Pokémon: Adventures through Creyon

L

Lady B

Original poster

A morning like most other mornings, a woman stepped out of her house to bring in the mail. Opening the hatch of the mailbox, pulling out its contents and closing the hatch back up with a swift and accustomed motion, she proceeded to shift through the usual lot of brochures and pamphlets. However, walking back inside through the front door, something out of the ordinary caught her eyes. It was a letter from her brother, but the recipient address states that it is to be delivered to her son. Pursing her lips, she turned the white envelope over, looking for any information on what it is about.

"Ray, honey, you've got mail!"

She shouted up the stairs to her sons room, before sitting down at the kitchen table to sip on her morning cup of tea, looking at the letter and pondering its contents.​

"Dear Ray.

You may not remember me, after all, you were just a little boy when you last came to visit,
but I hope me reaching out to you isn't too startling.

You see, I find myself in quite the predicament. In my studies of human
and Pokémon psychology, the bonds shared between the two has always fascinated me.
One of the strongest, and perhaps most important of all bonds,
is the one shared by a trainer and their Pokémon.

While I of course have had the pleasure to document many a trainer-Pokémon
relationships, there is one piece of the puzzle missing. I have studied fresh trainers receiving their first Pokémon,
as well as veterans, but I have yet to take a closer look at the middle stage.

What happens between a trainer and their Pokémon as they go on a journey?
What hardships do they face? What victories do they share? What emotions
flash through their souls in the heat of battle?

It is my wish to do an in-depth case study of such an adventure.
Which is where you come in.

As far as your mother has informed me you have yet to go on a journey of your own or take up a profession,
so I was wondering if you would like to take part in my study.

All you would have to do is journey through the Creyon Region in which I reside,
capture Pokémon and battle with them along the way,
and allow me to document it. Of course, I would pay handsomely
for your cooperation.

In case you are interested in my offer, I have provided some
cash for the ferry ticket in this letter.
If you're not, think of it as an early birthday present.

Sincerely, your uncle, Prof. Ezekiel Larch
37 Ada Street
Lovelace Town, Creyon Region"

@Minibit

"Coming!" Ray hollered down the stairs. He put down the book he'd been reading - Pokéorthinology, a study of Bird Pokemon - and stood up from his seat on the bed near his window. It was a beautiful day outside, but Ray wasn't exactly what you'd call an outdoorsman; standing only five feet even with rather scrawny limbs and and a pale complexion prone to sunburn, he preferred to enjoy his book from the comfort of an insulated shelter.

He stretched as he straightened his back and yawned hugely. He'd only just woken up not too long before and had been using his book as a means to ease his brain into wakefulness. He hadn't bothered to get dressed yet, and the red-and-brown plaid pants he'd slept in dragged behind his heels as he trotted down the stairs.

A breeze drifted through the screen door, blowing directly across the landing at the bottom of the stairs. It was cool, but not as chilly as it had been a few weeks before; it seemed like spring was finally there at last, but he still briefly regretted not putting on house slippers as his feet made contact with the chilled tile floor entering the kitchen where his mother sat, waiting.

"What's up?" he asked, absently finger-combing his tawny hair, which was still mussed up from sleep. He removed his hand hastily however when - before his mother could respond - a brown-coloured bird the size of a small hawk flapped through the open living room doorway and settled on his his head, the added two kilos causing him to stoop down with a startled cry; which in turn caused the bird to flap for balance before abandoning its perch in favour of the kitchen counter, cooing rather loudly in annoyance.

"Morning, Pidge." he chuckled as his mother giggled at the show.

"This came for you, dear; it's addressed from your uncle Ezekiel." she held it out, and he took it from her hand, cautiously, as a worried frown creased his brow. What would Uncle Ezekiel be writing to him about?

He opened the envelope with a thumbnail, and scanned the contents quickly before re-reading at a slower pace. Keeping his eyes on the page, he moved forward, pulling a stool away from the kitchen counter to sit on.

"What's it say?"

Ray was contemplative as he answered "He wants me to go on a pokemon journey." He folded the letter in half, setting it down on the countertop as he stood, heading for the bag of bird feed under the sink; Pidgey hopped behind him, smart enough to guess his objective. "But of course I can't."

"And why's that?" the woman asked, sliding the letter towards herself and glancing over it.

"Well, I gotta help at the salon."

