1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
Genres
Fantasy, Modern Fantasy, Horror, Light Romance, Sci-Fi Fantasy, Fandoms (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel/DC)
051942.17781120_500.jpg

In the crystalline city of Adacia,
Power is Slavery,
Slavery is Power,
But you cannot oppress them forever

History
[BCOLOR=transparent]Founded roughly 500 years ago by Oliver Haven and his followers, Adacia stands at the pinnacle of human progress and intellect. With walls guarding the city from the ruins of the outside world, it has become the last of what mankind has to offer. There is no crime, there is no inequality or poverty.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]At least, that’s what they want you to think.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]In reality, they run rampant in the city streets. The officials just don’t talk about it. The current leader of the city, Charles Haven, is rarely seen but harshly felt. To go against him is asking for a fate worse than death. His son, Victor, is hardly an improvement. Though not a monarchy in name, Adacia remains one all the same.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Alas, those who have the power to change the fate of this city do not wish to do so. For they are the rich, the privileged--they know nothing of the impoverished lifestyle of the Lower District. In fact, it more than likely disgusts them. For the seldom few that pity the lower class, they have been all but ostracized for voicing such opinions.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]In the past 200 years, a genetic anomaly has occurred. Rather, it should be called a mutation. Haven’s best scientists could never find the cause, but the effect was certainly catastrophic. In just the span of one generation, the Outer District was completely destroyed by those affected by the mutation, an event later referred to as “Bloody River” due to the river running through city turning red that day. As such, laws were quickly passed by George Haven, the leader of the city at the time.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]These laws commanded the immediate enslavement or imprisonment or, in extreme cases, execution of these mutated individuals--usually referred to as “abominations.” Such extreme cases were rare because the Haven family saw an opportunity in these mutants, not only as slaves but as soldiers.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Those with high caliber abilities were immediately sent to Blackhaven Prison for the sole purpose of studying them and finding out how to weaponize them. In time, a small and elite group of these mutants came out of the prison completely changed and driven by only one purpose: to follow the Haven family’s every command. Every year, those condemned to the prison come out as the same. And now, they act as personal bodyguards to the family, as well as a type of “secret police.” Fearfully nicknamed “Probers,” this group is not to be trifled with.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Those sold into slavery were sold to the highest bidder--always a man or woman of high social standing. The higher their power caliber, the more expensive they would become. Soon, no one living in the Upper District was without a mutant slave. These slaves were rendered helpless by the ingenuity of Arthur Germaine--the lead scientist and engineer of the time. He developed simple but efficient collars meant to not only punish slaves if they acted out but also kept them pumped with an anti-mutagen of sorts inhibiting their powers. Arthur quickly patented these “G-Collars” and sold them for outrageous prices, and the upper class was more than willing to pay.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As such, many aspects of the society changed completely. Where before slavery was taboo and even considered illegal by some parties (though never officially so), it was now common practice. Where before the upper class had never lived in fear, they now did. For while most of the abominations were found in the Lower District for reasons unknown, the genetic anomaly could still be found in the Upper District. Children of high-class citizens were found born with these mutations and, by law, forced into slavery or even imprisonment. There was nothing anyone could do, and no one dared to overstep the new boundaries set in place.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]How exactly did one determine whether a child had the mutation? Frederic Bordon answered this through his own stroke of genius. He discovered that, while the genetic anomaly could not be identified at birth, it [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]could[/BCOLOR] [BCOLOR=transparent]be discovered when a child hit 11 years old, with some at 10 and 12. Not only that but, with some refinement, it could properly identify the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]strength [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]of the child’s power. He quickly proportioned it into a scale dubbed, rather moronically, the Bordon Scale. George Haven did not hesitate to make it mandatory for every child to be tested starting at 9 years old until 13 (just to be sure).[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Life went on. And 200 years later, slavery has become a thing of pride for the Upper District. The more slaves you had, the richer you were considered to be. In rare cases, citizens would only keep a few on hand, but most would try to get their hands on as many as possible. Those that don’t sell are immediately shipped off to the prison without question. Those of higher caliber don’t even get the chance at the relative freedom of slavery.[/BCOLOR]
City Infrastructure
[BCOLOR=transparent]The city has two main districts with four different sections in the Lower and two in the Upper. The walls surrounding the city and separating the two districts are a combination of brick and steel, with only one gate at each. Before “Bloody River,” there were three districts. Now, the city has been forced into its remaining two due to the horrible destruction of the outermost one, and the gate leading to the Outer District has been permanently sealed.
8180353_orig.png
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Upper District[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
The Elite houses Charles Haven and his immediate family, his advisors, and the exceptionally wealthy. Its houses are larger and have more land surrounding each. Although the need for slaves is greater, most of the citizens living here keep only a few on hand--relatively speaking. This is especially true for the Haven family, as they do not find it necessary to buy many slaves as they already have all the power.
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]
The Main houses the rest of the wealthy class. While they are not wealthy enough to live among the Elite, they are still ridiculously rich especially in comparison to the poor living in the Lower District. Here, they enjoy extravagant parties and hundreds of slaves distributed among them. Many of those living in the Main keep a superfluous amount of slaves on hand as a means of showing power and status. The more you can afford, the better you are.
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Also in the Main are a few fire stations, a police station, and a luxurious hospital catering only to those that can afford its care.[/BCOLOR]
8180353_orig.png

