Premise- Medieval Fantasy High School (Reviving an original RP world) original or premade characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuzu, the fairy of Yuzus.

Actually, towns were commonly named after their environment. If we're talking about making sense in naming conventions, a big bell tower isn't going to be built before naming the town. Similar with a big graveyard.

Not that it matters for the RP, really. It's more important it's easy to remember. Belgrave suffices that criteria and Chronarii... Well, it sounds a bit more alien but because ancient civilisation, you could get away with it. Most important part is that people remember the name.
They can be both. And names of places can change over time as well. The name of a place almost always comes from the most efficient way to describe said place when you don't know it's actual name. Once that most efficient way becomes common practice, the name of the town changes to the common practice. Using the closest example to my house that easily comes to mind, there's a road around here called Peel Street. Of course, that name only came into existence in the 19th century, but the road existed long before then, as did the town. The name of the street was changed to Peel Street when a police office was built on that road (police men used to be called Peelers, and the police force used to be called The Peel). It happened that it was easier to recognise what street people were talking about when you said "That street with the peelers on it."

The name of a place almost always comes from the most efficient way to describe said place when you don't know it's actual name. Once that most efficient way becomes common practice, the name of the town changes to the common practice.
Which is kind of exactly why towns are most often named after their environments ;) While you're correct that names may change over time, as language often does, to build a landmark like a big bell would take a while. Usually longer than it'd take for a name to settle in. Street names are smaller occasions and more relevant to the people living inside the city than those living outside of it and therefore more flexible with naming conventions. You need to communicate it to fewer people and these people are already conveniently clustered together.

Not that this matters much, though, because;

Belgrave is actually the name of the royal family.

What if the town had been built by some people who called it Grassland-With-Forest-Near-To-It-And-A-Mediumly-Sized-River-Running-Through-It, then it was invaded by some people after the bell tower had already been built. If I had invaded someone and massacred their town, I'd probably name it after the most noticable landmark rather than the environment. Name it after the environment and you might then have to specify between 3 or 4 different "Grassland-With-Forest-Near-To-It-And-A-Mediumly-Sized-River-Running-Through-It", so it's easier just to say "the town with the bell tower"

Wow, we reached page two! Thanks for all the interest. Well, I know I said I had several characters I was playing with, so I figure I'll list them out one at a time instead of type them all up in a single post and have it take several days. So without further ado:

Rebecca Rosewater
Class: Mage
Element: Water/Ice

Appearance
Becky stands at a minuscule 4'11". She sports red hair framing her face and reaching to the middle of her back, along with steel-rimmed glasses highlighting her ocean-blue eyes, with pale skin and freckles across her entire body. She has a demure physique, and adds feminine accents to whatever outfit she wears to compensate for the fact that she is as flat as an ironing board.

Personality
Intellectually brilliant, she has the personality one would expect of a tortured genius. She is shy and introverted, but blossoms when something piques her curiosity. The only thing she loves more than books is her best friend Roland, who remains painfully oblivious to that fact. She is earnest and polite, but feels out of place in social situations. She possesses terrible insecurities about her body, especially her height and her chest. She is caring and supportive of her friends, and is unrelentingly stubborn when one of them attempts to isolate themselves from her. Her mood can be altered by the weather. When it rains, she becomes a joyous free spirit who will dance without provocation.

Equipment/Combat
Becky reluctantly wields a Chronarii artifact in the form of a book. She remains unsure of its full abilities or how she is even able to use it, but the book appears to be of unlimited pages. She can "scan" a person or object using a unique spell to display their information on a page and use her limited and unexplained knowledge of the Chronarii language to read specific "codes" on that page. She can then take out or put in a limited amount of that code from the words she knows to make a person stronger or weaker, or change the properties of an item. This gives her unique support utility to supplement her elemental repertoire of equal parts attack and defense. She can also use water to heal, to a degree, although her healing specialty lies in purging toxins from the body.

