Playing with Fire

Despite Sven's words, she continued to hesitate and think over what she had said or done. However, she soon came around to what her husband had said, and reluctantly conceded defeat to the fact that there was nothing she could have, or should have, done differently. It wasn't that Carina cared all that much for Natalia. That much was clear to begin with. She hardly trusted the woman, after all that had happened, and she doubted they would ever see eye to eye in the future.

This was more about trying to uphold her promise to Sven. She gave her word that she would allow Natalia a second chance because she knew how important it was for her husband to have at least one friend close by. Of course she liked to think that she also counted as one of his friends, but she was also aware that there would be times and issues that he wouldn't be able to come to her for advice or just to simply rant. Carina was aware, albeit painfully so, of how close the adviser and the king were previous to the whole fiasco that went do. While she still had to learn about their full history together as lifelong friends, she would have had to have been blind to see just how much they meant to each other.

So she wanted to make things work with Natalia. For Sven's sake.

"Yes... of course, you must be starving. I do hope you're drinking water as well as coffee, you'll be coming down with a headache by dinner time otherwise." She answered, reluctantly allowing the subject of the adviser to be dropped.

Two of the palace footmen soon arrived with trays of food for them to pick at, three plates stacked on the end of one tray since Carina hadn't been expecting Natalia to leave as hastily as she had done. They placed the food on the coffee table in the office, which stood between a sofa and two armchairs.

"You also have some time with this one while he's still awake. Don't leave it too long, otherwise he'll be back to sleep before you know it." She smiled softly, standing once the footmen had left at her request to give them some privacy, "It's a shame he didn't do that more often last night."

The reminder of how relentless their son had been during the night was a welcome distraction from the topic of Natalia. Her frame of mind and emotional well-being were important to him - even after all she had done to wreck his own.

Perhaps it was because he knew how lonely a place it was to be in that mindset that he couldn't wish the same on her, especially not now she had this second chance. It might be wishful thinking to believe things could go back to normal, that they could slot into the friendship they had had since their early teens without trouble, but he hoped to because the way he platonically cared for her had never changed, even in the midst of his heartache for the pain she had caused him.

But he didn't want to have that dominate the time he had with his wife and son. Natalia seemed relatively okay so he could check up on her later on without making a big deal out of something that could actually be far more minuscule than they thought. For now, focusing on the lunch hour he had free from work with the two people that meant the most to him was all he desired to do, and so, the change of conversation, focusing on their son, was a welcome relief.

"Mm, but he can be as loud as he wants if he stays this happy. Look at him; he's so content and-- maybe I'm biased, but he's the cutest baby I've ever seen. Follows you, I suppose," he replied as he settled himself down in one of the armchairs, his eyes grazing the various foods prepared for them before selecting a few cuts of cured meat.

"...You know, I was considering trying to rebuild my friendship with Thorin. Natalia's been given a second chance and... so perhaps Thorin will recognise that and give me one. It's worth trying, isn't it? Because he-- he's always been at my side, since we were children. When I had nobody, he and Natalia were there," he continued as he eased back into the comfort of the armchair, quickly smiling so she knew he wasn't about to start getting choked up again.

"I'm not going to grow emotional, don't worry. If he decides against it, I'm... fine with that. I have you, and ultimately, you and our son are all I need. But it'll be nice to try and make amends, won't it? To... show him I've changed, that I regret my past actions."

"I-- I guess." Carina blinked, peering up from Lorcan after pulling the neckline of his shirt away from his face after he tried to bury himself into it. Hearing Sven's desire to make things right with Thorin shouldn't have come as a surprise, especially with the former having provided Natalia a second chance. Clearly it was hoped that these second chances would catch like wildfire. However, given the fact that it wasn't Sven that needed to give Thorin a second chance, what had transpired between the two men, and what Carina knew the latter had been involved in... she believed it was highly unlikely the friendship would ever be rekindled.

However, she wasn't about to tell Sven that. She had told him about the death plot, and didn't divulge that the former Head Guard had been involved. Because she believed Lauren who had told her that the two were planning to run away together. Taking that information, she also didn't want to encourage Sven to make good with his former friend just to be hurt once he disappeared.

"Sorry, I just... completely forgot about all of that." She apologised, shifting in her seat as she watched her husband dig in to their food, "I would... be careful with that one, my love. You may have changed for the better and have a more forgiving nature, but not everyone is the same. He may not be as willing as you are to forgive and attempt to move on, or if he does, it may take twice as long to earn back his trust."

She did wonder if Sven's attempts to rebuild his bridges may cause Thorin to rethink his decision to run away (since she was unaware that the death plot was still going ahead). She wanted nothing more than for her husband to have his closest confidants back by his side in this new world they were building together. Carina just didn't want him to feel betrayed if the guard were to leave in the night with Lauren.