"You can have some time off; we didn't take any vacation last year." her brown eyes - the only physical trait connecting her to the young man currently allowing Pidgey to pick bits of grain out of the palm of his hand as he knelt on the floor.

"Well - ow! - what if I don't wanna go." it wasn't really phrased as a question; "I don't wanna" had been enough to get him out of basically anything he found unappealing that was not physically necessary for survival since he was ten.

"Well, then do it as a favour for your uncle."

Ray looked up in surprise, his fingers tilted downward and feed trickled to the floor, where Pidgey attacked it with vigor. "But he's all the way in the Creyon region; there's not even a train station in Violet City." he protested

"You can walk to Goldenrod from here; I'll lend you Heracross for the trip, just leave him with your auntie when you get there."

Ray stared; he hadn't met this much determination for him to follow through with what he couldn't help but consider an unnecessary task for a long time.

"I've been thinking about it lately" his mother continued, "I know you're more comfortable at home, but I think pokemon journeys are important, and since you couldn't go when you were a kid, I don't see why you shouldn't, now. It'll be good for you, maybe you'll even find your calling" she smiled, offering the letter back to him. "I'll give you some cash for a train ticket; why don't you write a note back to your uncle and mail it off?"

"Sure" he said, resignedly as he pulled himself to his feet and took the letter back. He re-read it slowly as he ascended the stairs and closed his bedroom door before.

A pokemon journey; he'd heard lots of people talking about them, some trainers on their way through town, some kids he'd gone to school with. He tossed the letter on his bed and pulled his shirt off, shuffling through his closet for a daytime one to wear. He settled on a plain green tee-shirt, and turned around before putting it on, and paused, finding himself facing the full-length mirror on his wall. On his shoulder was a dark, elongated stretch of skin, ripping from the top of his shoulder down to the tip of his shoulder-blade on the same side. It had faded since it was made, but not completely; the doctor had said it never would. Shrugging into his shirt, he changed into a regular pair of pants before sitting down at his desk and picking up a pen

Dear Uncle Ezekiel;
Thank you for your letter. It was nice to hear from you. I will be heading by train from Goldenrod City-
he paused, when?

A knock at the door preceded his mother's head poking in. "Dear, I've just fished up the train schedules from my drawer; the next train to Creyon is on Monday, so it looks like you can make that one if you head out tomorrow" She smiled too sweetly as she ducked out again. Well that was convenient, if a little anxiety-inducing.
- on Monday. I hope it's all right if I take my Pidgey with me; he's not a very social pokemon and so I don't like to leave him in the day-care.

Hoping you are well

Ray Larch
21 Sprout St.
Violet City
Johto

He folded the letter and took it downstairs, he searched an envelope out of a drawer in the kitchen, and sealed the note inside.

"Mom! I'm gonna go mail this, okay?" he called into the living room, where he could hear the TV on

"All right dear"

Pidgey fluttered along behind him, coasting on the spring breeze as he made his way down the path toward the post-office, trying to quell the nervous knot in his stomach.

Last edited:
tap tap tap *click* tap tap tap tap *click*...

The professor was fervently tapping away on his computer keyboard. He was writing a paper on the, to him, very exciting subject of how the nocturnal behavior of Diglett and Dugtrio changed with minuscule tectonic movements. Now and then he would stop his writing and scratch his increasingly greying stubble, which matched the short side swept hair on his head, only to resume writing shortly thereafter. He insisted that the increase of blood flow from stimulating the hair roots on his face improved his cognitive abilities. As a professor of psychology, he himself knew that it was nothing more than a displacement activity, but it didn't stop him from trying to prove others otherwise. However, he reached a passage where scratching his face wouldn't help him come up with what to write next.

"Hmm... Ah, yes, of course." He mumbled quietly, rummaging through stacks of paper on his mahogany desk and meticulous rows of hardcover books lining his ceiling-high bookshelves. "No, no, it's not here... Not that one, either. Oh, darnit, where could I have put it?" He continued mumbling to himself, scratching his beard, before slumping down in his revolving chair. "Think, think. When did you last have it?" He thought to himself, rubbing his temples. "Oh... It couldn't be there, could it?"

Just as he came to a realization of where the work he was looking for was probably located, the door to his study was opened by a tall, dark skinned woman carrying a small tray. She gazed over the mess on the professor's desk, clicking her tongue. She grabbed one of the paper stacks, put it down on the floor, placed the tray on the desk, and then went over to open the window blinds blocking the sunlight of the beautiful spring day that it was from entering the study, before plopping her wide set hips down on the chair opposite the desk.

