POTW: Do you talk to yourself when you're alone?

Do you talk out loud to yourself when nobody's around?

• Yup.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Nope.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Yes, AND I do it WHEN people are around!

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • I'm never alone. My imaginary friend is right over there, see?

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I never talk. Talking sucks.

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I do have an annoying habit of talking to myself ONLY when people are around. Otherwise I'm pretty mum.

Reactions: Fluffy
I sometimes talk to myself when I'm alone, but generally for an actual purpose rather than just like.. randomly chatting or speaking my thought aloud. Saying things out loud is a great way to make yourself remember them, so sometimes I'll do that. I've found that talking through my processes and goals when trying to solve complex problems (math, logic, troubleshooting, whatever) tends to help a lot, so I also do that. Oh, and sometimes when I'm reading and I stumble across a strange word I'll say it out loud to see if I actually know it by sound, which works ~2/3 of the time.

So yeah, only constructive forms of talking to myself, no crazy.

Reactions: Lysander and Fluffy
So yeah, only constructive forms of talking to myself, no crazy.
But constructive is boring and crazy is fun. Why would you choose boring over fun? D:

• Love
Reactions: Lysander
But constructive is boring and crazy is fun. Why would you choose boring over fun? D:
Because you don't choose crazy. If you do things crazy people do, you're either actually crazy or you're trying way too hard to be "quirky" and "unique." I lack the natural crazy, and I refuse to be one of the latter group. I'll stick with boring. :D

• Useful
Because you don't choose crazy. If you do things crazy people do, you're either actually crazy or you're trying way too hard to be "quirky" and "unique." I lack the natural crazy, and I refuse to be one of the latter group. I'll stick with boring. :D
Sounds reasonable enough. Though I pity you for your lack of natural crazy, you poor thing...

• Love
Yes, often as a way to proofread something I've written. Sometimes I struggle to understand the mindset of a character whose views are quite different to mine, so if I'm alone I'll get out of my seat and physically imitate the actions I've written out for them. I'll also try to think like they do, and repeat their dialogue in whatever manner I've written.

This is how I figured out that long winded speeches about morality in the middle of a sword duel is as Hollywood-level dumb as it gets: "BREATHING. I NEED TO BREATH."

My mind sepatated in peoples. Supersayain hotdogs everywhere.

I've a habit in which I explain myself plans and theory. I've also developed the habit to read all of my assignments out loud in case I missed something. These new 'basic' conditions are killing my nerves as well.

I also like to mock on myself. In case I need to kick myself to work or to wake up. Then I like to boss myself around. I listen really well to myself. Kind of.

And sometimes when something amazing crosses my mind I also like to whisper it out loud. Has caused many heads to turn around, to which I often pretend that it was someone else.

*Nods at the current poll results with satisfaction and taps her fingers Mister Burns style* Excellent...

I can relate to the inanimate object thing, too. I use affectionate words on my gaming rig while I do some computer maintenance, which makes it appear as though I'm talking to myself. I can remember the awkward glances my sisters and my ex used to always give me.

And I'm with you, @Lysander. :] I like to talk out loud to organize my cluttered thoughts. I make fewer mistakes that way.

• Love
I just realized that sometimes I repeat funny things I've heard to myself.

For example, I watched Get Hard a couple nights ago, and Will Farrel is rehearsing prison threats, and a few of them were quite notable and hilarious. Anyways, just now, I repeated one of them to myself; "You have a Costco club card? Because you're about to get dick in bulk!"

What if we're always talking to ourselves?
And everything we know is just a simulation or dream?

I talk with the demons in my head and I think out loud both alone and around people.

I do talk to myself only through my mind. I have conversations with my mind within my mind, if that makes sense. I never utter a word.

I talk to myself all the time, but when I was younger I used to do it a lot more and very loudly. My parents would creep up to the door and sometimes just stare at me as I wandered around in my room having full blown conversations with myself. At some point they would just barge in and ask with a worried smile, "Who are you talking to?" and when I would say no one, my dad would just laugh mockingly as he usually did and my mom would ask me not to do that anymore. So I stopped having loud conversations with myself and just muttered from time to time.

But I still talk to myself now although it has given me...Interesting results.

I talk to myself a lot.

Can't say I get anywhere when I do. Responses are always so predictable. :(

It's relaxing, though. But awkward when you make yourself laugh out of nowhere and people look at you strange, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.