History
Becky grew up in an independent farming village, born to two mages who settled down from their adventuring lifestyle to serve as part of the village's defense and raise their daughter. She spent her days reading anything and everything she could get her hands on, falling in love with stories of people journeying to far-off places and having adventures beyond imagination. Her best friends during her childhood were her neighbors Roland, and another girl, Celeste, both children of her parent's friends that settled into the village's defense force. An incident when she was 8 years old claimed Celeste's life, as well as that of Roland's father and permanently stripping his mother of her ability to walk. Roland, unwilling to accept charity, began to pick up what work a 9 year-old could do in his father's absence, becoming his family's primary breadwinner. Becky, meanwhile, unwilling to let anyone else do the job, spent what time she could taking care of things at his home, helping his mother and his baby sister. When Roland was 12, he left the village to go seek better-paying work. His departure broke Becky's heart, but she stayed behind to take care of what mattered to him most. She communicated with him only via letter for 3 long years. He finally returned home shortly after Becky turned 14, announcing he had accepted a blacksmith's apprenticeship in a far off country. Unwilling to accept his best friend's deference of her own dreams on his behalf any longer, he also informed her he had arranged an interview for her at a college for mages in the same country. With his little sister now old enough to take care of their mother on her own, he brought Becky with him to the Kingdom of Belgrave...

OOC Info
I'd love to have someone play her and make her their own, but at the same time, I am more attached to this character than the others I'll list. If you have any interest in playing her, please contact me, and I'll work with you to help brainstorm and implement any changes you'd like to make. All I ask is that you be a female age 18 or older.

This is still an interest check thread. You should head over to the Roleplay section via the button at the top and make a new group roleplay. That way, people showing interest doesn't get confused with character profile discussion and talk about the IC.

This is still an interest check thread. You should head over to the Roleplay section via the button at the top and make a new group roleplay. That way, people showing interest doesn't get confused with character profile discussion and talk about the IC.
Ah, perhaps you're right. I'm brand new to the site so I'm still figuring out how everything works.

And that's why I told you where to find the button :P

Seems very interesting, I'm in! :D

I thought of another question; what types of engagements are our characters trained to fight in? I mean, you mentioned werewolves and vampires are some of our foes, but are our characters trained to engage each other in large numbers like on a battlefield? Is it more of a squad versus squad scenario where it's 3 on 3? Or is there a large difference in strength in which typically you mow down hordes or red shirts, or vice versa, you need one or more squad to engage a single enemy to have a chance at coming out alive?

Also, can we kill werewolves/vampires with weapons/magic? Y'know, the non-silver crossbow bolts and the blade of your spear being more effective than poking with a splintered shaft-kind.

EDIT: Oh and also, what is the armour situation? What kind of protection are we up against and is commonly used in the academy?

Last edited:
Most vampires and werewolves will die from piercing the heart with a blessed item. Silver typically reduces their regeneration. Also, detonation and incineration work in the case of most vampires.

Sounds like an interesting premiss though what would your thought be on someone wanting to be a battle mage for example.
If it's someone that uses good old steel, etc. weapons then it's probably a Knight. If the weapons are conjured with some sort of spell then it's probably a mage.

What if the town had been built by some people who called it Grassland-With-Forest-Near-To-It-And-A-Mediumly-Sized-River-Running-Through-It, then it was invaded by some people after the bell tower had already been built. If I had invaded someone and massacred their town, I'd probably name it after the most noticable landmark rather than the environment. Name it after the environment and you might then have to specify between 3 or 4 different "Grassland-With-Forest-Near-To-It-And-A-Mediumly-Sized-River-Running-Through-It", so it's easier just to say "the town with the bell tower"
I had envisioned the area around the capital being in the highlands. The city itself is very much like Gondor if you can imagine it, with each of the rings rising higher than the previous ones. I did imagine a river running through the lower ring, so we're on the same page there. The area around the roads leading into the city are open areas with mixture of steel-grey rocks and deep emerald grass, but I imagine further off in the distance toward where the elevation rises sharply there would be a nice treeline. I never really thought about it, but I suppose the cathedral's bell in the upper ring could be heard throughout the city when it rings.

