Playing with Fire

"Sunday," Carina corrected with a gleeful smile, pleased that she had won out and would see her friend take some much deserved time off, "Andrew has a free day on Sunday and I've ensured that he will not be called for last minute by anyone." She chuckled, "So you won't be disturbed or interrupted at any point of the day. Besides, it's not as if Sven and I will be going anywhere."

If the last sentence came across as bitter, Carina didn't mean for it too. It was merely a fact being stated. She and Sven weren't exactly in a good place to be going out into the masses together, physically or emotionally. While she felt as though they had done well to maintain the image of a united, loving couple... it got more and more difficult each time their performance was required. However, she couldn't let it show. She had to remain strong and keep herself together.

While Natalia was beginning to accept that she now had someone there to look out for her best interests, Carina was (inconspicuously) shutting the doors on her own emotion. With Natalia's happiness seeming to take off and her life maybe even beginning to settle now Andrew was in it, Carina wanted to avoid doing anything that would disrupt what she believed the adviser should have, even after everything they had been through together.

Not to mention, she was a monarch. And with her husband still recovering from his own physical injuries, she was the one that had to remain a pillar of strength and refuse to budge under a storm. She didn't feel, despite the new friendship with Natalia, as though she could let anyone know what was going on inside her own head. She had ruined her own chance at happiness, after all, and while Natalia may not believe that, she was certain there would be others in the castle that did. She didn't want sympathy or pity, but she also didn't want to sound like a broken record and seem to be crying over something she had destroyed herself.

"You aren't boring me at all," Carina answered then, voice softer and quieter than before. It seemed like the library was a place for romance, or at least understanding. It was, after all, where she and Sven began to realise that the other wasn't as awful as they made each other out to be. It reminded her of the few times she had considered kissing Sven for the first time in that library. Bittersweet and painful.

"...Don't ever feel like you're boring me. I want to hear about all this sort of stuff... I do have a soft spot for romance, after all." She quickly strengthened her voice, laughing slightly again, "Perhaps he's just waiting for the right moment... he seems like a very respectable gentleman, he probably doesn't want to rush things, like you say."

"Oh, he is! He's a real gentleman, he's so thoughtful and gentle - though strong too. I caught a glimpse of him at work near the stables and he's... very strong. It's admirable, the dedication to his work; I like that aspect to him too. Lord knows I dedicate myself to my work so... that's something we also have in common, I suppose," she continued with sudden eagerness, only growing away near the end of her abrupt blurts that she had all but gushed about the man. She didn't regret any of the fond compliments when they were true and entirely earned, but her lack of experience in a romance and discussing her more tender feelings so transparently made it... awkward, however determined she was to talk it all through with Carina.

She bit her lip in that moment of contemplation, though eventually came to realise she had nothing to apologise for. She felt a little awkward about gushing about a prospective love life when Carina's own had stalled, but she valued their newfound friendship enough to hope that if the Queen felt unsettled by the contrast, she would say so. Natalia would be more than happy to limit her gushing over Andrew if the young royal felt it only reminded her of how distant she was with her husband - but if Carina continued to maintain that it was fine, that she wanted to hear about the budding feelings that may end up forming a relationship, then Natalia felt content in sharing those details.

She had never had feelings like this before, and vocalising them aloud, though a new experience for her, felt right; she wanted to indulge in something that brought her such happiness, and to share it with a person who had become a dear friend to her. It was what friends did, after all.

"I suppose... you know, I do worry how Sven will react," she continued with a great deal more quietness, voice lowering to little above a whisper as she peered to Carina. She didn't feel comfortable in referencing the King too often, but it was immature to think his name would remain absent from her tongue whenever she and the Queen sat together. Though their marriage remained in that strange place right now and she was certain that talk of Sven didn't fill Carina with joy, Natalia couldn't just bite her lip and pretend the man didn't exist - especially when she had a reason to bring his name up, unable to keep her concerns to herself a moment longer.

"He hasn't been all that subtle in his discontent at my... growing feelings for Andrew, nor of our spending time together. If he learns that things are going from strength to strength, he... will just feel more alone, and I don't want to feel at blame for that. I don't want his paranoia to poison what I have with Andrew, you know? I-I can't... put my burgeoning social and romantic life aside for him anymore, Carina. I can't do it, but he'll inevitably take it as-- me choosing Andrew over him, and it's not the case, and-- and I suppose I'm overthinking it all, aren't I? Perhaps he's... more mature than that?"

At the mention of Sven from the other woman, Carina's gaze quickly lowered onto the documents at the coffee table. She leaned forward slightly to busy herself with tidying them, despite them not needing any form of rearranging, before resting back again with an awkward clear of her throat. She hadn't been blind to Sven's recent behaviours, more so towards Natalia and Andrew and any suggestions or mention of that budding relationship. But even towards her own developing friendship with the king's brother and also the strengthening companionship she and Natalia had found.

Carina simply couldn't understand her husband's growing paranoia, especially when he had made it so clear he would find new friends to enjoy his time with. Specifically women to have more children with.

The thought alone of her husband, and a man she still truthfully and painfully loved deeply, touching and kissing and pleasing and simply loving another woman while she was curled up in bed alone made Carina feel physically sick each time. Her stomach rocked as if she was being tossed about in a storm-battered ship, and bile rose in her throat, seeking to be expelled.

"I wish I could say that I would speak to him for you Natalia, but I only fear my presence and suggestions would aggravate the matter rather than make it better." She responded, finally looking back up to the adviser with a faint but reassuring smile.

She reached out to pat the back of Natalia's hand, leaving it to rest there afterwards for a moment or two before withdrawing. "I'm sure he will learn, in time, that you have no intentions of going anywhere. Like a child with a toy, once he comes to terms with the fact that he's just got to share you a little more than before, he will be fine. Especially... especially if he finds something to distract himself with too..."

Straightening her spine, Carina's immediate response to her own words was to hide the frown that was beginning to take place with a bright smile, "You're his best friend... and this is his brother. He'll soon realise that if all goes well, it'll mean having you closer than ever... perhaps even a permanent member of the family. How could he not be pleased with that result? Sven will come round... I'm sure he will. He'll just... need time, like with everything else he came around to. Just give it time."

To say that Natalia felt uncomfortable broaching the topic of Sven with Carina, knowing just how precarious their relationship was (to Natalia, it was teetering on the edge of complete breakdown) would be an understatement - she felt horrible with herself once seeing the effect her questions had had on her new friend. She didn't want to remind her of the difficult position she was in with Sven, to cause her to face the fact that the blissful days of parenthood and the family dynamic they had each longed for had been decimated by personal issues of distrust and discomfort... but she also couldn't hold her fears to herself.

