Playing with Fire

Carina couldn't help but bristle at the other's comments about her being in a 'sensitive state'. Of course it was undeniable that she was more emotionally vulnerable with the changing hormones of the pregnancy, but that didn't mean that Carina saw herself as being in a sensitive state. She thought she had coped quite well considering the spike in her emotional state and had even believed she had done well to keep a tight rein on any emotions that threatened to show. She hadn't cried in front of Sven that evening, and that was a win to Carina.

However she forced herself to relax, knowing that her friend meant well and this her just overreacting.

Smothering a yawn, she smiled quietly and nodded, "I can't avoid him forever though, he will want to keep checking up on me. But if doing the simple things like bringing tea to me will help you feel better about it too... I'm not going to argue with you."

With a final murmured goodnight, Carina fell silent and allowed her mind to wander, desperate for a decent night's sleep after the events of the day. When she finally did drift off, however, another nightmare was there to great her. It wasn't the usual type where it was Sven or an older version of her child preparing to kill her, but instead involved the palace doctor.

She had been strapped down to a hospital bed of some kind, incapable of moving. She couldn't see her toes anymore, with a nine-month large bump in the way. Pains constricted her abdomen and lower back, leaving her to throw her head back against the bed with a soft moan of discomfort. However in doing so, she came face to face with Sven who smirked and gripped her chin. Roughly, the dream version of her husband turned her head and Carina yelled out at the sight of Lauren's body, blackened and burned on the white dream floor meters away from her, her face the only thing untouched by the flames, just so she could identify her friend.

"Did you really not think I'd find out about what you were planning?" Sven's voice sneered in her ear, "You couldn't fool me the first time, Carina. Did you really think you had a better chance the second time?"

Carina couldn't answer, another pained shout racking her body as something sliced along her stomach. She lifted her head to see the doctor by her stomach and she began to fight uselessly against the binds. "No-- no! Not my baby-- please! Please not-- no!"

However the pain only grew as the doctor continued making incisions in order to get the baby out, leaving Carina shouting and crying out in horrendous pain as she felt everything. The doctor didn't say a word, focusing only on getting out the heir to the Ignis reign. She could feel the warmth of her own blood staining her skin, seeping into the hospital bed mattress and coating her in the same scarlet that matched the Ignis royal colours.

Finally, it felt like the doctor had finally managed to rip something out from her, and Carina screamed.

It was then that she woke, legs having kicked out violently throughout the dream and the blankets now all tangled between them, bunching up around her hips. The scream still echoed on her lips, but she couldn't stop it, too fearful of what images her mind had just forced upon her. She gasped and choked for breath, sitting upright immediately and hands protectively going to her stomach just to reassure herself that her baby was okay, that it was still with her.

In direct contrast to her close friend, Lauren had been having the best sleep, better than she could have thought was possible. She had almost grown accustomed to the flat mattress and uncomfortable, rash-inducing blanket on the bed she was given; a bed that she had to curl up awkwardly to fit on even though she was already shorter than average. She had a job, a roof over her head and provided with food and water so she couldn't complain when, after Harenae's destruction, she had genuinely feared she would end up starving to death.

It was only when she was invited to share the bed with Carina that she realised just how appalling her own sleeping conditions were. Compared to previously having nothing to sleep on but the ground during her brief homelessness, the maid's bed had been of great comfort to her - but now she had a taste of what luxury was like, it was hard to see her actual bed as providing her with anything but a sore back and rashes along her legs and arms. Of course Carina would have the best of the best and finding that for herself in ordinary life would have been impossible, but she wasn't going to let the chance slip her by while she had it - for as long as she was invited beside Carina, she was going to take the opportunity with both hands and give herself the night's sleep she deserved.

Her main reason for being with the other was to be some support to her, emotionally and physically, but having a chance to experience the comfort fit for a Queen was a bonus she was unashamed to admit to.