"Really, professor, I don't understand how you can work in the dark like that. And this mess?" She placed a cup of coffee from the tray next to the professor's computer, and lifted another one to her full lips, blowing the steam off the black surface before taking a sip. "You, if anyone, should know how it affects your productivity." The professor sighed, nodding, then took a big gulp of his coffee. A decision he was soon to regret, fanning his open, panting mouth with his hand. "Ooh, that's hot!" The woman clicked her tongue again, rolling her eyes. "Of course it is, professor. It's coffee." She said in a sarcastic tone. "You're always right, aren't you, Shirley?" He said, slightly messing up some of the words while trying to not overexert his scolded tongue. Shirley shrugged, taking another sip. "It's just a quality of mine, I guess." The professor blew several times on his coffee before attempting to slurp some of it again, making an appeased sigh once he did. "Hot, but delicious. Anyway, how's your thesis coming along?" Shirley looked out the window through her burgundy horn-rimmed glasses, pursing her lips. "Good, it's coming along nicely. The lack of stressful factors around these parts is really helping me concentrate, and your abundance of literature is gold worth for my work but... Sometimes I miss the hustle and bustle of the big city, you know?"

Shirley had been a big city gal her whole life, hailing from Castelia City. She was used to buildings so tall she couldn't see the top of them, people running around her trying to meet deadlines, if it so was handing in a months worth of paperwork to their boss or just trying to catch the bus, and a fast-paced life in general. When she got accepted into one of the most esteemed universities in the world, the Comstock University of Creyon, she was of course excited, but even moving from a metropolis like Castelia to Comstock City, whose inhabitants mostly consisted of sleepy scholars, had forced her mind to make a huge adaptation. Right when she thought she was getting used to it, she was recommended to move to Lovelace Town, the southernmost town of the western peninsula, to write her thesis on the complex psychology of psychic-type pokemon. The motivation being that Ezekiel Larch, the most renowned authority on the matter resided there, and that he would be the most useful source, even more so than the vast library and the professors of Comstock. And so, she had moved in with the professor in functionalist villa on top of the picturesque hills of the seaside town of Lovelace, otherwise mostly known as a retreat for elderly people and stressed out, burnt out city slickers who couldn't keep up with the tempo. There, she had great use of the professor's unmatched knowledge and arsenal of literature, in return for being his assistant during her stay. But to be frank, she was bored most of the time.

"Ah, I see. Sometimes I forget that your brain isn't used to not having to produce large quantities of epinephrine, and that you..." The professor's words trailed off as he was met by a deadly stare. "Ezekiel, are you trying to diagnose me?" She emphasized 'diagnose' with a sharp tone. He held his hands up despondently, and smiled apologetically. "No, no! I would do nothing of the sort!" Shirley had a sip of her coffee, squinting with distrust at the professor. "I thought so..." He let out a sigh of relief internally, and mumbled "Phew, barely got off the hook there..." before having a sip of coffee himself. "What was that?" Shirley said, raising her voice. "Ah, nothing, I swear! I was just rambling to myself about a book I seem to have misplaced. But I think I know where it is. Acquiring it might prove to be a bit of a hassle, though." "You mean it's not in the house?" Shirley inquired, throwing a look at the bookshelves covering the walls behind the professor. "That's exactly what I'm saying." he confirmed, nodding. "Oh, well, tell me if you need any help with getting it. I could use a reason to get out of the house for a bit." He chuckled. "I'm sure you could."

