Poll: Expanding Roleplay Genres

Is Iwaku ready to expand the genre categories?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm ah... I didn't realise that the perv section also had privacy masks enabled. Fair enough.

And yeah, about 'drama', it was for lack of a better word. I think that saying 'modern' disregards the inclusion of 'historical'. We basically need a word that defines that the section is for modern, historical and non magical roleplays. Nothing springs to mind at the minute.

I can agree with a two category increase. And yes Cyberpunk would be the correct word for it.

I'll still be waiting on the sidelines kind of until after Christmas, then I can actually see about making another RP.

Genre expansion is one thing, getting rid of Misc is another. I draw the line there. I'd rather misc remain than bother with nitpicking when the GM thinks a given genre-mixed game is more one thing and the players think of it as another.

*head tilt*However, now that I think of it, "Post Modern"sounds closer to an interesting alternative name for "Misc" when you think about what 'post-modern' actually means. Hmm.

Misc rocks. Don't diss the Misc. We need Misc. Misc misc misc!

If something's got mature content, then people should grow up and not whine about whether it's tagged or not. If they're on this site and they have a fragile mind then they shouldn't be on this site. We don't have time for people who can't appreciate the breadth of artistic endeavour. We don't need a Mature section. We need every roleplay to be 'mature' in the true sense of the word.

'Cyberpunk' is not the same as Sci-Fi Earth, so don't call it Cyberpunk. And dividing Space Sci-Fi from Earth Sci-Fi is like dividing High Fantasy and Low Fantasy. The core concept is the same, just with different thematic threads. Same with Historical - I doubt anyone but Rory or Ryker could make something 100% historically accurate, so you might as well just call it 'Fantasy' for all the liberties people are going to take.

The genres we have reflect broad mental states - thinking about the present (MODERN), thinking about the future (SCI-FI), thinking about the past (FANTASY), and thinking about all of them and none of them at once (MISC).

*headbutts a puppy*

Misc rocks. Don't diss the Misc. We need Misc. Misc misc misc!

If something's got mature content, then people should grow up and not whine about whether it's tagged or not. If they're on this site and they have a fragile mind then they shouldn't be on this site. We don't have time for people who can't appreciate the breadth of artistic endeavour. We don't need a Mature section. We need every roleplay to be 'mature' in the true sense of the word.

'Cyberpunk' is not the same as Sci-Fi Earth, so don't call it Cyberpunk. And dividing Space Sci-Fi from Earth Sci-Fi is like dividing High Fantasy and Low Fantasy. The core concept is the same, just with different thematic threads. Same with Historical - I doubt anyone but Rory or Ryker could make something 100% historically accurate, so you might as well just call it 'Fantasy' for all the liberties people are going to take.

The genres we have reflect broad mental states - thinking about the present (MODERN), thinking about the future (SCI-FI), thinking about the past (FANTASY), and thinking about all of them and none of them at once (MISC).

*headbutts a puppy*

*Purrpurrpurrpurrpurrpurr*

IWAKU: Stop spamming the thread!

*Puuuuuuurr*

Hmm, Asmoo does make some excellent points about Past, Present and Future... D: Changes my perspective a bit.

(For me) it just comes back to whether or not Iwaku has grown enough to add in extra genre for the really popular ones for the organization purposes... Now I'm kinda waffling about it, cause I kinda like the idea of naming the forums "Past", "Present" and "Future" + Misc. >>; Cause it's something different than what most roleplay forums do, yet makes A LOT of sense. It's simple and easy to understand. And then maybe using the prefixes in the OOC with a larger variety of genre for easy searching the kinda genre you want to play in, instead of extra genre forums.

But that might drive the mod who has to clean up old RPs and ICs a little crazy? XD

So give it to a mod that's already crazy and likes to organize things for pleasure and profit.

Labelling them "Past", "Present" and "Future" will cause more confusion. Fantasy can be set in the future, Steampunk can be set in the present, and Star Wars can be set in the past. The current genres work because they instantly give an impression of what kind of characters and tropes are acceptable, plus they have connotations with exisiting stories and films. On a conscious or subconscious level, people know the rules of these genres. The rules about Past, Present and Future are a little less clear. "Past" implies historical accuracy. Future implies historical extrapolation. My point about genres reflecting mental states is not something than can easily be communicated through a board title.

*pulls the plug on the puppy's life support*

I don't like the past/present/future idea.

JUST SAYING.

EDIT: Besides, I rigged the poll yesterday so that the bad guys would win and get the extra sections. Completely for artistic purposes.