Her slumber was interrupted rather brutally as she stirred quickly at the feeling of being kicked out at - she realised that it was unintentional the moment she acknowledged the terrified screams from the woman beside her, but it didn't make the pain at the foot of her spine any easier to deal with. That said, the pain was easy to ignore, her priority shifting immediately from acknowledging the root of the aching to checking on her friend. Her immediate fear was that something was wrong with the baby, a fear she grew pale in thinking was confirmed when she carefully lit a candle beside the bed and took in the sight of the young Queen sat bolt upright in bed, holding her stomach

It was only when she acknowledged a lack of pain on her friend's expression that she relaxed - if only a little. Just because it was a nightmare didn't make Carina any less deserving of her attention, the maid leaving the bed to the bathroom and returning with a glass of water, setting it down beside the bedside table with a faint smile, one she was desperate to offer to comfort her friend.

"Here, drink this - did you have a nightmare? Oh god, I-- I thought-- it doesn't even bear saying, but I'm glad you're okay, just-- just drink this, take a deep breath and relax; it's all okay, you're okay," she shushed as she took a seat carefully at the edge of the bed, trying to calm her own fast heartbeat with her own advice, breathing in and out slowly to relieve herself of the anxiety that had spiked.

It was an anxiety that immediately shot right back up again at the abrupt entrance of Sven, the young King bleary-eyed and pale with exhaustion, his hair messy as a result of having flung himself from bed the moment he heard Carina's scream. His immediate fear was that something had happened with the baby and so only stopped from his frantic rush to Carina's room to call upon the royal physician. Even if Carina and the baby were okay, it was worth bringing the doctor along nonetheless - she had screamed at the top of her lungs so it was natural that Sven would assume she was in pain or in some peril.

"...Are you hurt? Is it the baby? Fucking help her, would you?" He barked at the doctor as he nervously hesitated at the foot of the bed. The sight of Lauren in the room only confirmed his fear that something was wrong, or why else would the maid have arrived to comfort the Queen? He was under the impression the two disliked one another, and the only reason Lauren would show her comfort was some harm had come to the baby. "...If you're hurt, let the doctor help you, Carina; I-I want to make sure the baby's alright."

"Stay-- stay the fuck away from me."

Carina's words were spat in the direction of the royal physician, teeth chattering due to her high level of anxiety and fear. The young queen pushed herself up the side of the bed, reluctantly leaving Lauren's comforting presence until the one side of her back pressed against the headboard of the bed. Her one hand shielded the bump of her stomach protectively while the other held the glass of water that Lauren had provided her, the water jumping in the glass due to her trembling hand.

"I don't want him here. Get him out-- get out! Get out of my room!" Carina ordered, her quiet voice raising until she was yelling. The fear from her nightmare driving her on in this wildcat fashion; the instinct to protect her unborn child too strong to resist.

Even though it had been a nightmare, it had frightened her, and quite possibly been the worst she had experienced yet. The mere thought of the men placing a hand on her had Carina on the defensive; possessive of her bump and protective of the life inside of her which she wasn't about to give up without a fight. The sight of Sven at the foot of the bed didn't help matters either, not after their evening together.

She placed the water down on the bedside table and pushed herself to sit in the centre of the bed, and when that didn't feel far enough, the far side to keep away from the physician. All the while a hand remained on her bump. "Are you deaf? Your Queen said to get out, so leave! I don't need-- I'm fine!"

The doctor took a step toward the bed, "Your Majest-"

"Get out!"

If she had had her powers, by this point ice would have been forming on the four posts of the bed, crackling and gleaming weakly in the candle light. However that display of power would never be, but the strength of it was in her voice.

The royal physician took a glance to Sven, hesitating, before realising his presence would only be a further distress. "I'll wait outside the door, my King." He murmured as he paused at Sven's back before continuing on, closing the door shut quietly behind him.

Carina couldn't bring herself to look at Sven, not even Lauren whom she desperately wanted to reach for. She knew she couldn't, however, lest Sven finally catch on and given her nightmare... Carina held the deepest fear that he would. She fought hard to control and slow her breathing, once more reaching for her glass of water to bring it up to her lips with a shaking hand. At least the fear had pushed back the nausea for a moment. Reluctantly, she climbed back into her side of the bed and drew the blanket up and over her bump, as if hiding it from view.

