2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
anime, scifi, fantasy, adventure,
Does anyone else think that it would make things much easier if you could just press a button to poke someone who hasn't responded to something they were supposed to or hasnt done what they were supposed to for a while? Sure, we could just *poke* them in a conversation or tag them in a thread, but after a while that does get to be a bit of a bother and clutters space if I do say so myself. Post or like if you guys think there should be a 'poke' button that gives the person a poke alert! Feel free to comment with your own additions or suggested changes to the idea!

Personally a poke button would make me rage. If I haven't done something and I haven't made my appologize, communicating to me that I've dropped the ball in a polite manner is the best way to get me to respond. If I'm playing with someone without good reason I have to nag I drop them like a hot potato... PC death is a wonderful thing sometimes.

Reactions: Minibit
We've considered adding something like this (not for this purpose, though!) and decided against it. Most members would find a feature like that really intrusive and annoying. Especially since other members would over-use and abuse the feature. There would be poke wars, unnecessary poking, poke stalking, etc. In the end, it might be quicker to poke someone, but essentially less useful.

Adding anything more would only increase the clutter that exists. The tagging system already fulfills this need rather nicely. Post something like "Oi @Shadicmaster post in the thing" already gives them an alert, just as the proposed poke would do.

What about making it optional? You can enable it or turn it off, and you can put in your rp resume whether or not you have it on and accept pokes.

Tbh a lot of people don't seem to bother to let you know you owe them a reply. They just let the roleplay die. A poke or maybe even an automated message: "You haven't looked at so-and-so for a week, and there are updates!" or something would be great.

Because seriously, the alternative is

"@blah @blah @blah Are you guys still in?"

"@Blah you still here you haven't replied"

And often not getting a reply. Partly when people don't notice

I don't see how a poke would be any more effective than a PM or post on the matter. If someone hasn't replied to a PM they are just going to ignore a poke as well. I've had some impatient partners who would have spammed the heck out of a poke and that would have cost them at least one partner.

Reactions: LunaValentine
What about making it optional? You can enable it or turn it off, and you can put in your rp resume whether or not you have it on and accept pokes.

Tbh a lot of people don't seem to bother to let you know you owe them a reply. They just let the roleplay die. A poke or maybe even an automated message: "You haven't looked at so-and-so for a week, and there are updates!" or something would be great.

Because seriously, the alternative is

"@blah @blah @blah Are you guys still in?"

"@Blah you still here you haven't replied"

And often not getting a reply. Partly when people don't notice
Negates the whole idea of the system; if I can disable pokes, then you can poke me all day and night without effect, just like ignoring an alert. the people who would pay attention to pokes and leave them turned on are the same people who would respond to a tag.

Negates the whole idea of the system; if I can disable pokes, then you can poke me all day and night without effect, just like ignoring an alert. the people who would pay attention to pokes and leave them turned on are the same people who would respond to a tag.
True..

I know that I at least get very uncomfortable when people try to poke me all the time through messages, and having to constantly explain to and ensure others that I'm busy and getting a post up may take some time. Adding a "poke" button wouldn't change that, and as people have pointed out, the people who ignore the messages are also going to ignore the pokes.

you can put in your rp resume whether or not you have it on and accept pokes.
People already write in their resume if they accept poking.

I vote no. There are plenty of people who just say random one-liners to me in the hopes of starting conversation. Further enabling their lazy social skills would do none of us any good... not least me... who might get drawn into social interaction that makes me experience feelings and shit.

This would drive me absolutely, bat shit crazy. Horrible, horrible idea! I don't want to think about all the pokes I'd end up getting in a day....@_@

Reactions: Siren
Poke me and I will beat you mercilessly with a stick.

Yes, through the computer screen.

I vote no go.

There are a multitude of options to get attention on Iwaku. No need to add another one.

I would vote no on this idea.

I'd be frustrated and definitely stressed if I got poked mercilessly. As @The Butterfly stated, there are already enough ways to get attention. I don't want to be a victim of something that would be overwhelming for most people. I already got enough stress to deal with. My plate's full.

Rather what needs to happen is the return of the bump button for threads. So, if your partner hasn't posted in a while, hit bump to A) Keep the thread going until they post and to B) Give them a reminder to post. It would have the same effect as a poke button without the annoyance.

Reactions: Unsun
Rather what needs to happen is the return of the bump button for threads. So, if your partner hasn't posted in a while, hit bump to A) Keep the thread going until they post and to B) Give them a reminder to post. It would have the same effect as a poke button without the annoyance.

We do have a bump feature. But it is for donating members!

Reactions: Shadicmaster
Why not have the bump feature available to everyone?

It's good basic training for volunteers and staffies to have to keep an eye out and clean up bump spamming! 8D

Mostly, we just want there to be SOMETHING nice and special for the members who give to Iwaku. A bump feature is not something most people really need to enhance their roleplay experience on the site. It's a nice thing to give as a perk to donators without taking something valuable away from the members.

Status
Not open for further replies.