WRITING Pokemon Platinum Let's Play/Random Team Run

Spammy

Swagolor Approved
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
I'm here because I like Pokemon games.

Although I like Pokemon games and although there's hundreds to choose from in any given game... I don't break out of my own molds all too well. It was Generation IV that taught me that, actually. Going from Diamond to Platinum, I still ended up having a Rapdiash and a Luxray in my main party because those two had worked out so well for me in Diamond. I didn't know it at the time, but the seeds of the random team run were planted there. Seeds that would eventually grow into the tree of knowledge and then I took a bite out of the fruit of the tree of knowledge and the fruit said, "OW WHY WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU WHY DON'T YOU JUST GET A RANDOM TEAM THEN."

So I do! Through methodology I get a list of six Pokemon and then use Action Replay codes to force them to appear at the start of the game. I'll randomize the starter options to any Pokemon with two evolutions through the use of the Ultimate Pokemon Randomizer, which also purports to be able to change trade-based evolutions to something that's possible while you're playing alone on an emulator. In addition to having some other quality-of-life improvements. I'm not actually out to utterly break and randomize the game, just to set up a goofy challenge run. Goofy, but not impossible, as I've already demonstrated with:

Team Don't Call Me Lance:
Lybr3N4.png

and

Team Invasive Species:
HKtER3k.jpg

So with these runs, there is just one rule. The Rule:

The randomly assigned team is the only team I can use in battles.

I can catch other things to put HMs on (and hey, this is Sinnoh! Home of the HM Master, Bibarel!), but I'll only have six friends to beat every battle in the game with.

And because A: I'm a creative person and B: Pokemon in particular encourages the creation of player-generated narratives, I end up turning these into a light Let's Play, or LP. An LP is a screenshot or video playthrough of a game, with creator commentary of some kind. Screenshot LPs in particular can become creative exercises and very well written stories that intertwine the narrative of the game with the created narrative of the author. I love them! Anything that's in quotations or in prose is meant to be actual narration or storytelling anything [in the brackets] is my out-of-character commentary. Me, Spammy, the author, sayin' stuff.

You may also notice some low image quality in the first two updates! This is my first experience with DeSmuME and it took a bit to figure out render settings and image size. I'm not sure yet whether the update schedule will be weekly or biweekly.

I'm not sure what else to say by way of introductions. I suppose it's time for the journey to begin.

001.jpg

Last edited:
002.jpg
003.jpg

004.jpg
005.jpg

"Well that sure was a nature documentary and a half. Might as well tell-"

006.jpg
007.jpg

"DUDE! What did I say about knocking?! We already established you can run up the stairs faster than anyone can react!"

008.jpg

"Barry we get like five channels out here."

009.jpg
010.jpg

"Not necessarily, but go on I guess."

011.jpg

"Uh... why? Also isn't your dad some big important battler? Why don't you ask him for Pokemon?"

[yes his dad is. no i don't get it either.]

012.jpg
013.jpg

"Dodging the question."

014.jpg
015.jpg

016.jpg
017.jpg

"... sigh. Alright I guess I'll go stop him from breaking something."

018.jpg

[ah. nostaliga.]

[what. what else am i supposed to play No More Heroes on.]

019.jpg
020.jpg

"Hey mom- Can you tell me which way Barry went?"

021.jpg
022.jpg

"But was that lake-ways? Trees-ways?"

023.jpg
024.jpg

"I was there and I barely know what this is about."

025.jpg
026.jpg

027.jpg
028.jpg

"Always with the contests. The other one of the five channels we get."

029.jpg

"Yes'm?"

030.jpg
031.jpg

"Y-yeah I know. Trust me I know."

032.jpg

"Thanks mom."

053.jpg

"NOT FREE TO LEAVE, THANKS MOM."

040.jpg
041.jpg

"That thing you do where you don't look where you're running."

042.jpg
043.jpg

044.jpg

"Alright let's see how you like it."

045.jpg
046.jpg

047.jpg
048.jpg

"Oh yeah I was gonna ask- Isn't Barry's dad some big important battler some place?

"Why doesn't he have Pokemon?"

049.jpg
050.jpg

"THERE YOU ARE!"

051.jpg
052.jpg

"You're the one forgetting stuff, how am I late?"

054.jpg
055.jpg

"Apparently for other people since for some reason I can't have any."

060.jpg
061.jpg

"'Sup dude."

062.jpg
063.jpg

"You know there's a problem here."

064.jpg
065.jpg

"Yeah. That whole it's-too-dangerous-to-leave-town-thing."

066.jpg
067.jpg

068.jpg

"Last time you said you had an idea your mom nearly killed me because you almost broke a leg."

069.jpg
070.jpg

071.jpg

"That's... that's your plan."

072.jpg
073.jpg

"Dude you're going to end up running right into something."

