Original poster
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
This changes too frequently to give anything reliable.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure.
Higher Quality one here, the offical one doesn't like being embed.
So this seems to be getting announced now.
Personally I love the idea, but I don't see it working.
People tried similliar things with toys in the past, and they never sold well.
However that was before cellphones were a thing, and Aps were unheard of.
So this one does have the edge of Pokemon + Aps on Phones.

Though, we still have the issue that visuals which will be lacking, which is what makes most of the epicness of the trailer. That and how much data will it use? This seems to be an AP and requires a lot of travel, which means wandering in and out of Wi-Fi constantly, requiring people to rely in built-in Internet plans, which for some people may not be feasible.​

I'd definitely give it a try if I had a device that could do that kindof thing. I don't know enough about apps and cell phones and such to be able to give an opinion on how successful this will or wont be, but my inner fanboy is spazzing out at this concept, if that counts for anything xD

I really hope it works out, but I'm skeptical for some of the reasons you mentioned. Also concerned with how goofy it may look throwing an invisible pokeball at thin air xD

Like with Star Wars Episode 7, I am also hoping my predictions are false and that this turns out to be really good.

But the mere nature of Mobile Aps combined with how I've seen similar things done in the past does leave me sceptical.

I already rambled about this elsewhere cuz I was a silly Kaga and did not consider the likely possibility of this already having a thread in GC so um:

AAAAAAAH GUYS I ACTUALLY HAVE SOMETHING TO USE CAPS LOCK ABOUT!!!

I mean I know a lot of you guys probably already heard about Pokemon GO, so that's not quite what I'm here to scream about... not by itself.

Rather, what I'm freaking out about is the fact that I FUCKING CALLED IT!!!!

Remember that April Fools thing that Google did a year or two ago with that Pokemon-catching game? And remember how the trailer for it was filled with people running around and capturing CGI Pokemon out in real-world environments, and everyone thought it would be a really cool concept, only for the actual gameplay to be incredibly disappointing and nothing at all like the trailer?

Well I knew it, right then and there, that that dumb little game with its way-too-good of a trailer, would make everyone be like "man, I wish there was a game that was actually like what the trailer showed -- that would've been awesome!" and for like two days that WAS what everyone was talking about, and I thought, at that moment, that all those complaining fans would inspire Nintendo to make a game that actually played like the trailer suggested, and that some disappointing April Fools prank would result in a really cool game just because of how crazy excited people were about it -- kind of like that one time that Cartoon Network brought back Toonami for like just one night as an April Fools prank, which then made them realize how many people legitimately wanted Toonami back and then, a while later, they brought it back for reals because of that.

AND LOOK, POKEMON GO (based on what we know about it so far) IS EXACTLY WHAT PEOPLE WANTED FROM THAT TRAILER.

I mean, JUST LOOK AT HOW SIMILAR THESE TRAILERS ARE!!

And, I know, there isn't a ton of information out about Pokemon GO yet, and we don't have much to go off of besides a trailer that is very similar to an extremely misleading one, so, there is still the possibility that Pokemon GO won't be anything like what we're hoping it'll be, but, not only are there small details in the Pokemon GO trailer that suggest something more along the lines of what we want (the whole "a wild Pokemon is nearby!" thing and having the people actually walk in that direction looks kind of promising... not to mention the trading and battling), but also, Nintendo is working with some company that's known for making augmented reality games like these, and, assuming it is inspired by what happened with the Google Maps Pokemon Challenge, we can only assume that Nintendo would at least make some attempt to learn from it. (OH, AND THE FACT THAT THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE A ONE-DAY THING PLANNED FOR APRIL FUCKING FOOLS DAY IS ALSO A GOOD SIGN.)

But, regardless, the point is, I FUCKING CALLED IT!! I KNEW THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN AFTER THE GOOGLE THING!!!

(Side note: I find it really interesting how pretty much everyone in this trailer is an adult, and all the Pokemon are from Gen I... kind of makes it clear what demographic they're trying to capture, but, hey, that's probably a smart decision on Nintendo's part, honestly.)

Edit: Holy shit wow they even included some super old-school Ken Sugimori artwork recognizable from Pokemon's earliest days. Yeah they are really trying to cash in on some nostalgia here, that much is certain.

3ZHPcCf.jpg

These things like this have been flooding my facebook. So, I'm starting to think this is definitely going to be a pretty big thing.

