some amusement in the way things worked out.

"Never mind that, I have a job for you."

The woman who moved to stand in the doorway of Talise's room was tall and unnaturally thin. Bronzed skin, brown eyes, and a shaven head were immediately noticeable, as were the moving words on her linen robes, seeming to rearrange themselves to tell more and more of some ancient story. Baneflame wasted no time, speaking in a commanding, certain voice.

"You are Talise. There has been an error in your living arrangements. Gather your things and follow me." She was an imposing, certain figure. Her voice was formal and filled the room as though she had studied just how to speak in an impressive manner.

"I am Baneflame and I will be taking you to meet your new roommate, Miss Octavia. The headmistress apologizes for the confusion."

Meanwhile, in Octavia's room, the half that would soon belong to Talise was quickly redecorating itself to suit her, instead of the girl who would have occupied it.

Coriandre smiled. "Y-Yea fun." She was startled by the openening of the door she was sure it had been locked. She walked into the room and gasped. It was decorated in an earthy green color there were flowers along the windowsils and tree painted on the walls. "Oh my god it's Perfect." She felt so at home in this room. She simply loved it. "Genevive Just look at those Flowers they are so colorful." She said with anexcited voice a side of her that only appeared when she was around plants like these.

[DASH=white]Octavia had gotten to her room and was currently looking over her own half. It was perfect, just like her room back home at her parents house. Her bed had gotten dressed in black sheets, the bed skirt and edges looking to be decorated with frilly lace. She had a mountain of pillows as well, each as dark and lacy as her bed spread. The walls were covered in victorian art and sillouetts while a wardrobe was pressed against the remaining space of a wall. Inside all of her clothing was placed and organized, surprisingly to her liking. She found herself admiring the decoration until strange sounds caught her attention.

Her roommates side of the room began chainging. She had not observed it much before hand but what every the style it was, it was now gone and replaced with a beach theme of sorts. It seemed that her roommate wither had a change of likes or was comepletely replaced. That put a little edge on her but not enough to show physically. Instead, she went back to changing into one of her simpler dresses, still all black but not nearly as intimidating or poofy as the one she had worn at the meeting. Hopefully she'd still be able to make good friends with this new woman. She hated the idea of having to room with someone that didn't like her.
[/DASH]

It wasn't long before Talise's room morphed into a style she loved. Soon, her half was a Hawaiian paradise..

"So gorgeous," she breathed out.

Her fingertips grazed the new comforter patterned in flowers outlined with sea-green on a background of a light sky blue. The walls changed hue from a white to a nice sage green. Talise couldn't help but smile at the transformation that just occurred. What amazed her even more is how the themes of each side of the room met exactly in the middle. Everything was planned out perfectly, and that sense of perfection was almost... overwhelming. Would she be able to hold that up? Talise was far from perfect and had never striven to be. Weren't goddesses suppose to be the epitome of perfection?

With a soft sigh, Talise sat on the edge of the bed, her hands on her knees, as she looked over at her roommate. First the she noticed was the complete contrast of styles. Talise cocked her head to the side and raised an eyebrow as she took in the difference. She hoped that they could still be friend even though it seems as if their likes completely conflicted. Friendship wasn't about style anyway... was it? After a moment or two of silence Talise decided to talk.

"I'm Talise!" She said brightly.

[DASH=white]Octavia watched quietly as her new roommate looked around her side of the room, keeping silent for the most part as she observed the woman. She certainly had a brighter style than her own, though Octavia certainly had nothing against it. Surprisingly for someone of her tastes, she liked the beach. It was a romantic setting and even though the heat was hard to bear, the offering of swimming in the naturally cool waters of the ocean was nice. At the moment she was going through her own wardrobe and making sure everything she wanted was there. Just as she finished going over her things she heard the voice of her roommate, the bright woman introducing herself. She turned and faced the woman from her spot, her hands natural folding in front of her like a proper lady of sorts.

"Hello...I'm Octavia." She said slowly, a very faint smile on her lips as she spoke. "It's very nice to meet you. It seems that we will be roommates from now on."
[/DASH]

As the day faded into night, the girls had a chance to get to know one another. All too soon, a chime sounded, seemingly from every direction at once. It was quickly followed by a melodious voice.

"Attention all students. Please assemble for dinner in the main hall. We will be having a small presentation and introducing you to your first set of powers as soon as dinner is over. Then you shall be permitted to practice or to explore, but please keep in mind, quiet hours start at ten pm Prism time. Thank you!"

The chime repeated and, just like that, the strange magical intercom kicked off.