"I only mean that... he may find it as difficult to forgive you as you did with Natalia. His crime wasn't anything and you punished him harshly for it, despite him not knowing - just like no one knew at the time besides myself and... Lauren." She smiled quietly, the hand underneath Lorcan gently patting his back as she bounced him lightly, "It may just take some time..."

Not expecting a countering view to his own, the other's call for reservation so he didn't throw all his hope into something that might not go as he intended it to thereby causing Sven's smile (brought on as a result of observing his son being so alert) to dip a little. He hadn't fully considered the chance that Thorin would push back against his efforts to restore their friendship. It was a possibility, but one he had only briefly acknowledged, preferring instead to believe that over a decade of friendship would win outright in the end.

The idea that such a friendship had been irreparably wrecked was difficult to simply just... accept as a potential fact, so much so that he quietly smiled again in refusal to accept it.

"I'm aware he might decide that what I did to him was too awful for our friendship to come back from, I understand why you'd see it that way and want to prepare me for a disappointment, but I... I have an inkling that Thorin will accept my apology. I've rarely ever apologised to him so he knows that when I do, I mean it sincerely. And what we have is special, our friendship is... it's always been something I've cherished. It sounds ridiculously soppy but I'm not afraid to admit it; Thorin, Natalia and you are my dearest friends, Carina. My best friends, the people I know I can trust and depend upon. I... I'd like him back, just as I have Natalia back. Just like I know I'll always have you."

He swallowed back the lump in his throat to avoid the growing emotion building within him; he refused to feel that way when he was confident things would go the way he wanted. Besides, even if they didn't, he had a lot to be content about in his life: he wasn't solely reliant on Thorin's friendship for happiness any longer. He had a wife and a child who would always bring him happiness; who would always be there for him so fears of losing Thorin's friendship for good weren't as horrifying as they might have been if he had nobody else at his side.

"...I can take my time, I won't rush into asking for forgiveness if you think he's not ready to hear it. I don't want to put him on the spot," he eventually agreed as he collected a napkin from the side to clean the oil from the meat off his fingers, his mouth pulled slightly to the side in contemplation. "And if it all goes dreadfully, at least I have you and Lorcan, hm?"

Her lips pulled upwards into a quiet smile, listening to him continue to hope that Thorin would listen to his apologies and grant him forgiveness for his actions. She hadn't wanted to disappoint him in her response, but she felt the urge to tread carefully with his former friend, just as she always had the need to whenever he spoke positively about Lauren. The two were a touchy subject for her that she simply couldn't allow to be a touchy subject. She knew that Sven didn't suspect her in anyway of having been in cahoots with them at anyone point, but all it would take is one small slip up.

Carina still felt guilt about not telling him the entire plan regarding his plotted death, the one that involved Thorin and Lauren. Made even worse by the fact that her husband was now contemplating reaching out to the former in attempts to rebuild bridges that she had believed had been inexplicitly and unequivocally had been burned.

But she had to stay strong to what she believed - that being that Lauren and Thorin would be planning to run-away together soon.

The young woman swallowed down her guilt and reached a hand out to him, motioning for him to join her and their son on the sofa rather than remain in the armchair by himself.

"This one has no choice until he's an adolescent and starts slamming doors and sneaking off to get away from us. But you'll be pleased to know that I do have a choice, and I'm afraid to say my dear you are stuck with me." She teased, eager to move the conversation along lest her guilt came back to truly haunt her. She leaned across to press her lips gently to his once he had joined her on the sofa, careful not to jostle Lorcan too much.

She shifted slightly in her seat, turning to face him better, "Now, enough of this soppiness, as you put it. Have some time with your son while you're both awake at a decent hour. No doubt he will be falling asleep after his feed... which I could imagine to be much like you... since you'll both be warm and with full bellies. Except you'll have some boring documentation to send you off to sleep, I have no doubt." She chuckled, carefully beginning to hand their son over to his father.

"Oh god, let's not even talk about the joys of his future teenage years, I'm not sure I'm ready to think that far ahead - both because the idea of being old enough to have a teenage son terrifies me, and because... well, it'll be a nightmare, won't it? You're determined; I'm-- let's say charming rather than go over my past manipulative tendencies. If he's anything like us, we're in for a particularly rough time when he's at that age so let's make the most of him being our happy, joyful boy, hm?" The King responded as he eagerly held his arms out to retrieve his son, carefully adjusting his hold to ensure the boy was as comfortable as he could be whilst supporting his head as he had learnt how to do.