I thought of another question; what types of engagements are our characters trained to fight in? I mean, you mentioned werewolves and vampires are some of our foes, but are our characters trained to engage each other in large numbers like on a battlefield? Is it more of a squad versus squad scenario where it's 3 on 3? Or is there a large difference in strength in which typically you mow down hordes or red shirts, or vice versa, you need one or more squad to engage a single enemy to have a chance at coming out alive?

Also, can we kill werewolves/vampires with weapons/magic? Y'know, the non-silver crossbow bolts and the blade of your spear being more effective than poking with a splintered shaft-kind.
I had designed the squads to be 6-person independent units so people could have modular encounters. Anyone who wants to be the GM for your squad can and you can fight pretty much whatever you want. Although keep in mind these are students. They're not going to be given missions above what the school thinks they can handle, but sometimes the intelligence might be bad *wink wink* Vampires and werewolves can be killed like anything else by hitting them enough, they're not all-powerful, although you're welcome to say sunlight/silver works especially well. Also keep in mind things like necromancy are illegal, so you can go up against that, too.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kestrel
If it's someone that uses good old steel, etc. weapons then it's probably a Knight. If the weapons are conjured with some sort of spell then it's probably a mage.
So magic casters can't train themselves with weapons, they wouldn't be as good as a knight in pure melee but would be able to obviously hold there own, i was thinking of doing a magic user that used a sword rather than a staff or wand.

Hah, I was imagining it as pretty much Minas Tirith except free standing instead of against a mountain.

So magic casters can't train themselves with weapons, they wouldn't be as good as a knight in pure melee but would be able to obviously hold there own, i was thinking of doing a magic user that used a sword rather than a staff or wand.
I can't speak for what is common in this world, but a fairly good back-up weapon in my mind could be a crossbow. It's relatively easy to use, accurate and pierces armour. Long range is probably best left to magic and in close quarters you're likely screwed when up against a knight anyway, so using it's power and accuracy to discourage engagements doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Though, of course, if your mage has battle training, magical swords can help them out as well.

@Shindo Thanks for the explanation. I edited something into my post later you might have missed while you were replying. Could you answer the following?
EDIT: Oh and also, what is the armour situation? What kind of protection are we up against and is commonly used in the academy?

Kestrel, I was speaking more of the idea ok i may not beat a Knight in close quarters melee but if i can cast a range of spells at such close quarters but at least be able to keep myself relatively well defended i could be a bit of a glass cannon or combing with a knight quite effectively, in theory i could be a mage that could go back to back with a Knight though i would be quite soft to being easily killed or wounded with a hit or two.

Kestrel, I was speaking more of the idea ok i may not beat a Knight in close quarters melee but if i can cast a range of spells at such close quarters but at least be able to keep myself relatively well defended i could be a bit of a glass cannon or combing with a knight quite effectively, in theory i could be a mage that could go back to back with a Knight though i would be quite soft to being easily killed or wounded with a hit or two.
Yeah, I just reread what you posted and now my reply looks kind of silly ;p My bad.

I reckon a mage still realistically tops a knight in close combat (in general, not specifically this RP). I mean, Knight: Heavily armoured. Armour is a fantastic conductor. Mage: Wields fire spells. Mage just has to heat up the knight's armour and the knight either has to disarm in which you can blast him with a kill spell, or he boils in his own plate.

I reckon a mage still realistically tops a knight in close combat (in general, not specifically this RP). I mean, Knight: Heavily armoured. Armour is a fantastic conductor. Mage: Wields fire spells. Mage just has to heat up the knight's armour and the knight either has to disarm in which you can blast him with a kill spell, or he boils in his own plate.
A Knight if in Plate Mail would have Plate mainly on the Chest, legs etc, this would have an under layer of chain which would then be on top of a layer of leather or padded cloth etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.