She sought some comfort and reassurance that she wasn't going to lose her closest friend over his ridiculous paranoid thoughts. She knew what it was like to lose Sven and the experience had rendered those months apart from him tantamount to torture, such was the detrimental effect on her well-being. She wasn't solely reliant on Sven for friendship, not now she had Carina and Andrew, but that didn't mean she was willing to watch their bond be chipped away at because he had developed idiotic ideas that she was pulling away from him.

On the contrary, she wanted nothing more than to repair what had become broken, to bring her friend into the happiness that was now dominating her life. He was the one pulling away from it, refusing to so much as offer a word on her blossoming bond with Andrew nor care to see how things had changed, for the better, with Carina.

"He is rather like a child, isn't he?" She eventually responded once forcing back the urge to apologise for having put the other in the position, already knowing Carina would just waive aside her concern - and there was little point in emphasising the trouble her marriage was in. She was obviously aware of the distance that had grown between her and her husband; she probably didn't need Natalia to highlight that with her urgent apology so, however annoyed she was with herself for possibly making things uncomfortable for the Queen, she held back the desire to apologise and instead smiled to cover up her hesitation.

"If there is one thing I've learnt in this job, it's patience. I can give him time, that... sounds sensible. I just want to be able to enjoy what I have growing with Andrew with Sven there, sharing in this new part of my life. But... patience, yes. I'll be patient, wait for him to stop throwing his little tantrum and realise that... this is a good thing. Perhaps he'll see that at the masquerade? There's not long left until the event-- as far as I know, everyone invited is eager to attend and I have my mother working on the dresses so it should be a good night, I think."

"I don't.. want to sit here and promise you anything, Natalia. While I do believe he'll eventually come round and understand he isn't losing you - or Andrew, for that matter - and accept your new relationship, I can't guarantee just when that will be. We both know he has a tendency of surprising us. I've always... I've always thought the man was predictable with his emotions because, well, because you Ignisians wear them on a sleeve. But just how long they linger for or when they'll finally explode has never been a timeline I could grasp with Sven."

Her words were spoken honestly. Carina had found it easier to read Sven than anyone back in Eira, with the two kingdoms being so different in that regard. Her husband often did not attempt to hide his emotions, at least not around her. It had made things all that much easier to push buttons when they were at each other's throats, but then also to know when to step away when they were finally... in love.

However, she could never get a handle on how long his moods would last for. The last few weeks were a prime example of that. He had been murderous with her a few times after the attempt on his life, spiteful and harsh and saying things that (most unknown to her) he came to regret. Only for the next day or two, for him to show remorse and guilt. Like with his burning of her leg. Carina had been expecting the end of her life that evening, which probably sounds dramatic, but with the drunken state of her furious husband reminding her of the days in Eira where her father would stalk the palace drunk for her and Emmett... it had been a traumatic experience which saw to her using the sleeping pills from time to time where she woke from nightmares. But then the next day, he had been nothing but apologies and attempting to convince her he didn't mean it.

Leaving Carina confused and even more upset, his sincere apologies running through her mind for the rest of that day.

The young queen finally forced another smile to her lips, one of reassurance and warmth, "I'm sure if he sees how much fun you are having both at Andrew's side and at his... he may come around on the evening. Now I'm not saying to spend your time equally between them, as I'm sure Andrew will want to spend time with his brother too. But hopefully some time with him in a more... colourful setting might help relax him and assure him that you are both still friends." Carina agreed.

The mention of dresses then caught her attention, her mind going immediately to the cuts inflicted by herself on her upper legs. The weather had started growing warmer in recent months, with even spring in Ignis being unusually warm for the season. Carina realised that this meant the thinner material would soon be out in play again. Chiffons, silks, lace, linen... all material that she was still becoming accustomed to without the burden of her secret habit potentially being exposed.

Carina quietly pulled on the skirt of her dress as a reaction, as if attempting to pull it down further despite it already covering everything as it should. A few weeks ago, she would have been eager to make a statement - prove that she, an Eirian princess, was comfortable in the fabrics worn by Ignisian nobles and royals. She would have wanted a dress to make Sven's jaw drop, and impress her husband, to a point where they wouldn't be able to keep their hands off each other.

But now... all Carina wanted was something that would help her fade into the background. A dress that would protect her secret and help her attract minimal attention.

That would never be possible, though, and with Natalia's mother already having started on the dresses, Carina knew it would be far too late to request anything any way. She just had to hope that any dress slits were still modest and didn't come up to the lowest of her cuts. The last thing she would need was one of them peeking through and starting rumours.

"Yes... I'm very excited to see what your mother creates for the both of us. I'm sure they'll be beautiful." Carina continued to keep her smile in place, despite the discomfort she was beginning to feel. She fought the urge to seek out the cuts beneath her dress by running her fingers over the top of the material, and also the desire to escape to her room to inflict more in her anxiety. "Now, ah, shall we... shall we get started? I've, uh, I've drafted sleeping arrangements for those who have requested to stay the night. I've... I've done my best to keep those not so fond of each other in separate wings or with rooms between them. But I thought it best for you and... and maybe Sven to take a look over them too-- in case I missed something."

Natalia knew not to expect anything when it came to Sven; that no matter how much reassurance she might receive, the man had an irksome tendency to act in manners nobody could anticipate or predict. He was open when it came to his emotions, incapable of hiding how he truly feel at his core (unless he was embarking on some plot of manipulation, though that behaviour was firmly confined to his past these days), and as a result of such transparency, his emotions could switch in what could appear to be dramatic fashion.

One moment he could be happy and the next, if something was said he took offence to, he would allow his anger to strike, unable to hold back that storm.

So of course Natalia knew not to allow herself to harbour any true hope that he would take her growing interest in Andrew (an interest that thankfully seemed reciprocated by him) with a smile; that there was really no predicting just how things would work out when his emotions were often entirely unpredictable and, as Carina pointed out, he had a propensity to surprise them.

All she could do was hope that he would surprise her for all the right reasons, rather than let her down and make things even more tense than they already were.

"She wanted you to come by for fittings, I... think she got too excited to really acknowledge the fact you were the Queen and couldn't just stroll into the shop like that. Besides, even if you wanted to, I made the decision to just send along a dress of yours instead; you have too much to do here, you couldn't take time out of the schedule to spend the day listening to my mother gossip on and on. Trust me, I made the right call," she laughed as she absently moved aside a few papers in search of the sleeping arrangements for the guests, allowing her eyes to graze down the list. She hadn't noticed the other's hesitancy, nor the fidgeting fingers grazing the tops of her thighs and pulling at the fabric of her dress - fortunately for Carina, she wasn't to face any awkward questions from the advisor when Natalia's attention had immediately drifted to the work at hand, happy to focus on her duties.