"I'm sorry to have woken you... over nothing. Everything's fine, with the baby, since that's what you truly care about, isn't it?" She cleared her throat, still avoiding eye contact as she straightened out the blanket, "Go back to bed, Sven. If there's anything wrong with the child then I'd let you know. Lauren can remain the rest of the night with me, should that make you feel better."

Sven knew that unceremoniously bursting into Carina's bedroom might not have gone down brilliantly but he had ever reason to do so when she was screaming at the top her lungs at the dead of night. He could easily justify his actions in running into the room with the doctor at his side, so he was prepared for whatever stubborn resistance she decided to embark on.

What he hadn't been prepared for was the vehemence; the vitriol spewed out at the doctor with a glare so intense that Sven failed to care about the confusion now flooding across his expression. He often worked hard to maintain a certain impression of himself, as though he was far too smart to get confused by anything, but now was an instance where he couldn't prioritise how he appeared to otherwise; not when Carina's behaviour was fundamentally bewildering.

Despite her reassurances (however cold they were) that the baby was fine and not to worry about it, the King remained where he was stood. He had considered the fact that she might have had a nightmare, but why react with such outrage to the doctor when this wasn't the nightmare, and nothing that had taken place it in could affect her in real life. Why shield her bump from view? Why refuse to let the doctor even quickly examine her when doing so would reassure them of the baby's health, just to be on the safe side?

He didn't want to believe that something had happened; something unthinkable. He had tried his best not to even consider losing his baby before it was born as a possibility, but just because he didn't think about it didn't mean it wasn't possible - and while he wanted to believe Carina would do him the service of telling him if the baby was gone, he couldn't. She could keep that news from him in an attempt to preserve her life, or to emotionally break him later on down the line. Whatever her reasoning, it was entirely plausible that she would keep the news from him, and while he knew he was getting ahead of himself, silently accusing her of something he had no real evidence for, his suspicions were pricked and wouldn't go away easily.

"...Lauren can remain with you for the night if that'll reassure you, yes," he confirmed as he briefly glanced at Lauren, the paleness of her complexion causing his eyes to narrow. He normally wouldn't have thought too much of Lauren's paleness, but he couldn't help but cast suspicion over it now - was she pale because of the knowledge she held regarding a possible miscarriage? He didn't want to believe that Lauren would hold anything from him, but who was to say she couldn't be possible of that duplicity?

"Try and get some rest, Carina - and should you have another nightmare, do try not to scream the castle down again. It isn't helpful for any of us, hm?"

"It would, yes." It probably shouldn't have been the answer she gave, however it was safe to say that Carina wasn't exactly thinking about what she needed to do, only caring about what she wanted. However with that in mind, she nodded her head to the wardrobe, "I'm sure there are spare blankets inside which she can use to create a makeshift bed."

A muscle in her jaw jumped at his last, biting comment and she glanced up at him from where she was attempting to get comfortable once more. "It would be helpful if you didn't give me reasons to have the nightmares, but I suppose nothing is ever your fault, is it?" With that, she jerked her head to the door, "You may leave, your Queen bids you goodnight. And please don't bother with the tea in the morning, Lauren can fetch it in the morning."

Without waiting to see what he may do next, or even bother to listen to what he had to say, Carina shifted until she was laid out in the bed again. The blanket had been brought up to her shoulders and she laid on her right side so her back was to the door, so she would not see him leave. Under the blanket, her hand gently rubbed at her bump. She thanked whatever gods there were for keeping the baby with her despite the stress she had experienced with the nightmare, although she was terrified that she would wake up later on to find blood staining her sheets.

However she couldn't voice those concerns, nor would she dare consult the royal physician, not after the dream she had just had. It would be useless to see him again, as Carina wasn't sure just how she would react again. She couldn't bare the thought of the man examining her, let alone being there for the birth now. Each time he would lay a finger on her, all she would be able to hear and feel would be those incisions being made to cut her baby from her.

Once Sven had left, and only then, did she prop herself up on her elbow and look to Lauren. She remained silent for a moment, and then her mouth opened to say something but no words came out. Carina floundered for a moment before dropping her gaze, "I'm sorry. I-- I endangered you, I could have ruined everything - if he suspects anything between us now other than hatred then... then I'll take full responsibility." She swallowed thickly.