Focusing on the topic of Lorcan was something that would always guarantee him happiness, even with the talk of him being older and inevitably going through some rebellious, reckless phase. The tone was playful and the conversation itself more amused than genuinely dreading such a future because, regardless how rebellious and angsty their son could possibly become, Sven also had no doubt that he would be sweet, thoughtful and ultimately a kind, strong young man who would go on to do great things.

He was going to be raised with love and care, taught to chase his dreams and passions without feeling he ought to follow a path expected of him. His hobbies would be encouraged and his opinions listened to and respected.

There was absolutely no doubt in Sven's mind that his son would grow into someone he and Carina would be immensely proud of, so talk of difficult teenage years only made him smirk in amusement.

"I can't allow myself to sleep, I want to look presentable when I make the announcement; not dazed and bleary-eyed after just waking up from a nap. No, I'll have to force myself to stay awake and... I'll get an early night tonight, after dinner. Though don't let me sleep in when he wakes in the night, Carina. I'd like to stay up with you, keep you company and be a part of the whole experience. I don't want to miss out on a single moment if I can help it," he admitted as he raised his eyes back across to his wife, aware that she might be tempted to let him continue to sleep if he didn't make a point of commenting otherwise.

"Honestly, I'll figure out a way to catch up on my sleep during the day; I want to stay awake at night when he needs his feed. It isn't fair to let you do everything when we're a partnership, right?"

Making the most of the opportunity without the babe in her arms, Carina learned forward to make herself a small plate of the small bites that were put on for them for lunch. After doing so, she rested back against the sofa, and tucked her legs underneath herself, partially turning towards father and son to watch them. The plate balanced on her lap, and her one arm draped along the back of the furniture which allowed her hand to lightly run through Sven's auburn hair and gently massage the nape of his neck.

She allowed him a moment to his thoughts, recognising the look on his face that overcame him whenever he did become caught up in them. A gentle smile pulled at her lips as she watched him, hand delicately balanced on her plate as she withheld from eating for a moment. She considered for a moment organising for a painter to come in and get a family portrait of them all. It could be a surprise for her husband, especially if she managed to bag one of his more favoured artists. Since Sven was the painter in the family, Carina often felt a little guilty that she couldn't return the favour and paint him with his son, as she undoubtedly imagined he would offer to do for her once they had settled into a routine and he was back on top with his work.

That would mean having to work with Natalia to organise such a surprise, however, Carina was certain she would manage it since it would be for Sven.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, my love, but you are lacking in the necessary... parts that are required for a feed." Carina teased, laughing warmly before leaning forward to press a kiss against his temple. "There truly is no need for you to be waking up with me every time he wants a feed, now the nappy changes we can discuss." She grinned, finally popping a morsel of cheese into her mouth.

He was right in his assumptions that Carina would find anyway she could to allow him to sleep in the night. It wasn't a case that she wanted to deprive him of time with his son, as there would be plenty of opportunities in the day for that, but rather because she knew how important it was for him to return to his duties.

Carina smiled, hand moving sweep some of his hair from his face fondly, "We are in a partnership, of course. But you really ought to let me take care of his needs while you take care of the needs of the kingdom."

"You have as much of a role in the needs of the kingdom as I, Carina. Similarly, I want to take an active role in our son's life; I don't want him to grow up and regret not spending as much time with him as I could have. I'm aware I'll probably have to work for this kingdom more than you, and by that token, you will take care of our son more actively than I can, but I... don't necessarily want it to be like that all the time. I want to have a hand in Lorcan's life; do all the little things that have usually been deemed the 'mother's role'. It shouldn't be like that, and I don't wish to fall into an absent, detached role with my son. I'm not my father."

He eased back into the sofa as gently as he could manage to avoid any disruptive movements when Lorcan was content and quiet in his arms, his smile only widening as he glanced back down at the baby nestled in close to him. He knew Carina perfectly understood his mindset, that she appreciated his desire to be as active as possible in spite of the work he had on his plate - but there still existed a certain mindset in Ignis that he wanted to personally help demolish.

The citizens might have appreciated his and Carina's efforts to implement a new philosophy, one that would guarantee a life free of the fear of war and violence if they could help it, but there were other philosophies within ordinary homes that would be harder to distinguish. The attitude towards women wasn't the greatest, and as far as Sven was concerned, it had only been encouraged by the actions of his ancestors who the Ignisian people naturally looked to for guidance.

If the Kings that sat on the throne treated their wives as mere objects to show off, simply tools for breeding who were ultimately no use for anything else, then that mindset would only filter down and thrown the kingdom itself. The women raised their families and the men did the work - that was mostly how things had always been and it wasn't something Sven felt comfortable ever adhering to or encouraging, not when women were perfectly capable of working for their families too whilst men ought to be encouraged to take that active role in their children's lives without feeling as though it would somehow emasculate them; as though they were engaging in a traditionally female role.