It gave her some relief from worrying about Sven and the difficulties he may present to the happiness in her personal life.

"I'd recommend just moving King Danziel to the East Wing of the castle. I keep up to date with the politics of the other nations, and sometimes that means hearing gossip or some salacious tales and, if those were to be believed, he apparently doesn't get along well with the King of the Roseale region; something about him marrying the young woman King Danziel had met with and hoped to marry-- I don't quite know all the intricate little details, but... still, best to situate them apart from one another. Lessens the chance of a nightly bust-up, doesn't it?" Natalia murmured with thinly-veiled amusement at the idea as she examined the other names on the list, eventually nodding in approval at the rest of the preparations.

"Of course Sven will need to look it over, but seeing as he's the one who brought this gossip to me, I'm sure he'll see sense and agree to set them as far apart as possible. I know Sven would probably find it entertaining to see the man at one another's throats, but I want this party to go smoothly for us all. For Ignis' reputation on the world stage. I... I don't want there to be anything to overshadow the great work you and Sven had achieved here in such a short time."

"...Well... perhaps your mother would like a trip to the castle. She could do a fitting for the both of us and then join us for some afternoon tea in the sun parlour too. You can tell the both of us about your date with Andrew that way-- two birds, one stone, as they say." Carina offered, leaning forward to view the papers as Natalia did. She clasped her hands together after a brief period of wringing them together, her fingers entwining firmly to ensure no more fidgeting occurred. "That way she also gets her personal fitting, and it's not so far for us to go in between our duties."

The idea of being fitted while hiding her habit did unnerve Carina, but she knew it was also important to maintain the façade that all was well. If everything was as it should be, then she wouldn't be acting as though she had anything to hide. She would be making such offers to bring Natalia's mother to the palace for private measuring.

"Only if she would like that, of course, and you believe it more efficient. I don't mind a bit of harmless gossip from time to time, helps me forget about the more important things." She continued, reaching forward for the spare quill and ink jar that had been left on the coffee table.

As Natalia made her suggestions, Carina didn't hesitate to make a note and write down a selection of proposed solutions. Considering she hadn't heard the gossip - since it had been Sven to tell Natalia, after all - there would have been no way she would have known such a fact. In all honest truth, Natalia - and now slowly Andrew - had become her one and only friend after the attempt on Sven's life. With her husband having made it clear about wanting minimal contact and Carina hearing nothing since his apology the day she got the doctor to repair his stitches, the young queen had made the painful decision to continue with her husband's supposed wishes to leave his usual spaces free of her presence.

Thus meaning a lack of chance to talk, and little opportunity for her to learn about casual gossip. Not that she believed any awkward conversation they would make when there were no bodies for them to act for would ever result in the exchange of rumours and giggling whispers.

"...Yes, I think I would also prefer to keep as many people from each other's throats as possible," Carina agreed with a chuckle of amusement which didn't quite match the duller gleam to her eye, "Well, I'll leave this with you to take to him, shall I? I've made my suggestions on how to remedy the situation, he can choose which he would prefer-- or put into place his own. But yes, I agree. Especially if the King of the Roseale region brings his new bride along, which I can imagine he will. Did we send a wedding gift? I recall their wedding being last week but I can't remember if a gift of congratulations was sent."

"You-- would invite my mother to the castle for afternoon tea? I could understand inviting her for a fitting, for work, but... you'd sit with her and... and chat over tea and cake? Carina, that's unnecessary, but if you insist, I-- I would like that a lot. As would she. I'm entirely certain you'll grow tired because my mother really does enjoy to gossip, however. Particularly when she's excited," came Natalia's quiet response, the conclusion of her sentences ending with a faint chuckle. Though genuine, it did also have the advantage of distancing herself from the genuine emotion that had arisen at Carina's offer, one that she hadn't been fishing for simply because she didn't anticipate it ever being extended towards her.

She had tried to hint at bringing her mother to the castle, if only for a little look around the gardens that were so incongruous to a kingdom of fire and ash like Ignis, but each time such unsubtle hopes were dashed by Sven who never really gave a reason behind his decision. Either way, Natalia had gotten the message that her request would always be refused so she had given up every trying for it and, subsequently, her mother had dropped hoping for it.

The fact someone she was only recently becoming friends with was kind enough to extend the invitation when Sven, her best friend, hadn't was something she couldn't quite wrap her head around - though she wisely opted not to focus too much on it in fear of making things awkward. Instead, she offered a bright smile and returned her gaze to the papers in her hand, even if none of the words on the pages really registered.

"I'll, uh... get these along to him in a moment, he shouldn't reject our proposals unless he's in an awkward mood and things it'll be entertaining to put a spanner in the works," she retorted with another chuckle, one that didn't stand to disguise anything. As annoyed as she would be if Sven opted to be stubborn to amuse himself (and it was likely given the sort of person he was), the fact he was the King of the entire nation capable of such childish behaviour could never not be humorous to Natalia.

She often wished that he would be a little more serious and less petulant and prone to throwing his toys out the pram when things failed to go his way... but she doubted he was ever going to change those aspects of his personality. Choosing to laugh at him, rather than growing irked, was at least sparing her the stress he inevitably would bring her in future years.

"Oh, I think we sent vintage champagne for the King and-- ah, a brooch for the bride, I'm sure. Sven wasn't keen on it, I think he was content to not send anything - though he did suggest plucking some flowers from the garden. I... made the decision not to follow that advice, they would only wilt and die during the journey. He didn't seem to realise that - or maybe he did and thought it would be funny, I can't work him out sometimes."

The rest of the week passed in a whirlwind of events. Carina had organised a date for which Natalia's mother could come to the castle for their fittings plus some afternoon tea, Andrew had taken Natalia on the date (which he felt was rather successful, if he did say so himself), and the final details of the Ball had to be signed off by Sven who usually got Carina's suggestions via Natalia. From there, the Queen didn't mind what was agreed or changed, so long as the majority of the work wasn't on Sven's plate.

Each day, she continued to recover from the birth and the injury inflicted by Sven's flames. The bump was slowly and steadily flattening, although it had left behind a few stretch marks despite her best intentions. Then there was also the issue with her breasts, bigger than normal and the young queen often found things a little tighter around the chest because of it. Her hormones were still recovering too, leading her to get over emotional about it at times - to which she then felt silly for even getting upset.

