Post-Apocalyptic Weapon of Choice

No.

I have no idea what you are talkinb about.

You do not know the evil I have fought, the battles I have ebdured.

For one day he shall rise. And in that hour terror us will grace, and at the cross roads we will fight. And the world will be ablaze... with a permanent, red traffic light."

My battle is real. The cops are but minions of the... TICKET.

@GonzoB. I would most definitely want you in the apocalypse at my side.

@PinkArrow Scythes aren't the best weapons. They're good for cutting through thick brushes and what not though, and a hand scythe is certainly better than nothing in a pinch.

• Thank You
Reactions: Jade
hC4C2BB47

Get it? Its a Stop Sine!

@Brovo Oh boohoo. Who cares if it's "not the best weapon" in real life? This is supposed to be a fun thread- I don't care if you don't think it's not the best weapon. I've seen how they move- they're awesome and I would love to take down a zombie with a huge ass scythe any day! XP

@Brovo Oh boohoo. Who cares if it's "not the best weapon" in real life? This is supposed to be a fun thread- I don't care if you don't think it's not the best weapon. I've seen how they move- they're awesome and I would love to take down a zombie with a huge ass scythe any day! XP

well, she's got me sold.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
And c'mon, no love for the Stop Sine pun?

Its a sine wave!!

Its fucking genius!

Well it is a debate thread though, so we're kind of supposed to criticize other people's weapons of choice so please don't be upset.

Regardless, I think it would be a fun weapon to watch in action, even if it's not the most practical.

I saw. The thing is. I had a 6 hour long test today. Math was a large part of it. That pun. I am broken.

Reactions: Blue Satin Sashes
Scythes and katanas to the wayside, I say!

Y'all 'er free to choose anything you guys want, but yeah, I doubt they'd be of much use.

I'd like to see what you guys choose in terms of projectile weapons and firearms.

I know I said guns would be scarce, but they wouldn't be nonexistent.

I'd like to see what you guys choose in terms of projectile weapons and firearms.
For projectile weapons I'd probably go with a Nerf Gun Crossbow. Even though it's not as powerful as guns are, I could make my own ammo for it, and it's easier to aim than a regular bow. For firearms, if a gun was my only option, I'd probably either go with a, any type of shotgun, as they're the only type of guns I actually know how to use, or b, any basic handgun, as they are lightweight and portable. In case it's not obvious (it is) I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject of guns.

In terms of non-firearm? Bow, as I said earlier, for the same reasons as I said earlier. Specifically a mechanical bow because you can triple (or even quadruple) the effective draw strength. (ex: 50 pound draw strength is actually 150 pounds of force when fired. That's a huge advantage considering greater draw strength equates to less accuracy since your arm will shake trying to hold it. Unless you're under-drawing, in which case, naughty naughty, that'll ruin your bow in short order.)

In terms of a firearm? The MP5 or an A4 Carbine. Basically any submachine gun or rifle that can carry a large amount of ammunition, in a single shot capacity, and fire with decent accuracy at moderate ranges. I'd also take a rifle over a pistol any day because I can brace the rifle up to my shoulder and get better accuracy from that, considering I have no firearms training it's important that I pick something easy to use which will be accurate and comfortable for me.

It also doesn't hurt that they can go full auto if things go to shit. Not that it would be very effective against a zombie, but I'm not thinking zombies when I talk full auto...

I choose a 9mm rifle and pistol, and or a 22 rifle and pistol.

Anything will do, really, but I figure those would be around and ammo would be plentiful.

They're also relatively small, but still pack quite a punch.

If I had to stick with just one I would try to make it a crowbar or pry bar of some kind, with perhaps a file to sharpen one of the edges as an impromptu knife edge. It can be slightly modified to be used in a variety of ways and is an all around good choice.

Ideally, I would have several weapons/tools. If I were at home, for example, the four things I would grab are:

A Condor brand combat machete. It's hardened stainless steel with a sharp, capable edge that I've tested thoroughly. Good grip and has a non-sharpened edge for splitting stuff.

A Dead-On brand demo hammer. Designed to eliminate nearly all shock and light weight, with a majority of that being in the head. Also a good rubber grip.

A CRKT brand knife which I've had for years. Bought it before they ran out of the steel they were using and switched to a lesser steel. Heard an anecdotal story about a guy who got shot and it hit the same knife I purchased and saved his life.

And finally, I would use a Cold Steel brand Assegai spear with a short haft. I've seen it pierce car hoods and retain it's deadly sharpness before.

I should mention that the knife I carry wouldn't be the only one. Ideally, I would carry a back up knife and even a folder knife. I would also take things into consideration like weight and amount of time I'll be out and what I plan on doing at that moment. But that is my general list of things I own. I have another list entirely for weapons I would like but don't have.