If Sven could do one thing, it would be to show that such views were incredibly outdated. He had initiated that belief by bringing Carina into the picture as often as he could, having her sit with him during meetings and emphasise that she ruled the kingdom at his side; not beneath him. He wanted to dote on Lorcan because he adored the boy, but it certainly helped that he could make a change for the kingdom on a grander scale if he was seen to dote unashamedly on his son and fulfil duties for him most would expect the Queen -or even the nannies- to.

"I just-- want things to change, that's all. You wouldn't believe the abuse my father would give me if he saw me tending to Lorcan like this; my mother would be horrified too. Call me 'soft'. Say it was a woman's duty-- I don't know, something horrid like that. But it's not something I want to encourage, I want there to be a difference here. For... for those gender roles to disappear, for people to just... I don't know. Not feel restricted by old-fashioned expectations? But that's-- that's a topic we can discuss another time, we don't have to disrupt our lunch with such heavy issues-- you need to stop me drinking coffee, I'm rambling on incessantly, aren't I?"

"You're fine." The reassurance was soft, gentle, as fingers continued to massage lightly into the back of his neck, "Don't ever feel like you can't talk to me about things, you understand?" Her words were accompanied by another kiss, this time to his cheek, as if that alone would convince him to agree to her words. Carina didn't want him to ever feel like he had to hold his tongue in front of her, she wanted him to feel comfortable discussing new ideas or changes with her. It interested her, as well as excited her about how much of a turn Ignis was taking because of him.

She used her other hand to dunk some bread into the slice of butter she had put on her plate, a bite being had soon after. Once she had swallowed the mouthful, she sought to address his words.

"I am not saying I don't want to be involved in the kingdom's needs now, but we must face the facts Sven. The people are still not overly eager to see my face or remember my presence. I can imagine I am still a... murderess in their eyes, and even then I am still not one of of them. One of you. I have your name but not your appearance or your powers. If I were to go to the village with some decree or to meet them, I would need a lot more security than you and the ideas would not be so well received."

Her words didn't sadden Carina, not in the slightest. They were facts and they were the truth, to her that was nothing to whine or get upset about.

"Our partnership relies, at the moment, on you using your supposed charm," she grinned, teasing, "To get them to believe in what we are doing. I can sit in on meetings with you, but not for you, not just yet. And so my duties, right now, are taking care of Lorcan unless I am desperately needed in a meeting in which we will need to find a nanny."

She reached down to pick an olive from one of the bowls, easing back afterwards to offer it to him by holding it near his mouth. "You will still be able to be involved in Lorcan's life, I won't allow you to go without lending a hand, don't you worry. I will bring him to lunches, he will sleep with us in our room for the first few months, you can read him to sleep and change nappies... But until the people trust me in equal measure, this is just how it may need to be."

Her words might not have saddened her, but they had the opposite effect on Sven who immediately frowned at the unfairness of it all. Granted, he also knew that he had played a huge role in the way Carina had been perceived in her early months in the kingdom, where opinions of her had been formed that were proving difficult to correct. Ultimately, she wasn't Ignisian and would always have to work at earning the kingdom's respect but her being an Eirian had the additional effect of meaning she wasn't jsut disregarded but vehemently hated, at least at the initial time of her arrival.

And with Sven having been so vociferous in his disgust of her, it was only to be expected that views of his wife remained negative, even if his own had changed massively.

Add into the mix she had to fight against the stereotypical gender roles that had ruled Ignis for far too long in order to be taken seriously as someone who was Sven's equal and had a right to tend to the kingdom's politics... it was an uphill battle, and one he knew couldn't be resolved as easily as he wanted it too. Particularly now her duties seemed to be towards Lorcan above anything else; rightfully, he was her priority first and foremost, with everything else regarding the kingdom being left to Sven.

"...I'm aware that's just how things have to be for now but I still find it unfair, Carina. I admit I haven't been... entirely innocent in helping them form such opinions of you but that just means I'll work extra hard in helping them realise what a star you are, hm? I'm sure they'll acknowledge your marvelousness in time; it's not hard to spot," he smoothly drawled, opting to use some of the charm he proudly boasted of to good use.

He might not take part in manipulative tactics anymore (not just because it morally made him uneasy but also because he feared he'd start down a path he had left in his past) but he still had his charm which he hoped people would be more responsive to when it came from a place of sincerity, rather than deception.

"You're really hinting at me to get involved with changing his nappies, aren't you? Not that I blame you, it's hardly the nicest of parental duties but-- you know I'd do anything for you - and him. Just say the word and I'll be there to give it a go," he eventually laughed before gratefully accepting the offering of the olive and biting down into it with an appreciative nod. He had got in the habit of skipping his lunch in recent days so to have the time to go back to some normalcy and enjoy a nice spread was more enjoyable to him than it ought to be.

