Pregnancy in Roleplaying

Is it wierd when a character is pregnant when it comes to certain roleplays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are some Roleplays where it's inappropriate though; if you were pregnant, would you continue working as an assassin, or go on dangerous missions? Pregnant characters in these scenarios are unrealistic and cumbersome for the plot.

Annya didn't plan on being pregnant, nor stuck on a rural planet thank you very much!

Annya didn't plan on being pregnant, nor stuck on a rural planet thank you very much!
Well then my comment didn't apply to Annya.

Why for this always happen? I outline a specific circumstance that seems (to me) out of place or unrealistic, and then all of the people whose writings do not fit that circumstance start explaining to me why their characters/plots/histories/settings make sense. Of course they do, we're talking about different situations!

</rant>

@Minibit was just enjoying poking at your absolute there.
I know, sorry about the over-the-top resonse; I just really do seem to get this on almost every single thing I post in the guild or the institute; I outline a few things that I personally feel constitute bad or unrealistic writing, and everybody whose case does not fit that outline gets on my case about why their writing is fine >.<

Sorry for ranting on ya - back to the topic!

I've never actually encountered pregnancy in a roleplay I was participating in that I can remember, although once a partner of mine played a single mom with a newborn.

@Minibit, it's just one of those things people do. O__O They always want to explain their exception to the common rule, even though everybody knows stuff isn't ACTUALLY that black and white and there are always exceptions.

People like to argue. >:3

• Thank You
Reactions: Minibit
Goodness me, what have I stumbled upon? Torturing innocent unborn babies. I think I've officially entered into purgatory... Which means Wispy ate me. On a serious note, I don't find it weird at all, in fact, I encourage it. Mainly because most races are still just reproductive beings, who find someone they like and such and decide 'Let's have a kid!' I also like if an RP expands after the original RP or something, and you get to see where the choice of having those children went. You don't have to like it, I can understand some people just awkwardly pushing it away from themselves. So I guess I'm more on a neutral standing here, then again I always am I guess. I know it seems scary for me now to have a kid in the middle of my life, but I know that it'll be a great and wonderful experience in the long run.

Quick little edit, no, I'm not having a kid yet. I'm only turning 21 in around 20 days, gosh darn it. Let me enjoy my rebellious youth for a few more years!

I once played a werejackal rogue who was heavily pregnant with a half-barghest rape baby anti-Christ for an entire Pathfinder campaign.

She carved WORLD'S BEST MOM into a an Orc Cleric Chieftan's skull and used it as a coffee mug.

Good times.
the only way this is more ridiculous is if the rogue worshipped lamashtu

pathfinder ala D&D 3.75 ftw!

It's not weird. I actually like it in threads, with some of my characters, speaking on my past years of writing over the years. I think I agree with some here to say if it is done right.

I'm not a fan of it. I really can't stand roleplays where pregnancy is the key theme, because it's just an idea that holds absolutely no appeal to me. I don't want to be fathering kids any time soon, so I don't want to roleplay it either.

As for characters being coincidentally pregnant in a roleplay... well, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If two characters in the party fall for each other and then have a night of passion that leads to pregnancy, then I don't have too much of a problem with it. It's going to be early stage pregnancy, so it won't overly affect the woman's abilities, and it's developed naturally as part of the roleplay.

What I'm really opposed to, however, is when someone starts up a roleplay and the gist is that we need six adventurers to save the world in some kind of a medieval fantasy epic, and a six-month pregnant human character signs up. That's not right. That character will just get in the way, and slow things down and their entire character is usually defined by their being pregnant, so if, all of a sudden, they were no longer pregnant, that character would have no other personality traits. I know some people would make a pregnant mage (or other character) and actually play them as a fully three-dimensional character with a real personality and skills, rather than just a big pregnant blob, but it's been a rarity in my experience so far, so it's something I just steer clear of when possible.

I am not a fan of pregnancy at all. Sure I have characters that have children, but I have never roleplayed those pregnancies. And I do not plan on doing such a thing ever.

I think its OK its a card that's rarely drawn in RPs but it gets weird when it GETS WEIRD

I would rather not relive my pregnancy days in an rp. I don't think it's weird, but who really wants to right about swollen ankles, morning sickness, and insane mood swings? I'd rather focus on the changing relationships and attitudes that occur during pregnancy than the many, many, many effects that a woman suffers from.

