Premise- Medieval Fantasy High School (Reviving an original RP world) original or premade characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Additionally; it really depends on the mechanics of the world. If it takes longer to cast that fire spell than to swing a sword, thrust a spear or hell, throw a javelin, it doesn't matter how much power you have as a mage. Also; knights have been confirmed to have some form of magical aptitude as well. Perhaps they enchant their armour. Shindo gave the example of putting an ice crystal in chocolate so it wouldn't melt. Similar techniques could be applied to your plate mail to prevent death by boiling point.

And as @Deathwatch101 mentioned, it's not like an armour is just iron on top of your skin ;p On top of that it probably takes longer to get iron that hot, especially in open space and wet atmospheres, than it does to stab the mage.

Last edited:
This is probably a silly question, but how are people set up into squads? Is it like random or do we advertise OOC/IC after characters are approved? Also, squads are composed of 3 people right with a combination of knights and mages? So I'm assuming 1 squad has to have at least 1 knight and 1 mage and the 3rd person can be either?

A Knight if in Plate Mail would have Plate mainly on the Chest, legs etc, this would have an under layer of chain which would then be on top of a layer of leather or padded cloth etc.
Which all act as very good insulation. Plus, there's nothing stopping the mage from just conjuring the fire inside the armour.

Which all act as very good insulation. Plus, there's nothing stopping the mage from just conjuring the fire inside the armour.
it depends on how the magic is limited etc, otherwise i could in theory magic my magic inside your body and blow you up from the inside.

Additionally; it really depends on the mechanics of the world. If it takes longer to cast that fire spell than to swing a sword, thrust a spear or hell, throw a javelin, it doesn't matter how much power you have as a mage. Also; knights have been confirmed to have some form of magical aptitude as well. Perhaps they enchant their armour. Shindo gave the example of putting an ice crystal in chocolate so it wouldn't melt. Similar techniques could be applied to your plate mail to prevent death by boiling point.

And as @Deathwatch101 mentioned, it's not like an armour is just iron on top of your skin ;p On top of that it probably takes longer to get iron that hot, especially in open space and wet atmospheres, than it does to stab the mage.
But the power of a mage is more often than not measured by how quickly and accurately they can invoke an incantation, rather than how much damage the incantation actually does. Plus, knights don't stand a chance against Spatial mages, since they can just teleport a grenade inside the knight's stomach and be done with it.

Are we really discussing a theoretical fight between a human and a human with magic though? That's like trying to compare a table without a cake and a table completely covered in cake then asking someone which they'd prefer to have.

Kestrel said:
EDIT: Oh and also, what is the armour situation? What kind of protection are we up against and is commonly used in the academy?

On school grounds, Academy Cadets wear a navy blue uniform with gold trim that looks similar to a military dress uniform. Mage's College uniforms are more loose-fitting and are the same shade of blue with silver trim that resemble that of what you'd imagine to be a Japanese school uniform. Girls have the option of wearing a skirt with the option of kneesocks or stockings for College Students, and Academy Cadets must wear stockings if they choose to wear a skirt with boots of at least knee-height.

Duels may be fought to first contact. Drawing blood is severely frowned upon. Students are expected to know when a fatal blow would have occurred and to pull their attack and/or yield accordingly. Skilled healers are on call at all times, however. Killing another student in a duel is grounds for immediate expulsion and subject to punishment under military law.

Intersquad tournaments are held under live combat guidelines. Mages must fight in uniform, and Knights may requisition an armored version of the Academy uniform. All students may use their own weapons or requisition them from a quartermaster. Crystals are in place over the stadium that prevent fatal strikes or those that maim or inflict permanent or serious injury. When such a strike were to occur, the attacking spell will be nullified or the kinetic blow will be repelled, and a blue flash will emit from the target's body and the recipient is then considered removed from combat. This field does not prevent the sensation of pain received from such blows. Such combat fields may be reserved for 1-on-1 or squad vs. squad matches, bu must be done so in advance.

