Post-Apocalyptic Weapon of Choice

For stabby good times, I'd keep my KA BAR handy for utility purposes, and have my "tactical spear" for poking out zombie's eyeballs/ brain matter, prying open stuff, and keeping wild animals at bay.
UC2961.JPG
It's short, light, and is crazy sharp.

The MK series is decent, but I hear some reviewers say they aren't so good in too heavy of tasks. I got myself this and while the wood is more susceptible to the elements, the steel is more superior and finding replacement handles wouldn't be difficult to me:

95FS_m.jpg

Reactions: Jade
The MK series is decent, but I hear some reviewers say they aren't so good in too heavy of tasks. I got myself this and while the wood is more susceptible to the elements, the steel is more superior and finding replacement handles wouldn't be difficult to me:
Ohh! Fancy. How much that set you back?

Hm, an intriguing question indeed. One that had me stumped temporarily searching through my collection as well as other weapons I have used before and have settled on a small number of arms, listed into their own individualized categories, though, only two for each category. Also, something to note is that these zombies will be both walkers and sprinters, just to make it interesting. Also, as a hardened mode, I also require a head-shot.

CQC: In the event of an apocalyptic event, CQC will be a highly reliable choice of weaponry for the undead, though, not necessarily in a very large group, also, the more sneaky individuals could get away with using it on the less aware individuals within human threats. For these reasons, I believe that the answers listed below are the two best CQC weapons in the event of an apocalypse.

The Chinese Guan Dao: The Chinese Guan Dao is a very large pole-arm, and was typically highly decorated towards the still-oriental days of China during WWI & WWII. It is built in a similar fashion to the Naginata and the Glaive. Pole-arms from Japan and Europe. The style of the pole-arm was oriented towards heavy strikes, in opposition to quick ones, meant to cleave through a(n) enemy's -or several enemy's- bodies with a single strike. This of course made the design of the blade to be lead to being able to endure damages, so that it wouldn't shatter in combat, and of course, the pole was typically made with sturdy material so as to prevent cracking. Though this is a large choice, it is certainly quite well equipped at taking down a zombie or a human. Though, on a side note, well made models are highly rare, and though I plan to get one or a naginata, due to their expense, the effort is delayed.

The Machete: Now now, hear me out. I went through several hordes of the supposed, "Experts." of weaponry and have procured that they are not actually experts as the majority told me that a katana made due. I also discredited my personal favorite zombie killing weapon, the lobotomizer, just because it's not around as a prevalent weapon, currently. This being said, a machete is a diverse weapon, capable of cutting through foliage, sawing through wood, breaking windows, cutting through people/zombies, or even, for some of the better made models, thrusting into people or zombies as well. This wide array of uses makes it a tool worth having in a survival scenario, plus, I mean, who doesn't want to look like Danny Trejo?

Handguns: Another highly prevalent weapon in the event of a zombie apocalypse would be the all too well known handgun. Many handguns were evaluated in this short research, from the .22 pistol to the .50 caliber. The modes of which dictate a winning weapon are rate of fire, recoil, ammo capacity, noise level, and reliability. This will dictate all other guns as well, though, other fields may be added. To those who love handcannons, I apologize, however, in this situation, a hand-cannon would be nigh useless as it is first, too loud, second, has too small an ammo capacity, third, has too high a recoil, and finally, it's rate of fire would be hindered from the strength of the recoil.

The S&W M&P: As my first handgun choice, I went for a reliable, yet powerful .40 caliber. A single shot from this is enough to spin a man around from the sheer brunt of the impact, not to mention the penetration power needed to pierce through a zombie's skull, destroying the brain. It is also a semi-automatic, which allows for a higher level of mobility and control than an automatic, as well as a more reliable fire-rate when compared to a single action. It carries fifteen rounds, which allows for a more relaxed style of firing, as one is not as concerned about ammo count, or further, reloading mid fight, a dangerous thing to do, be it when facing off the undead, or other survivors. The sound is a bit louder than I would like, however, it is allowable due to it's other perks.

The Glock Model 19 Generation 4: The next handgun is the Gen 4 G19. I chose this for fulfilling most of my wants in the prerequisites, as the only one not completed was my longing for a higher caliber bullet. Rather, the bullet is a 9mm, making it significantly weaker, but, still strong enough to pierce through a zombies head with ease, as well as cause a person significant damage without hitting the brain, and certain death with a completed shot, aimed at the head.

I fully expect that come a zombie apocalypse, I'd either just run away or find some painless way to commit suicide. At least, that's what I would prefer, but us damned humans are survivalists and I attacked a deer once because it scared me, so I'd do well to get some weapons.

My weapons of immediate choice—as in the ones I currently have access to—would be one of my walking sticks as a long-reach weapon, probably try to tape something heavy/sharp on the end to add lethality. I'd also fill up some of my metal water-bottles to act as a close-range trauma weapon; bashing is all I know how to do, and they're of good size and grip when held by the cap. (Plus free drinking water. :D) Metal pots can also do some damage, but a bit bulky to carry around.

Still, there are some real handy kitchen instruments at my work with a good feel for them. Better knives than home, certainly. Some mixing heads for the dough are just great for bashing—bigger than the water-bottle but less unwieldy for close-quarters than a walking stick. EDIT: And that meat hammer. mmm

Medium-effort weapons to acquire would be a slungshot—heavy weight tied into a rope, might make it more akin to a meteor hammer—and a metal baseball bat. Also molotov cocktail, in case I'm facing lots of walkers and need to get away.