074.jpg
075.jpg

076.jpg

"Yeah, I'm right behind you, totally not looking for a stick to whack whatever's about to be chewing on your leg!"

077.jpg

[i uh. screwed up the capture and didn't get someone yelling from off screen. imagine it]

078.jpg
079.jpg

"My friend here thinks he can outrun all the Pokemon and- Waitaminute."

080.jpg
081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg
084.jpg

"Yeah I'm kinda in shock too."

085.jpg
086.jpg

087.jpg
088.jpg

"Y'know he didn't talk to himself as much on TV."

089.jpg
090.jpg

091.jpg
092.jpg

"Yeah? I mean- Apparently my allowance isn't enough to have one."

093.jpg
094.jpg

"I mean yes!"

095.jpg
096.jpg

097.jpg
098.jpg

"I'm with you on this dude."

099.jpg
100.jpg

101.jpg
102.jpg

"...yes sir."

103.jpg
104.jpg

105.jpg
106.jpg

"Wait, what? Dude we were supposed to get into it together!"

107.jpg
108.jpg

"Oh. Thank you!"

109.jpg
110.jpg

111.jpg

[remember this last image]

[it's gonna be ironic]

112.jpg
113.jpg

"So... was that going to be now, or-"

114.jpg
115.jpg

116.jpg
117.jpg

"Hey! This is Barry. Everyone calls me Spamigo. Actually my name's-"

119.jpg
120.jpg

"...Do I just talk too quiet?"

121.jpg
122.jpg

123.jpg
124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg
127.jpg

128.jpg

"Man I can't believe this is happening either!"

129.jpg
130.jpg

131.jpg

"...Our birthdays are like, three weeks apart."

132.jpg
133.jpg

[so it pulls the right description, the right name, and the right cry. but the pokemon graphic is static. interesting.]

134.jpg
135.jpg

"Yeah I'm paying attention I just didn't realize something could be so fluffy."

136.jpg
137.jpg

138.jpg
139.jpg

"Thank you...?"

140.jpg
142.jpg

143.jpg
144.jpg

"Thank you for the Pokemon!"

145.jpg
146.jpg

"Bye! Thanks for bringing the briefcase!"

147.jpg
148.jpg

"Yeah no joke. I thought we were going to get lectured for hours."

149.jpg
150.jpg

152.jpg

"Oh yeah."

153.jpg
154.jpg

155.jpg

"Let's do this, bro!"

156.jpg
157.jpg

"What? Not even going on the offense?"

158.jpg
159.jpg

"You gotta get in there in order to win!"

160.jpg
161.jpg

162.jpg
163.jpg

"Uh. Your turtle seems more sturdy now."

164.jpg
165.jpg

"Wait when did-"

167.jpg
168.jpg

"Wait."

169.jpg

"I lost?"

170.jpg
171.jpg

"...I'm sorry Mareep."

172.jpg
173.jpg

"It really wasn't..."

174.jpg
175.jpg

176.jpg
177.jpg

"Yeah... See you, man."

I have to ask for a bit of forgiveness here. The first few segments I was playing at 1.5x resolution, and should have resized all the images... but missed it and did not notice until I'd already put all the embed codes and man. I don't want to do that again.

178.jpg

The Mareep seemed to have bounced back rapidly after a good night's rest and some fruit slices. Her quiet bleats and downturned tail had Spamigo almost too worried to sleep that night, almost ready just to carry her back to Rowan. But when the morning came she was nosing around his room, and was happy to see him when he finally woke up.

He learned pretty quickly to take care while petting her, after reaching for the doorknob knocked him off his feet. But while he was sitting there dazed Mareep was nuding him, and eventually leaning over him as though the problem was that he was too cold. He didn't want to ask- How would a Pokemon really understand him anyway? But it seemed like the loss yesterday had been forgotten, which unfortunately did nothing to make Spamigo feel any less guilty.

Spamigo hadn't tried to explain anything about what had happened or why this Marrep was following him around and looking for fruit. How much of that was mother's intuition, the town grapevine, or even just talking to Barry's mother, he couldn't say. But if her plan was to wait until he had to tell the story, it ultimately worked.

179.jpg

"You remember yesterday when Barry came running over? Well..."

180.jpg
181.jpg

"Yeah, all of it."

182.jpg
183.jpg

184.jpg

"Yeah why couldn't I have a Pokemon before, again?"

185.jpg

"Do I just need to say thanks or do I need a thank-you card or something?"

186.jpg
187.jpg

"Yeah why can't they just mow the road between towns?"

188.jpg
189.jpg

[i'm just going to cut most of the tutorial text out.]

190.jpg

"I mean, I really should thank the Professor and all. And... you really need a name, don't you? I mean I don't want to just keep calling you Mareep all the time."