At his compliments, Carina couldn't help the colour that stained her cheeks which caused her to quickly look back to the food. An amused scoff sounded in response, and she gently slapped his thigh, but was careful not to disturb Lorcan. "You talk such rubbish sometimes, honestly." She shook her head, putting some more food on her place before easing back again. "And you can't blame yourself for their opinions of me. I mean... I did organise the death of your parents... and I am from Eira. There's no lie in there."

It was black and white to her. Whether or not he exasperated the situation and helped fuel the flames (no pun intended) of discontent with their new queen, the people still did not, and would not, like her. Carina wasn't sure if she would ever be able to see a day where she could comfortably walk among the people by herself with minimal guards like Sven did.

For now she was happy to simply battle the opinions that people, servant and noble, had of her within the castle. They had been doing just that during their meetings together during her pregnancy, and things had seemed to be going well. However, they would now need to be put on hold with Lorcan's arrival, with his life being her new priority.

"I've had to change him five times since he has been born already. And you don't want to know what happened this morning during the third." She shuddered dramatically, keeping a straight face until she couldn't hold in her chuckles, "You should get more involved in the dirty work. The behind the scenes stuff instead of just enjoying this perfect little angelic face he puts on." Carina smirked, taking a bite of an olive herself as she looked down at Lorcan.

Their son's eyes had finally closed, his little lips parted in his sleep. Carina's smirk melted into a fond smile and she wiped her fingers on her napkin before reaching across to brush her fingertips over the smattering of hair he had.

"I think you were right, about having that fiery hair of yours. No one is going to doubt who his father is, that is for sure."

The jovial atmosphere wasn't a new experience with Carina, having enjoyed such playfulness countless times since they connected and fell in love, but he couldn't recall a time where it had felt this... perfect. He had no doubt that Lorcan resting peacefully in his arms and serving as a reminder of the family they now were was probably the reason for that, his presence alone making Sven feel the happiest he had felt.

That, combined with the playful remarks shared with his wife, made the relatively normal lunch on an otherwise ordinary day a moment that Sven knew he would look back on fondly throughout his years. It was the first lunch he had with his family, a moment where he fully absorbed the fact that he and Carina were parents with a child entirely dependent on them - though it didn't scare him; he was looking forward to taking on each and every responsibility that came his way.

He had wanted this moment to arrive for years, after all. He wasn't about to moan about duties to Lorcan when, in actuality, he desired nothing more than being with his son and dutifully tending to him as he thought every loving father ought to have a hand in doing. He wanted his son to grow up knowing how loved he was; knowing that Sven would do anything he could to ensure his son's happiness.

Just having a hands-on role and being present during all aspects of his life was a start and put him firmly on what he deemed to be the right track.

"Mm, not that there was any doubt in the first place but this all but settles any arguments - lucky thing, isn't he? Having my hair colour. Though I'm sure you'll excuse it when he inevitably starts displaying the powers you hold. I'm all but certain of it, in fact. So I'll boast about our son having fiery locks because-- well, I'm sure you'll enjoy boasting about the ice he possesses in his veins when the time comes. I'm just getting a nice, justifiable headstart in it," he smirked as he gently ran a thumb through the newborn's few locks, the pride only growing in realisation that his son had inherited something from him.

Frankly, he didn't remotely care if Lorcan looked like Carina's twin and inherited everything from her, it wouldn't make him love him any less, but he couldn't deny how adorable he found the possibility of his son having the same fiery red locks that Sven himself possessed.

"Besides, he has your eyes, Carina. He's a perfect mix of us both, I think."

Soft laughter escaped her at his comment about Lorcan's eyes, an eyebrow raising in amusement, "My darling, don't you realise he'll have both our eyes? We both have blue, I doubt we'll ever be able to tell whose eyes he has." She teased fondly, finishing what she wanted of food before sliding closer to Sven's side.

Carina tucked her legs underneath herself and rested herself against her husband's side, a hand coming up to hold onto his upper arm as he cradled their son. It was as close as she could get to the both of them without being in Sven's lap herself, and she relished it.

Her head tilted to lay partially on the end of his shoulder, her eyes lingering on the baby as they had a moment of silence and peace. "Sometimes I wonder if I need to be pinched," she told him, disturbing the quiet with her hushed words, "like I'm sleeping and someone needs to wake me up from this dream. I'd never have thought..." She trailed off into a quiet him of thought, thumb stroking against Sven's upper arm.