Lorcan seemed to grow bigger, but at three-weeks old, he was still crying a lot. Carina visited him regularly to feed him, the week apart from him alone making her anxious to make as much of the time she had with him as she could. Although there would also be times she asked the nanny to take him to Sven, knowing the other was ordered to stay in bed at least for a few days... and not wanting the father to miss out on time with his son.

Despite the rift in their relationship, and the hurt that had been caused by either side, Carina couldn't help but continue to love Sven. At a distance, a painful one at that, under the impression that nothing would ever mend that tear between them, yet still there.

On the evening of the ball, Carina had just stared at herself in the mirror. Natalia's mother had done a fine job on the dress, which was off the shoulder with soft, flowing material. A light purple, with jewels at the bodice that faded away into the skirt. It synched in at the waist, making her look smaller than she currently was, which she appreciated. The neckline was lower than she had wanted, and perhaps really felt comfortable with given the growth she had had in her chest, so had requested a silk shawl to go over her bare shoulders if she ever felt too uncomfortable in the night. Her hair was pinned up, a matching light purple ribbon woven through the elegant bun, and a mask framed eyes that held dark eye-shadow and thick lashes.

Entering the ball with Sven, it had been the first time she had seen him in a while, and she could barely bring herself to look at him when they gathered together outside the doors for their announcement. Shame, guilt, fear, anger, irritation... love, affection, desire (especially in his suit), adoration... there was not one emotion she did not feel when looking at him, and it killed her.

After their announcement and the first dance had been successfully completed, Carina knew they still had a long night ahead of them. While she had been eager to have the ball in order to make a statement, she couldn't fight the urge to just hide away. The last time she had been in the Great Hall had been when her life had been spared... but her marriage announced as null and void in every sense but the legality of it. The mere thought had her fingers twitching, the young queen battling with the desire to punish herself again as she had been doing for the past two weeks.

To busy herself, she quickly snagged a glass from a passing tray, hastily downing the contents to place the flute on another passing tray before collecting another. She breathed out a soft sigh, the sound contradicting the warm smile she had on her lips for those looking her way.

Despite everything that was going on in his personal life, from the injury he had sustained that continued to cause him trouble (albeit mostly as a result of his own idiotic attempt to sew his own wound) to the confusing state of his marriage, there was never a doubt in Sven's mind when it came to continuing the plans for the grand ball. It was an idea he was immensely proud of; a statement of intent to the kingdoms existing beyond the boundary of Ignis that he was not his father, nor like any of the ancestors before him.

He was a King who was prepared to work with others, not against them, and what better way of showing that intention than inviting everyone into his kingdom? Ignis had long been closed to the world outside it, the policy of isolationism being maintained by fathers and sons for generations. Inviting in royals he had every desire to get to know on a personal basis and forming connections beyond the ones needed for business and trade was an idea he thought would have no downsides - nothing seemed more appealing than getting dressed up, dancing and conversing all night with fine food and even finer wine in accompaniment.

Naturally, such an eagerness had gradually deteriorated as the week progressed, every optimistic outlook he had had ultimately evading him. How could he look forward to an event when it required him to stand beside a wife who he had barely spoken to in almost three weeks? Sven could pride himself on his acting skills and his ability to plaster a smile on his face even in the most pressing of situations, but never before had he loved someone as deeply and as endlessly as he loved Carina. The breakdown of their relationship hurt him, and trying to present a happy image to the other royals he deeply wanted to impress and connect to was easier said than done.

Hell, if nothing else, parading around with Carina on his arm was a cruel reminder of what might had been. They could have genuinely been happy at the ball together, enjoying each other's company without difficulty. Instead, the young King had to come to terms with the fact that the night would be a display of feigned emotions; disguises harbouring the hurt and pain they both felt.

On the bright side, the man had at least overcome the physical pain he had been inundated with. There were slight niggles and sharp twinges here and there, but the pain had evaded him enough to relax any concerns his doctor had of him mingling with guests and engaging in ballroom dances. That was one of the only positives that had arrived during the week, though it wasn't enough to blind him to the awkwardness and even discomfort of entering the grand ballroom with his wife, knowing that their joyous presentation was merely a facade.

A necessary facade, sure, but a facade nonetheless.

"...If you're going to drink, try and do so without downing the entire thing in one, Carina. It isn't subtle," he remarked beneath his breath as he glanced towards the woman, any bitterness alleviating in favour of his dismay. He didn't want her reliant on the wine to make it through the evening, the realisation only confounding the bad place they were in; a place he genuinely didn't want to have to reside in.

The King forced a smile to a nearby couple, a hand raised in greeting, though subtly turned his back to shield the guests from witnessing the less than overjoyed expression. It wasn't one of anger or annoyance, but of concern and exasperation, emphasised more so by his tense body language.

"We should really join up for another dance before we mingle and dance with others. To them, we have every reason to be all over one another, let's... at least live up to those expectations, as difficult as I'm sure you're finding it," he continued as he ran a hand down his suit jacket to smooth out the lines, his other hand gently moving a stray strand of hair that had fallen over his forehead. Only then did he extend that hand across to her, even if his eyes weren't quite able to meet her own. It was far too difficult to do so when, in his eyes, she had never quite looked as beautiful as she did right now, and knowing he couldn't gush over her as he would have done in their happier times was just another thing to torment him.

"We have to pretend we're enjoying tonight, by all means necessary."

Her head turned to look at him, slightly surprised he had even remained by her side once the dance had finished. She had expected him to mingle with the Ignisian nobles, and those from the nearby kingdoms. She would have, of course, done the same, but needed a drink first to steady her nerves. Which was the real reason why she downed the alcohol as hastily as she did; not out of a reliance to get her through a night of pretending to be happy, but because she was nervous. Nervous about entertaining the Ignisian nobles who she imagined still viewed her with distaste. Impressing and appealing to the town folk was one thing, nobility was an entirely different ballgame.

Carina's eyes dropped to the wine in her hand, her tongue being held as he continued to speak. She didn't appreciate the lecture, especially when he was completely off mark with how she was feeling. Not that he had any reason to believe her downing of the drink was anything else, since they hadn't spoken in weeks. Even Natalia didn't know the full extent to her anxiety.

It would have been a night where she would have relied on him heavily; needing him to reassure her and be the strength she desperately wanted. To gently encourage the small talk into topics of conversation she would know and be able to engage with.