191.jpg

"Although you may want to watch out around the house so you don't accidentally short the TV out. Mom would probably throw you in the lake if you made her miss her contests."

192.jpg

"Oh what now?"

193.jpg
194.jpg

"Me too! I guess two's better than one on the road, we can be back in time for-"

195.jpg

"Better than just running through Pokemon to get bit?"

196.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/ji9gzq/197.jpg[/img

"...Barry there's no legendary Pokemon there."

199.jpg

"I know you watched the special where they did the ground scan on the island and it was solid. Josh Bates was in town and everything."

200.jpg
201.jpg

"I mean we've never even seen the Pokemon either."

202.jpg
203.jpg

204.jpg
205.jpg

"Yeah, like everyone was a robot until a magic Pokemon showed up."

206.jpg
207.jpg

208.jpg

"Barry the tourism board put the sign up. We were there. It was only two years ago."

209.jpg

"Huh?"

210.jpg
211.jpg

212.jpg

"It's the off season isn't it?"

213.jpg
214.jpg

215.jpg
216.jpg

[look. just because he had a name. and a unique sprite. and music. i'm sure this is early game flavor and we'll never see this man again.]

217.jpg

"Dude I've been trying to tell you there is. No."

218.jpg

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

219.jpg
220.jpg

"But... but the TV special!"

221.jpg
222.jpg

"Now what're you looking for?'

223.jpg
224.jpg

"Uh... shoes, bag, hat..."

225.jpg

[this is probably my single most favorite text box. in the entire series.]

226.jpg
227.jpg

"You want to go bother him for more stuff now?"

228.jpg
229.jpg

"Yeah but I don't think Pokeballs are that expensive that we need to ask him for any."

230.jpg
231.jpg

232.jpg

"Aaaand he's gone again."

233.jpg
234.jpg

235.jpg

"Maybe I could if they didn't leave all the grass up between towns!"

241.jpg
242.jpg

243.jpg

"Yeah... I... I already know."

244.jpg
245.jpg

"Thanks..."

250.jpg

"It's not that far between towns... Barry's probably gone already."

251.jpg
252.jpg

"Oh, and he already told the professor. I'm always running behind, huh."

253.jpg
254.jpg

"Wait a second..."

255.jpg
256.jpg

257.jpg

"Hey dude."

258.jpg
259.jpg

"Aaaand he's gone again."

260.jpg

"That's Barry. Just kind of sidestep him when he's running and you're fine."

261.jpg
262.jpg

"Yeah, I guess we should get this over with."

263.jpg

The lab was a hum of activity, but none of that seemed to raise Spamigo's spirits any. He stayed firmly behind Dawn as they crossed the main room to where the professor stood waiting, even dragging a half step behind her to try to delay explaining how he lost his first battle.

264.jpg
265.jpg

There was a marked contrast between Spamigo's embarrassed reaction, and Mareep's happy bleating. Notably, the professor only seemed to give any attention to one of them.

268.jpg
269.jpg

Which only made Spamigo's shock easier to read.

270.jpg

[i missed the screenshot. i went with Wilhelmina.]

[Woolhelmina is one letter too long.]

272.jpg
273.jpg

274.jpg

"Y-yeah I know we weren't really-"

275.jpg
276.jpg

277.jpg

"...You think so?"

278.jpg
279.jpg

Wilhelmina seemed cherished enough already, at least judging from the way she naturally settled into leaning against Spamigo's knee.

280.jpg
281.jpg

"...Now you're slightly scaring me."

290.jpg
291.jpg

292.jpg
292.jpg

293.jpg

"Yeah you're on TV."

294.jpg
295.jpg

"I... don't remember if Mareep do."

296.jpg
297.jpg

298.jpg
299.jpg

"That sounds like... a lot of travelling, but... sure."

300.jpg
301.jpg

302.jpg

"Well this thing feels expensive."

303.jpg
304.jpg

305.jpg
306.jpg

[note: meet, not catch.]

307.jpg

"Where do you get these? Or do you have to make them?"

308.jpg

"Well it was... It was fun."

309.jpg
310.jpg

311.jpg
312.jpg

313.jpg
314.jpg

315.jpg
316.jpg

317.jpg

[i mean. not impossible for the rng to put a Chimchar in that slot to make her statement true.]

318.jpg
319.jpg

"Hi. Everyone calls me Spamigo."

320.jpg
321.jpg

322.jpg

"Oh... Okay. Everyone got started before me."

323.jpg
324.jpg

"See ya."

325.jpg
326.jpg

The professor's voice began to boom as the enthusiasm began to infect him. But it was not a contagious enthusiasm, and while Spamigo half-heartedly ruffled the curls of wool on Wilhelmina's head, the professor couln't fail to sense the concerns just beneath the surface.

"Is there something the matter?" He asked, with enthsuiastic booms replaced with a quiet, personal warmth.

