POTW: About how much sleep do you get per night?

About how many hours of sleep do you get during an average night?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.6%

Votes: 2 3.2%

Votes: 2 3.2%

Votes: 7 11.3%

Votes: 9 14.5%

Votes: 13 21.0%

Votes: 5 8.1%

• 11+

• I NEVER EVER SLEEEEEP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a fucked up sleeping schedule, so it varies

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffy

The Demon King ~ He/They
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
It varies. I can't promise much consistency due to my chaotic life.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Superpowers, Drama. Also, romance is required with me because I will get bored without it.
Sleeping-Red-Dragon-Cupcake.jpg

Or per day, whatever term suits you best. This poll is inspired by a chart I was checking out today. I was curious as to whether or not my family and I are getting enough sleep. Seemed like an interesting enough topic for a poll. Answer it to the best of your ability! I chose to list individual numbers because reasons.

So, do you get your daily recommendation of sleep? Or are you lose sleep over work, children, noisy environment, and/or insomnia? Or other reasons I didn't think of? Bitch about it here and offer sleeping tips if you have any. Or don't. >:[ We understand if you're too sleep deprived to help us.

7-9 sounds about average. Though leaning more towards nine. Usually go to bed around 2-3 am and wake up at noon.

I have terrible insomnia probably brought on by a brain that gets bored laying in a quiet dark room for a long period of time and staring at screens all the time.

My recommendation is 3-6mg of melatonin. Over the counter I guess since you can buy it at the store. Really helped me this last year to get enough rest. Still wake up groggy most of the time, but that's because I hate waking up.

Reactions: Fluffy
7 - 11 wtf? Really?! I get about six hours, and that's on a good night!

My ideal target is eight, but it usually ends up between seven and eight.

I always intend to get 8 hours a night, but then I'm on the internet hours after I meant to go to bed because I'm a dumb and usually end up getting about 5 hours a night average. I'm doing it right now even. Should've been in bed 3 hours ago, but nah, here I am. I'm awful.

I'm gonna get off the computer to force myself to sleep. XD

6...I think? I don't know. I go to bed around 9 or 10, and usually wake up at 5 or 4.

Recently it has been about 4 per night for me.

I wake up at about 6:30am or 7am, work 8-5. On days I don't have class, I often stay at work late because I'm salaried and in an executive position, but I hate hate HATE bringing work home so I'd rather square everything away at work while I can.

Then twice a week I have grad school 6-10. On those days by the time I get home it's nearly 11. Then there's eating, reading, and study.

I'm lucky to sleep by 2 or 3.

My sleeping pattern is always utterly screwed - it's not infrequent for me to fall into completely nocturnal patterns for a week or two. So I go through phases - sometimes I'm averaging 12 hours, other times just 2-4 hours. Throughout this year at uni I've averaged 2-3 all-nighters per week.

Now is totally the right time to plug my brand-new set of seminars on healthy living, right? Only £29.99!

Between six to eight hours of sleep. And the ability to power nap anytime, anywhere.

Between six to eight hours of sleep. And the ability to power nap anytime, anywhere.
Pretty much my life. I try for 8, doesn't always work. I usually end up getting around 6, sometimes 5 on bad nights.

Anywhere between 4 and 7 hours. But you already knew that :p

I aim for at least 7 whenever possible. On a good week, I can manage that pretty consistently. Of course, if something keeps me up one night, then my whole sleep schedule might be off for a little while. And of course an intentional all-nighter, should I feel the need for one, will of course fuck me up for a good day or two, but, thankfully, it seems like I can get back into the rhythm of things pretty soon after that, usually. I suppose it helps that I can usually get enough sleep on weekends to have them act as a sort of reset to fix any weirdness that might've happened earlier in the week, making each Sunday night/Monday morning a fresh slate for the next week.

My sleeping pattern is always utterly screwed - it's not infrequent for me to fall into completely nocturnal patterns for a week or two. So I go through phases - sometimes I'm averaging 12 hours, other times just 2-4 hours. Throughout this year at uni I've averaged 2-3 all-nighters per week.

Now is totally the right time to plug my brand-new set of seminars on healthy living, right? Only £29.99!
Word of warning, I'm all but certain that my Crohns disease manifested after my sleep schedule got fucked up adjusting to a night shift job because my metabolism was being screwed like a cheap hooker, and a lot of health problems tend to manifest if you don't have a consistent sleep schedule. You're probably okay for now, being 18 and all, but if your family has any kind of autoimmune disorders in your history, you might really want to consider trying to regulate it a bit better.

I mean, my situation's extreme and the shitty work schedule might have been a coincidence instead of the reason my disease manifested, but I've been dealing with this shit for nearly 10 years now.

• Useful
Enough to fuck your mom good and wake up well rested and ready for work on time.

About 8 hours~

Last edited by a moderator:
As a college student with the horrible inability to take naps, I shoot for 7-8 a night.

I had a schedule that got slowly non-schedulish due to my desire to play Pokemon at 1 am.

It varies so much, it's ridiculous. This time I got 11 hours in total, but that's a rarity.

4-6 hours is the usual amount. I live with a bunch of asswads and I sleep extremely uneasy, so a mouse fart could wake me up. I also have a bad habit of staying up until 3am because internet.

Even if I sleep for 8 hours, or some other normal-ish amount of time, I wake up at least four times, though often more. The overall quality of my sleep is bullshit.

I try to aim for the 6-8 hours of sleep. However, I seem to have developed a new tendency to wake up at exactly 8 am, or when I've set up an alarm, an hour before. That if the alarm goes off before 8. >_>

I'm also generally a very troublesome sleeper. Unable to fall asleep after twisting and turning for a long while after going to bed. So on bad days I don't fall asleep until 3 am or later. It doesn't really matter if I'm tired or not it seems.

So recently my average hours of sleep would go between 4-9 hours. Today I slept a broken hours of 9, waking up between regurally and then falling back asleep again.

Like most people here, it seems, I aim for eight hours.

However, between university during weekdays and work weekend nights, it rarely works out like that. I could usually get a consistent six-and-a-half hours before a school day, eight Friday morning—because full school-day then full work-night back-to-back—five or six Saturday morning, and then a solid twelve if I can get it throughout Sunday.

The main worry I have is consistency. Like @Dervish said—and has now helped scare me, gosh—there're health issues when sleeping schedules vary too much. To fix this, I try to sleep from somewhere between 3AM and 5AM until 1PM, but this rarely works. Instead, I tend to get 5AM-11AM one night and then 8AM-4PM another. Even when I do manage to get the aforementioned regularized schedule in place, I tend to wake up randomly throughout the period and my family complains because I sleep through the morning.

Hopefully I'll get things figured out soon.

Have a strange sleeping schedule. I end up sleeping at around 12 or so, but I'm usually in bed before that. My phone and laptop being with me probably doesn't help, but I've had irregular sleep for a few years already. The worst I had was sleeping at five am and having to wake up at six to finish my work and go to class. Even with no classwork to do, it's still really hard to sleep. I usually just end up entering a sort of trance while staring up at the ceiling, or my mind is still too active that I end up fidgeting and getting out my phone or laptop.

I've asked if I could try sleeping pills, but my parents don't want me to take them.

Either 6 or 7 hours of sleep. Sometimes even 5. I hate it, especially since I'm still growing. No wonder I'm so short. Internet is too addicting x - x. I usually need to wake up at 7:30am.
But for the past few weeks I've been sleeping earlier, so I get 7-8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.