There were a few things she would have never have imagined. One, that she and Sven would actually ever be able to be as they were. Close and contented and warm with each other. She'd never have believed it if she was told they would one day love each other and willingly sleep in the same bed or spend time together. And two, she didn't think she'd ever feel as much love to another human being as she did with Lorcan. Of course there was Sven, and the memory of Emmett and her mother. But the love she felt for her son was on another level.

"Life is funny, isn't it?" Carina finally added, a small smile of amusement on her lips, "Like I wonder if this was always how it was supposed to be. I wonder if we would be as we are now if it weren't for Lorcan."

The contemplative thought wasn't one Sven could honestly say he had debated to himself before. The love he had developed for Carina was one he had inevitably spent some time introspectively analysing, particularly at the initial emergence of those feelings and how alien they felt to him (especially when they were towards someone he had spent much of his time tormenting and hating in equal measure). Yet, when that love first arrived and began to bloom, he had inwardly analysed what he was feeling and whether it was as genuine as it felt, or if he was simply confused and desperate for a comfort he didn't realise he even wanted.

He had eventually realised that the love for her was genuine and so had spent all the time since that discovery simply enjoying the experience of being in a loving, supportive relationship - he didn't have any need to disrupt that marital bliss by analysing how strong that love was; whether it would be as intact as it was if Lorcan had never come into the picture.

"...I'd like to think that I'd be as in love with you as I am even without him, Carina. As far as I'm concerned, I love you; not because you happen to be the mother of my child, but because... I love you. I can't really... explain how much you mean to me without sounding soppy, but just now that I have every confidence that we would be content and in love if things had gone in a different direction," he confidently nodded as he adjusted his position a little to allow her to ease into his side and give her a better vantage point to their son.

"Though I think the way things have worked out is the best possible scenario to be in. I can't imagine my life without Lorcan. I'm sure we'd be happy but... you know as well as I do that having him completes us, doesn't it? Makes us a family. I-- really can't stand growing so darn emotional; you need to steer me off these sorts of topics, Carina," he playfully chastised as a spare hand move to his face in the act of moving aside a few strands of hair... though it was mostly a front for wiping his eye before a tear could fall.

"Ah, anyway. I never expected to feel this happy and a part of me is wary that something might go wrong because I've never been allowed to feel this content before but that's just unnecessary paranoia, isn't it? Nothing's going to happen to disturb what we have, I promise you."

While the two royals were enjoying a moment together with their son for lunch, that 'nothing' that Sven had believed would happen, had managed to pull their accomplice down the set of stairs that led to the dungeons.

Thorin, unawares to the conversation that was happening a few floors above regarding seeking his forgiveness, had felt adrenaline build in momentum and buzz in his veins the moment he had heard that the Queen had gone into labour. It continued to sicken him, just how happy and loving the two had become, and matters had been made worse by the fact that Natalia had gotten a second chance, while it felt like he was left to continue rotting, forgotten. Even the support he had gathered during Sven's more tyrannical period had wavered as his behaviour changed and seemed to be set in stone.

Guards that he had spoken to and heard about their discontent retracted their words. The women who Sven had slept with, of course some were frustrated to have lost that position, but some now felt capable of moving on and finding actual love elsewhere. The maids weren't as afraid to collect things from his office or room or whatever location he was in.

And he was painting. Thorin knew his former friend had a secret passion for art, but it angered him further that Sven's life seemed so perfect that he was able to do everything he wanted now.

He had a wife who loved him. A healthy, strong son. An heir. He had Natalia back, and that clearly spoke to Thorin just how well Sven had Carina wrapped around his finger. Trade deals were a success, from what Thorin heard, and the people were beginning to love the King for different reasons to the late ruler.

"Tonight." He told Lauren firmly, eyes darting up the stairs before returning to her, "We do it tonight. They've had their one night of bliss, like you wanted. It happens tonight. I can't fucking deal with watching them make heart eyes at each other anymore, Lauren. It's pathetic." He grit his teeth, merely thinking about it.

"They let Natalia back into their lives - who lied and manipulated Sven like the puppet he really is. But we don't even get a look-in, and we've been the most loyal. We did nothing wrong, yet she's the one that gets the second chance." He continued to seethe, "We'll get them tonight, once they've gone to bed."

The last few days hadn't been particularly easy for Lauren - but she knew she ought to be used to it considering much of the last few months had been difficult too. She had had to watch her former best friend get everything she wanted from life while continuing to ease Lauren out of the picture until she wasn't even in the frame anymore; simply just another maid in the castle who faded into the background. At least, that was how it felt - she had once had a friendship she cherished and now she was overlooked in favour of handmaids who had no personal connection to the Queen whatsoever.