"It's just... I don't know how good a Trainer I'm actually going to be," came Spamigo's admission. It wasn't esay to get the words out, but if anyone deserved to hear them it was probably the professor. "I mean, none of it was my idea. Barry's the one who wanted to see you and he's the one who always wanted to do the Gym Challenge and be a Trainer. And after you left, he was the one that wanted to have a battle and..." he paused, choking briefly on a dry mouth and the guilt brought on by glancing down at Wilhelmina. "He won. It wasn't even close, he knew what he was doing and just beat me. I thought... I thought if you knew you'd want to take Wilhelmina back."

Rowan didn't respond immediately, instead dropping to one knee and motioning for the Mareep to come over. She was more than happy to be petted, and didn't even notice Rowan checking her over, apparently satisfied as he rose to his feet again. "She seems no worse for wear. Pokemon aren't as fragile as you're worrying. I did not think that my judgement was incorrect after giving you two these Pokemon.

"And I still do not think that now." He began to smile as he stepped forward, resting one hand on Spamigo's shoulder. "To see you care so much makes me sure that I made the right choice then. Too many care too little. You may lose some battles, but that doesn't make you a bad Trainer and certainly does not mean that you shouldn't be allowed Pokemon. In fact... I've come across some other Pokemon in my journeys that I worry I wouldn't be able to care for like they deserve. I would love for them to have the chance to grow and see the world just like you and Wilhelmina. Spamigo, will you take care of them?"

His surprise was such that he could barely manage an audible answer, but it was nothing less than a yes. Spamigo was almost in a daze as he made his way out of the lab.

337.jpg
338.jpg

"AH! YES SIR!"

339.jpg
340.jpg

342.jpg
343.jpg

"Oh... Thank you."

344.jpg
355.jpg

[rowan's a cool professor.]

356.jpg
357.jpg

"I mean... you can buy them can't you?"

358.jpg
359.jpg

360.jpg
361.jpg

"Lead the way then!"

362.jpg
366.jpg

[tutorial snip.]

372.jpg

"Yeah?"

373.jpg
374.jpg

"Oh... yeah, I should."

375.jpg
376.jpg

377.jpg

[i'm not showing you every thing about healing your Pokemon just because i lost babby's first rival battle.]

[it's because i feel guilty.]

378.jpg

"Any advice on how I do that? Or... I guess I'll just figure it out."

Team Updates are almost never in character. As I said in the introduction, The Rule is that these six Pokemon are the only ones that I can use in battles. So what friends do I have to get through this game?

Wilhelmina:
capture-438.jpg
capture-439.jpg

capture-440.jpg
capture-441.jpg

Yeah, Woolhelmina was one letter too long.

Technically Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos are not on the list of Pokemon I've never used, I got one from the Dream World in White version that made it onto my team.

But nothing in White counts because I didn't like or finish that game.

Reina:
capture-442.jpg
capture-443.jpg

capture-444.jpg
capture-445.jpg

This run also serves as a test for the Ultimate Pokemon Randomizer's ability to change trade-based evolutions to something possible playing emulators. And assuming nothing changes between now and much later in the game, all I need to do is give myself one Dragon's Scale and evolve Reina while she's holding it.

Castellia:
capture-446.jpg
capture-447.jpg

capture-448.jpg
capture-449.jpg

If it was a male Pineco I'd have named him Sting.

Thumbs up to anyone who gets that.

Anomalo:
capture-450.jpg
capture-451.jpg

capture-452.jpg
capture-453.jpg

Because AnamoloCarter is way too long of a name even if it is a reference to Anomalocaris. You can tell that Anomalocaris inspired Anorith because the Claw Fossil you normally ressurect one from is like how Anomalocaris' claws were the first fossils discovered.

Also it looks exactly like one.

Also, the US/UM dex entries for Anorith say that people release them into modern oceans. There is no Jurassic Park equivalent in Pokemon! They let a Rampardos get loose and it knocked a building down!

Sid:
capture-454.jpg
capture-455.jpg

capture-456.jpg
capture-457.jpg

That's a Wrap! Ha ha, ha ha... Wrap's terrible when it's the only move you know. This is how you waste an Attack stat.

Dogu:
capture-458.jpg
capture-459.jpg

capture-460.jpg
capture-461.jpg

Dogu's name is in reference to the Dogu figurines that inspired its design. Ultimately it felt too self-indulgent to name it Hopkins just because I had a Baltoy in my Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fic whose name was Hopkins. He was partnered with a Sableye named Kelly.

If anyone gets THAT reference without Googling it then you get a round of applause.

