POTW: Science with a side of Fiction

What is your favorite setting for science fiction?

• Total voters

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
Tomorrow we're kicking off Iwaku's very first SCIENCE FICTION FESTIVAL across the community! 8D What better way to start us off than a poll about everyone's favorite genre of science fiction?

When someone says "Sci-Fi", usually our first thought is of space saga/operas. Like Firefly, Star Trek or Star Wars.

But did you know there's a lot of other kinds of sci fi?

Like... CYBORGS AND ROBOTS, like that iRobot movie, or that really sad one with the kid who was a robot. ._.

Crazy advanced technology sci fi, like GAMER or the Matrix!

Post Apocalypse settings are considered sci fi! They are settings in the future where life has had to evolve and change for extraordinary circumstances!

And of course tons of other things I can't think of at the moment.

What are -your- favorite settings for science fiction?

I like all of the above; usually as much as you can mash together. Usually a Space Saga with all of they above in it in some form.

Don't forget Dieselpunk, Atompunk, Gothic Sci-fi, or Cosmic Horror Cammy.

I CAN ONLY THINK OF SO MUCH AT 2 AM! O___O

Steampunk and Biopunk are good ones! >8D

The only one of those I'm interested in is Dieselpunk. And maybe Gothic Sci-fi if I figure out what that is.

I'm kind of hooked on the idea of a Dieselpunk Utopian world...

I now kind of want to write Time Traveling Angel Cyborg Maid Asmodeus Sugar Princess.

Or at least read it if someone does.

Another good one is Space Opera! IT IS DIFFERENT FROM SPACE SAGA, DIANA!

I like the new world colonists/explorers/wrecked.
Adventure!
Possible dinosaurs.

Those suggestions are all good, of course, but my favorite?

A universe driven by music, so much in fact, that it can even be the catalyst of life.

I believe they already made TTACMASP…only I think it involves ponies.

Also I love my time traveling and invasion RP's. So much politics to mess around with.

Why isn't there an "All" option?! >:C

WHERE ARE YOUR COMPLAINT SHEETS AND COMPLIMENTARY TOWELS?

Just kidding, of course. I love them all :D

Space Ham!!!

come on... you know I coulda done worse

dystopia

All of this sub-genre crap confuses me.

Instead, I will just list some stuff I particularly enjoy: humanoid aliens, polluted worlds, neon cities, cyborgs, big guns, and time/space travel.

Gothic fiction, sometimes referred to as Gothic horror, is a genre or mode of literature that combines elements of both horror and romance. Sci-Fi gothics are the classics that most people don't really think about as being science fiction; best example is Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, that mixes horror and romance into the future. Warhammer 40,000 is a more modern example, where elements of monsters like vampires are aliens. I Am Legend explains vampires as being caused by a disease.