The pair of them both having finished their coffee, Shirley lifted the empty cups back onto the tray, getting ready to carry it back into the kitchen. The professor stretched his back, watching her getting up. "Was there anything else?" he inquired, asking before she left. She stopped in her movement, and seemed to remember something important. "Ah, that's right..." She put the tray back down on the desk, lifting the over sized knitted turtle-neck jumper she had received as a gift from her grandma to her waist, pulling a small, white envelope out of the pocket of her khaki pants. "This came in the mail this morning. It's from someone named Ray, from Johto. That's your nephew, isn't it? The one you wrote to, asking to come?" The professor lit up, seeing the letter. "Yes, yes, that's quite right. Okay, now, let's see here..." He accepted the envelope from Shirley's hand, pulling a letter opener from one of his desk drawers. Sitting properly in his chair, his eyes scanned the contents of the letter from side to side, rereading it a couple of times to make sure he wasn't missing an 'unfortunately,' or a 'but...' anywhere. Having been reassured that he wasn't misinterpreting it, he laughed triumphantly. "Yes! I knew it! He agreed to participate! I mean, sure, I had a few doubts, but... The important part is that he's agreed, and I knew he would!" Excitedly, the professor reread the letter once more. "And, he'll be arriving by train tomorrow! This is just wonderful news. Alright, Shirley, we need to prepare the boat to go pick him up. If we have everything ready in time, we can leave first thing in the morning. I have some errands to run, which means that in the spare time before the train arrives, you're free to do whatever you please." Shirley smiled, glad that she would get to escape the dreary place where she currently found herself, even if just for a short while. "Sure thing, professor. I'll make sure everything is ready in due time." She practically skipped with glee out of the study to the kitchen with the tray, putting it down in the sink before texting her friends from the university, deciding to have a small get-together.

The next morning, Shirley dressed nicely in a purple dress, black tights, some high heels, and she put on make up for the first time in what felt like ages. She knocked on the door to the professor's study without reply, so she opened it and peeked her head inside. The professor was wearing a marine blue suit with a white shirt, and a striped tie mixing the two colours. He even wore a shiny pair of black leather shoes. She was surprised, as this was the most fancy she had ever seen him. "Well, someone's looking smart today." The professor looked up from emptying a small brown trunk, finally acknowledging Shirley's presence. "Ah, sorry didn't see you there." He scratched the back of his head, smiling at her compliment. "Hehe, thank you. Sometimes, even dusty old guys like me feel like dressing up, you know?" Shirley smirked. "Yeah, I guess. Anyway, are you ready?" The professor emptied the last bit of miscellaneous items from the trunk, closing it back up. "Yes, I'm ready. Just forgot that I needed something to carry the stuff with. So, if we're both ready, let's go."

Before leaving, Shirley put on a white coat, since it was still a bit chilly outside, especially because the sun was occasionally hidden by a few scattered clouds that morning, but the professor settled for a pair of shaded aviators. They drove the professor's convertible down to the docks, where a medium sized motorboat was bobbing up and down as the ocean waves slowly rolled towards the shore. The professor hopped on, offering to help Shirley, but she declined, briefly pulling her heels off and hopping on herself. With a few tugs on the engine string, the motor was up and running, and the two were off towards Jouleburgh City.

The city of Jouleburgh was mostly an industrial hub, and while the general feel of it was certainly different from the more artistic Castelia, Shirley could feel at home there. As the boat cruised through the blue water along the western peninsula to the other side, some of the clouds cleared, and the sun shone bright. Shirley thought about taking her coat off, but the chilly breeze from the speeding boat made her decide against it. A few Wingull sailed up next to them, crying in glee while riding the wind with stretched out wings. Shirley smiled, looking at them, but suddenly there was a loud noise, and the Wingull scattered. A larger motorboat than theirs sped past right next to them, creating a wake that caused the boat to violently bounce up and down. "Hold on!" The professor shouted while trying to balance the boat as best he could. "Who were those idiots!?" Shirley screamed after them, enraged by such foolish and inconsiderate behavior. Once the boat settled, the professor scratched his beard and sighed. "I don't know, I don't recognize that vessel. Whoever they are, they've probably almost reached the docks by now, so we have very little chance of catching up to them. Even though I'd like to give them a right scolding..." The rest of the trip passed silently, with both the professor and Shirley too shook up to want to talk. But, soon enough, they reached the docks of Jouleburgh City.

Shirley's friends were waiting at the docks, watching the boat pulled in. Upon seeing them, Shirley's anger washed right off, and she shone a bright smile at them. She and the professor got off the boat and greeted the welcoming committee, Shirley giving them each a big hug, and him shaking their hands politely, introducing himself. "Well, girls, it was fun meeting you, but I should get to business. Shirley, don't forget to be at the station the time that we agreed on. With that, I bid you adieu, ladies." He signed off by feigning to tip his hat at them, and they waved goodbye. As soon as he had left, the girls stared at Shirley with funny expressions. "What?" She asked, bothered by their mischievous looks. "You didn't tell us the professor was such a silver fox!" One of them burst out. "Yeah, he's totally different from how you've described him! I thought he was gonna be scrawny and boring, or wear moth-eaten clothes or something." Another added. Shirley rolled her eyes, jokingly pushing her friends away from her. "Well, he doesn't usually look like this. Normally, he's cooped up in his study wearing the same stuff he's been wearing for days, and..." She was interrupted by one of her friends clinging to her back and laughing. "Or, perhaps you've just been trying to hide him away from us all this time? Perhaps you want him all for yourself?" the group continued to laugh and bicker, making their way into the city center to socialize. Shirley threw a squint at the direction the professor had went, wondering if he had dressed up so just to impress her friends.

