Power Rangers Fanfilm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just downloaded the YouTube one onto my PC.
That way I can still show/share it with people if that get's taken down from copyright/DMCA bullshit also.

Kamen rider is not Power rangers for adults. Power Rangers is originally a japanese series called SupeR Sentai. All the robot fight scenes come from it.

Kamen Rider still panders to younger audiences, selling merch (each new kamen riders a gimmicked belt that he or she uses.) The show is still colorfull and painfully japanese with all the lovely poor CGI you can ever want. But I still say give it a shot. ITs pretty gloriusly hammy in the best of ways.
I know both are merch cash cows with a "general Japanese audience" mindset, but actually, I get why his friends would say that. I've watched Japanese seasons of more than a couple Super Sentai series and Kamen Rider series and even more of the American stuff.

One of the things I noticed immediately is that in Super Sentai, the cheese factor seems a lot higher on the one hand. But on the other, it's also more melodramatic. There are more instances of villains portrayed with some sympathetic qualities but NOT surviving and played for tragedy(whereas in Power Rangers, most of these kinds of villains will get to survive). Also, in Super Sentai, they explicitly fail to save every civilian. People running from the monsters sometimes die in front of them onscreen, and the rangers get upset about it, though they generally avoid playing it too heavy. And all though later series of Power Rangers finally did start incorporating this element, the idea that even a Ranger can really be killed off before a series ends has been present for longer in Super Sentai. In spite of all of this, it can still come across as more upbeat than the American version because, again, the colorfulness and cheese seem so much more earnest.

Japanese Kamen Rider, depending on which iteration, does feel darker and more "adult" to me. I've read that shifting writers between them is a big reason for this. There seems to be a lot more moral ambiguity. Fewer central authority figures. More genuine angst over searching for the right thing to do and dealing with fallout from monster's rampages. Heck, even the Riders will end up as antagonists to one another for pretty long stretches WITHOUT it being a simple case of "well, one of them is evil/brainwashed and once the good one has that one long, good fight with him, they'll be teammates for good until the next time they get mind controlled." Kamen Rider Ryuki had Kamen Riders trying to kill each other as a key element of the plot!

I also note that sometimes even the relative "grittiness" of some Kamen Rider series to Super Sentai can even be seen in the fight choreography. Super Sentai choreography always seems to have a bit of a stylish, classic kung fu movie polish to all the moves. Some Kamen Rider series fights are like that, but sometimes I was stricken by how some of their fight scenes involved a less structured feel. Like you'd have some karate-like movements but also some inelegant looking grappling that sort of added to the sense of struggle.

It all makes sense though: Even though Kamen Rider is still a kid-friendly show, it is closer to Ishinomori's original, darker vision(see the anime, Skull-man for some idea of what it was originally like) when he unintentionally more or less created the genre by cleaning up the ideas. Super Sentai was inspired by it rather than being a more idealistic adaption, so it being the less "adult" of the two makes sense to me.

That said, it too has some cheese to it. But watching them back to back definitely felt different to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: LunaValentine
Kamen Rider Black was rather dark in comparison. But then again, it was from the best Kamen Rider era :D. Also, the Fact that Skullman exist in the same universe as Kamen is canon is just the best thing.

True. True. I hadn't thought about the interconnectedness being canon. Shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did.

Thinking about this some more, I find the video humorous (they made Rocky interesting!), but I also think I understand Saban's annoyance.

With Saban, Levy, and JDF having stated that Lionsgate is definitely working on a feature film reboot/reimagining that would allegedly be more serious(but no footage or concept art), this is a bit ill-timed. I've encountered more than enough assumptions that this video is proof-of-concept and/or a preview of sorts for that movie(like the Mortal Kombat webseries trailer or the Deadpool concept video). It also doesn't help that a lot of repostings word it as if it is official.

Still, there has to be a better way than what they're doing. Just release a clarifying statement or else just be quiet and ride the wave of renewed interest until it's time to disappoint wow the crowds.

I have a question for the Ranger fans who watched this. The credits clarify who a lot of otherwise unrecognizable characters are(sometimes to humorous effect).

It mentions Cestria, but I haven't been able to figure out where she is in the video. Is the guy in the magazine supposed to be a genderbent Cestria?!

Anyone?

The magazine cover says the name of the guy in the picture with Billy is Curtis Taylor.

I'm going to assume Cestria is the female secretary figure behind Billy in the video of his speech.

Ain't that some shit? Bring a guy to your planet and save his life as his love interest only to get stuck being his secretary in the end.

It's hard out there for a fish lady.

It confused my childhood. I enjoyed it quite a lot though.

Relevant. It has strong language and stuff;

Status
Not open for further replies.