You may have noticed that the RNG put Wilhelmina into the Piplup spot. Yes, the rival has a Turtwig that will evolve into a Torterra. Karma's probably catching up to me on this one. In my FireRed random team run, I got a Spheal in the Bulbasaur slot. In those games, a level 5 Spheal already knows Water Gun! None of those rival battles were even remotely fair! I just noticed too that, though I wasn't trying for it, I ended up doing another invasive species style run because none of my friends are in the Sinnoh dex.

Oh, and for Trivia: Rowan actually has lines if you somehow grind your starter on level 2 Bidoofs until they evolve!

266.jpg
267.jpg

Unfortunately the check seems to simply be that your only Pokemon is not Turtwig/Chimchar/Piplup. But points for effort, Game Freak.

001.jpg

"Alright well... Guess we should figure out how to tell mom."

002.jpg

"Anomalo which way are you looking? Or are you just looking... everywhere?"

003.jpg

004.jpg

"Hey, Mom."

005.jpg
006.jpg

"Oh. Sweet!"

Later...

007.jpg
008.jpg

"Well it's kinda like this..."

009.jpg
010.jpg

"Really? I, uh, thought this would take longer."

011.jpg
012.jpg

013.jpg
014.jpg

[true facts i did like the Journal feature a lot in this game. it was nice to open the game and get reminded that you beat a gym yesterday.]

015.jpg
016.jpg

017.jpg

"But you got to Hearthome all the t-"

018.jpg
019.jpg

020.jpg
021.jpg

"Aww, well..."

022.jpg
023.jpg

"Yeah, I can do that."

024.jpg

"Hey Barry's Mom."

025.jpg
026.jpg

027.jpg

"Yeah, I think he was heading down the road from Sandgem. Who knows where he is by now."

028.jpg
029.jpg

030.jpg
032.jpg

"I will?"

033.jpg

"I mean, I will!"

034.jpg
035.jpg

036.jpg

"Got it, as soon as I can catch up to him."

037.jpg

"Bye, Mom!"

038.jpg
039.jpg

040.jpg
041.jpg

"If he's even still there. You know how he can run."

042.jpg

"Yes ma'am?"

043.jpg
044.jpg

[I GET IT GAME]

045.jpg

[AT LEAST THIS ISN'T ONE WHERE THERE'S A POTION IN THE PC]

046.jpg

"Oh. Hey Dawn."

047.jpg
048.jpg

[i'm not showing the catching tutorial. it's weird how the catching tutorial comes after you can catch pokemon.]

049.jpg
050.jpg

051.jpg

"Are you going to Jubilife too? Maybe we can- Oh, no, you're leaving. Okay then."

052.jpg
053.jpg

054.jpg

"Alright, we can do this. Doesn't have to be like- NO SID LET HIS POKEMON GO!"

056.jpg

"BAD SNAKE!"

057.jpg
058.jpg

"I think your Starly's okay."

059.jpg
060.jpg

"...Oh! Me. I guess I am a trainer now."

061.jpg
062.jpg

"Well, since you're polite about it."

063.jpg

"She's... she's like a tiny bubble machine on one foot."

064.jpg
065.jpg

"What? Did she use up all the politeness?"

066.jpg

"I mean my bagworm's beating up on your bagworm pretty well."

067.jpg
068.jpg

"And the better bagworm."

069.jpg

"Good luck on that one."

070.jpg

"It's funny, it's not that far and I still don't end up in the big city that often."

071.jpg
072.jpg

073.jpg

[nice touch: Kricketot's available to teach people early about time-of-day Pokemon]

074.jpg
075.jpg

"...You really had to run off on your own?"

076.jpg
077.jpg

"Yeah, they're uh... Rowan gave them to me."

078.jpg

"I was wondering about that! I noticed that none of them were showing up in the Pokedex. Is... it in beta or something?"

079.jpg
080.jpg

"Are... Did Barry say something?"

081.jpg
082.jpg

"Because for the record-"

083.jpg
084.jpg

"Does... does he know we can see him?"

085.jpg
086.jpg

"Oh jeeze he heard that."

087.jpg
088.jpg

089.jpg

"A member of the what now?"

090.jpg
091.jpg

092.jpg
093.jpg

"Extraordinarily loony, maybe. Look, man-"

094.jpg
095.jpg

096.jpg
097.jpg

"...I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anywhere that you have to tell people that you're with Interpol."

098.jpg
099.jpg

"Who actually calls you that?"

100.jpg

"The... Concept is familiar."

101.jpg
102.jpg

"What? Some nerds with bad haircuts are going around trying to steal people's Pokemon?"

103.jpg
104.jpg

"What? This isn't Kanto, man."

105.jpg
106.jpg

"Uh... Thanks?"

107.jpg
108.jpg

109.jpg
110.jpg

"Wait. I don't have to do anything for you now, do I? Because that's how my week's been going so far."

111.jpg
112.jpg

"Called it."

113.jpg
114.jpg

115.jpg
116.jpg

"I guess I'll do that? Aaaand he's leaving."