Missions are potential live combat situations, and students may use whatever armor, weapons, and equipment they own, however suitable armor/robes and weapons may be requisitioned from a quartermaster. Students are also expected to carry tents (multiple-person tents may be used, separated by gender) as well as sufficient food and water and whatever other gear may be necessary to complete the mission. Instructors are assigned to each squad to observe them on missions. Planning and execution of missions are left up to students, however an instructor may intercede if he feels the squad is in over its head.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kestrel
But the power of a mage is more often than not measured by how quickly and accurately they can invoke an incantation, rather than how much damage the incantation actually does. Plus, knights don't stand a chance against Spatial mages, since they can just teleport a grenade inside the knight's stomach and be done with it.
If you go that far, then why are there knights to begin with besides being fodder? I mean, that'd just mean knights would be playing meatshields and red shirts. This makes no sense in accordance with the information given us so far.

Besides, if you would do that in one of my RP's, you'd have yourself a warning for godmoding ;p

Yaay sailor uniforms! A must have for any self-respecting school.

@Kestrel don't worry, I don't actually play like that :D If I do, it's because it's the kind of RP where there's a huge abundance of such cannon fodder and the characters are all supposed to be slaughtering them left right and center. But yeah, I reckon in a magical setting with high-fantasy type magic rather than subtle curses and what not, knights would exist only as cannon fodder. Unless as mentioned earlier, they had enchanted their armour. Perhaps with anti-teleporting-explosives-inside-stomachs charms.

But yeah, I reckon in a magical setting with high-fantasy type magic rather than subtle curses and what not, knights would exist only as cannon fodder. Unless as mentioned earlier, they had enchanted their armour. Perhaps with anti-teleporting-explosives-inside-stomachs charms.
I think this line of reasoning depends heavily on an assumption on your part. Without verification from Shindo, you can't state such absolutes.

Hah, I was imagining it as pretty much Minas Tirith except free standing instead of against a mountain.
Er, yes. Minas Tirith is the city and Gondor is the country. Sorry, it's been a while. But yes, it is free-standing.

Sadly I must leave at the current moment, so I will have to resolve the chest-explodey discussion later tonight or tomorrow. Short answer: no, not possible.

@Kestrel I was meaning in a generic magical setting. I already acknowledged this one isn't using generic rules.

Quite possibly. I enjoy massively over the top crushing entire cities in one attack, so my magical settings tend to involve something as powerful that, though it's not usually one of the characters.

We haven't started the IC yet so I reckon you can join. Actually, I don't think we've even made the OOC yet.

Well, I'm not up on all my fae hierarchy, but Yuzu is I would say the Tinkerbell-type. 4-5" tall with translucent non-insectoid wings. She became bound by tradition to Roland when she attempted to play a trick on him and he captured her in a jar, but took pity on her and freed her. Their bond means she must follow him and serve him always. She can inhabit the wooden pendant he wears to always stay with him, but so long as she remains within several miles of him, she won't suffer any ill effects. Because Roland is overly modest and uncomfortable with the prospect of having a girl, even a fairy, be with him everywhere he goes, he prefers her to not be in the pendant. She tries to keep her existence hidden, as she is afraid that humans, especially mages, will want to rip off her wings and study her for science, according to stories she's heard from other faeries.

She is very mischievous and flirty, and fascinated with human males including Roland, since they are the first non-animal males she's ever known. However she is confused by human concepts such as modesty and terms like units of time, and will frequently substitute concepts she understands like nature to fill in the blanks. For example, she frequently asks Roland's friend Becky if she wants him to "pollinate" her. She has a tendency to refer to herself and others by their names instead of pronouns, except for Roland, who she refers to as "Master". She also has difficulty with large words she doesn't understand and will tend to overpronounce them, for example, "Holl-idd-ay" and "Fesst-uh-vull"

Faeries have power over nature, such as helping plants grow, and while each has a specialization such as a specific type of flower, I decided to have Yuzu's be lemons.

Keep in mind I'm not married to a lot of the facts I've laid out, especially characters. If you'd like to tweak something, feel free to suggest it.
Ok, I'm totally into the idea of playing her. Do you think I could reserve her?

Status
Not open for further replies.