"He'll undoubtedly be slightly suspicious of you now. Either because he'll want to know why you were with me, or that you could be hiding something from him for me. Now that could... that could bring you some respite from having to visit him in the nights but I... I'm sorry, Lauren. Just know, either way, I'll try to protect you from whatever might come over the next few months."

The suspicion of her had already been set in place even before Carina's remark. Granted, her vocal desire to keep her handmaid present and near her didn't help matters but it wasn't the cause of Sven's growing suspicion, and thus, Lauren wasn't prepared to leave her friend harbouring such guilt when she truly wasn't to blame for it.

"Listen, even if he is slightly suspicious and thus keeping a close eye on us, I'm sure our plans won't come crashing down, Carina. We've worked too hard to allow that to happen - you may continue your dismissive attitude towards me in public and I'll talk negatively of you when I'm alone with Sven. We can't overdo it in case that works against us, but as long as we keep up this negative, bitter attitude towards one another, then all will be fine - you can justify wanting me to stay with you without it meaning you like me; you're smart, you'll figure out what to say when you get the chance."

With that, and a firm squeeze of her friend's hand for emphasis, the maid made her way across to the wardrobe for the extra blankets and a spare pillow. The idea of leaving the bed and sleeping on the floor made her inwardly groan, both because it was such a downgrade and because it wouldn't do her aching back any good, but she didn't want to risk slipping back into bed when Sven made it clear he could burst into the room at any moment.

Just because he had been told not to bring his wife tea in the morning didn't mean he would listen - and so Lauren settled onto the floor to sleep to avoid the possibility of the King walking into the room in the morning and seeing the two friends sleeping besides one another. That would be an incident impossible to justify so avoiding it at all costs was just the smart thing to do.

"...What was your nightmare about? I can hazard a guess that the physician played a role in it?" She murmured from her space on the floor, forcing back a slight groan as she turned onto her side in an effort to grow comfortable - though the ache in her back seemed to want to persist with her no matter what position she got herself into. "You don't have to discuss it, we can go back to sleep - you can tell me in the morning or not at all if you don't wish to relive it, it... must have been terrifying, no matter what it was. Nightmares do tend to be that way, obviously."

With a heavy sigh, Carina fell back against the bed and simply stared up at the ceiling. She listened to Lauren's movements, hand rubbing absently over her bump as if that would soothe the little being inside after all that had just happened. She was more aware of what suspicions Sven would now have, and concerned that he may act upon them in terms of investigating a few things. However, that was in the case of her and Lauren's friendship rather than anything else. She would never suspect him of suspecting her to be hiding a miscarriage. He may have a certain opinion of her, and Carina could be as cruel and cold to him as he was to her... but never would she lie about such a thing. How could she, when the devastation she would experience would be too monumentus to hide?

It pained her even to think about losing the small life growing inside her, so if it actually ever occurred, Carina knew she wouldn't be able to hide the emotions that would overwhelm her. Not to mention, she wouldn't be so cruel as to hide it and then lord it over Sven. She was many things, but a monster she was not.

Bringing herself out of her worries about Sven finding out about her friendship with Lauren, she turned her head to watch the maid settle on the floor. Guilt immediately bloomed in her chest and she sat up again, eyebrows knitting together in concern. "Why don't you take the love seat? It'll at least be softer than the floor and if Sven comes in, it won't look half as suspicious as if you were in the bed. Besides, you can always say you moved onto it once I went to sleep."

She had come to hate the differences between them in terms of their standing, and did long to provide Lauren with little comforts that couldn't be afforded on a maid's salary. However again, that would only lead to suspicion and they couldn't afford that, especially not now.

Carina hesitated at the next question, once more lowering head to pillow and turning eyes onto ceiling as she reluctantly thought over the memories of the nightmare. Her mouth went dry and she quickly shook off the shivers that they provided, reaching once more for the water at her bedside table to drink.