117.jpg

[second favorite text box in this game]

118.jpg
119.jpg

"All I'm saying is Barry said it was close so he really shouldn't be-"

120.jpg
121.jpg

"Oh. That's... relevant."

122.jpg

"According to my friend, no I do not!"

123.jpg
124.jpg

125.jpg

"Yeah it's... it's right behind you."

126.jpg

"I could read the sign from back there anyway."

127.jpg

"There you are!"

128.jpg
129.jpg

130.jpg
131.jpg

"That was low, dude."

132.jpg
133.jpg

134.jpg

"Yeah, I'm running something for your mom since you decided to bolt before she could give it to you. Nice going."

135.jpg
136.jpg

"Pretty sure we both know you're not actually going to look at that before you go running off."

137.jpg
138.jpg

139.jpg

"Oh. Score."

140.jpg
141.jpg

142.jpg

"What? The place with the mine?"

143.jpg

"Oh yeah. Gyms. I guess we are Trainers now."

144.jpg
145.jpg

146.jpg

"See ya dude. Good luck, I guess."

147.jpg
148.jpg

"Why does everyone try to rub it in that- You know what, thanks."

149.jpg

"It's just a picture of a Blastoise flipping a tank over."

152.jpg
153.jpg

"We're in the same boat then!"

154.jpg
155.jpg

"...Trying to battle a little kid feels worse than I thought."

156.jpg

"...Anomalo those teeth look like they can get through your mineralized exoskeleton."

157.jpg

"To be fair, what do you feed that thing to make its teeth so strong?"

158.jpg
159.jpg

[...]

160.jpg

"I've been battling little kids all day. Sure."

161.jpg
162.jpg

163.jpg

[i didn't get the screenshot but i think he used an X Attack here. my gut says this starly was vicious.]

164.jpg

"It's a bird, not a beaver! You can take it in the exoskeleton this time!"

165.jpg
167.jpg

"What you gave the Starly- Was that even legal?"

168.jpg

"No I think you used it right."

169.jpg
170.jpg

"Well that's because... A professor gave me these."

171.jpg
172.jpg

[...]

173.jpg
174.jpg

"...Why did I just feel a cold breeze washing down my spine whispering the words 'Full Restore'?"

185.jpg
186.jpg

"Oh, what now."

187.jpg
188.jpg

"...Do people actually call it that?"

189.jpg
190.jpg

191.jpg

"Shouldn't you have staff or something to do this?"

192.jpg
193.jpg

"...Clowns."

194.jpg
195.jpg

"Because clowns are known for their Pokemon knowledge."

196.jpg
197.jpg

"So... wait. If I do something for him up front, do I have to do something for him later?"

198.jpg
199.jpg

"Thanks, League rules."

200.jpg
202.jpg

203.jpg

[not showing these. is a nice way to teach people about STAB though.]

204.jpg
205.jpg

"...You don't have three fingers?!"

206.jpg
207.jpg

"Who actually calls it that?!"

208.jpg
209.jpg

"...It's a watch."

210.jpg
211.jpg

"...It's a watch."

212.jpg
213.jpg

"BEEN THERE. DONE THAT. THANK YOU."

214.jpg

"...Huh. Mom always said people in condos are throwing their money away."

215.jpg

"...It's the same as mine but it's in pink."

216.jpg
217.jpg

"Wait, you're a Trainer? ...Why are you reaching for that pan?"

218.jpg
219.jpg

220.jpg

"Can... Can I ask what this used to be attached to?"

221.jpg
222.jpg

"I'm just trying to figure out what this splotch is without touching it."

223.jpg
224.jpg

225.jpg

"To be fair, you're as good a teacher as the actual teachers over there. Maybe better."

226.jpg

"Hmm. Wonder where I should go from here?"

227.jpg

"I'm here..."

228.jpg

"Oreburgh's here... Wonder if you're supposed to pronounce the H in that."

229.jpg

"I guess we can handle this. It's not too long a route."

001.jpg

"Alright, just a quick walk over to-"

002.jpg
003.jpg

"Oh."

004.jpg

"I got a little tougher?"

005.jpg
006.jpg

"We're battling now? Again?"

007.jpg

"We're battling now. Okay."

008.jpg
009.jpg

"Don't let it phase you, Reina! Also don't look at its beak!"

010.jpg
011.jpg

"I know it isn't!"

012.jpg
013.jpg

"Your bird's slow to get on the attack for something so fast."

014.jpg
015.jpg

[truly the real tragedy of Reina having Swift Swim instead of Sniper means I can't post Sniper taunts when things like this happen.]

016.jpg

"Come on, come on, we can do this!"

017.jpg
018.jpg

019.jpg

"Let's go!"

020.jpg

"Gah... Stop doing that! It's just... all happening again... 'Mina won't hold out so I... can't use Tackle."