THE NEW IC CATEGORIES WOULD BE:
Fantasy - Traditional Fantasy Settings

What, there's a such thing as modern fantasy? *looks below*

Modern Earth - Modern, Present Date Settings
SciFi Earth - Futuristic Earth Settings
Space SciFi - Space Travel Settings
Historical - Historical, In the Past Settings
Otherworld - Travel between multiple worlds, times, dimensions
Miscellaneous - Anything unusual or with special play styles.
Quickfire - CBOX Rp logs and OOCs
Mature - Adult settings

Apparently not.

I liked how Iwaku was set up way back in the 2.0/3.0 days (and now), where it was simple and succinct. It seems like the main problem is specificity (yes, it's a word; go look it up if you don't believe me). All that needs doing, in such an instance, is to set up a couple sub-boards at the top of each topic. If an RP falls into one of those specific topics, put it under. If not, then put it in the general area. If you don't know, then put it in the general area or, better yet, ask an experienced RPer/staff member and they'll likely help you put it in the right place. Simple as that.

And while we're talking about changing the board looks, I think it's better to have the OOCs at the top of each of their respective boards as a sub-board. It's more comfortable that way.

Oh, and for all of you who love categorizing things...I have a grey area curve ball for you. Categorize this. >:3

Set far in Earth's future on Earth. Technology has asploded into such a wide array that pretty much anything is possible with it. However, true magic (not the fake card trick stuff that we have now) has also been discovered not too long before the story starts. Though it has been outlawed, magic is still being experimented with. Story is about a band of outlaw magicians that try to overthrow the government and start a new society based on magic.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY "YES" VOTES AND SO MANY "NO" POSTS?

WHO ARE ALL THESE FACELESS PEOPLE VOTING "YES"?

*rattles the cages*

>:[

Now now, Asmo. ^_^

Most people don't have the urge to rattle about why their opinion is better than others.

So until I have to respect that:

SHOW YER FACES! ARSELICKERS OF DIANA'S AGENDA!

Logic! Logic! Logical decisions! At least get rid of Quickfire before more RP-forums are added. While it's mostly all talk when it comes to Chat-RPs, this is not a plead to get rid of the roleplaying-room in the Cbox, we do have a crowd for that kind of RPs, but it's still all talk. You can't wait around for Asmo to make another of his "AWSMCHATRPS". And whenever a chat-RP actually does go down, this forum doesn't seem to get any love.

And eh, unless your specificity is extremly ticklish Celc, that one would just go into Misc.

Oh, and for all of you who love categorizing things...I have a grey area curve ball for you. Categorize this. >:3

Set far in Earth's future on Earth. Technology has asploded into such a wide array that pretty much anything is possible with it. However, true magic (not the fake card trick stuff that we have now) has also been discovered not too long before the story starts. Though it has been outlawed, magic is still being experimented with. Story is about a band of outlaw magicians that try to overthrow the government and start a new society based on magic.

That's a Sci-Fi Fantasy. XD Goes in Sci-Fi or Misc. Cause it's future Earth + magic. >:D

I agree with removing Quickfire. D: I think we could just as a prefix for the OOCs for people to search cbox plots, since chatrps aren't that popular.

what if we are undecided due to a small knowledge barrier that being as my emotional status has been wavy to say the least.........how would we respond to this poll?????????

:D

We're closing the poll now! :D

I'd like to thank everyone for voting and sharing their opinions!

We've decided not to add any additional forums yet. We'll wait until a future date when forums are overflowing. We've removed the unused quickfire forum. And to help expand and inspire with a larger selection in the OOC with prefixes instead. This should help people browsing the OOCs find specific genre they're looking for without adding additional forums to scroll through and look empty on the index.

As a side note: If you'll look at the descriptions of the Fantasy, Modern, and Sci Fi forums we added "Past" "Present" and "Future" to give people a hint of the proper place to put their IC thread without renaming the forums themselves. You can help members and staff find your IC threads easier by making sure you add a link to it in your first OOC post - AND ALSO - adding a link back to your OOC in your first IC post.

P.S. Keep track of your roleplay threads with Subscriptions.

We hope this makes a happy compromise. >:D

This is a grand day and a small victory for me and my conservative affiliates!

HOORAY!

So the only ideas that got taken onboard were mine and Torsty's.

And the vote was 29 to 16 but we're still ignoring it.

This is a great day for Europe and non-democracy.

Democracy's over-rated; fuck it's shit.

ALL HAIL OUR GLORIOUS DICTATOR. DEATH TO ALL DISSIDENTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.