Frowning at the fabric in her hands, Jill rearranged some stitches before looking up again at Galya. She chuckled a bit at Galya's guess of what she might be goddess of. Fidgeting didn't seem like something humans needed goddesses for; after all, we all did it naturally. "I suppose a goddess of arts and crafts might make sense for me," she said, glancing again at the loom hanging somehow over the bed. "Working with textiles is practically something I was born to do. Almost everyone in my family does something." She stopped, wondering how she would check in with her family and her store from now on. There had to be some way of communicating with people.

But that wasn't as important right now. Life would go on without her, and Jill seemed to have a bigger destiny here at Prism.

"I was just thinking of old gods and goddesses in different cultures, I guess," she said, going back to the topic of pantheons. "Are they going to be our models in some way? Or are we going to have to figure everything out ourselves? It's going to be such an interesting experience!" She gushed the last part, not realizing that her excitement had brimmed over.

Jill laughed at Galya's last comment, then waited for the announcement to end before she started speaking again. "Hopefully we'll never want for food or shelter as goddesses. Should we start heading over to the dining hall?" She grabbed a bag lying under her bed and stuffed the sock into it. "We'll finally start finding out what our powers are! I can hardly believe that I have powers. It'll be fun to practice with them after dinner. I can't decide if exploring or practicing is a more attractive idea right now."

The other girl seemed the serious sort, a studious girl who pondered long over the answers to afterthought questions. This was not displeasing to Galya in the slightest and she wondered if it wasn't somehow planned for this to happen that she, unsure of what she wanted in life or what to do, would be partnered with someone who'd already been through college and had a fair idea of what life had to offer.

"I really hope that I get to do some sports or something" Galya mused as she stood to follow Jillian. She was trying to keep up with Jill's speaking and to keep the other girl from feeling as though she were unfriendly, which was the last impression she was hoping to give. A part of her was already rather fond of the other girl and she was glad that she'd gotten such a sensible roommate. She watched Jill grab a project in progress and stuff it into a bag before they began to make their way to the dining hall.

"I can't believe that I could have powers, you know? I mean, I was raised on myths and stories of gods and goddesses and spirits, as well as demons... But to think that maybe some day there will be stories about me, that's pretty incredible. Don't want to be like Zeus or something though, and just be in a bunch of stories for having a bunch of kids." Galya wondered if there were only goddesses being recruited. Had there been some sort of problem with gods that they'd decided to try to avoid by only recruiting girls? Aside from all the stories about the gods fathering half-mortal children, she couldn't think of any other real problem with gods. Were they misandrists, perhaps?

"We should be almost to the dining hall" she noted, walking single file behind Jill down the halls.

Talise opened her mouth to continue her conversation with Octavia when chimes went off and an announcement was soon to follow. Alright, it really all begins now, she thought as she pushed off the bed. For a moment she wondered whether or not to wait for her roommate. They didn't really talk, so was it appropriate to wait for a complete stranger? Just out of politeness she decided she would keep her new roomie company. After all, they could become better friend and nothing was wrong with that concept.

"We could walk to dinner together!" She said cheerfully. "Can you believe we are going to get some powers after dinner?" Talise asked, disbelief in her voice. Part of her was still waiting to be rudely awaken from such a pleasant dream. She was raised to believe that nothing of this magnificence would be given to her. Sure, her parents were all peace and love, but they forced her to live in the real world. Well, real world meaning that the fantasy of goddesses would not be tolerated... or fairies. Talise couldn't help but give the tiniest giggle at the argument over fairies. Who really argues over fairies? Apparently her family. Still, anyway you turned this situation seemed surreal, and she began to doubt if she even had the capability to do this.

"Do you believe in fairies?" An odd question, but it was something Talise could relate to, and the topic of fairies made their walk to the dining hall less awkward than total silence did.

[DASH=white]Octavia looked up as the announcement was made about dinner. She then looked to Talise and smiled a little bit at the woman. It seemed she was interested in being friends, a definite first for the Gothic Lolita styled girl. She nodded her head a bit when the offer for walking to dinner was made and straightened her dress a bit.

"I would like that." She said. When the question was asked about the powers she shrugged her shoulders a bit. "I find it hard to believe a lot of things honestly. I come from a very serious family so just the fact that all of this exists is very strange. But, I only hope my powers fit me properly...I don't think I'd be comfortable with a strong forward power like fire. As for fairies...I fear that I don't believe in them...but ass things go on I suppose it could change."
[/DASH]

Any who found themselves lost would soon discover their path being lit by faintly glowing patterns on the floor. Those who lingered would find these lights growing brighter in response. The main hall was completely transformed, the walls further back, the entire hall curving gracefully and warm browns and golds in color. Delicate streamers hung from the rafters and round tables were spaced around the floor, each with twelve seats. Every table was piled with food of various kinds, all smelling wonderfully. Each place was set with a silver plate and goblet, along with real silverware and golden colored napkins. The girls would find their very favorite dishes at the table they chose to sit at.