"DOGU!"

022.jpg
023.jpg

"Think it down!"

024.jpg
025.jpg

"Hah... I won?!"

026.jpg
027.jpg

"Not... not if I have anything to say about it!"

028.jpg
029.jpg

"Wait, weren't you already running off to do that? ...Were you waiting on me or something?"

030.jpg
031.jpg

"How am I the late one all the time if he's wasting time doing this?"

032.jpg

"So uh... Something interesting about those trees over there?"

033.jpg
034.jpg

"Wait, is this a Trainer thing? Am I supposed to tell people who I'm about to use?"

035.jpg

"I only just got into this, I'm legitimately asking."

036.jpg
037.jpg

"Hah! Too predictable for Castellia!"

038.jpg
039.jpg

"The center's just over there."

040.jpg
041.jpg

"But... You were the one who challenged me."

042.jpg
043.jpg

"This is a thing?"

044.jpg

"Uh... GO! WILHELMINA!"

045.jpg

[oh yeah. electric types couldn't not get paralyzed until later.]

046.jpg
047.jpg

"Yeah. It seems kinda goofy to try to have a grudge over Pokemon battles."

"I should try to remember that."

048.jpg
049.jpg

"I'll test mine on you, then!"

050.jpg

"Ah ha ha ha ha trying to trip a featherweight bagworm is never going to work. Let's spread the experience."

052.jpg

"CASTELLIA LEARNED WHAT?!"

055.jpg

"...YOU LEARNED WHAT?!"

056.jpg

"What are those flakes made out of?! Landmines?!"

057.jpg
058.jpg

"Uh, please do not make any loud noises that might disturb Castellia."

059.jpg
060.jpg

"Your exoskeleton is filling in pretty well, Anomalo."

061.jpg
062.jpg

"Excuse me?"

063.jpg

"I'm... just going to assume I heard wrong."

064.jpg
065.jpg

"Oh? What's the Leader like?"

067.jpg

[ignore the emulator text.]

[also her only Pokemon was a Psyduck whose only damaging move is Scratch. more like Liar Madeline.]

068.jpg

"I guess I'll see when I have one. Or more."

069.jpg

"No one ever mentioned the cave on the way."

070.jpg

"...What's the smell?"

071.jpg

"...No it's not you. Uh, no offense."

072.jpg
073.jpg

"W-what awkwardness?"

074.jpg
075.jpg

"Wait wait wait. Before you hand it over: Am I going to have to do a favor for you?"

076.jpg

"Because that seems to be how my life is going."

077.jpg
078.jpg

"I could smash small boulders! I just... left the sledgehammer at home."

079.jpg
080.jpg

081.jpg

"...Does the League put you up to this to make people do the challenge?"

082.jpg

"I could still break these!"

083.jpg
084.jpg

"It is? I missed the brochure. If there was one."

085.jpg

"Was there one?"

086.jpg
087.jpg

"To be fair, she's surprisingly durable for how explosive she can be. Don't shake her."

088.jpg

"Oh. Weird."

089.jpg
090.jpg

"The exit's right there! Why didn't you battle that guy?!"

091.jpg

"You could already be out!"

092.jpg

"...You're not going to explode? Okay. Okay."

093.jpg
094.jpg

"...I can see both entrances from where I'm standing."

095.jpg

"Weird. Wonder what the cave smell was."

096.jpg

"Okay who was the city planner that didn't connect the roads?"

097.jpg
098.jpg

"Yo?"

099.jpg
100.jpg

"How can you tell that?!"

101.jpg

"I'm just following you to humor you, alright?"

102.jpg

"...What, does he just go dormant at times?"

103.jpg
104.jpg

105.jpg

"Why are you still waiting here then?"

106.jpg
107.jpg

"Yeah why didn't you get Pokemon from him? He's probably got some strong stuff."

108.jpg

"Maybe you should run all the way down one train of thought."

109.jpg
110.jpg

"...Did you even tell the Gym Leader I was coming?"

111.jpg
112.jpg

"I'm not doing that."

113.jpg
114.jpg

"Should... Should there be a screen on these things then?"

115.jpg
116.jpg

117.jpg

"I've got a full team, you don't have to worry."

118.jpg

"That sounds dangerous."

119.jpg

"Aren't there eight everywhere?"

120.jpg
121.jpg

"That sounds like a lot of walking."

123.jpg
124.jpg

[agree.]

125.jpg
126.jpg

"Easy to remember?"

127.jpg
128.jpg

"That's a no. Sorry."

129.jpg
130.jpg

"...You may want to ask someone else."

131.jpg
132.jpg

"...The mine's in town, isn't it? It's not that far."

133.jpg
134.jpg

"People are going to do that if you're just running around back and forth because you look like a weirdo. Sorry."

