Plot Challenge: The Song of the Thorn Bird

K

Kitti

Original poster
1390271-medium.jpg

To Participate: THINK FAST. Don't waste any time. The first idea(s) that comes to mind, write it down and post it!
NOTE: You can reply to this post with your own challenge additions at any time! If you decide to borrow someone's concept for a roleplay, make sure you give credit. Learn more about the Roleplay Challenges HERE.

Challenge Phrase: The Song of the Thorn Bird

What has happened to the wolrd we knew? Everything is suddenly dying. Surely there is something we can do to fix it, right? Hope is all we've got. Animals were the first to deal with this strange situation. Birds stopped flying and fell on earth. They fell on cars, trees, houses, everything. Then it came to technology, it stopped functioning. What kind of diabolica thing happened? Can it be fix? The answer lays within the goverment. Somehow they know why the catastrophy is happening and the people know that they know. Ultimately the government couldn't hid the facts anymore and told the world what was happening. The Earth was dying and needed repair. But how?

A trend began to happen across the state, grizzly murders in back alleys and the middle of open fields. Each one was left face down, bloody eagle. Upon their corpses slaughtered birds were left, their own bodies ripped open in the same way. The police department were baffled, it was a spree, dozens had popped up within three months. Now one detective took the case, trying his best to solve the murders. He stops one and saves the poor girl, wounding the assailant but unable to catch him. Taking the girl into protective custody she keeps mumbling about the 'song of the thorn bird', the lyrics were simple. "Every thorn has a point, every bird has a death, I am the thorn, you are the bird." Late one night he begins to hear the melody, he was the next target.

"I didn't mean to kill it mum." was the guilt riddden feelin' I had as I saw the bird lay motionless where I'd shot it with my sling. I'd taken a life no matter how fragile it was. I was only ten at the time,but that one event would change the rest o' my life. Killin' would be easier now that I'd taken mah first. When the war broke out in Europe..I'd take pity on no man.

There was a quote from a book, she could only remember parts of it, and the title must have been of the same name, but she was no longer sure. All Kate knew was that it was a metaphor for life. The Thorn Bird...she smiled sadly at the thought. Oh how she wished that she could be like that bird, singing the most beautiful song of life in it's last moments on earth.
Kate looked out her window and stared down at the city life below her, here at the top of the concrete jungle, watching the world move, she saw some of the most horrible and beautiful acts of mankind. She even saw some of those whom she wished she could emulate, but alas, here in her concrete prison of her own making, Kate could only watch. It had been years, and still every day that quote stuck in her mind. Sacrifice, sacrifice of self without losing self, thats what it is...her thoughts turned inward. Perhaps there was a way she could be that bird.
Slowly, Kate stood and walked over to the computer sending out a quick email which was sure to make her a martyr when she was finished. She had done great works in her life, but this was to be the last. Quickly, before she could change her mind, she climbed to the roof of her building and stood on the edge. It was busy down below, but not so busy as for someone to miss the woman standing on the edge of the roof. A crowd gathered below her and she smiled, finally someone was going to notice, perhaps they would get her viral email and it would inspire them to become something more. Then blackness took her as she plunged off the roof to the welcoming arms of the concrete sidewalk below, a hopeful smile on her lips.
The next day the email did go viral, here is what it said:
"There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in it's life, more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree, and does not rest until it has found one. Then, singing among the savafe branches, it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine. And, dying, it rises above its own agony to outcarol the lark and the nightingale. One superlative song, existence the price. But the whole world stills to listen, and God in His heaven smiles. For the best is only bourght at the cost of great pain....Or so says the legend."

(^_^ that is an actual quote from The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough...sry lol but the title reminded me of the book)

The New Plague has swept throughout the whole world like a gale-force wind through the sandy plains. At first, electric machines started malfunctioning for mysterious reasons, and no matter how many engineers looked through them, they could not find the source. Then, everyday appliances started shutting down, or restarting as if there was something clogging their systems, until they eventually no longer came online. After that, the internet shut down as phone lines literally burned up, and wireless signals were disrupted, causing mass panic, which escalated into chaos as everything that ran on electricity, or even generated electricity, stopped working. But that was only the beginning.

As the initial chaos slowly started to settle down, it was simple, mechanical devices that started to malfunction this time. Magnets would lose their properties in mysterious ways, alloys rotted away as if they were introduced to hydrocloric acid, metal items broke spontaneously and without explanation. The world watched in horror as tools simply turned into ash under seconds, the wind blowing away the now useless particles with its fierce strength. People could only stare in disbelief as even military-grade equipment disappeared into a cloud of dust within mere seconds. Opportunists, on the other hand, saw a much-awaited opening, and once again, chaos spread throughout the world. Without metals, humanity was forced to rely on sticks and tools, soon finding itself in a new stone age.

But the New Plague did not stop there. Its effects started to manifest on animals first, as they started to develop strange growths on their skin, which drained their power until they died. Whatever creature ate from such an animal's flesh also became infected with the disease, spreading it even further. Only plants proved to be immune to the effects of the New Plague, but soon, they too, started to show signs of sickness. Eventually, the few, still relatively sane groups of humanity started to wage a hopeless war for resources as they hopelessly watched the world fall apart around them. They realise that there might be no hope left for their species, but they still continue to fight, regardless of the situation.

One of these groups accidentally discover a strange, artificial cave. Not caring about the biohazard signs and warnings all over the place, they head into the place in hopes of finding food and shelter. Instead, though, they find a huge, metal door, which had somehow escaped the purge of the New Plague, so they try and decipher the strange code on it. They eventually succeed, and open the door, which leads to a chamber sealed off from all of the world. Inside, they find the rotting corpse of a scientist, with a perhaps still-working pistol in his hand. The wound on his temples is still clearly visible, telling the group that this was most definitely a suicide.

But what confounds the group most is the piece of metal that they find on the table of the scientist. It has familiar characters embedded on its surface, forming a letter of apology.

"I am sorry, but my masterpiece was too beautiful to destroy. It consumes electronics, then metal, then animal flesh, and finally, human flesh with such ease that I have never seen before. It is truly the crowning achievement of my life, and thus I am going to unleash it and see if mankind can survive its trial. To see if mankind can sing the song of the thornbird."