"Express train from Goldenrod City, Johto, arriving at platform 4B shortly."

The message echoed through the station hall.

"Next stop, Jouleburgh City, Creyon, final destination."

The message resounded through the bullet train which Ray was riding. And, as promised by the automated voice, the train pulled up at platform 4B in front of an anxiously awaiting professor and his assistant. Once the sliding doors opened, people flooded out of the many carts on the train. As soon as Ray stepped out on Creyon soil, he was spotted by the professor, who waved intensely while walking up to him. Once Shirley noticed who the professor was waving at, she was surprised by his stature. "Um, professor, is the boy in the green shirt your nephew?" He smiled, nodding proudly. "Yup! That's good ol' Ray alright!" Shirley scratched the base of her afro, which was being held up neatly by a beige headband. "Not to be offensive, but... Does he really look like the type of person who should be going on a journey by himself?" The professor stopped, and put a hand on Shirley's shoulder. "Shirley, a trainer's capacity is not decided by their physical prowess, but rather by their ability to mentally connect with their pokemon. And, in that sense, I have full faith in Ray." Shirley still had her doubts, but said nothing. After all, the professor was known for his ability to judge people and their qualities, and she didn't know of an instance where he had been wrong.

"Ray, my boy! You're finally here!" The professor gushed, bending down to put down his trunk and to hug his nephew. "I'm so excited to start off this cooperation with you. You must tell me about your travel. Was the undersea train ride to your liking? Was it a bit scary? How's your mother? Oh! I nearly forgot!" The professor pointed a hand at Shirley. "This is Shirley. She's writing a thesis at my place, while helping me out with my research as well. She's benevolently decided to aide me in this project we're about to start, and really, it wouldn't be possibly without her." Shirley looked down at the much shorter Ray, and held out a hand for him to shake. "Shirley. Shirley Ainsworth. It's a pleasure to finally meet. The professor's told me much about you."

Ray stepped off the train with an air of uncertainty, craning his neck as he looked around. Being comparatively shorter than most of the crowd, he couldn't exactly see far, but fortunately his uncle spotted him first, and he soon found himself wrapped in a hug and overwhelmed with a flood of questions and introduction. He swallowed, trying to ignore the large crowd milling around them on the station, and offering a crooked, shy smile at Shirley as he took her hand, hoping his shake was all right as he nodded. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Ray Larch" he said awkwardly. He felt strange about mentioning his own name, since she obviously already knew who he was, but that was how he'd learned to do introductions, and if there was anything he needed right now, it was a sense of familiarity.

"Mother says hi, and sorry she couldn't come along to visit. The train was, uh, interesting. They made me put Pidgey in his pokeball though, are pokemon allowed out in the station?" he asked, a concerned frown drawing his brows together. Back in Johto, pokemon were more often outside their pokeballs than in them, ever since Professor Elm's bestselling book was published detailing the apparent benefits of spending time with pokemon outside their pokeballs. It had been ages since Pidge had even seen his pokeball, and he felt bad about keeping It seemed customs were different in other regions, however, and while he guessed it made sense that even a small pokemon like Pidgey had to be inside its pokeball on the train, he wasn't sure what the rules were in public spaces in Creyon.

"Well, you can tell your mother that I'll be visiting for the... Ah! What am I talking about! I should contact her myself, seeing as you wont be returning to Johto for some time. Haha, silly me, I forgot why you came for a second!" The professor was positively beaming. After all, it had been such a long time since he had seen his nephew, and he was prone to letting his excitement get the better of him. "And, of course, such a tiny creature like Pidgey would't be a nuisance to anyone. But I'd keep an eye on him if I were you, these trains are dangerous business after all, even to pokemon." While the professor continued rambling for a bit, Shirley softly tapped her foot against the hard faux marble surface of the platform floor, and eventually cast a glance at her wristwatch. Politely clearing her throat, she slightly nudged the professor's side. "Professor, maybe it's about time we head back to the boat? I'm sure Ray and, uh, Pidge, was it? Would appreciate getting some fresh air after spending so much time on a stifling train." The professor jerked his head, surprised at Shirley interrupting the reunion with his nephew, but came to his senses after taking a look at one of the big clocks hanging from the station ceiling. "Oh, you're right! Time sure flies when you're having fun, doesn't it? Well, what do you say, Ray? Are you ready to go to Lovelace Town and start the preparations?"

