Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon!

Oh.

Yeah no, I think it was just trying to say "look at the wonderful history of pokemon! Look at all these generations! This is the next chapter in that history, the next generation!" essentially.

And seeing as how it's the 20th anniversary year and all, I'm really not surprised that most of their marketing for pretty much everything is coming in from that nostalgia/"look how far we've come" angle.
Yea, it does make sense.
But I got hopeful for a second. :(

Figured after 20 years there'd tackle something big (not including the Ap), and some another recycled game.
*I'll fully admit to never beating Aqua Sapphire just cause the repeated nature has finally worn itself out on me, unlikely to buy this newest game unless if it does something amazing.

Maybe GenVII will have more Legendaries than GenVI. Cus last gen was really dry on the legendary front.

Maybe GenVII will have more Legendaries than GenVI. Cus last gen was really dry on the legendary front.
I for one like that they kept the legendary count relatively small last gen. Overloading it really cheapens the significance of legendaries.

Also, Gen VI gave us six legendaries if you count the event ones, compared to five in Gen I, and I'm pretty sure every subsequent generation gave us a larger number of new legends... I really like that they decided to stop that trend from snowballing even further. @_@

Also, Gen VI gave us six legendaries if you count the event ones
I would assume event one's don't count because they require people to go out of their way a good amount, not in-game but in real life to obtain them.
It's not part of the base game, so I wouldn't treat it as being in it. It's DLC, but instead of money directly it's gas money and lost hours.

I would assume event one's don't count because they require people to go out of their way a good amount, not in-game but in real life to obtain them.
It's not part of the base game, so I wouldn't treat it as being in it. It's DLC, but instead of money directly it's gas money and lost hours.
:/ It still means more dex slots that are a hassle to fill up.

Just getting all of the normal legendaries from Gen III, IV, and V was annoying enough, but it's the ridiculous amount of event-only Pokemon that were really hard to get...

Plus, the method of obtaining them really doesn't matter much in the sense of just them being a thing. "Legendary Pokemon" used to mean something a lot more important than it does now. The more of them that there are, the less that the concept of them overall seems to matter. It would be one thing if they just added a consistent number of new legendaries each gen (to keep it more-or-less proportional to the number of Pokemon overall), but when they keep adding more and more of them each time... yeah. :/

I mean, from each generation to the next, you have...
Gen I - 4 legends (5 with events)
Gen II - 5 new legends in addition to the previous existing 4/5 (6 new legends with events)
Gen III - 8 new legends (10 with events)
Gen IV - 9 new legends (13 with events (and counting Manaphy as event))
Gen V - another 9 new legends (13 with events)

So you can see what I mean about the snowball effect (which I'm glad they put an end to).

Also, past Gen III, I couldn't even write this list without checking Bulbapedia, because there are too many legendaries to remember. @_@

:/ It still means more dex slots that are a hassle to fill up.

Just getting all of the normal legendaries from Gen III, IV, and V was annoying enough, but it's the ridiculous amount of event-only Pokemon that were really hard to get...

Plus, the method of obtaining them really doesn't matter much in the sense of just them being a thing. "Legendary Pokemon" used to mean something a lot more important than it does now. The more of them that there are, the less that the concept of them overall seems to matter. It would be one thing if they just added a consistent number of new legendaries each gen (to keep it more-or-less proportional to the number of Pokemon overall), but when they keep adding more and more of them each time... yeah. :/

I mean, from each generation to the next, you have...
Gen I - 4 legends (5 with events)
Gen II - 5 new legends in addition to the previous existing 4/5 (6 new legends with events)
Gen III - 8 new legends (10 with events)
Gen IV - 9 new legends (13 with events (and counting Manaphy as event))
Gen V - another 9 new legends (13 with events)

So you can see what I mean about the snowball effect (which I'm glad they put an end to).

Also, past Gen III, I couldn't even write this list without checking Bulbapedia, because there are too many legendaries to remember. @_@
I'm not arguing that later generations don't have a snowball issue, they definitely do.
I will note though, part of the reason we might remember the older ones better is also due to Nostalgia.

I'm just saying when evaluating the game for the majority of players we shouldn't be including event only. Because almost no one is going to ever reach them due to the barrier involved unless if they're rather fanatic about catching them all.

I'm not arguing that later generations don't have a snowball issue, they definitely do.
I will note though, part of the reason we might remember the older ones better is also due to Nostalgia.

I'm just saying when evaluating the game for the majority of players we shouldn't be including event only. Because almost no one is going to ever reach them due to the barrier involved unless if they're rather fanatic about catching them all.
:/ Eh... even as a kid, I still acknowledged the event legends as, you know... legends. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the distinction mattered even less to me. (And, mind you, my childhood memories of Pokemon are pretty much from Gen III and IV, so it's not like there weren't already a ton of legends on the table by then). Plus, I thought about it less in terms of gameplay and more in terms of just the overall lore -- which doesn't put much of a distinction between the types of legends at all. Each new gen that came out, the less that legendaries seemed to matter... By the time that Gen V came out, there were quite a few from both that and Gen IV that I kept forgetting existed. @_@

Also, wouldn't casual players be even more likely to think that there are too many legendaries, given that there are fewer that they'd even go out of their way to encounter? So finding out that there are still more just seems... excessive? And cheapens the ones they already knew about?