I'm also curious how the visuals are going to work; if it works using the phones camera and projects ap okemon on it (so that it's like you "see" the pokemon through the phone) that could be cool, but it seems more likely it'll just be a phone game that responds to travel; like ingress for pokemon, which is - obviously - significantly less exciting.

I can only see this having a decent chance of working if they do add the 3DS sprites to the Camera feature.

So at first I'm like OH SHIT A MOVIE?! and then it went to oh...just another thing for phones that I have no interest in, meh...and it became a is this video over? The hell is this shit? And was about to x out when it finally finished.

I've got like no interest in this thing.

I think it would work better as a movie rather than an app

Reactions: Mid
I think it would work better as a movie rather than an app
Except, the whole reason why people are getting hyped about this is because it's as close as we can get to our childhood fantasies of going out and catching Pokemon in the real world, so... yeah, I really don't understand that argument. The appeal of this thing is living it. Whether or not the app lives up to the hype and what the trailer makes it out to be remains to be seen, though... But, if it does turn out to be everything we want from it? Then balls this is gonna be an epic experience. :D

Except, the whole reason why people are getting hyped about this is because it's as close as we can get to our childhood fantasies of going out and catching Pokemon in the real world, so... yeah, I really don't understand that argument. The appeal of this thing is living it. Whether or not the app lives up to the hype and what the trailer makes it out to be remains to be seen, though... But, if it does turn out to be everything we want from it? Then balls this is gonna be an epic experience. :D
yeah the app can only get two result, either win big or lose big~

Oh an AR game? remember how well those go? No? exactly.

I'll still with Pokken Tournament, personally kthnx.

Here's a funny conversation me and Mapelle had

Mapelle: I'm pretty sure
Mapelle: either way I win the damn game because I live near Tokyo
Mapelle: It will be funny to just be trampled by people chasing a legendary through the streets with their phones in front of them, though
Ethel: they be like "gtfo of my way, gotta catch dat ho-oh on the top of Tokyo Tower!"
Mapelle: Oh jesus
Mapelle: "HEY FRENCH PEOPLE LOOK UP AT THE TOP OF THE EIFFEL TOWER, IT'S FUCKIN' ZAPDOS
Mapelle: like the eiffel tower lines weren't crazy enough
Ethel: the pokemon company better prepare some first aid kits
Mapelle: "are you ready to operate, doctor?"
Mapelle: "Yes I a- HOLY SHIT WAS THAT MEW?!"
Ethel: "Doct-"
Ethel: "Dammit, fuck i need to take over this operation!"
Mapelle: *Doctor runs down the hall pulling out his phone and shit*
Mapelle: That would be one hell of a site
Mapelle: *Sight
Ethel: inb4 Regigigas at the grand canyons
Ethel: that'll be something to see lmao
Mapelle: >open a rip in time and space to capture dialga and palkia
Ethel: "Greetings to all Pokémon Trainers! If you wanna catch Rayquaza, you need to go to space and find the ozone layer."
Mapelle: Astronauts will have the advantage here, they probably will have Deoxys, Palkia, Jirachi, and Rayquaza.
Ethel: yep
Ethel: divers would have most of the water pokemon
Ethel: and only God would have Arceus

It seems really interesting, and being a massive Pokemon nerd, I am probably going to get it.

Having re-watched the video I am getting a stronger sense of Nostalgia now.
I'm still unsure about it's likelihood of success though.

It's gonna be a free to play game set in one of the most beloved game series of all time.

The Pokemon Company will have swimming pools full of money by the first week.

Reactions: Absyinthe_Artica
Last night I dreamt that the main gameplay of Pokemon GO was rather disappointing and that it didn't really have much AR built into it. But then there was this thing called "Safari Mode" where you could go out and catch Pokemon in real environments like we all wanted (and I caught a Luxray). Problem was that you could only play Safari Mode for a rather short amount of time each day without microtransactions.

...It's rare for me to have a dream that's so grounded in real-world concerns. XD

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Last night I dreamt that the main gameplay of Pokemon GO was rather disappointing and that it didn't really have much AR built into it. But then there was this thing called "Safari Mode" where you could go out and catch Pokemon in real environments like we all wanted (and I caught a Luxray). Problem was that you could only play Safari Mode for a rather short amount of time each day without microtransactions.

...It's rare for me to have a dream that's so grounded in real-world concerns. XD
It's rare to have such a specific and accurate dream so founded on real world logic too. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.