Pokemon Sun and Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh... I'm not saying I'd agree with the decision to remove customization, it's just... I didn't think anyone would get that into it that literally everything else about Pokemon suddenly means nothing and the new games aren't worth it. >_>

I mean... you can have your opinion, man, but, like... I'm just shocked that one feature could mean so much.

I mean I probably sound rude now though so feel free to ignore me.
I can actually see where he's coming from. When you can customize your character, even a little bit, I think people start to imprint themselves a bit more on it. Imagine playing a game like Skyrim where you were locked into playing one race and with no appearance customization. The game might be totally solid in all other regards, but it's like "I don't relate to this character as much." Or, something we can all relate to, imagine if Iwaku only let you pick from a small selection of avatars and no signatures.

Plus, looking at that pretty awesome Pokemon tournament thread, I imagine people like to stand out from everyone else with their avatars. Instead of being a 10 year old with questionable fashion sense, you can suddenly appear to be as an ironically overweight hiker who looks like he catches Pokemon to train as much as eat.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I can actually see where he's coming from. When you can customize your character, even a little bit, I think people start to imprint themselves a bit more on it. Imagine playing a game like Skyrim where you were locked into playing one race and with no appearance customization. The game might be totally solid in all other regards, but it's like "I don't relate to this character as much." Or, something we can all relate to, imagine if Iwaku only let you pick from a small selection of avatars and no signatures.

Plus, looking at that pretty awesome Pokemon tournament thread, I imagine people like to stand out from everyone else with their avatars. Instead of being a 10 year old with questionable fashion sense, you can suddenly appear to be as an ironically overweight hiker who looks like he catches Pokemon to train as much as eat.
I'm not saying I can't understand why people like trainer customization.

I'm saying I can't understand why people like it so much that nothing else about the series matters anymore. o__o Like... what about the older games, from before X/Y? There's no customization in those -- hell, the Gen I and some of the Gen II games don't even let you play as a female trainer -- but I still think they're good games and I still play them. o___o Customization is nice, and it would be nice to see it in Gen VII, as well, but it's not so good that I can't see myself doing anything different...

But that's just my opinion I suppose...

I'm not saying I can't understand why people like trainer customization.

I'm saying I can't understand why people like it so much that nothing else about the series matters anymore. o__o Like... what about the older games, from before X/Y? There's no customization in those -- hell, the Gen I and some of the Gen II games don't even let you play as a female trainer -- but I still think they're good games and I still play them. o___o Customization is nice, and it would be nice to see it in Gen VII, as well, but it's not so good that I can't see myself doing anything different...

But that's just my opinion I suppose...
It's kind of what I said, I imagine people just have a harder time getting immersed when they don't feel like the person they're playing as is themselves.

It's not a universal thing, by any means, but I see where people are coming from. I personally whipped out my old copy of Red and my Game Boy Pocket a few years back and played through and still enjoyed it, although I didn't really see much of a difference between that and the newer Black version I picked up a couple years later... I'm going on a tangent.

I'm actually kind of interested in Sun and Moon. The new perspective and pretty graphics and animations is something I've been wanting to see in a game for a while now. I'll probably get Sun, because Floofy Klan Lion looks way cooler than Derpbat Xtreme.

^ You clearly stated that the new games would need to have trainer customization for you to consider buying them.
Under the assumption they followed their status quo and made it mainly the same formula.
You said that it's a case of "well if the new games don't have anything new then what's the point?" when they'll definitely have new stuff... we just don't know what it is yet...
Eh... Even as a Pokemon fan I have to admit that Pokemon has become the Call of Duty of Nintendo.

They do technically change, but the change is minimal, just scraping the surface enough to get away with being a new game.
Like I might rip on other Nintendo titles like Zelda and Mario for reusing the same basic story over and over and over again, but they at least have vastly different gameplay per instalment.

Pokemon? The Graphics get a boost and now TM's are easier to use...
I mean, it's nice. But it feels more like I'm downloading mods.
And even though you said you'd overlook that if there was "something huge",
So when I say "something huge" in regards to Pokemon what I really mean is "Show me this is really a new game. And not just an engine update".
it basically says "trainer customization is so good that Sun/Moon would need to do something amazing to make up for the lack of it if it isn't present"
So basically what I'm trying to say (and NOT debate >:C) is that pokemon advanced very slowly, even in generation jumps. And after spending the majority of my childhood with it? I'm tired of the same formula... :/
The customization though at least gives me a way to immerse myself into it, which even if Mechanically it doesn't change much it keeps me invested a while longer for reasons @Dervish already explained.
I also have no idea what Fantasyball has to do with the conversation at hand.
Discipline. :P

Last edited:
Eh... Even as a Pokemon fan I have to admit that Pokemon has become the Call of Duty of Nintendo.

They do technically change, but the change is minimal, just scraping the surface enough to get away with being a new game.
Like I might rip of other Nintendo titles like Link and Mario for reusing the same basic story over and over and over again, but they at least have vastly different gameplay per instalment.

Pokemon? The Graphics get a boost and now TM's are easier to use...
I mean, it's nice. But it feels more like I'm downloading mods.
So when I say "something huge" in regards to Pokemon what I really mean is "Show me this is really a new game. And not just an engine update".
So basically what I'm trying to say (and NOT debate >:C) is that pokemon advanced very slowly, even in generation jumps. And after spending the majority of my childhood with it? I'm tired of the same formula... :/
I strongly disagree -- but I don't feel like debating it right now.

I guess I'll just drop it for now.

BRINGING THIS BUS BACK AROUND

phb09ei3cc2qbwe.gif

THIS LITTLE FUCKER JUST ASSURED A SALE.

Well, if I do end up grabbing this one...

*Looks at Moon*
*Looks at Sun*

Do I even have to say which edition I'd get?

Last edited:
AHH fuck I am going with a water starter like per fucking usual

I was like "Look at the dumb little shit. He looks terrible with that nose."

Then.. I saw his animations... Fuck me, I need one in my life.

#TeamMoon
#SorrySun
#RowletSquad

Reactions: Klutzy Ninja Kitty

Japanese trailer if anyone hasn't seen it.
There's a rumor going on around at 0:24 where you can see 8 silhouettes up on the wall. 4 are labelled with names.

Are they the gym leaders? o -o

#TeamSun
#TeamMoon
#TeamRowlet
#TeamLitten
#TeamPopplio
#TeamAlola
#TeamLiterallyEverything

AHH fuck I am going with a water starter like per fucking usual

I was like "Look at the dumb little shit. He looks terrible with that nose."

Then.. I saw his animations... Fuck me, I need one in my life.
ikr. Those animations are making my feelings... Complicated.

Also I'm really hoping it evolves into something badass.

EDIT: NO WAIT IT HAS TRADING. GRIND TO BREED CENTER. FUCK A DITTO. GO GTC. GET ALL THE STARTERS. CELEBRATE VICTORY. #GOTTACATCHEMALL

Give the game 5-6 hours after release for people to find the daycare, and then wonder trade will be flooded with starters.

So for those who want multiple, I'd honestly just suggest way a day, then catch some of this regions equivalent of pidgeys to trade for the other starters.
That being said though, be mindful of the badges.

Another juicy rumor going on :oo

Apparently some guy has been digging around in Japanese Pokemon website and found some information on the typing of the starter's final evolutions.

Litten's final evolution might be Fire/Ground - probably related to Hawaiian volcanoes
And Popplio's final evolution might be Water/Fighting - which is pretty unusual.

There's not a lot of fire/ground, so I really wouldn't be mad if that was Litten :P

Status
Not open for further replies.