But anyway, lots of fans are more serious about the games -- and even before I decided to take on the challenge of actually catching 'em all, I still thought the number of legendaries was kind of ridiculous as of Gen V. >_>

Also, wouldn't casual players be even more likely to think that there are too many legendaries, given that there are fewer that they'd even go out of their way to encounter? So finding out that there are still more just seems... excessive? And cheapens the ones they already knew about?
Depends on how much they focus on catching them all, and how much they focus on just playing the game.
Most people I've met just care for playing the game, so they don't have much reason to look at events.

In which case the number of legendaries is more controllable.
Still snowballed in later Gens, but not as snowballed as it'd be if events got included.

Depends on how much they focus on catching them all, and how much they focus on just playing the game.
Most people I've met just care for playing the game, so they don't have much reason to look at events.

In which case the number of legendaries is more controllable.
Still snowballed in later Gens, but not as snowballed as it'd be if events got included.
>< But my point was, even when I didn't care so much about catching 'em all, and I was just a kid, playing casually, I still acknowledged event legendaries as part of the lore, hardly distinguishing them from normal legendaries -- and it still seemed, with each subsequent gen, that the concept of legendaries was being continuously cheapened as they added more and more of them.

>< But my point was, even when I didn't care so much about catching 'em all, and I was just a kid, playing casually, I still acknowledged event legendaries as part of the lore, hardly distinguishing them from normal legendaries -- and it still seemed, with each subsequent gen, that the concept of legendaries was being continuously cheapened as they added more and more of them.
Oh, I was looking at more of a gameplay perspective. :/
Yea, I'd agree lore wise it's a problem regardless.

the idea of Legendaries was cheapened immensely by the Literal god pokemon Arceus.

The dumbest thing ever. I really hate Arceus immensely.

So no, I don't think more legendaries cheapened it, since it kinda makes sense that each region has their own myths and lores to which those legendaries are part of.

You also gotta consider that certain legendaries aren't really legendaries at all but super rare pokemon. Latios and Latias for example.

Shit, who's cutting the nostalgia onions?

My first was a half-translated pirate-copy of Gold. I loved it and had a great team! I had Scout and FlyGl that I remember the most, and even though I couldn't read the Japanese, I had a lot of fun and even beat the Elite Four! For me, this video seems like a huge international "Thank you" to everyone who's played, no matter when they got into Pokemon, and for me, it felt like a really great way to learn about the newest generation.

It makes me want to play more of X and AS.

Reactions: Mu
My first Pokemon games were Red, Blue, and Yellow. My father had all three on an emulator on his computer and I would play them on the weekends he had me. Bulbasaur was my first starter but Yellow was my favourite because Pikachu was the starter and I adored Pikachu as a seven year old (I still do.) However, I didn't own a game myself until HeartGold. I also have Black and I played Y when my roommate lent me his copy and his 3DS while I was stuck in bed for a week. I will probably buy both Sun and Moon (starting with Moon) because I'm just that sort of person, but I need to buy my own 3DS first

• Love
Reactions: Mu
You also gotta consider that certain legendaries aren't really legendaries at all but super rare pokemon. Latios and Latias for example.
Um.

I'm almost certain that Latios and Latias count as legendaries.

Just because they aren't the mascots of a game or event Pokemon doesn't mean they're not considered legendary. I don't think I've ever seen a single source not refer to them as legendary until now. O_o

Remember when people thought Rotom was a legendary?

Anyway back to Pokemon Sun and Moon, any ideas what the villainous team's motive will be this time? Better not be some shit like making the sun/moon explode.

Um.

I'm almost certain that Latios and Latias count as legendaries.

Just because they aren't the mascots of a game or event Pokemon doesn't mean they're not considered legendary. I don't think I've ever seen a single source not refer to them as legendary until now. O_o
Mechanically they are.
Lore wise though? I do recall hearing reference to that there were multiples.

Reactions: Darog
any ideas what the villainous team's motive will be this time? Better not be some shit like making the sun/moon explode.
We already got proper criminals, environmental nuts, space nuts, PETA and fashion out of the way...

Privatized Pokemon Centres?

I'd just like to mention.....starting today until the 24th you can get a free Celebi via wireless connections it's lv 100

EDIT: Guess I should mention it's for ORAS and X and Y. Don't think I needed to mention it but just in case it's here.

Last edited:
Mechanically they are.
Lore wise though? I do recall hearing reference to that there were multiples.

Lore wise, there are also multiple Lugias, Mewtwos, and probably several others.

But I don't think that disqualifies Lugia and Mewtwo. XD