"It's... it was the worst one I've had. I don't even know why it... physically what happened is impossible, especially if Sven expects two more after this child but it... it was terrifying and when you're scared... you don't care about what is possible or impossible. I was... strapped... to a bed, in labour, ready to give birth. And... and you were dead a few meters away from me, killed by Sven and-- and his flames. Then the... the physician was there and he was... he started cutting and-- and slicing... at my... at my bump, at my baby... I didn't even see him pull the baby out but-- he just kept slicing and cutting and ripped-- he ripped my baby-- out--"

Squeezing her eyes shut, she pressed the heels of her palms against her eyes, exhaling heavily, "That's it. I-- I don't want to discuss it any further, I'm sorry." She murmured, rolling onto her left side (since that was good for the baby) and buried her head into the pillow, "Hopefully it won't continue when I fall asleep this time."

Of course the love-seat was an option and, though not ideal and still an obvious downgrade from the luxury the bed had provided her with, would be a considerably comfier place to sleep than on the floor. Yet, Lauren resisted the urge to get up and settle there when that in itself would fuel Sven's suspicions more - anything the Queen did to make her maid's life that little bit easier might not have even registered on Sven's radar before, but now those suspicions had stirred, her asleep on a love-seat rather than the floor would probably make their job in convincing him they weren't in on something together more difficult.

So even if she risked a bad back and discomfort throughout the night, she would see it through just to keep the King's suspicions from growing further.

Thus, she simply shrugged at the question in clear rejection of it, silently leaning across to blow out the candle beside her to let darkness cover the room once more. She wasn't expecting the other to elaborate on whatever she had dreamt of when clearly it was traumatising and Lauren wasn't about to pressure her closest friend in revealing information that she didn't feel comfortable with. Just because they were close friends at this point after going through so much together didn't mean Carina had to tell her everything the moment it happened - she knew she would tell her eventually, perhaps when the nightmare was less recent and she had had time to reflect upon it.

So the actual confession of what she had dreamt about caught Lauren by surprise, having convinced herself that her friend would keep the information to herself while she was still emotionally and mentally recovering from the trauma it had caused for her. She remained silent, simply allowing Carina to speak freely, at her own time, free of questions and interruptions that wouldn't have helped... even if Lauren found herself growing silent mostly because of how horrendous the nightmare sounded.

The detail of her death sent a shiver down her spine and the continuing details of what Sven had encouraged from the doctor, all of that cruel tearing just to get at the baby regardless of the pain and horror caused, made her grimace and clench her eyes shut as if that would stop her mind from concocting the brutal images up for her to see. It didn't, of course, and she was thankful for the dark shielding her paling expression from view.

It was just a nightmare; something not real... but the fact it could easily happen was what unnerved Lauren. Sven's character made that nightmare a possibility - he could leave her burned body simmering on the ground before letting the doctor hack away at Lauren without a glimmer of regret or guilt. It could so easily happen and that was what terrified her the most.

Not that she would utter that when it was of no help to either of them. In fact, she would prefer to dismiss the nightmare as a possible actuality in the future when she could instead support the other. Now wasn't a time for that when it would only perpetuate a topic Carina didn't want to discuss further, but her silence in itself was a support; an understanding that talking more about it just wasn't what she wanted or needed.

"...I'll wake you in the morning with some tea and a little fruit salad; you don't have to eat it but I'll bring some along nonetheless. Just-- let's get some sleep, I think we both need it."

"I wish they had bigger tea cups than the silly little china ones at breakfast. It seems tea is the only way I can keep anything down, and juice, for that matter. But anything solid or thicker than juice..." She wrinkled her nose at the mere thought of food, not even because of the events of the night but just in her usual disdain for it. While things had been getting better, since she was able to keep down her cravings, things still weren't perfect and even then Carina found those cravings coming back up sometimes.

However, she didn't continue her conversation with Lauren, since the events of the evening and then the nightmare had truly taken their toll on her. So with a final mumbled goodnight, and the lingering guilt of Lauren having to sleep on the floor on her chest, Carina fell into another restless sleep.

