Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Anime-esque, sci-fantasy, adventure, cyberpunk, high-fantasy, Victorian fantasy. comedic slice of life
Hello,

I've first worked on an original region about three years ago, so some of these ideas are quite old, but with the recent trailer for the new Pokemon mobile game that SORTA implemented a bunch of ideas I had for this original region, I figured this would be best time to grab a few players. Fair warning: This is still heavily Work In Progress. I'm a slow GM in general, so don't expect this to be kicked off in the next two weeks or so. It'll probably take some time, unless the group that forms really gels and everything kinda works itself out. This is also why this thread is bare bones and not fancified.

SO with the preamble out of the way, lemme lay out the basic idea.

What about the region?

The Occas region is a cultural hodgepodge, and as such, attracts a wide variety of Pokemon. What really seperates the Occas region from most others is their trainer system and Pokemon culture. Occas employs a system called the Pendulum Network. The Pendulum Network is maintained within Pendulum City, which is the cultural hub of the region and is firmly nestled into its geographical center. The Pendulum Network contains information about every licensed applicant and updates their feats, such as battle outcomes or contest participation in real-time. People who wish to battle, coordinate, raise/breed or otherwise utilize Pokemon in any fashion other than friendship (i.e. spending time with wild Pokemon - Not capturing them) MUST be licensed with the proper level.

The following classifications exists:

Professionals: A Professional trainer employs Pokemon in their career. This includes labor (using an Onix in a construction company etc.) or scientific fields, such as the Weather Institute in Hoenn, who utilize Castform in their research. Coordinators also fall under this category, and are the sole profession that may enter battles under specific conditions without also being a Challenger.

Novice: A Novice trainer may capture up to 2 Pokemon and engage in battle or professional activities IF SUPERVISED BY A LICENSED PERSON IN THE FIELD. These are essentially beginner trainers, who are allowed to prepare for their eventual "grown-up" license.

Breeders: A Breeder is a type of trainer who specializes in raising Pokemon in a dedicated setting. As this a special profession that affects living beings, special regulations apply for this profession.

Vanguards: A Vanguard is a trainer that is part of an Alliance. They represent the Alliances in all battles, and enjoy certain privileges solo trainers cannot, such as participation in the Squad League.

Challenger: Challengers are trainers that are officially registered as battling trainers. They are allowed to carry Pokemon freely and engage in battle. They are also allowed to challenge the Pendulum League. Most Challengers are Vanguards, but not all are.

You may ask yourself "What is an Alliance?". Well, Occas' Pendulum League works differently than most regions. Every major town has a Colloseum, in which a Champion waits for challengers. Colloseums consists of stages, and usually require trainers to overcome two strong trainers and specific challenges to succeed in a final battle against the Champion. Because these challenges are rather grueling, Alliances have developed several decades ago, and have emerged as an influential and popular institution. An Alliance can be likened to a guild; There are leaders of guilds, higher ranking members, and the common member. Strength in numbers is a real thing, and some guilds have earned reputations as incredibly powerful. Being a member - even a lower-ranking one - of a popular and strong guild can increase one's social status, whereas smaller guilds' members are sometimes made fun of. Most trainers belong to Alliances, though some don't. Alliances are especially popular because of Occas' unusual laws when it comes to Pokemon and trainers.

First of all, in Occas, Pokemon trainers may only carry up to four (4) Pokemon at a time rather than six. Furthermore, any Colloseum can employ its own rules. Beyond the various obstacles and gimmicks, fights are usually conducted in a 1v1 or 2v2. That means a trainer will have to choose to not utilize at least 50% of their team in any given gym if they are on their own. However, the Pendulum League has regulated a special league, called the Squad League. In this format, three trainers pick one Pokemon each, and fight in what is called a Trio Battle. Every Trainer must list an "Ace" Pokemon on their Network Profile, which will serve as their Trio Battle Pokemon. Because each Colloseum consists of three stages, many groups have emerged to take this challenge on together, as it cuts on the strain of the challenge. As time went on, Alliances gained powerful trainers, and with that, influence. Now, Alliances are immensly important to Occas' ecomomy and lifestyle.

Lastly, the Pendulum League does not employ a stereotypical Elite 4. Instead, the five stronges Alliances, determined by the government and public polls, may nominate one trainer. These trainers are The Elite, and they must accept challenges by trainers that recognize them as such. As this position is not made public, it can be quite hard to figure out. However, if beat, the trainer that has triumphed over them will gain a Star icon on their Network profile. If all five trainers are beat, the trainer is automatically qualified for the Pendulum League in a format of their choice. This has happened only three times in 80 years, however. The most common way to enter the Pendulum League - a massive tournament and spectacle - is through beating eight Colloseums, be it on their own or through the Trio Battle.

What about the story? OOC Stuff?

So, that was the basic concept for what's new. If you're interested, here's a map for Occas I made years ago with Hoen map assets. The blinky bit is Pendulum City.

As for the story, I'm gonna aim for something pretty unusual, because I find this subverts a common issue in these roleplays: Every PC trainer is going to be important before the rp
starts. That means, your trainer will be relevant elsewhere in the world of Pokemon. You can be the relative of a gym leader, you can be a runner up in the Orange League, an assistant of a former region's professor etc. The only restriction here is that you can't be an immediate of even second grade relative of a MAJOR character, so no sister of Brock's, no Ash's wife etc. You know, the common ones.

You may ask "But why not be newbie trainers and start a wonderful journey together?"

Well, because. But also because starting new gives the usual issues. Why are traveling together? Why do you not have a starter? Why are you even here if you're a foreigner (and we're all gonna be non-Occas natives!). Also everyone can have Pokemon they actually like from the get-go! So the basic plot is that this year's Pendulum League has invited trainers with some sort of public profile to participate. This is because the Alliances are in an arms race, where everyone constantly attempts to one-up the other factions. Our characters will be recruited by a decently powerful but not top 3 Alliance, either due to acclaim or by association to a strong trainer. Also hey, Trio Battles actually give a reason to fight together. And lastly the restriction to at most 2 Pokemon in 1 Trainer vs. 1 Trainer battles cuts down the battle time so the rest of the group isn't bored while cheering on the friend.

Lastly, group size will be six. Including me. So five players. This is so we can have 2x3, or 1x3, 1x2, and a solo trainer. Five still works for 1x3 and 1x2, and four works for one trio and a solo. More is too much for too handle and will create downtime, so yeah. I'll be sorta picky with characters and how I feel the writer and character will contribute to the rp. Gosh I'm off-putting aren't I, sorry about that. But YEAH, if you're interested at all, feel free to hop onto my RP discord and ask questions or pitch characters. Link is here!

Reactions: Nav
Call me and teach me about pokemon bb