However, she knew that wouldn't be a possibility. Not with him handling the majority of state affairs now and her keeping herself busy with Lorcan. She didn't know much about what was going on in the kingdom, but she was beginning to bitterly wonder what was even the point in knowing. Her title was hollow and meaningless, it held no real depth or strength anymore. Just like her marriage.

"I'm sorry." Carina answered quietly, placing the second but untouched glass onto the head table behind them. She was beyond explaining herself to him, with the last few times resulting in his pure disbelief and, while she was certain it wouldn't happen again, a nasty incident with his fire. Carina was simply exhausted with trying to have him see the truth to her words, the fight having left her to get him to do so the moment she saw his attempts to restitch his wound.

The young queen slipped her own hand into his, allowing him to lead her back out into the centre of the room and spin her. As she did so, a warm smile graced her lips, an immediate transformation as she built back up the façade he wanted. That they needed.

She smiled and kept her eyes on him for the majority of the dance, only looking away when she needed to see where she was stepping next if they changed direction. The longer she gazed up at him, the more painful it became, to be so close to him and to be held so firmly in his arms as if all was okay, as if he still loved her and truly wanted to keep her close for as long as possible... Carina had to fight the tears back, masking the lump in her throat with a delighted laugh as she was spun outward and then circled back in.

Even in the context of being at a ball, an event that held political and social consequences if the atmosphere were to take a downward turn, Sven didn't expect the other to relent as easily as she did. He had anticipated a little mutter in disapproval at his critique, perhaps even accompanied by a daring scowl up in warning at him. She wouldn't be in the wrong to defend herself, and she had always seemed, to him, to be the sort of person who defended themselves to the best of their ability; to very rarely back down.

To see her almost meekly retreat might have been for the best given the circumstances around them (and just how vital it was that they maintain their facades) was almost shocking - particularly when the apology soon left her lips too. The shock didn't last too long, however; not when the dull throb of sadness started to ache within his chest in realisation that she had just... given in.

Again, he couldn't blame her. What was the point in fighting for their marriage when he had made it abundantly clear almost three weeks prior that he wanted nothing to do with her; that their marriage was little more than a husk, only truly in place for political purposes? She had every right to back down and give up when he had demanded her to do so... but such words had been spat in fierce anger and were no longer representative of how he felt.

Because in reality, he wanted nothing more than to regain what they had once had. To be a family again. And while he felt awkward and didn't quite know how to approach such a conversation, the ball was, apparently, entirely in his court.

He breathed in quietly as he took her hand and made his way back onto the centre of the ballroom floor, his spare hand returning to the position at the dip of her waist. Just that contact, so intimate and tender, was enough to cause the pang of sadness within him to intensify - and how could he falsify a smile when he was hurting as badly as he was? Carina might have found the strength to laugh and present that all-important image of happiness to those around them but Sven found himself incapable of doing so, his expression blank though an indication of the despair he was fighting against remained visible in the depths of his eyes.

Eventually, he bit back the discomfort and made eye contact with her once more, knowing that he might not be taking too seriously if he evaded the intimacy of that action.

"...I don't want to do this anymore, Carina. I don't want to argue and bicker and feel so dejected around you. I want to be happy, to show you my love and-- and be a family again. I want to-- I want to be your husband again; to fill the role properly rather than it being a meaningless title. I want... us back," he began, taking his time to carefully think out each word before they left his mouth - he couldn't risk blurting it all out and inadvertently uttering something that could jeopardise the attempt altogether.

He paused a moment to collect his words, though took the opportunity to at least focus on the swooping ballroom moves, aware that, despite the emotional conversation, he couldn't afford to arouse suspicion.

"I want to be with you again, Carina. I want to make this work. Do you-- want that too? I don't want to put words in your mouth but I... I know you love me and I love you. I always have, that's never altered," he continued as his hand slipped from her waist to her upper thigh, testing the waters with a little more intimacy. "You look beautiful; I mean, you always look beautiful, of course, but you look exceptionally exquisite tonight."

Did Carina expect her husband to utter such words after the cold, precise manner in which he dismissed their marriage three weeks ago? Not at all. The distance that they had maintained, of course not helped by the fact he was bedbound for the majority of that time, only served to fuel her beliefs that he had meant every word. Especially those he had chosen to spit at her while drunk the night of 'the incident'. She had expected to go along the rest of her life, helping raise Lorcan but watching as he had more children with another woman. Potentially forget about her and fall in love with another.

If it weren't for the eye contact he ensured to make, given that was something he had avoided doing in the weeks gone by, Carina was stunned by the sincerity within his eyes. A bit of pain, yes, but honesty and truth and an openness she hadn't seen to her husband since the day before the attack on his life.

It caused her smile to falter momentarily, before she remembered where she was and what part she was supposed to be playing. So instead she softened the smile so she didn't have to maintain the bright, broad one she had painted on in the first place.

She didn't dare speak, lest she interrupted his though process and potentially caused him to make a retraction and regret his decision to even consider allowing her back into his life. To hear he still loved her, that he wanted them to be a family, was everything and more that she had been longing to hear. It even brought tears to her eyes, and they glittered under the ballroom lights.

Her hand moved from his shoulder to cup his cheek, her own becoming stained with dots of pink due to the tears that were glistening but had yet to fall. If anyone were to ask, she could easily say he had complimented her or said something and her motherly hormones got the best of her. She was sure a few of the women in the room would understand.

Such was the desire to have him back in the ways in which he spoke, Carina didn't even consider if this was just an attempt of manipulation, or just a moment of weakness he had. She wanted to live in that moment and grasp onto the thin sliver of hope he had provided. She wanted her husband back; she didn't want to sleep in a cold, half-empty bed any longer. She wanted him back by her side in every sense of the word. They had both hurt one another with cutting words and, even though she hadn't been the one to wield the knife, some physical affliction. Neither of them were perfect. She had withheld the truth, had abused his trust... but perhaps they were both even now. Perhaps now was the time to start afresh. Like phoenixes from the ashes, as it were.

"Sven, I-- there's nothing I want more..." Carina began during his second pause as she lowered her hand back to his shoulder, her whispered response thick with emotion, "I love--" She cut off, however, as his hands slid lower than her waist. She sucked in a soft breath, but not because it was the most intimate they had been for almost a month, but because of where his hands now hovered.

The young queen could feel the chiffon and silk layers of her dress grazing against the cuts she had created in that same area. Immediately, anxiety knotted her stomach and her body stiffened, her dancing movements no longer as fluid and graceful as they once were. Fear nagged at her: what if the material caught on one of the healing scabs and pulled it off? What if blood began to peek through the dress - it had many layers, but each of them thin and flimsy. If there was too much, she wouldn't be able to play it off as red wine. Shame crept up on her next, and she lowered her eyes as a result. What would the people here think of her if they knew what their queen was doing? What would Sven think? Natalia? Andrew? She couldn't afford to break the façade they all wanted or expected from her. The strong, resilient, just but warm and caring queen.