The next morning, the young queen woke only to feel like she hadn't slept at all. Sometimes she wondered why she bothered, perhaps if she exhausted herself with a lack of sleep, the time she did give in to it she would fall into a slumber so deep not even the nightmares would reach her. She knew she could discuss the possibilities of sleeping tablets, but after the nightmare last night, she had no want to face the royal physician. Besides, the sleeping tablets would only keep her under when the nightmares did appear and there would be no way out for her.

Sitting up with a wince, Carina quietly rolled her shoulders in an attempt to loosen the tension that had formed as knots within them. Her lower back held an ache, but it was nothing she wasn't used to. She knew she could sleep in longer, she had a right to, but why bother when she knew that sleep wouldn't come? She would be slightly grouchier for the first half hour of the morning as she fought away the cobwebs, but that would eventually drain away.

Carina glanced over the side of the bed to Lauren, but only to check the girl was still sleeping. She didn't wish to disturb her, she doubted she was able to sleep in at any point and besides, Carina had risen early. So instead she rested back on her side of the bed and sat up, with her back against the headboard.

With the water Lauren had given her last night, Carina reached into the drawer of her bedside table for the bottle of vitamin tablets. Shaking one out onto her hand, she looked at it venomously, as if hoping her glare alone would make sure it went down and stayed down. With a sigh, she shook her head and knocked the tablet back, chasing it down with some water soon after.

Unlike Lauren, who had somehow managed to sleep peacefully and restlessly on the floor of the bedroom, Sven had tossed and stirred throughout the night despite having a bed (naturally) fit for a King. He wasn't a light sleeper so having such a disturbed night wasn't typical for him, the man often able to fall to sleep easily and remain deep in slumber until the morning broke, even if he was stressed and had a lot on his mind to keep his brain so active.

But never before had he had the issue of his unborn child to contend with; never had he had his thoughts so occupied with fears and concerns over the health of that offspring. They were fears that existed even before that night's events - the moment he learned he was going to be a father, new worries flooded him in fear that something would go wrong and he wouldn't ever be able to experience fatherhood. That was all probably natural; the fears of a first-time father who just wanted everything to go smoothly.

What wasn't natural was the fear he had that there was no baby, at least not any longer. He didn't want to believe that Carina would ever lie about such a thing and cover up some horrific tragedy, but why else would she react with such fear against the physician, who only had the best of intentions to put their minds at ease about the baby? Why refuse her husband to come near? Why shield herself from view?

And why had Lauren been present? He didn't think the two liked one another and certainly didn't believe they had something planned, but he was starting to believe that the maid had been sworn to secrecy and thus was kept at her Queen's side to keep her silence ensured. Why else would she have been present in the room when her quarters were at the other side of the castle?

The moment Sven stepped into the bedroom with the tray of tea and a little fruit (just in case she had an appetite), the sight of Lauren on the floor made him grimace. The fact she was still asleep when she ought to be up and resuming her duties was just more evidence to suggest to him that something tragic had occurred in the night and, to keep her silence on the matter, Carina was allowing her maid to rest-in longer to keep her on side Why on earth would she allow her to rest in so late otherwise?

"...I'm well aware that Lauren was supposed to bring you your tea but I thought I'd bring it; I want to make myself useful over the course of the pregnancy and this is the only way I've been able to assist you so I won't have that responsibility taken from me," he muttered in explanation as he set the tray down, biting hard on the inside of his cheek to stop himself blurting out his concerns there and then. He had no proof to back up his concerns so he wasn't about to create a bitter atmosphere for no reason; not if he could help it.

"I'd like the doctor to check up on you today, Carina. To give you a once over, make sure everything's progressing smoothly. It's only normal that he checks you and the baby, isn't it? To make sure all is well. I trust you have no qualms with that?"

At the opening of the door, Carina scrambled to get the vitamins bottle back in her bedside table drawer and quickly closed it. She had an idea of who would be visiting her at that time in the morning, and she didn't wish for Sven to know about her needs to take vitamin tablets. Simply because she knew how he would react - repeatedly ask if the baby was alright, demand she made more of an effort to eat more, and then to schedule more doctor appointments.