135.jpg
136.jpg

"Does he own it? Or get appointed to run it?"

137.jpg
138.jpg

"Anomalo isn't lumpy! His exoskeleton is sleek!"

139.jpg

"...That's it? Nothing else to add? Okay then."

140.jpg
141.jpg

142.jpg
143.jpg

"...Good news is, someone's probably investigating them. Bad news is... I met them and wouldn't get my hopes up."

001.jpg
002.jpg

"The mountain you can see from most of Sinnoh, connected to the mountain range you're never that far from. Right."

003.jpg
004.jpg

005.jpg

[i look at the map. doubt.]

006.jpg

"Isn't that- Oh, no, your Machop's really into breaking rocks. Okay then."

007.jpg

"Actually I'm looking for your boss. If this ends up as a tour, it's an accident."

008.jpg
009.jpg

"...He's probably at the bottom, isn't he."

010.jpg

"You'd figure there would be a gate or a fence around the mine."

011.jpg

"Alright, we just need to get out before we get black lung or something."

012.jpg
013.jpg

"Wow. My mom would've killed me if she caught me poking Geodudes with a stick."

014.jpg
015.jpg

"That seems... unsafe. By a lot."

016.jpg

[one room of stairs and we're under the ocean. doubt.]

017.jpg
018.jpg

"Did you meet them trying to break rocks with your fists too? Is that how you become friends with Machop?"

019.jpg
020.jpg

"...Everyone has their Pokemon here."

021.jpg

"TEETH, Sid. Use your TEETH."

023.jpg
024.jpg

"I get the feeling there should be safety regulations against battling in a coal mine, but I don't know them."

028.jpg

"Red hard hat. Feel like this must be the boss."

029.jpg
030.jpg

031.jpg
032.jpg

"...Did your dinosaur really need extra help with breaking rocks?"

033.jpg
034.jpg

035.jpg

"Oh, good, I love being right."

036.jpg

"So do you own the mine or did you get appointed to run it or- You're just leaving, okay."

037.jpg
038.jpg

"So there is no safety regulations against battling in the mine? Or are you just challenging me because the boss left?"

040.jpg
041.jpg

[awkward.]

042.jpg

"So... our first Gym, huh. Probably won't hurt to get more prepared for this."

070.jpg

"Surprised they haven't built up north of their town more."

071.jpg
072.jpg

"Oh? Where's Eternia then? Be a lot faster to do this traveling thing if I had one of those."

073.jpg

"So we're here, with that slope right there. And Eternia is..."

074.jpg

"Well that figures."

075.jpg
076.jpg

"THANK you, finally, use those fangs for something."

077.jpg
078.jpg

"You two can learn to shoot all the beams you want and that's fine by me."

079.jpg
080.jpg

"About my age, blonde hair? Did he run into the door on his way out because he forgot to open it?"

081.jpg
082.jpg

083.jpg
084.jpg

"I have... one of those things."

085.jpg
086.jpg

[these lines are Gamefreak's only warning for you. gym leaders are Serious in this game.]

087.jpg
088.jpg

089.jpg

"I think we got this. Dogu can shoot mind rays out of his forehead and in an emergency I can bowl Castellia at something."

090.jpg

"So kid are we going to battle or...? Fine I'll just come down."

091.jpg
092.jpg

"A mix of wondering why you weren't looking up, and also wanting to train more."

093.jpg
094.jpg

"I'm not a complicated person."

095.jpg

"How do they measure that?"

097.jpg
098.jpg

099.jpg

"Maybe you could impress a Professor and get a bunch of Pokemon."

100.jpg

101.jpg
102.jpg

103.jpg

"I'm Spamigo, from Twinleaf. These are my friends. One of them is mineralized."

104.jpg
105.jpg

106.jpg
107.jpg

108.jpg
109.jpg

"Just like we did with the training, Dogu! Mind rays!"

110.jpg

"What? Just making those stones appear?"

111.jpg
112.jpg

"This'll be faster than I thought."

114.jpg
116.jpg

"W-What?!"

117.jpg

"Oh. That's what the stones are for."

118.jpg
119.jpg

"You can take it, Reina! You're tougher than this!"

121.jpg
122.jpg

123.jpg

"...I'm sorry Reina."

124.jpg

"It was just barely not enough."

125.jpg
126.jpg

127.jpg

"What do you feed that thing? It even took a chunk out of Castellia!"

129.jpg
130.jpg

"You had a third Pokemon. Right."

"Uh... Anomalo won't do much with his scratches... 'Mina can't shock it... Sid, you're the only one left!"

131.jpg

132.jpg
133.jpg

"Use your fangs, Sid! Actually use your fangs!"

134.jpg
135.jpg

"...That was way closer than I thought it would."

136.jpg
137.jpg

"My team!"

138.jpg
139.jpg