10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
PLOT CHALLENGE!

A PLOT CHALLENGE is where you are given a word, a phrase, a sentence, or a setting and you have to come up with a plot idea that is inspired by those words!

The object is to THINK FAST and share the first ideas that come to mind. It's an exercise in quick creative thinking. You can do this challenge any time. Or multiple times!

To Participate: THINK FAST. Don't waste any time. The first idea(s) that comes to mind, write it down and post it! You are to write down a plot premise or basic idea. This isn't about writing scenes, this is about writing up a setting!

NOTE: If you decide to borrow someone's concept for a roleplay, make sure you ask permission or give credit to the muse.

Challenge Phrase: Train of the Dead

In the desolate wasteland of the afterlife, a ramshackle old train picks up the spirits of the dead and shepherds them off to Hades. (You didn't think they'd keep using a boat, did you?)
Before they are allowed on the train, the lost souls must be at peace with their fate - else they will wander ceaselessly for time indeterminate.
~*~
A skilled necromancer who feels he has been wronged by an ex-lover raises an army of the undead and teaches them the art of combat.
However, the souls of the dead are still sentient and can exercise their god-given free will.

(Does train-ing of the dead count?)
~*~
A voo-doo shaman visited Pennsylvania and decided he didn't like the railway system, so he put a horrible curse on their train:
anyone who entered the train would die a horrible - yet imaginative - death and be carried straight to the mouth of Hell.

(Train of Death?)

Reactions: Buttercorn
Sam Road ran as the train began to come into the station.

I'm late, I'm late, I'm so very, very late...

In his haste, he did not notice anything odd about the train or the station, or the fact that he had descended three flights of stairs farther than should have been possible, or that there were suddenly no people around...

The doors hissed to a close behind him, and with a sigh of relief, he leaned against a wall.

Except the wall was made of flesh.

His eyes shot open as he jumped forward- and froze.

This wasn't his train.

This wasn't a train at all. Not as he knew of it.

He was in a long tunnel of flesh with doors on the sides. There was Nothing outside the windows. Not blackness, not blankness, but Nothing. It hurt his mind to look at it, and he turned away.

Shadows were all about him. He was afraid. He was very afraid.

In silence, the train moved for a long time.

After what felt like hours, or days, or weeks, the man finally got up the courage to whisper to himself.

"w-w-what is this place...?"

This is the Train of the Dead.

He nearly jumped up, but didn't. He didn't dare. SOMETHING was leaning down and speaking to him. THINKING at him.

"t-t-t-the dead?!" he could barely squeak out.

We are those who bear the mark of blood upon our hands. By trains have we killed many, and so we are ferried by The Train.

"ferried?"

To the Land of the Dead.

"no... nononono I'm on the wrong train, I'M ON THE WRONG TRAIN!"

Once one gets on, one cannot exit the Train of the Dead. Unless...

"unless? Unless what?"

Unless one swears never again to ride upon the silver rails, never again to move by any means save by one's own two feet. And if once you break your oath, you will be here... for all eternity.

He gulped. But a chance was better than certain doom.

"I swear."

You've heard the phrase 'A dead man walking' before. How about dead men riding? A special train, set in post-apocalyptic America, is filled with the fodder of humanity- murderers, thieves, etc...is destined to derail right into the Pacific ocean. The evil cannot survive. Rebuild. Be a good citizen. Or you will be next in line for the Train of the Dead.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Diana
She woke as if from a dream and found herself standing on the platform of a glistening station. there were many people scurrying about some laughing some rushing and some seemed confused and lost. A sparkle of light caught her eye and her gaze lifted upward and she gasped at the beauty of the stained glass dome above her head. It was magnificently crafted in various hues and depicted the change of the seasons in a woodland scene.

Her admiration of the dome was interrupted when someone bumped into her.

"Oh sorry.." he said.

"No problem."

"I was looking at the dome...guess I should have been watching where I was going instead."

"I was looking at it too, or I may have seen you coming," She smiled extending her hand, "Abigail Summers."

He returned the smile, "Jonathan Edwards, very nice to meet you. Where are you going?"

She frowned, "You know? I'm not exactly sure. Isn't that odd?"

He shook his head, "Not at all...I am having the same problem. I feel like I ..woke up here."

"Me too..."

"Maybe there's an information desk?"

"Oh that's a wonderful idea...surely there is."

They walked together looking for the place where they could get answers, chatting and enjoying one another's company as they did. She thinking he was so very charming and he thinking she was the kindest and prettiest girl he'd met in a very long time. Finally they came up to a building that had rows and rows of people standing waiting to go through gates. She blinked, "Well....this seems to be the place."

As they waited they continued to talk and share life stories and get better acquainted. Just before they were at the front of the line he screwed up all his courage, "Abigail...I wonder if you would like to go to dinner...um..with me."

Abigail smiled a beautiful smile up at him, "Jonathan...I would be delighted. I was afraid you weren't going to ask."

He let out a relieved rush of air as the attendant called for the next person. Abigail stepped up and asked, "Forgive me, but I am not really sure why I am here or where I am going. I was hoping you could help me."

"Name?"

"Abigail Grace Summers."

"Going up. Please step to the right and follow the golden queue lines. Next."

"But wait..up? Trains go up?"

"Just follow the golden queue, you will get where you are going."

Jonathan held her hand and smiled, "Jonathan David Edwards."

"Going Down. Follow the red queue lines to the left please."

"Wait..going down? Where? Can I not go with Abigail?"

"You cannot change your destination once you are at the station sir. I am sorry."

"Why not?"

"Because Sir all destinations are decided by the living. Once you arrive at this station you ahve left the living."

"Wait," Abigail chimed in, "Are you saying we are dead?"

"Yes Ma'am. Everyone here is."

Realization dawned on them both and awareness coursed through them. She looked at him and tears spilled from her eyes realizing where he was going. "I am so sorry we did not meet sooner."

Jonathan was being pushed from behind and they were being separated in the queues beyond, "So am I."

Reactions: Diana