Lower District
Farmland (1)
The first and largest region in the Lower District contains the farmland, most of the oil/natural gas fields, and small villages. It is a mostly flat land with some hills here and there and small areas filled with trees. The roughly 25 villages dispersed throughout the land consist of poorly built shacks and a couple substantial buildings that run as post offices and basic first aid clinics.

Hellgate (2)
Nicknamed as such due to its overcrowded population and slum-like conditions, the second region in the Lower District is home to the industrial workers, factory workers, etc. It also houses most of the police stations, fire stations, and the only hospital located outside of the Upper District. The few skyscrapers in the area are home to those who are fortunate enough to detach themselves from the horrid streets--small-time lawyers, doctors, businessmen, etc. It is still not much, but it is better than the streets below.

Industrial Region (3)
The third region contains the bulk of the factories, oil refineries, and mines. There are a few housing areas for those who work round-the-clock, but most of the workers live in Hellgate. The mines range from iron to gold to precious gems, and no one is quite sure how such a variety of precious resources have been found in such a relatively small area. Alas, no one has the time or will to question such things, and everyone goes about their work for the meager pay they are given.

Blackhaven Rainforest (4)
At the center of the rainforest region lies Lake Noir, a semi-large body of water appearing to be black. When Oliver Haven first explored the area, he named both the lake and the rainforest. History has yet to question its originality. Very few citizens live in the rainforest, and those that do work at Blackhaven Prison. The prison, once a facility to hold the worst of the criminals, is now used to hold mutants who cannot be fully controlled by the anti-mutagen--although this information has not been made public. The high-tech facility is considered to be inescapable, and it so far has the track record to prove it. The warden, Geoffrey Magnus, is known for his intolerance for any sort of insubordination.

8180353_orig.png

Outer District
The Outer District once held the majority of the farmland, as well the rest of the rainforest and several other smaller forests. Most importantly, however, it had the city's only nuclear power plant at the outer edge. Since the events of Bloody River, the land has become overgrown with vegetation and is reportedly still flooded and burned in many areas. Most of all, however, scientists have confirmed that the land is still riddled with nuclear fallout after the violent destruction of the plant. As such, the land remains uninhabitable, and no one has dared to venture outside the sealed gates.
G-Collars
Kindly ignore how poor this drawing is. I tried, ok?
[BCOLOR=transparent]The G-Collar, invented and patented by Arthur Germaine, aids in the control and discipline of mutated individuals. Many have tried and failed to surpass the true genius of this small device, although it has been modified over the years to fit a more streamlined design. Simply place the collar around the individual’s neck and activate the magnetic lock. Once activated, the lock cannot be deactivated. Any attempt will shock the individual through the electric strip embedded on the interior of the collar. This shock does not have any adverse long-term effects, but it will leave the wearer immobilized for several minutes. It can also be activated wirelessly through the simple push of a button, in case disciplining the wearer becomes necessary. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The greatest function of this device is the plastic tube encircling the exterior, which can be filled and refilled with anti-mutagen. A full tube of this anti-mutagen can last up to 90 days, as administration is only required once a day in small amounts. The recommended dosage time is midnight. The chemical is administered through small, retractable needles that should not cause any discomfort when inserted. If given once a day, the wearer will be incapable of utilizing any of their harmful abilities. Truly, this revolutionary device should be a staple in every home with mutated individuals.[/BCOLOR]
Bordon Scale
[BCOLOR=transparent]Developed by Frederic Bordon, the scale determines two factors: the presence of a genetic mutation and the strength. Originally, the number-based scale ranged from 1 to 100; however, it was quickly discovered that the difference between one number and the next was so miniscule it was impossible to truly decide when a mutant could be considered “dangerous.” As such, Bordon simplified the scale to range from 1 to 20, with each increasing number representing 5 numbers from the original scale.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The downside of the Bordon Scale is that it cannot determine what abnormal abilities the genetic mutation will cause in any one individual. However, since the genetic mutation comes from the same general source, anti-mutagen developed by Alexander Germaine is sufficient to render these individuals powerless. As such, it has been decided by the scientific community to abandon any research towards being able to discover this information through tests.
Bloody River