Ray had already had his hand on Pidge's pokeball when he asked the question, and no sooner had Professor Larch confirmed that it would be fine than did he release the bird, who hopped about erratically on the station floor before flapping up the short distance to Ray's shoulder, where he pet the upset creature with the opposite hand.

"Uh, sure" he agreed, realising they were heading out. He leaned down to grab his bag, and the pidgey on his shoulder flapped in protest at his awkward motion, striking his ear. He didn't flinch, though he did shift his meagre weight uncomfortably from foot to foot as he waited for one or the other of them to lead them on out of the station, him not knowing where the doors were through the thinning crowds.

"Is Lovelace pretty close to here?" he asked

"Excellent!"

The professor clapped his hands, and then proceeded to lead the way through the crowd. "Excuse us, coming through... Huh? Sorry, what was that?" Distracted by asking some tourists to step out of the way so the group of three could make their way to the escalators leading up and out of the underground section of the train station, he didn't quite catch Ray's question. "It's quite a ways from here." Shirley filled in. "At least if you would be planning to take the land route. Fortunately, we've got a boat that'll let us take a shortcut around the western peninsula. Here..." As they passed an information desk by the escalators, Shirley grabbed a leaflet from a rack of pamphlets and handed it to Ray, revealing it to be a topographical map of the Creyon region. "We're here, currently, and we'll be rounding this left tip to get to Lovelace Town, which is right here." She continued, pointing at the small markings on the map as they rode the mechanical stairs upwards.

Finally above ground, the three found themselves in the entrance hall of the train station. It was quite grand, with a high ceiling, but it still breathed a different, more efficient air than other halls bathed in warm light from crystal chandeliers. All around them were more ways to get to the underground, where most of the platforms were located, but there were also a few platforms at the far back, purposed for intra-region traveling. "None of those are headed for Lovelace, I'm afraid." Shirley said, cocking her head towards them. "Simply because too few people ever want to visit that area. The official reason is that they're forbidden from laying a railroad through Aulaeum Forest, though. You know, wildlife sanctuary and all that. Ah, it's this thing right here." She once again pointed at the map, this time at a line of wooded area severing the western peninsula from the rest of the map. "It's also called the Green Curtain, because of the way it cuts this part away from the rest of it.

With Shirley explaining some basic Creyon geography, and the professor leading the way, they had soon made their way out of the station hall. The streets outside were bustling with traffic and people scurrying along the pavement. The professor managed to wave in a taxi from the busy street, and the cab driver asked where they were headed as they put their things in the trunk of the yellow car "Dock 34, please." Requested the professor, getting in and putting his seat belt on. Once they were all inside, the driver riled up the motor, and they were off through the streets of Jouleburgh at a speed that might make some, or perhaps most people unused to it, uncomfortable. They passed tall corporate buildings, construction sites, large and dull coloured factories puffing white smoky steam from cylindrical chimneys, but also more hospitable shopping areas lined with boutiques and cafés of all kinds, as well as several blocks of dainty Victorian houses. Eventually, they reached the docks, and so the professor paid the driver and they all moved with their bags from one vehicle to another, onto the boat.

The sun being high in the sky, it was shaping up to be the most gorgeous spring day. It was hot enough for Shirley to take off her coat, and she basked pleasantly in the warm rays. However, the pleasantness wouldn't last long, as the same boat, or at least one like the one from earlier that morning once again passed them at an outrageous velocity. The wake was even worse this time, as they faced it in the wrong direction, and they had to struggle not to bounce off. Shirley held Ray's arm in a tight grip, making sure nothing happened to him. "Are you all right?" she called. "Really, where the hell are they coming from!?" She scanned the shore for any signs, but it was all steep cliffs or crevices covered in vegetation, meaning it could have come from anywhere. "They pushed past us this morning, too." The professor explained. I'm not sure what they're up to, but knowing it wasn't just a one time offense is giving me a bad feeling..."