It became too much for Carina, who halted their dance. Hastily, she smiled, "I-I'm sorry, I just-- I think that wine has gone through me quicker than I thought." She lied, although she would be heading to the bathroom, just to check on the scars. "I-- I'll be back soon. Perhaps-perhaps we can have another dance... and... continue this conversation." She added, reaching out to graze her knuckles against his cheek again.

She curtseyed low before excusing herself once again, slipping through the watchers to escape to the bathroom.

Sven might have prepared himself for a possible rejection, but he genuinely didn't believe it would arrive. Admittedly a rejection might have been the most understandable of all the possible actions Carina could make - after all she had endured as a result of Sven's choices, accidental or otherwise, she had every justifiable right to reject his attempt to smooth over the cracks that had appeared and make him suffer a little longer for his cruelty.

But he just had an inexplainable, inherent belief that such a rejection wouldn't arrive. They might not have uttered so much as a word to one another prior to the masquerade ball but he didn't need those words and gushing admissions to know that she still loved him - he just had that instinctual feeling that the love he still held for her was reciprocated. Hence his decision to approach the possibility of that reunion; of working at their marriage and hopefully, in time, return it to the strength it had been at before the troubles damaged it.

...Though her words seemed to contradict her reaction to his own, the hopefulness behind his smile starting to drift when their dance was abruptly halted. Though she confessed that she wanted nothing more than to return to the expressions of love within a tight, strong marriage, how could he honestly believe that to be true when her physical response to his touch seemed to dispute them? Hell, she seemed fearful of the contact, and while a part of him understood that when he had once, in a drunken stupor, released his flames upon her skin, that lack of trust was hardly the stable bed to rebuild a marriage from.

He desperately wanted to think otherwise, but her behaviour -particularly her choice to interrupt their dance and rush off- didn't really... help to convince him that her words were as genuine as he wanted to believe they were. He bit the inside of his cheek hard as she made her exit, forcing back the wave of humiliation and discomfort that inevitably arose hen he took into consideration the fact that everyone around him continued to waltz to the music in contrast to him, standing alone and immobile in the middle of the floor.

He knew without a doubt that they had witnessed Carina's sudden abandonment of their dance; that no matter how focused they might be on their own dances, they made quick glances across at the Ignisian rulers and would find time within the night to ponder the reasoning behind it. As much as Sven might have wanted to abandon the dance entirely to wallow in the safety of his bedroom and try and force away the sudden belief that Carina's feelings weren't reciprocated. It was merely a fear rather than a substantiated fact - but what other conclusions was he supposed to draw from her fearful response and abrupt abandon of him and their dance?

He didn't want to believe that he had misconstrued the love she held for him, that it no longer existed... but the evidence seemed to be pointing in that direction. Inevitably, anger started to seep in (albeit mostly aimed at himself and his own perceived idiocy for believing they could return to how they had been in their past) and there didn't seem to be anyone around to alleviate it - he didn't want to interrupt Andrew or Natalia from their dance. He might not be particularly thrilled by their closeness (not when he was still paranoid about being left friendless and alone) but he wasn't cold-hearted; he could see how they were both enjoying themselves and just because he was in a bad place didn't mean he was prepared to drag them down into it with him.

All he could do was manage a few feeble smiles as he exited the centre of the ballroom, opting to reside along the periphery with a glass of champagne in hand. Relying on alcohol to get him through the evening wasn't the best choice he could make but it was all he really had right now.

Eris Litost, the daughter of a Baron who lived south-west of the palace, had been one of those to keep an eye on the king and queen all evening. Despite the attempts to maintain a façade, the nobility had heard whispers about how the royal couple didn't share the same bed anymore. The reason was unclear, but the servants and maids did like to gossip. The Litost family had been one of many who had picked up on such rumours, and decided they would make a play themselves, regardless of if the word of a servant was true or not.

She knew she would have to act quickly, especially now that the king was alone with a glass of alcohol in hand, his wife having moments ago just scurried from the scene. Eris would have laughed if it weren't so pitiful. It almost made the game no fun. The fact she had run off at the mere, intimate touch from her husband had said everything Eris wanted to know - or at least, seemingly so.

With a shared look with her mother, Eris picked up a flute of champagne herself and seemed to glide on air as she walked around the circle of dancers. Her chin was raised, her shoulders back and steps graceful as she made her move toward the Crowned King of Ignis. Her clothing had been picked to give her the best advantage for what she, and her family, had planned for that night. A dark blue gown hugged her curves in the bodice, pushing up her breasts slightly but not so much that it seemed as though she was trying. The sleeves laid off her shoulders, and white and silver embroidered flowers decorated the corset section of the gown. From her hips, the material dropped down, hiding the silver shoes that adorned her feet and lengthened her legs. Her hair had been tied up into an elegant updo, with strands of wavy hair falling down around her shoulders and collarbone.

"You're an excellent dancer, my King." Eris murmured in greeting, waiting until he had provided her with his attention before curtseying low to the floor and remaining there. She looked up to him, under hooded eyes and heavy lashes, and reached out to take his once hand, grazing the back of his knuckles with her lips. "My name is Litost, Your Majesty, Eris Litost. Daughter of Baron Theodore Litost of Penrith."

Slowly, she brought herself out of the curtsey, taking her time in order to show off her figure and poise. "I only wish I could find a dance partner who was as strong a leader as you are, Your Majesty." She continued from her earlier comment tactfully, ensuring to avoid any mention of the Queen given the abrupt departure. While he hadn't reacted negatively, Eris could have only assumed his pride was wounded.

Her head turned to look back out to the dancers, watching them for a moment as the music started up once more. Her throat was bare, except for a single, simple necklace that hung around her neck, the sapphire at the end of the silver chain nestled between her breasts.

Eris eventually looked back to him, offering another warm smile, "If you don't mind my... daring, Your Majesty... perhaps you wouldn't mind showing me how a real gentleman should lead. I would be honoured to share a dance with you, and I promise I would keep up."

Even though Sven was well aware of the facade he needed to maintain for the guests in attendance, it was easier said than done. He was doing his best to achieve that casualness; to act as if his thoughts (already poisoned by paranoia) weren't eating away at him and causing him to believe that the marriage he had been so certain of rebuilding was, instead, broken beyond repair. He had to force that smile and lift his champagne playfully in amusement whenever a guest caught his eye... despite not wanting to participate in the masquerade a second further.

