Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Action, Adventure, Romance, Magical, Fantasy, Furry, Modern, Supernatural, Naurto, RWBY, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Avatar/Korra, Hunter, Games, Fandoms
Hello. I'm having some trouble with PM's today as it says I have reached a max conversation limit. Is there any way to reduce this?

I believe the limit is removed if you donate. Also, you can leave conversations that you don't need anymore. =) You won't be able to rejoin them on your own, though, so pick carefully which ones you leave.

Well I removed the ones where the other had left. But I have done it and now it's still there, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Had the same problem between myself and my RPing partner. I'm a supporter, but they're not, and now they're unable to post in our RP thread, which we hold in private conversations. Honestly, I hope this is a mistake caused by the new update, as I always considered PM based RPing to be an essential part of this site, and locking an essential site feature behind donations isn't exactly a great look.

I have to wonder why such a limit would even exist? Do PM take up more space than the forum threads which would otherwise be used in their place? My partner and I do post quite a fair amount, but we have some old threads that we have fond memories of, and without some means of archiving/importing them to another medium easily, leaving them would mean they're essentially lost forever.

Last edited:
  • Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Rebornfan120
I have to wonder why such a limit would even exist?

The Inbox limit is 1000 Convo Threads and 20000 posts! It's a lot. This limit existed before the September update, but one of our features was broken until now.

The thing with PMs is that they're not technically supposed to be a popular way people roleplay on Iwaku as we can't moderate them. This gets tricky because people often use PMs as a way to circumvent our age rules. At the same time, we don't want to stop people from roleplaying in PMs all together, as we have plenty of people who do it for convenience and privacy and we understand having this option is important for them.

A second reason (the one I find more of an issue) is that database space costs time and money. Anytime we have to run a big update it goes thru every post, every pm, every profile, every reaction and it takes hours and a lot of heavy load on the server. Right now I'm with a host who is w o n d e r f u l, so I get away with using a lot of server resources for a lot less than I should be paying. If anything happens to him and I have to change hosts, costs for Iwaku would jump by a ton which would force me to start deleting content left and right to bring costs down. I have to weigh which parts of the site are the most valuable to Iwaku and which parts I can limit to make updates easier and keep costs at a place I can afford even without donors. Because PMs are private, they're not benefiting the site as much as things like the forum posts that bring us steady new members through search rankings. (Fun fact, the convo database is actually BIGGER than our forum posts database right now, and it shouldn't be!)

SO with that long winded explanation, the best medium place we have is having a reasonable Inbox limit for regular members and then offering unlimited inboxes to donors. Statistically, people who donate are much less likely to break site rules because they're invested financially in the site.

You are also absolutely right; having these limits but no way to download the convo threads is dumb. This was an oversight on my part. O_O There is a tool that comes with the inbox limit called Convert Conversation to Thread and I forgot to turn that on for members. You can copy your entire roleplay convo to a thread in the Thread Archives where you can leave it OR use the Export Thread to download it (and then request the thread deleted if you don't want to share).

EDITEDITEDIT----- AAAAHHHHH. Just as I was almost done typing this, I went to do a quick search for an Export Conversation mod just to see if one finally existed and I found one. It's a paid mod by a new developer so it's going to be an adventure. But we're going to give it a whirl and see if it works out. O_O Expect to see an Export Convo link in the inbox by tonight for testing.

Thank you for taking the time to explain why the limit is in place. I really do appreciate it, and I've actually been really enjoying this site. I'm more of a lurker sort of person, and I've always been the type to roleplay in PMs because... Well, to me, roleplays, and particularly ones with smut (heh) are a private affair. I don't want anyone to look at the stuff I write, and potentially even judge it. There is a part of it that's really just me being self-conscious. I just don't like the idea of anyone reading my stuff, especially because I'm extremely self-critical.

I honestly think the reasoning is fine, and hearing that the possibility to export threads is coming, and will hopefully be working in the near future is definitely a relief. My main partner and I have been going for years so our RPs tend to get rather huh... Lenghty. So importing them manually would be an absolute nightmare. Once the feature goes up, I'll make sure to test it and report on how it's working. Definitely looking forward to it, and thanks again.

Well thank you for the long explanation to the reason of the limit though i do look forward to some things being tested like what you said in the future. I have been honestly losing a bit of enjoyment on the site and sometimes feel more like just lurking around. PM's to me are more of a private thing for me and I don't want people potentially judging how I write too harshly without looking at it. I may be self-conscious who knows? Maybe just because I feel my writing is generally good but I have been a user of PM's more than threads for the insecure reasons. But thanks again for explaining...

Reactions: LunaValentine
So, reporting on the exporting thread tool. I used it to export some of my conversations. It seems that the tool is limited to exporting 4 pages (just about?) at a time, and will require extra 'steps' for every 4 page in a thread. One of my main conversations had nearly 250~ 'steps', as the tool calls it, to take. This meant bringing up the prompt by clicking next, clicking 'export', choosing save file, then saving, for every 'step'. Not gonna lie it was huh... Not great, especially since it wasn't the only thread.

That said, it is an export tool, where there wasn't one before, and it's not like I'd be doing this frequently anyways. Hell, it'd probably have been far less strenuous had the tool been present before, so going forward, it shouldn't be nearly as annoying.

But yeah, thanks for taking care of that and giving the forum what I consider, personally at least, to be a much needed feature. Much appreciated.