Seeing her former friend build a life together with the man that had committed so many horrid atrocities and manipulated her with such callous ease was as terrifying as it was aggravating, but the pain lingered more than any other emotion. They didn't deserve to just happily move on with their lives after hurting those that had been the most loyal to them; the people that had been at their side when they had nobody else. Thorin had always been there for Sven and, similarly, Lauren had been there for Carina when she literally had nobody else. She was an Eirian in a kingdom that despised her people, an ice-wielder in a land of fire. She was disrespected, hated, ridiculed... and yet Lauren risked her own position, her own life, in order to extend a hand to her, offer her friendship and a hope for a brighter future for the both of them.

And her reward? Pushed aside when things became difficult without even being granted the opportunity for a second chance. Natalia being given that when her faults were far greater than Lauren's was the final straw. The former advisor had had a huge role in embarrassing Carina, hurting her to her core through the advisor's cruel manipulation and deceit - yet she was welcomed back into the fold, allowed to see the newborn that Lauren had always hoped she would have a role in tending to herself.

It wasn't at all fair so any doubts the maid might have had, any reservations that persisted in her... they had all disappeared, her only desire being to bring an end to the happy ending that neither Sven nor Carina remotely deserved.

"Tonight?" She repeated once breaking herself out of her own thoughts, her eyes returning to Thorin in surprise. It shouldn't have been surprising given their plans hinged on the baby being born before setting them into action, but it still caught her off guard. Nerves inevitably set in at the prospect of putting forth all the plans she had held for years now, ever since her island home had been stormed and her people massacred. To know all those hopes were so close to being achieved was a huge moment for her, but she couldn't allow nerves to get in the way of that.

She had waited far too long to allow nerves to mess everything up at the final stage, after all.

"I know, I agree; tonight it is. I'm not backing down, you don't need to convince me, Thorin: I want them gone as much as you," she promised under her breath with a firm nod for emphasis, her own eyes trailing to the stairs with a slow breath released in anticipation. "I... I know the plan, I've thought of nothing else the last few days. We'll have to strike in the time between them dropping to sleep and the baby stirring for a feed, so we can catch them off guard. I... I'm sure we'll succeed, Thorin; we can't afford not to."

"Tonight." Thorin repeated with a strong nod, cementing the decision into place. He didn't want to linger any longer on it. The later they left it, the more support Sven grew for his new campaign, for this new world he and Carina were building. Thorin could see the opportunity slipping away from them, to stage the coup and take control for themselves, to raise the heir as their own.

He stepped closer, a hand reaching out to cup her cheek. The touch was tender, but his eyes were stormy, a promise of revenge and rage within them. "Good," he murmured, eyes running over her features for a moment before he pulled his hand away again, "I'll get the daggers from the weaponry before bed tonight. The guard who shares my room has duty at the gates this evening, so that's one less hurdle to deal with." He explained, another reason tonight was as best as any. He wouldn't need to sneak out in case he woke anyone and he wouldn't need to hide the weapons.

"We will succeed, Lauren. We have worked too long and too hard for this to not work. Every wrinkle, every possibility... it's all been thought out." Both hands reached up to hold her face, "After tonight, we'll be the ones in charge. We will have their precious heir in our hands and we can make all the decisions. After tonight, we will be rid of the both of them and we can be together too. A new era."

It excited Thorin, who had always been relatively ambitious. Having Sven as his friend for all those years had definitely helped, since he was always in touch with the royal line and then as soon as his former friend got what he wanted, so did Thorin. But now... now there was a chance to usurp his traitorous former companion and get more power than he even knew what to do with. It made his head dizzy with the prospect.

"I'll come for you at one in the morning, that should give them plenty of time to be asleep, especially now Sven is back working. He may work late, but not that late. We'll get them then. Together."

As much as she cared for Thorin and had come to see him as an ally, someone she trusted completely... it was hard to deny how unnerved she was by the prospect of harbouring so much power and possibility once the ruling couple were taking care of. Whilst most that plotted the demise of the royals were inevitably politically motivated, desiring such power for themselves to do with as they wished, that had never been Lauren's intention, and nor did she really have the mindset for it.

All that motivated her had been the aim of receiving justice for her people; to ensure that their deaths (or more accurately, their murders) weren't just forgotten about, with one of the minds behind the attack on her land being able to live out a content life as King after a few measly pathetic apologies won him the support of a kingdom, and a wife who ought to know better.

Because the apologies weren't at all sufficient in Lauren's eyes. It wasn't fair that he got to mastermind a plot to torture her people and actively take part in the destruction of Eira without receiving consequences for his actions. He had taken countless innocent lives so he had to pay for that with his own.