I wouldn't expect a 22 rifle to do anything to anyone unless you were snuggling up to them. I work with people who've been shot in the ass with a .223 and walked out of the woods. Drunk hunting is never safe. I understand the mobility associated with a pistol and the weight for a 22, but the power in the 22 isn't really there. You'd be better off to get an AR or other variant that fires 9mm rounds. That way you have plentiful ammo with a decent punch and marginally better accuracy than a short barrel pistol. Personally I prefer the punch packed by larger caliber rounds like the 5.56 and 7.62 and as much as I'd want to use a GPMG it's unrealistic. It'd be awesome though. However, something like my aforementioned Tar-21 packs a punch, is light, and because of the bullpup construction is shorter than most traditional AR style rifles. .223 rounds are safe to be fired in a 5.56 chamber because the only true difference is the lead into the barrel for pressurization meaning you get two types of bullets you can use, a military surplus 5.56 and a hunting .223 both of which are some of the most available rounds out there that can kill something at 300 meters or farther time after time.

I wouldn't expect a 22 rifle to do anything to anyone unless you were snuggling up to them. I work with people who've been shot in the ass with a .223 and walked out of the woods. Drunk hunting is never safe. I understand the mobility associated with a pistol and the weight for a 22, but the power in the 22 isn't really there. You'd be better off to get an AR or other variant that fires 9mm rounds. That way you have plentiful ammo with a decent punch and marginally better accuracy than a short barrel pistol. Personally I prefer the punch packed by larger caliber rounds like the 5.56 and 7.62 and as much as I'd want to use a GPMG it's unrealistic. It'd be awesome though. However, something like my aforementioned Tar-21 packs a punch, is light, and because of the bullpup construction is shorter than most traditional AR style rifles. .223 rounds are safe to be fired in a 5.56 chamber because the only true difference is the lead into the barrel for pressurization meaning you get two types of bullets you can use, a military surplus 5.56 and a hunting .223 both of which are some of the most available rounds out there that can kill something at 300 meters or farther time after time.
I have to disagree.

The 22's are my utility\auxiliary guns.

If I HAD to choose, which I probably wouldn't after a short amount of time collecting supplies, I'd obviously go with the 9mm rifle.

But I don't gotta choose, so why not pick up that little Walther p22 and those 100 round boxes of ammo that can fit in your pocket.

A little 22 pistol would serve you well in many situations.

Also, no matter what people tell you about the 22, they aren't fun to get shot with, and will easily kill you in the right conditions. In fact, since they travel at a relatively low speed, they tend to tumble and bounce around in the wound.

Now, a 22 rifle would be almost indispensable. Lightweight, quiet, and shoots lightweight, plentiful ammo; the perfect rifle for stalking around and hunting small game without attracting unwanted attention.

And, again, a 22 to the head will kill you, in most circumstances.

Last edited:
The go to answer by the book, not even lying here, is a crowbar or axe. Both are great bludgeoning tools and are fantastic at opening doors or other things that need to be opened, ie zombies heads. Nonetheless! I will always stick by my M4 No1 Enfield. Ammo scarcity is irrelevant because I can't get bullets for the damn thing now. But I mean it's from 1941 and cycles rounds better than a IWI Tar-21 so I can't just say no to it.
I think I found my slightly-less-evil twin.

My No4 SMLE (the spike bayonet would be absolutely lovely in this scenario, too. I'd be using this mostly for taking down game, however) and my TAR-21 would absolutely be my go-to weapons. Well, I'd also have a hard time saying no to my CZ-858/ Vz 58, but corrosive ammo with little chance to properly clean it makes me a sad man. I'd consider my SKS, but I'd rather have one that shoots straight, because I'm pretty sure whoever owned mine last adjusted the front sights to take down airliners instead of infantry.

For stabby good times, I'd keep my KA BAR handy for utility purposes, and have my "tactical spear" for poking out zombie's eyeballs/ brain matter, prying open stuff, and keeping wild animals at bay.

UC2961.JPG

It's short, light, and is crazy sharp.

EDIT: On the topic of .22LR, those little bastards are absolutely lethal up close. They actually have the same destructive potential as a .45 if you shoot somebody in the head with it, because it has enough energy to pierce skull from one side but not enough to exit in a lot of situations, but it will bounce around in the head a bit, which needless to say doesn't bode well for your thinking sauce.

Also keep in mind they're used in vermin control a lot, so it's a mistake to think of them as inadequate. A .22LR would be fantastic for close range protection or even small game hunting, and the small round size means you can carry a boatload of them without issue.