POTW: Do you talk to yourself when you're alone?

Do you talk out loud to yourself when nobody's around?

• Yup.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Nope.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Yes, AND I do it WHEN people are around!

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • I'm never alone. My imaginary friend is right over there, see?

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I never talk. Talking sucks.

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffy

The Demon King ~ He/They
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
It varies. I can't promise much consistency due to my chaotic life.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Superpowers, Drama. Also, romance is required with me because I will get bored without it.
anti-cupcake.jpg

"I TALK TO MYSELF OUT LOUD ALL THE TIME 'CAUSE I'M A CRAZYASS TALKING CUPCAKE"

Anyway, pardon my lame attempt to make you laugh. Onto this weeks poll: Talking to yourself. This seems like something everyone does at least once in a while. Maybe there are people who don't, though! I bet there are silent types who are wordless even by themselves. I was curious to know.

I talk to myself all the time. Even when I'm in the company of others. It can make things confusing at times, but it helps organize my thought if I have too much going on in my head. When I'm alone, I talk to myself frequently out of nervous habit. >>;

What are your reasons? Does being alone make you nervous too? Or maybe, you are just the most delightful company you've ever had? Or are you CRAYZAY? o:

ALL. THE. TIME.

EVEN WITH PEOPLE.

IN PUBLIC.

LIKE WALMART.

I bet there are silent types who are wordless even by themselves.
This one pretty much describes me. I walk around a house full of people and most of the time they don't notice me unless something makes noise around me. I'm quiet until someone speaks to me or I feel I have something important to say. I practice acting here and there, but I don't think that counts?

Reactions: Fluffy
I freak people out regularly. I have conversations with myself ALL. THE. TIME. its freaks people the hell out and they look at me funny. My dad in particular looks at me funny when I do it. He always asks if I'm okay. Its annoying. Can't I just have a conversation with myself in peace?!? and that's not all I do...

I pace and talk to myself, or just pace and think internally.
I sit down and just stare into space while thinking, this can be silent or talking to myself.
I also just generally talk to myself all the time when I'm doing anything... anywhere.
I also fiddle obsessively with things and can't stop myself from doing it.

....I swear I'm not crazy. My dad probably thinks I am though.

Most of my RP ideas and writing ideas come from me doing these things so I'm also daydreaming and thinking internally a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
What? Do you think I'm some sort of weirdo? =P

I more talk to inanimate objects around me than myself. My car is much more cooperative if I promise it a car wash and a fill-up.

I'll talk to myself in almost any situation. I got that from my mom. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, at least once, I'll have a short conversation, or I'll go over certain details with myself.

I'll also talk to intimate objects, just like @Minibit said. Emma, my car, responds best to smooth talk and a good dashboard pat.

Reactions: Lysander and Fluffy
Normally I talk to myself when I'm thinking.
I can process my thoughts faster if I say it out loud and can physically hear myself.

Though a friend of mine just yesterday also pointed out that I apparently mutter after I talk to someone.
Usually a muttering repeating the exact same thing I just said... Apparently to the point that he's picked it up too by being around me doing it too much! XD

That and I do find the occasional mutter to myself when I'm alone.
But those mutterings are just... odd. I mean it will be a random phrase that holds no meaning. significance or truth.
Note these aren't conscious, they seem to come out of my mouth all on their own.
Hell I'm even caught myself saying stuff like "My boyfriends dead" multiple times... I'm a straight male.
I've never had a boyfriend nor do I have any intention in getting one... It's freaky (The mutterings, not the boyfriend).

Last edited:
  • Love
I speak to myself all the time when I'm alone. Not in the mumbling fashion about everything and anything I happen to be doing like my mom does. I'm the kind who starts talking to myself if someone has said something (on the internet or on TV or something) that I really disagree with and I just need to rant it off. Usually I get into big debates with myself, defending both sides xD hahah

Sometimes I just really need to get the rants out of my head and mouth, but I don't wanna argue with people, so I just do the whole thing alone :D

And now that I'm watching for it I'm realizing that sometimes when I read posts I will mutter pieces of it out loud. XD

• Love
Very rarely, usually in such a manner as to simultaneously entertain and mock myself. Basically, I talk to myself with different voices to practice my voice-acting.

Typically, I'm just totally silent, however. Even laughter while reading something online is momentous event.

I used to talk to myself openly around other people, but I've cut down on the habit. Particularly because I liked to talk to myself whenever I'm solving math or science problems, and it ends up distracting or helping my classmates - even on quizzes. Not much, though, since I have a naturally low voice (contralto), and since it's usually just low mutters it's often hard to hear. When I'm on a good mood, though, I apparently talk louder and babble a lot.

Nowadays I can hold entire conversations with myself in my own head. It really helps a lot, despite the strangeness of the idea. I also talk to myself, openly, when I'm nervous and during the night when I'm more easily spooked or creeped out.

I'm usually a very quiet person. Except when I'm alone.

I have a habit of talking to myself or even arguing with myself whenever there's no one else around. I talk to animals and objects too. Most of the stuff that comes out of my mouth doesn't even make much sense and the chosen language is usually English with some Finnish mixed in at times. I once caught myself talking in crappy Swedish and that was the only time I told myself to shut up.

• Love
I talk to myself when thinking through a scene I'm writing; I talk to myself when I'm struggling with a drawing (and when I'm doing well); I talk to myself when I'm cooking to remind myself of what to do.

It's odd that I go by Quiet One, since really it seems like I never shut up. I talk a lot, really, but mostly because it helps me think. I guess I'm still quiet in that nothing I say is directed at anybody.

• Love
HAHAHAH OF COURSE NOT WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT?

*cuddles tiger plushie* they're onto us.

I freak people out regularly. I have conversations with myself ALL. THE. TIME. its freaks people the hell out and they look at me funny. My dad in particular looks at me funny when I do it. He always asks if I'm okay. Its annoying. Can't I just have a conversation with myself in peace?!? and that's not all I do...

I pace and talk to myself, or just pace and think internally.
I sit down and just stare into space while thinking, this can be silent or talking to myself.
I also just generally talk to myself all the time when I'm doing anything... anywhere.
I also fiddle obsessively with things and can't stop myself from doing it.

....I swear I'm not crazy. My dad probably thinks I am though.

Most of my RP ideas and writing ideas come from me doing the things above so I'm also daydreaming and thinking internally a lot.
Were we separated at birth, by chance? :D

• Love
I'm married with children. Even when I'm talking to someone else, I'm talking to myself.

It all depends on what needs to be said and the situation which I find myself needing to say that thing. Sometimes I'll have a bit of a conversation with myself, sometimes it's just a few words, sometimes it's muttered, sometimes it's all in my head. More often than not, it's about what I should do versus what I want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.