maxresdefault.jpg

[BCOLOR=transparent]“190 years ago, roughly 10 years after the first record of the genetic anomaly, Vincent and Sasha Grey were found wandering the nuclear power plant around midnight. The authorities attempted to communicate with the trespassers but to no avail, as they seemed to be in some sort of trance that later was found to be a result of the mutation. At the time, the Bordon Scale and G-Collars were yet to be invented, so there was no way to know how powerful the brother and sister were.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]At 1:05 AM, the Grey children used their genetic anomaly to destroy the nuclear power plant, causing immediate fallout radiation affecting most of the Outer District. The following morning, around fifty mutated individuals were found in the same trance state. They caused terrible forest fires, floods, and other natural and unnatural disasters.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Four hours later, when news of the tragedy finally arrived, the gates from the Outer District to the Lower District were permanently closed. Millions of innocents died from the carnage, including all of the known mutated individuals living there. Three days later, the river running through the remaining city ran red with blood for 30 hours. It would be two weeks before it was deemed safe to drink and use again.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]This tragedy, now known as 'Bloody River,' can only be blamed on the horrible mutations occurring among our honorable citizens. As such, it is only for the safety of my citizens that I continue the mandated enslavement and imprisonment of these individuals, no matter their class or rank.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]-Charles Haven[/BCOLOR]
Probers

The wonderful little red and grey logo on the chest is the symbol of the Probers, and this is their standard uniform with some differences here and there.
Pi_S_Probers.jpg

Officially named Blackhaven Special Forces, this small and elite group comprises of the most powerful mutants in the city, and it holds sole allegiance to the Haven family. Most of them act as bodyguards on a regular basis, but many also perform secret police tasks. Their main function, overall, is to ensure that the Haven family is not threatened by any force--small or large. Such forces are quickly and harshly dealt with.

Blackhaven Special Forces got its nickname "Probers" from its only other function: to ensure that every child has been tested and that those who have tested positive are rounded up and collared. They aide in transportation of these mutated children to either slavers in the Upper District or to Blackhaven Prison, depending on the strength of their abilities.

What truly makes Probers so terrifying is that they seem to be completely conscious of their actions. They are able to make judgments based on the circumstances, and nothing seems to indicate that they don't truly have a will of their own. In fact, some seem to enjoy their work, while others just seem indifferent. None of them, however, show any signs of rebellion against what they are tasked to do.
Important NPCs
Name: Charles Haven
Position: "Elected" Leader of Adacia
Personality: Ruthless and cunning, Charles Haven is not a man to tolerate even the slightest hint of rebellion. He cares little for the welfare of others, rather only seeking for whatever benefits him and his family. Not to say that he is a family man, as he only wants to ensure that the Haven's remain in power for many years to come.
Family: Victoria Haven -- wife -- 57 -- alive
Xavier Haven -- son -- (would be) 25 -- deceased
Victor Haven -- son -- 22 -- alive
Vanessa Haven -- daughter -- 17 -- alive
8180353_orig.png

Name: Alice Langley
Position: Captain of the Blackhaven Special Forces
Personality: There is a reason she has been named captain of the Probers. With little to say but much to do, she ensures that her men know their orders and follow them as efficiently and effectively as possible. She's a quiet woman, but she speaks her mind when she needs to. She doesn't care at all for the questionable morality of what she does, and some might even say she cares little for what happenst o her own men. Undoubtedly, she is as cruel as Charles Haven himself.
Power: REDACTED
8180353_orig.png