She didn't desire his throne nor his power; she just wanted him to pay. She had always planned to leave the kingdom once his death arrived, find refuge in a quiet village far from Ignis and try to live out the rest of her days in a peaceful environment that she could call home. Yet, Thorin evidently had other ideas, his emphasis apparently placed on taking the reins of power once his former friend and Carina had been removed from them. Such ideas didn't suit Lauren necessarily - she didn't want to be put in the spotlight after committing murder, she wanted to retreat and give herself the best chance of a long, happy life.

But she couldn't -and wouldn't- go against what Thorin wanted. He was the only person she trusted and the only one who had proven to care about her. She may have doubts whether he actually did outside of their plan, but that was irrelevant at the moment - he was at least willing to put everything on the line to help see their plans succeed, so Lauren would return that loyalty by aiding him in the next steps that followed the (hopeful) success of their plan.

"I'll wait just outside of the servants' quarters; it'll be safer that way. Don't be late; we need this to go as smoothly as possible," she reminded, aware that it didn't need saying but, to reassure herself and ease whatever inevitable nerves that might rear their head, it was necessary to emphasise it.

She smiled quietly to herself at the gentle hand resting on her cheek, that contact providing her with the confidence boost she didn't necessarily need when she was certain off success, but one she appreciated regardless.

"...Keep your head low today - it's best to go unnoticed. Do that and... and I'll see you later on. We've-- We've got this, you know; we're going to succeed, Thorin. I won't allow us to fail."

Nodding, Thorin finally retracted his hands, another weary glance being sent up the stairs to ensure they remained alone. He hadn't heard any footsteps, but he was all too aware of how silent some members of the castle could be when they so chose to. After a moment of surveying the area at the top of the steps, he provided Lauren with his full attention once more, hands sinking into his pockets, "I won't be late, you can be sure of that. The sooner it happens, the sooner our new life can start."

The guard had enjoyed his time with Lauren, having found her to be an attractive girl from the moment Sven had plucked her from the depths of the kitchen. But of course back then, she was off limits. It had surprised him when she began showing him attention not long after he fell out of favour with Sven, and in reality he had always had a sneaking suspicion that she was using her. However, as things progressed and moved along and he learned of the plan and Carina's involvement... he stopped seeing it as them using him, but rather an opportunity to climb the ranks once more.

Of course at one point it was the desire to be on Carina's good side, something he had been certain he would manage with Lauren's good reference and his own involvement in Sven's downfall. However now it merely involved him having to take the opportunity into his own hands. Even that Eirian bitch betraying him.

Now he had cared for Lauren, that much was certain. Whether he would continue to care for her in a romantic nature once the job was seen to was another matter, as he wasn't sure if it was the close quarters and the adrenaline and the doubt of not making it out the other side that pushed him in that way. However, for what it was worth, he did love Lauren in a way that meant he would never see any harm come to her.

"I like it when you show your fight," he then smirked, pushing aside the nerves that were bubbling in his stomach, "Now, you better get on - before they notice you're missing and start to wonder where you are. Like you said, best if we keep our heads down now until tonight. Just stay safe till then, yeah? I know you will but-- I just had to say it."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"I know - and I will. We both will, Thorin. I'll see you later on," she emphasised with another tone of encouragement, finding that the more she vocalised that certainty (even if it felt contradicted by her nervousness inside), the more confident she felt. There would inevitably be doubts and nerves at play for the both of them, but more so for Lauren because if things went badly, she wouldn't have years upon years of friendship to call upon for sympathy.

Thorin, meanwhile, did. If things went south and their plans discovered before they could properly be put into action then he could backstab her, pin the blame on her shoulders and appeal for sympathy; emphasise the long standing friendship he had shared with Sven and tap into the lingering bond that possibly remained between the two. Even if Thorin bravely decided to share the blame, there was still every chance he wouldn't be sent to the gallows for his crime when he always had the sympathy card to play in front of Sven, calling upon the friendship that had once been all the King had had to get him through the day.

Lauren didn't have that and thus couldn't pull such a stunt as affectively. Her friendship with Carina had only been a few months old when it burned to brutally into ash, and Sven wasn't so naive to believe that what he had shared with Lauren was genuine. If he discovered the plot or overpowered them when they put it into practise, he would know that every warm word she had purred to him, every one of her doting actions, had been duplicitous in nature and so the gallows would only be inevitable despite her desperate outcries.

She didn't have an option; she had to succeed or she would die because she highly doubted Carina would ever come to her aid. Why would she when she was attempting to kill her and her husband? Success was the only option so of course the maid's nerves were high.

But the adrenaline she was riding on, the thought of butchering the royal couple and finally avenging her island, her people, was far too good to allow nerves to come into the equation and ruin everything.

With a firm nod up to the soldier for further encouragement, she smoothed down the creases in her dress and swiftly started up the stairs to calmly resume her maidenly duties, fully aware that this would be the last time she would have to face the disgust of serving an Ignisian ever again.