Ray followed along, as they passed through the station and entered the dock. His eyes followed Shirley's hand as she chatted easily about the surroundings, filling in his blanks in the conversation without missing a beat. As they stepped into the professor's boat, he found himself starting to relax a little, looking at the sights bring pointed out and politely nodding or smiling where it was called for. His attention was more keenly trained, however, on the guide.

Ray had never been good with girls, and, well, there were no two ways about it, Shirley was a woman. The sun bore down hotly on Ray's pale skin until he felt for sure he was going to start sizzling, and he only hoped he could blame it for the hot flush in his face and neck. He knew enough to keep his eyes on his hands folded in his lap, but it took concentration as every time he dragged them up to look at some landmark or mountain, they wanted to stare at the woman in the seat beside him.

It wasn't that he found her terribly gorgeous or anything; she was good-looking, but she'd have to wear a bag over her head not to make Ray uncomfortable around her. He had a hard enough time talking to people his own gender, talking to the fairer sex tended to put his vocabulary through a blender, until only muddled clusters of syllables remained.

His eyes and hands were on Pidgey when the boat started approaching, sending them violently rocking in a suddenly choppy area of the lake and launching Pidgey off his knee and into the spray-filled air as Shirley wrapped Ray's arm in a tight grip.

Colour - except the faint traces already stained by the sun - drained from his face as if a plug had been pulled. He couldn't speak, and the nod he finally managed in response to her inquiry was only executed after her attention was diverted.

Looking out of the boat, he could see the boat that had nearly struck then, spreading a white plume behind itself as it raced toward the horizon.

"The same boat?" He asked incredulously, distracted.

Reactions: Lady B
"Looks like it... Granted, it could also be the same people with several of the same boat. I doubt the two incidents are unconnected, though. I just hope they aren't up to something bad..."

The professor's voice trailed off, but he quickly shook his head, realizing how conspiratorial he was sounding.

"Well! No point in dwelling on it. Let's push ahead, shall we? We're nearly there."

He riled up the motor again, and the small boat was once more on course towards their destination. After rounding the southern tip of the western peninsula, the rolling hills of Lovelace Town could soon be seen along the shore. On the untouched beaches of the outskirts of town, several Slowpoke could be seen resting on the warm, sparkling sands, with Krabby scuttling around them, looking for food. Joining the sky, mingling with the Wingull from the open sea, was several mainland bird pokemon, Like Staravia and Swablu. A Hoppip, having jumped from one of the nearby hills attempting to catch a drifting breeze, floated down not far from the boat, and bobbed gently up and down with the waves trying to make its way back to the shore.

The boat slowed down as they approached the pier. The sound of creaking boards was heard under their feet after they had gotten off the newly docked boat, making their way towards dry land. From the pier, one could see all of the hills that made up Lovelace Town, and the pretty cottages built upon them. The relaxed but refined architecture of the somewhat scarcely placed houses disclosed that while Lovelace was a place rarely visited, those who did visit where among the people in society who are a bit better off than others. For example, those who could afford to take their private yachts to a place which received little to no other forms of traffic. On top of one of the highest hills in the town, the professor's functionalist villa distinguished itself as being very conspicuous amongst the more traditional builds around it.

Arriving on land, the group got into the professor's convertible, and slowly rolled upwards. Arriving at his house, the professor ushered Ray into the study, while Shirley put on a kettle of tea. He pointed at the chair in front of his desk, offering Ray to sit down, while he himself sat down behind the desk, putting the briefcase he had been carrying down in front of him.

"Well then, Ray, my boy! I hope you're as excited as I am to start this little study? As I explained in the letter, all you have to do is go on a journey through this region, and allow me to document it. What i didn't foreclose though, is that I have procured somewhat of a particular method of doing so."

The professor pulled on the metal cuffs of the briefcase, and opened it, revealing the insides. Among which was what looked like stacks of small sheets of clear plastic.