I WILL ADD THE NPC OWNERS AS SOON AS I HAVE A CHARACTER COUNT.
8180353_orig.png

img.php
  • All Iwaku rules and guidelines apply! You can read up on them here.
  • Before I say anything else, let me be clear that this is an adept-advanced roleplay. That means that I expect AT LEAST two to three well-written paragraphs per character, per post--preferably more if you can. Grammar and spelling does not have to be perfect, but it should not be distracting. If you don't think you can handle this, I would ask that you refrain from joining.
  • Please be diverse with your characters. The age range is 16-30.
  • Powers are on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVE BASIS. That means only one character gets to have a certain power. I will be assigning the scale number based on what information you give me, but let's try to shoot for a 12.
  • Everyone is expected to create at least TWO characters. There is a reason for this that will be revealed IC. Unlike last time, we will not be playing one "master" and one "slave." Everyone will be playing slaves until further notice. If you don't think you can handle two characters, or if you'd like to play more, just let me know! I'm more than willing to accommodate. :)
  • Keep all OOC drama out of this roleplay. If you can't handle joining because Joe over there bothers you, then don't join. I'm not going to ask anyone to leave just to cater to your dramatic "needs."
  • My decision is final. If I ask you to change something about your character, please do so but do feel free to come up with an alternative idea to the one I give you--just run it by me first. If I ask you to change something IC, I will gladly discuss with you the alternate routes your character could take but please respect my decision as it is likely important to the plot that your character does not do whatever.
  • CHARACTER DEATH IS PROBABLE. If you can't handle the prospect of your preciousness dying, I have a special little place in the character sheet for you to voice that. Please try to be willing to let one of them die, though. Realize that even if you give the okay for a character to die, it might not happen, anyways.
  • If you have any plot or character ideas that you're not sure about it, run it by me first through PM.
  • Please do not post any W.I.P. sheets unless you're truly almost done with them.
  • Keep swearing to a minimum, as I don't appreciate superfluous anything.
  • If for any reason you need to drop out of the roleplay, just let me know! I completely understand that life just gets in the way or you just lose interest! Either way, I just need to be notified so I can adjust accordingly. :)
  • HAVE FUN! If you're not having fun, I'm doing something wrong. :(
  • PLEASE realize that our characters aren't going to have good control over their powers initially should they return to them. After all, they probably haven't used them at all or in many years. However, this control will come to them fairly quickly because natural instinct will take over.
  • If I forgot something important, I'll try to remember later and let everyone know.
8180353_orig.png

img.php

Please make them nice and pretty but don't break the mobile devices.
Real pictures or semi-realistic art, please (see "Important NPCs" for the general idea)
If you want a character that's from the Upper District, please ask me first. Otherwise, all characters will have come from the Lower District.

General
Full Name
Sexuality
Birthday

Appearance
{Please put the below information in paragraph form and add whatever you'd like}
Height
Weight
Body Type
Eye Color
Face Shape
Hair Color
Hair Style
Tattoos/Piercings (optional)
Distinguishing Marks

Personality
{Please include a minimum of ten sentences. Answer the below with one sentence each.}
Philosophy
Reason for Life
Greatest Gift
Worst Habit
Darkest Fear

Mutation
{Describe their mutation here but do NOT include its strength on the Bordon Scale, as I will assign that to you}
Strengths
Weaknesses*
Limitations*

Family and History
{Please include all important life events in a minimum of fifteen sentences}
Family (specify relation, age, and if alive)

Miscellaneous
Education
Relationships**
Are you okay with this character dying?

*Weaknesses include what weakens your character's ability (e.g. fire weakens water, water weakens fire) while limitations include what your character's ability cannot do (e.g. cannot create fire, cannot control water for more than 30 minutes, etc.). If you're still not sure how to differentiate between the two, just combine them into one and call it "Weaknesses."
**Before you all scramble to make relationships, wait until I put you together into groups. It's unlikely you'll know much about slaves serving other families. From there, if you truly want to create a relationship between two characters serving different families, go ahead. Just don't go hog-wild.

Last edited:
Ah, well.

I have been ridiculously busy. As of RIGHT NOW, I won't be freed up until AT LEAST next weekend. I still have every intention of doing this roleplay, but I realize that interest wanes after long periods of waiting. So please let me know if you're no longer interested. I'll tag people who don't respond within the next week in case their alerts are broken.

Don't leave. *cries*

I'll still wait

• Thank You
Reactions: Rae
I'm still in.

• Thank You
I'm here? Maybe? Is anyone really anywhere?

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.