Not when it just served to emphasise what could have been; that potentiality of happiness that had, prior to Carina's departure, seemed so close within his grasp. Now it had never been further from it.

All he wanted to do was wallow in his own sorrow. However unhelpful that might be, he didn't have the strength to continue a moment longer with the night of festivities when he felt as far from joyous and celebratory as was possible... yet he knew he had to. He had a duty to his kingdom to uphold standards, and while he enjoyed the thought of grabbing a bottle of champagne and lounging in bed for the rest of the night, he instead forced his shoulders back, stood tall and continued to present that outwardly appearance of enthusiasm and enjoyment.

It became a tad harder to maintain that when Eris approached, however. It was nothing personal towards the girl -whose family he was aware of and had respect for (he was, after all, oblivious to their duplicitous plan)- but he had no real desire to spend his time with anyone, not when his mood was already at a particularly low point. It was hard enough forcing a smile to keep the guests at a distance from him unsuspicious - how could he keep the facade going when he was expected to converse with someone; to have them be close enough to see all the nuances of his facial expressions?

Though, the presumed difficulty did ebb slightly at Eris' comments, the King's sullenness starting to disappear when he took into account just how... sweet she was. It was hard to remain stony-faced in response to it, Sven instead finding the corners of his lips tilting upwards into an unmistakeable smile at her request. He had no qualms in accepting invitations to dance, the expectation of doing so with countless of the guests being in place for both him and Carina... even if he realised he probably shouldn't have let his eyes wander as much as they did.

Though if his marriage was over, if Carina truly couldn't stand even the gentlest of intimate touches, why should he restrict himself of a little enjoyment, however tame?

"I'm afraid I am not the marvellous dancer you seem to perceive me as, but I would be an awful host if I were to turn down your request, wouldn't I? And if nothing else, I'd like to pride myself on being a good host; of showing the new qualities Ignisians have to offer. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure dancing is one of those qualities I possess," he laughed under his breath, the noise sounding foreign to his ears given how little it had been audible in the last three weeks - and he couldn't pretend he wasn't surprised at the fact it was Eris who had brought it out of him.

He extended an arm to the Baron's daughter with an encouraging nod, having abandoned his half-full champagne in order to take advantage of the chance to -maybe- lift his spirits up a bit, if only for a few minutes. The fact Eris didn't flinch from his touch as he rested his other hand on her waist was enough to encourage that.

"I'm delighted you and your family were able to attend the masquerade tonight; I hope it's met your expectations thus far?"

"But is that not what these masquerades are all about? Pretending to be something you're not? That's why I find them terribly exciting, Your Majesty. Even those on the lowest rung can pretend they belong amongst the stars on a night like tonight." She lowered her voice to a whisper, as if it were a naughty secret to keep just between them. The beginnings of a grin pulled at the corners of her mouth, laughter dancing in her eyes as she took a sip of her champagne.

At his offered arm, Eris placed her glass on the table alongside his before taking it. She settled in to the motion, bringing herself close to him as his other hand laid at her waist. Her one hand balanced delicately on his shoulder, while the other laid in his. For a moment, Eris brought her eyes up to meet his, the silver and white of her mask only enhancing the darkness of her irises. When the dance started, she allowed him to lead her, leaning her head back on each swirl around to gain more momentum and flourish.

Her mission was to act like every inch of perfect nobility. The kind that should have been on the throne instead of some Eirian princess who should have melted at the first sign of trouble. Eris and her family were those of the mind that the new king should have married within, or at least should have taken a mistress early on in preparation for when he had a reason to expel or execute the orphaned princess. While the Litost family were... grateful and appreciated some of the changes made by the new king, they were still traditional.

As the dance continued, Eris straightened herself to meet the king's gaze again. She gave a light and breathless laugh, smiling warmly, "We were delighted to have received an invitation, Your Majesty. It's not every day that one can visit the grand castle of Ignis." She answered, deciding to take a more humble approach, "I've always had a dream of seeing the palace in person, I just never expected to have that opportunity."

She then allowed the silence to linger between them, but not awkwardly or uncomfortably, just for a few steps before she decided to leave a hint of suggestion in her tone, "And your offer for us to stay the evening after the party is over was most kind of you," she dropped her voice to a murmur, looking back up to him through her lashes, "Though I fear my parents would look to retire much earlier than I would want... I wouldn't wish to get lost in these many corridors trying to find my sleeping quarters... would... a servant be able to help me when the time comes?"

In an ideal situation, Eris would hope for the young king to offer himself as a guide back to her chambers. But she also knew there was the possibility of having to work slowly, but steadily, to win his attention and affections. While servants talked, they couldn't know for certain the full extent of the damage within the relationship of the royal couple.

"Only if one is able... I wouldn't wish to be a burden."

Though her words had the impression of being innocent, Sven picked up on the mischief that existed within them. He was naive to the plan being executed, therefore naive to the fact that her behaviour was more calculated than entirely natural, but he was at least aware enough to pick up on the impishness being presented. That was probably the intent, of course; to lean into the playfulness and catch his attention, but, once again, he wasn't quite wise enough to recognise the fact that every trait on display was purposeful and planned.

Something he deemed spontaneously bold, like her engaging with the mischievous nature of her words and inadvertently creating a sense of secrecy, was far from natural, rather the actions following a carefully curated plan.

It was entirely plausible that the King would have leant into engaging with Eris even if he wasn't in an emotionally raw state. As dearly as he loved Carina -a feeling he still held even despite their problems and his belief that his advances had been rejected-, faithfulness was something that didn't tend to come naturally to Sven; not when he had spent much of his adult life collecting lovers to spend his time with. Dedicating his life to a single person had never been his image of a good, fulfilling life - he knew he would marry (that was inevitable) but he had never considered loyally remaining at that person's side when there were other women whose attention he knew he would just end up craving.

That had changed when he and Carina began to bond and emotionally connect; the love he had for her was genuine and deep, and had altered the casual bachelor lifestyle he had once hoped to maintain throughout his marriage. His promises of loyalty weren't falsehoods to manipulate her, but a genuine confession of his innermost feelings - she had always made him want to be a better man and the thought of proving that to her each and every day had, at one time, filled him with joy.

Obviously, such thoughts embittered and upset him in equal fashion when he considered how pathetic his marriage was in its frailty and instability.

