Poll: Expanding Roleplay Genres

Is Iwaku ready to expand the genre categories?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
My admin senses are tingling, suggesting that Iwaku might be at the right growth point to expand our roleplay Genre forums. We've had some confusion for people about which IC section is right for their roleplays, especially for ones that are of a unique or mixed genre. In comparing Iwaku to other Roleplay forums of similar sizes, we're the tops for organizing our OOCs and ICs, but we're lacking RP sections considered "standard" on most multi-genre rp sites.

Upside: Our organization will be SPOT ON. It'll be even easier to find the right kind of genre you're looking to play in as threads will be marked more specifically. Possibly bring out more variety in roleplays as people will be inspired by the choices.

Downside: Sections might look a little empty while Iwaku grows in to the new categories, Unless members are ready to jump in and create new rps right away. And some members are all googlie eyed about changes.

THE NEW IC CATEGORIES WOULD BE:
Fantasy - Traditional Fantasy Settings
Modern Earth - Modern, Present Date Settings
SciFi Earth - Futuristic Earth Settings
Space SciFi - Space Travel Settings
Historical - Historical, In the Past Settings
Otherworld - Travel between multiple worlds, times, dimensions
Miscellaneous - Anything unusual or with special play styles.
Quickfire - CBOX Rp logs and OOCs
Mature - Adult settings

With this we would obviously update the OOC prefixes to match the new forums. And so it won't be a huge block of forums, we'd separate the IC forums from the OOC/archive sections with new categories. ("Roleplay Central" would split in to "In Character" and "RP INFO" respectively.)

TO ANSWER THE QUESTION OF "FANDOM" AND "DND" FORUMS:
We wouldn't make categories for these as they can fit in to any of the above categories. These are considered "sub" genre and not a main genre.

VOTE IN THE POLL IF YOU THINK IWAKU IS READY OR NOT.

I personally think now is a good time to go for it. We'll have the winter season to settle in, then be all ready for the spring/summer active season. This upcoming year is predicted to be very good for Iwaku growth. :D

*has terrible, terrible flashbacks*

I personally don't think Iwaku is built for that many genres. Each of them would need a well-established fanbase which is not evident at the moment. For example, we don't have that many history buffs that I know of. Nor have we had many successful "Otherworld" RPs to date.

If there were distinct and active fanfiction/discussion groups for each area, then I would say go for it. But right now... NO. Those boards will be under-represented and just stretch the Index page and put off members.

Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong. :)

And I love to love proving you wrong. >:D

I am agreeing that it was bad for Iwaku in the past... it wasn't ready for the extra categories back then. It didn't have a large enough player database. D: But I think Iwaku has grown enough and it's projected growth over the next year will make it all possible.

Are we creating new boards for each? I'm all for more specific genres areas though~

I am going to shock everyone, except Diana, and agree with Asmo. I think that the forum is sized just right for the RPs we have now and unless there is an explosion in the next three months, I don't feel it's time yet for so many categories that might have only one RP in them. Let us be frugal and wait until the child's pants are starting to look like high waters before we by them new pants.

Little early isn't it?

Do we really have that broad a range of games running just now that we require so many different sub-forums?

It just seems like it would be so much more cluttery with more genres to choose from.

Modern Earth really doesn't seem any different from regular old Modern... I can see how the separate Sci-Fi's would be useful, though. That's really the only genre modification I can agree with.

Whatever the majority or mods decide, though... I and the other "googlie-eyed" members will deal with the changes.

I'd say give it a chance. What do we really have to loose? I mean, if we don't like it, changes can always be made. It's not set in stone.

I like the sound of it. Go for it. ^.^

Mmmm... i feel like a party-pooper, but im going to have to vote no. :) Its not that i don't like Iwaku, though.

Right now, not many Roleplays have started. Well, yes, the ones that have started are overtflowing with replies. But, there is a few categories that are empty, or practically empty. Lets wait a bit, let those categories fill, see how well the flow of Roleplaying goes, then make a final descision. In time, i definitially believe Iwaku will be able to expand. It's good to build a strong foundation before growing upwards, as i always say. ;)

HEY RORY! LETS MAKE A HISTORICAL RP WHERE SOME JEWS END UP FIGHTING ALONGSIDE SABOTEURS IN WW2-NORWAY! JUST.....JEWS WEREN'T ALLOWED IN BEFORE THE WAR, SO.....I'M SURE IT'LL BE FINE!

NO! JEWS AND VIKINGS GETTING TOGETHER IN MIKLAGARD(KONSTANTINOPEL)! JA!

.......Modern Earth is always great fun, but wouldn't be a rational choice for a new forum. :(

It could just be called "Modern" you know.... XD typing modern earth was an error on my part... t___t

I'm gonna have to throw my hat in the ring with Asmo and company on this one. My reasons have ultimately been stated my most everyone else in Camp No.

NO! XD IMO (the correct one) Iwaku already has way too many genres. It should be cut down to 'modern/drama', 'fantasy' and 'science fiction'. You can easily add 'mature' tags to roleplays that will contain nudity/sex and that immediately wipes out the need for that 'mature' section. BTW, a mature section makes the rest of the forum look cheap. Not necessarily this forum, but it has on some forums. Also, what is misc? It's such a silly concept. Just throw the roleplay in the modern/drama section. It'll be grand. Quickfire... I don't even know. It's as bad as having an 'Arena' section XD Yeah, I think that if people are going to have that sort of roleplay then they could just as easily do it over msn. Less sections=more traffic=RESULT.

I'M JUST SAYING.

So yeah.... don't add all of that new stuff, PLEASE xx

EDIT: In case I didn't stress it enough, Iwaku really doesn't have half as many active members that one might assume. Furthermore, do all of the existing members roleplay? If so, how many roleplays have they joined? It's usually a maximum of three. Also, there aren't that many active roleplays. I think there's probably about ten or eleven active ones. What we have right now is enough for the traffic the site is enjoying. Anymore would make the place look desolate. Iwaku needs to cut off it's loose ends before it starts sewing new ones. I'd like to point out at this time that the 'IWAKU WORLD' section hasn't been used for nearly a week.

JUST SAYING.

All of this constructive criticism is coming from a good place. I do care about the site.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!! THE NEW EUROPEAN GUY MAKES A SECOND ROUND KNOCKOUT ON DIANA AND HER.....FOLLOWSHIP! HOORAY! LONG LIVE THE NEWBLETS!

I am kinda mixed on the subject. On one hand our current roster of categories aren't getting the action I would think necassary to expand. on the other I think that expanding the categories will clean it up, less RP's per category. If you ahdn't noticed the current categories are littered with dead RP's. Ultimately i say yes.

I say try it. Nine times out of ten, everyone is shouting Noooooo, but once you get used to it, you don't care anymore. I would recommend trying to maybe focus on fixing up the Sci Fi area, or add a Sci Fi/Fan board within the main one, since that seems to be a growing field.

*Kicks Chaos because he doesn't log in enough to have an opinion*

Ha, that's Moka in Rory's new signature! >u<
Well, I honestly think we have enough genres at the moment, but I wouldn't really mind either way.
Although it might be nice to have the "Otherworld" category. ^^

No parody genre? Meh, now that'd be one that might be different enough to work.. But eh those ones listed really aren't all that different from what we have, they're more specific though.

So I vote no. No need for it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.