Ideally, though, I would like to get my hands on a crossbow. A repeating crossbow even better.

Did I mention a stop sign yet?
Yes you did. If I ever make zombie fiction, I'll make sure to include a stop-sign warrior as a main character, just for you.

@Herzius56 , I'd like to point out the point about firearm noise is a moot point considering everything bigger than a .22LR is a very loud controlled explosion. Sure, the heavier rounds are a bit louder, but you're splitting hairs when it comes to drawing attention to yourself.

I also don't know if you're a shooter or not, but personally I find it hard to aim a hand gun accurately past 15 yards. I'd rather go with a carbine of sorts that is much better on recoil and is more accurate due to the butt stock and fore grip. Plus, if it's an old military one with a heavy build, you can use it as a club in a pinch, and a lot let you mount bayonets. Win win!

Okay; no one's really delved into specific home-made options, so here goes.

Two years ago, I was messing around in my backyard with a two foot concrete stake, throwing it into a dead tree.

I got my weight bar and slid the gripping tube up to one end, and secured it there by bending it in a bit on one side.

Then, I inserted the concrete stake in the tube, half of it sticking out while the other rested against the top of the bar.

Presto! An amazing and reusable short range projectile! I could stick that sucker an inch and a half into that tree from about 20 feet away, and would probably get even more range on an elevated platform like a roof.

So, barbell set + a bunch of concrete stakes = awesome!

Last edited:

Two years ago, I was messing around in my backyard with a two foot concrete stake, throwing it into a dead tree.

I got my weight bar and slid the gripping tube up to one end, and secured it there by bending it in a bit on one side.

Then, I inserted the concrete stake in the tube, half of it sticking out while the other rested against the top of the bar.

Presto! An amazing and reusable short range projectile! I could stick that sucker an inch and a half into that tree from about 20 feet away, and would probably get even more range on an elevated platform like a roof.

So, barbell set + a bunch of concrete stakes = awesome!
I endorse this. I made my own monkey fist it's about four feet of slack rope with an additional monkey tail knot at the other end. A cue ball serves as the core for the monkey fist.

For close combat I would prefer using a knife and a short katana, now, if we go to customization, I would try to enhance a small chain to the knife, this would allow it to have more utilities.

For mid and large range combat, a revolver and a bow, why? the revolver is a trusty and very precise gun, and the bow because I have training in archery and it's a pretty good weapon because the arrows are reusable and is silent.

@Herzius56 , I'd like to point out the point about firearm noise is a moot point considering everything bigger than a .22LR is a very loud controlled explosion. Sure, the heavier rounds are a bit louder, but you're splitting hairs when it comes to drawing attention to yourself.
I also don't know if you're a shooter or not, but personally I find it hard to aim a hand gun accurately past 15 yards. I'd rather go with a carbine of sorts that is much better on recoil and is more accurate due to the butt stock and fore grip. Plus, if it's an old military one with a heavy build, you can use it as a club in a pinch, and a lot let you mount bayonets. Win win!
Actually, thanks for making that point, I was referring to the, massive horde scenario, where you fire a shot of a lighter gun and it doesn't reach it, plus, .50 to .22 is an amazing difference.

Another thing, I must have deleted it, where I put that I would do Assault Rifles, Shotguns, and Marksmen rifles upon request. Sorry sorry.

Reactions: Dervish
Actually, thanks for making that point, I was referring to the, massive horde scenario, where you fire a shot of a lighter gun and it doesn't reach it, plus, .50 to .22 is an amazing difference.
Another thing, I must have deleted it, where I put that I would do Assault Rifles, Shotguns, and Marksmen rifles upon request. Sorry sorry.
No need to apologize! I thought I should point out that a gunshot is a dinner bell regardless of language it speaks (err, caliber). There's a good reason we wear hearing protection when playing with contained explosions that launch pointy bits of metal.

Good philosophy in any survival situation where supplies are scarce is to keep anything that can go automatic in semi-automatic only. When you can empty a 30 round magazine in just a couple of seconds, most of those bullets are horribly wasted, and most long guns are pretty accurate with plain old iron sights around 100m, even with semi-inexperienced hands.

Trust me, I hated shooting my rifle in the army in automatic. I could shoot lint off your hat prone at 100 meters, but my first time trying automatic at 25m ended up only hitting my target 6 times out of 30. I got better, but yeah, gives you an idea of how hard it is if you have little to no training.

So many katanas.. Too bad they'll bend and break or lose their edge. C'mon now, even a basic short sword is a better choice. Even one of those from a mock weapon shop if it's made of good steel and sharpened.

Gotta agree with @Razilin , a basic knife and the know-how on what it can be used for for the standard 'every man' survival tool. FUCK THAT. AXES ARE LIKE KNIVES BUT BETTER IN EVERY WAY. Otherwise the crowbar sounds ideal, maybe sharpen the spikey end to give it a bit more oomph when ramming it into something's skull.

All these guns too.. Give me a coil of fishing line and some branches and I've got a working bow and arrow that's good up to 100 yards, way more than enough distance to engage anything short of actually armed humans.

If I wanted to romanticize this apocalypse scenario like people often do. Would probably take a large ax as a signature weapon, hell, even an angry looking hand-ax would be an incredibly effective tool and weapon at the same time. And a crossbow, nothing like hitting something at 50 yards and impaling the thing behind it to a tree.

MOLOTOV COCKTAILS! Area denial tool that are home made! The more lethal the alcohol, the bigger bang for your buck!