So why bother resisting what he perceived as an advance from Eris? Her careful -but playful- words and the easiness in which she danced with him, as their bodies towed the line of being too close together, indicated that there was an interest, and while he knew he could be misconstruing matters in his desperation to feel something other than his overwhelming loneliness, he also didn't want to be wrong. He wanted to will the other's interest in him into existence, rather than refuse to engage with such a thought - he had no reason to when, in his eyes, Carina no longer wanted him.

If Eris did, who was he to turn her down; someone whose beauty genuinely caught his breath?

It was hard to resist someone like her at the best of times... but he was powerless against it in his current circumstance.

"Ignis has had an awful reputation, but I'm glad to hear that the grandeur of the castle was at least a point of admiration throughout it all. If there is one thing that my ancestors have done right, it was constructing this castle. It is quite remarkable," he began, even though he soon grimaced to himself in disappointment. He was a smooth-talker, someone renowned for an easy charm (to be adept with manipulation, he had to know how to charm people) but he wasn't exactly used to flirting; not after so many months solely dedicated to Carina. Hell, even before her, he only really had two lovers who he hadn't needed to flirtatiously charm.

He knew he wanted to explore what Eris was seemingly hinting at, however subtly - which made his annoyance at himself intensify, fearing the opportunity to actually have a little fun would just slip through his fingers.

"No, there's absolutely no need for me to bother any of my staff; I'm quite able to show you to your room for the night, Eris. I'd be happy to, in fact. I want to be a good host, after all. No, my staff can get on with their duties and I'll be the one to lead you to your sleeping quarters," he confirmed suddenly, a smile pulling back at the corner of his lips. "If that's quite alright with you, of course? I don't wish to ruin what I hope will be a budding friendship between us - and indeed, our nations."

That was easier than she anticipated.

The King, whether or not he meant it in a civil, pleasant way or if he had picked up on her more suggestive tone, had willingly taken it upon himself to be her escort when the time arrived. She had given him the option of allowing a servant to take her, yet he had dived in which no hesitation, and Eris believed that in itself spoke lengths of the break down in marriage.

She had heard about how the King and Queen were, seemingly, so in love before. That they had been so tender and caring and affectionate with one another. That even, at one point, they had shared a bedroom together and that the King had stayed by the Queen's side for the entirety of her labour with the Crown Prince. Thus, she knew how difficult it could have been to turn the King's head. However, she had been confident from the moment she saw the young queen scurry away, like his touch had scolded her. A man who enjoyed multiple lovers surely couldn't change his colours that quickly either, especially if one option was supposedly closed off.

"On the contrary, my King, I would be both honoured and delighted." She smiled back, straightening her back from the curved arch it had taken during another spin. "I will try to last longer than my parents now, knowing you'll be my guide tonight."

As the dance continued, Eris could see that the Queen had returned to the ballroom, a man looking oddly similar to the King of Ignis standing beside her. Both watching the pair dancing, and if it weren't for the fact that Eris knew that the king was the one swirling her around, she would have sworn he was stood beside Carina.

There was something smugly satisfying in seeing the Ice Queen's reaction, however fleeting, to her husband dancing with someone else. Eris wasn't to know the conversation that was had prior to her worming her way in, but Carina was certainly hurt and confused by the whole situation. She knew she hadn't handled it well, but to see Sven now holding a beauty in his arms and dancing ever so closely with her, left her wondering if she had imagined his desires to reconnect. It made her consider if he had even spoken the truth, or if he had gone back to his manipulating ways, or if he was simply trying to hurt her on purpose.

Eris looked back to Sven, hiding the smirk that wished to take over her features as she watched the Queen turn away after grabbing a glass from a nearby tray to drink half of it rather hurriedly.

"Perhaps you would be willing to give me a tour of the castle one day. I do enjoy learning about the history of the castles... especially from those that reside within them. They are the people that you can find out the most from... all the hidden passageways, secret doors and best ways to bid a hasty escape." Her tone continued to be light, teasing, flirtatious.

The offer to escort Eris might have come too quickly (and he was almost sure that he hadn't managed to disguise that urgency) but Sven couldn't allow the opportunity to pass him by. He wasn't entirely sure what he was hoping would arise from their interactions, nor whether anything would indeed materialise from them... but if there was that chance of spending his time with someone who didn't recoil from his touch and attention, he would be an idiot to turn that down.

At the back of his mind, of course there existed just a flicker of guilt; a burning reminder of the marriage vows he had undertaken that, in recent months, he had dedicated himself entirely to because his bond with Carina meant that much to him. Regardless of how badly damaged such a bond had become, he still had those duties and responsibilities to her and their son - abandoning their marriage entirely before they really began to work at repairing those cracks wasn't the wisest of choices.

But frankly, he couldn't put himself through another rejection. Though unaware of her reasons, Carina's behaviour in dashing away from his side mid-dance caused humiliation and a cut pride - but more than that, it hurt him. He wasn't prepared to put himself through anything that could make him feel that hopelessly lost again, even if that meant all but ignoring the marital vows and adopting some casual behaviours; ones he hadn't engaged in out of respect for Carina and the love they had.

But if that love was gone, what reason was there for resisting someone as tempting as Eris was?

"What sort of host would I be if I refused? I would love to show you on a tour, of course - and given my servants' propensity for gossip, perhaps you'll learn more than the boring stuff. Though I doubt it'd be anything salacious or newsworthy; as exciting as Ignis is, it's all rather slow in the castle at the moment. I'm not a boring man, god no, but-- fatherhood is rather exhausting. I'd rather sleep than party these days, tonight being a rare exception," he admitted with a faint laugh. He might not be fully aware of what he wanted to happen with Eris, but he knew, without a doubt, that he was flirting with her, and so mentioning his son and thereby drawing attention to the fact he was married wasn't an angle he felt would best suit his aim.

...Though he was naive to the fact that Eris was fully aware of that marriage and had no qualms in pushing the couple further apart.

Yet, mentioning Lorcan at least put him more at ease, a wider smile growing on his face at the simple thought of his son and the time he had spent with him since his birth. Regardless of the difficulties in his marriage and with his health, Lorcan never failed to cheer him up. Often, Sven thought the boy was the only real glimmer of sunlight he had left in his life.

Unaware of Carina's observations, he dared to rest his hand lower just as the dance ended- albeit subtly to avoid everyone else in the room noticing and erupting into whispered gossiping.

"Though tonight's a success in more way than one, I suppose. I feel far more like myself; it's been rather helpful in igniting some former tendencies I regret abandoning. Now, let me get you a drink - I'd welcome chatting with you a little longer. You do rather intrigue me, Eris. There's more to you than meets the eye, isn't there? I do like that in a person; hidden depths and all of that."