-Shudders at the reminder-

I would rather not relive my pregnancy days in an rp. I don't think it's weird, but who really wants to right about swollen ankles, morning sickness, and insane mood swings? I'd rather focus on the changing relationships and attitudes that occur during pregnancy than the many, many, many effects that a woman suffers from.

-Shudders at the reminder-
I don't think I've /ever/ seen a pregnancy roleplay that deals with the physical side effects in any meaningful way. The closest has been people using it as a justification for saying "give me a foot rub" and then snuggling up on a couch to talk about the future. Or, in an adventure roleplay, the pregnant one does everything the others do, but just complains about being pregnant every so often because it would be easy to forget.

In a way, I'm intrigued by the idea of a pregnancy-induced rollercoaster mood swing roleplay. It sounds like it could be hell, but in a very good way.

Damn this thread and my own easily suggestible nature.

I don't think it's weird to have a pregnacy in roleplay!
Well unless its a guy whom is pregnant. Unless that guy was a sea-horse dude. That would be cool.
Or if you happened to roleplay that you got a monster-girl prego thennn that could get a bit awkward.

The next day our handsome Hero GuiltyLiight arose from bed sore, stiff, in slight pain.. actually in significant pain due to the two fractured ribs he obtained in last nights 8 hour session with Lamia-Girl. Never-the-less mentally undaunted as our amazing Hero had no time to waste! He had to make is long journey North to the mystical land of Harpy-Babes! Grabbing his sword and shield the hero made his way out the doo..

Lamia-Chick: Umm where do you think your going?
Hero: Uh well to the mystical land of Harpy-Bab..
Lamia-Babe: I'm going to have our child tomorrow.
Hero: Oh...
Screen+shot+2012-01-02+at+3.49.39+AM.png

Reactions: Minibit
In the peak of my roleplaying days, I was in high school, and I think I only played with other high school-age-esque people, so in most of my experience, someone getting preggo in an RP would be WEIRD. Nowadays, I'm a little more open-minded about it, but my ick towards pregnancy and babies in general (for me) would still make it a little weird. I'd get used to it though, as long as (like Minibit said) it was done right. It brings a lot of stuff to the table that would be really neat, such as... in an action-oriented RPG, the frustration of having to sit on your butt, or getting scolded for not sitting on your butt because the baby!

I like it in some rps, like my Walking Dead rp I have going since I think Daryl would be a great dad

I remember when people (characters) were allowed to buy their own in-game houses on a Neverwinter Nights server I played on. Characters immediately started courting, marrying, and shacking up with each other. Yes, pregnancy followed. Everyone was so dreadfully domestic, and I was just hanging around going, "So who wants to kill some dragons?"

Question said:
Is it wierd when a character is pregnant when it comes to certain roleplays?

For certain role plays, yes, it would be weird. For instance, you really wouldn't want a pregnant woman on the front line of a war role play, at least not normally. Nor would you want one being rocketed into outer space, or put into situations where they would be threatening their potential offspring with severe harm (especially if said situations can be opted out of).

Otherwise, though, pregnancy is just a natural part of the human life cycle. Nothing ashamed in exploring that in various settings, contexts, and plots, so long as it makes sense and isn't thrown in simply to be dramatic.

Personally, I feel that in certain situations it can be excellent for character development. However, I'm not really one for it to be the spotlight of the RP or for it to happen just out of the blue. I feel there's a lot of emotion and changes that can just take things up by storm and hey, I'm living with a pregnant woman and I can see first hand right now just all the changes that can go on with someone's life and how its affecting her. I see what it's doing to her daily and hear from her what it's doing to her body. It's given me inspiration on one of my characters and just how helpless it can make a stronger and more independent woman feel and just how much it can wreck their emotions and make them doubt themselves and make them feel they have to lean on others when they wouldn't normally. So, for that, I like the concept of seeing pregnancy in roleplays... But I can see some of the reason for not having pregnancy in certain roleplays. It's not for everyone. It's awkward, it's a major thing in life and if it's not done right, it's a bit insulting and just comes out tasteless. And really, it doesn't belong in every situation and setting. You won't have a heavily pregnant woman out fighting and risking her life, or if you do, you have to start considering some very heavy material such as the risks of miscarriage... And that's... not exactly material most people want to look at. I mean, I'm a writer who tends towards darker material and I'm not even comfortable with something of that calibre.

• Love
Reactions: Blood Lightning