"See these sheets? They were developed by a very close friend of mine. While they may not seem like much, they actually contain a complex of graphene and nano... Ah, that stuff isn't exactly of any interest to you, is it? The important thing is their function. What they do, is after applying them onto an organic surface, they're able to detect changes in heart rate, body temperature, basically everything that signals a change in someone's mood, and transmit that data to a more sophisticated device for analyze. What i want you to do is just to slap one of these suckers onto any pokemon you catch, so that I am able to monitor their emotional growth alongside yours. See, while I can simply stay in contact with you and ask you how you're feeling, discerning the emotions of pokemon is much more difficult as we have no verbal means of communicating with them. Of course, as a trainer, I have no doubt that you'll be able to sense the feelings of your pokemon, but I doubt you're very interested in giving detailed accounts of such information over an extended period of time. Anyway, where you place them is of little importance, though I'd recommend somewhere around the chest area. But I promise that wherever you place them, they won't obstruct motion or be noticeable in any way. See?" The professor wrapped one of the sheets around his finger, and it immediately turned invisible. Well, as close to invisible as possible, but you'd need to know beforehand that there was something there in order to tell. He then continued to wiggle the finger around, curling it up and stretching it out, to show that it wouldn't be of hindrance. "Well, i say it won't be a problem, but while we've run extensive laboratory testings to make sure they're safe, they haven't been tried in the field yet, so you would be helping with testing them out as well."

While the professor was rambling, Shirley entered the study with a tray of tea and biscuits, putting it down on the desk by the briefcase.

"Thank you Shirley. Where was I... Oh yes, the sheets. Well, would you mind Pidgey trying one on? If Pidge finds it uncomfortable, then there's no point in using them, and I'll send them back to be redesigned. Oh, I know! There's this book I've been wanting to use as reference for one of my papers, but I can't seem to remember where I've put it. Because it was so long ago since I last used it, I have an inkling that I forgot it after moving from my old laboratory which I shared with a former partner of mine. If you put a sheet on Pidge and go over to the laboratory to fetch my book, you'll not only be doing that, but you'll also try your hand at traveling alone on a smaller scale. Three birds with one stone, so to speak! Ah, no offense, Pidge... Anyway, what do you say?"

The professor slurped on his tea, letting his mouth rest after doing so much talking.

• Love
Reactions: Minibit
Ray trailed just behind his uncle as they entered the house, dividing his attention between looking around the cluttered office, and looking at the professor as he filled the trainer in on the details of his request.

He picked up one of the sheets, looking it over with a small frown sloping his ginger brows as he listened to the explanation. So it was like a clear paper heart monitor?

"Sure, we'll try it." he said, accepting a smaller square from the professor and looking over his shoulder for pidgey who, as if he sensed his cooperation was wanted, had fled his shoulder and was pecking about the office floor.

"Pidge, pidge get over here."

The bird turned its back to him, looking up at the wall as if it hadn't heard a thing. Ray sighed in irritation, turning in his char and holding his hand near the ground. "Pidge. Get over here."

Pidge was not interested, and squawked in annoyance when Ray had to pounce out of his chair and catch the birds wings to its sides. Unfortunately, this took two hands, and while Pidge wasn't thrashing or anything, he didn't look happy, and Ray had the feeling he'd start flapping were he let go anywhere but the bit of floor he'd been taken from.

"Ah, eh, maybe I should..."

The professor took one of the sheets, walked over to where Ray was struggling with Pidge, and gently patted it onto the chest of the little bird. Almost as soon as he had put it on, the sheet practically dissipated.

"See, that wasn't so bad. Anyway, Ray, my boy, I should probably give you these, as well."

He went back behind his desk, opened one of the drawers, and pulled out a small, very useful device. A Pokédex. Then, he opened another drawer, and pulled out a set of five Pokeballs.

"These should come in handy." He said, handing the items over to Ray. "Now, are you ready?"

Ray released the bird back to the floor - and got batted a few times with the flailing creature's wings for his trouble, and looked up to see the professor offering a familiar-looking device.

His eyes widened as its identity registered; a Pokedex.

He felt himself straightening in his seat, but the movement didn't really register as he stared at the dex; his dex. The professor was waiting for him to take it, but his arm felt heavy as the full reality of the situation dropped on him like tsunami.

It was lighter in his hand than he would have expected, and the mild surprise clicked his attention back to the present. His uncle had asked him a question.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, of course." Tearing his eyes away from the device in his hand, he swivelled to grab his bag from where he'd dropped it on the office floor, unzipping a side pocket to pour the precariously gathered pokeballs into. His pulse was pounding in his wrist as he closed the compartment - what kinds of pokemon would he catch? Where would he see them? Would they obey him? Fight for him? Protect him? He swallowed past the pounding in his ears as he waited attentively for further direction.

Reactions: Lady B