Her shoulders tensed as she noted his glance to Lauren, who slumbered on, peacefully unaware to the exchange about to take place. Perhaps Carina should have woken the maid sooner; it may have kept them out of this mess.

"Assist our child." She corrected, placing the glass of water she held on the bedside table. From there she straightened, sitting up with a small wince as she rubbed the back of her neck, not enjoying the knots she found there. A testament to the stress the nightmare caused her last night. "Let's not fool anyone here, Sven. You're not trying to assist me by bringing me this tea and... small fruit salad. You're merely assisting our child. The moment he or she is born, you'll stop bringing me tea and instead go to them. Let's not pretend otherwise."

Despite her words, she reached for the tea to take a warming sip from the cup. Once again, her favourite brew.

However she choked on her next sip as he spoke up again, unable to stop the colour rushing from her cheeks at the mention of the physician. Images from the nightmare came rushing back and the cup of tea slammed down on the tray with small crash.

"He checked on me four days ago, Sven. I am not having that man lay another hand on me." Her voice was strained, hand instinctively rising to rest over her bump, "I can tell you now that what he said four days ago will be exactly what he will say today. I don't need to hear it all again. I'm slightly smaller than usual, but that is simply due to the nausea. Speaking of which, that ought to disappear within the next few weeks, he said, so my progress will be on a better track soon."

She took a deep breath, once more reaching for the cup now she was calmer. She knew he had no care for her nightmares, so why bother explaining the one last night to him? He would simply scoff, perhaps even laugh. And definitely use it against her at a later date.

"If that man comes in here and so much as looks at my bump, Sven, I will scream. If he touches me I will kick and even bite at him. I don't want him near me or my baby. Understand that now, and it'll mean less stress for all of us down the road."

The correction only served to irritate Sven as he rolled his eyes at the remark, doing his best not to get riled up so early on in the morning. He didn't want to feel that way around Carina in her condition (even if he had his doubts about it now) but he certainly didn't want to feel irritated so soon after waking up - it wasn't the best way to start the day, after all. But he couldn't help but be irked by it nonetheless, the man's jaw tightening as he held back the snapped response he wanted desperately to make.

"...I'm doing this for my child, yes, but I fail to see why that is an issue. Obviously all I care about is my child; why would I care about you? I refuse to believe you would even want me to harbour a genuine care or consideration for you Carina. I imagine you'd recoil in horror if I ever stated that I care for you irrespective of the child you're carrying so why bring attention to it? Why not just waive it aside when we both know what I meant; that I just care for my baby. It's all rather... childish, isn't it? As though you want to cause some bickering - and I don't really feel the need to entertain it. It may surprise you, but I have far more important matters to be concerned about than arguing petulantly with you."

Having started calmly, Sven took himself by surprise that he had managed to conclude in the same manner. Usually, any efforts at speaking calmly when annoyed would end up with his voice raised and venom dripping from his words. Instead, he had remained calm and managed to get through his response without letting the growing anger reach the surface, somehow even managing to hold it back so it dissipated over the following few seconds.

He turned to look out of the window as he focused intensely on keeping his composure that way; cool and collected, rather than revealing an outburst of anger that threatened to show itself at her words. He wanted nothing more than for her to agree to be seen by the doctor when that alone would confirm to him that she had nothing to hide. She wasn't confirming the details of her nightmare to settle his fears so what else was he supposed to believe? This wasn't paranoia but a genuine, perhaps even justifiable fear that the Queen was hiding something devastating from him - why else was she acting in such a way?

She might have recently had a check up, but to Sven, any mother-to-be wouldn't turn down the chance to see a doctor and receive more confirmation that things were going smoothly. Even if it was only to settle Sven's clear concerns, he thought she would see it through for him; to stop him fretting so much. Apparently, that wasn't the case and it caused a resentment to build in him at her selfishness.

"...So you won't see the doctor then. Understood," he quipped quickly as he absently played with the wedding band on his finger, his eyes remaining locked on the scenery beyond the window. All Carina's refusal did was fuel the fear that she had lost the baby and coping with the onslaught of emotions that caused in him was almost impossible - but he managed nonetheless. He might have thought his suspicions were confirmed but he couldn't reveal them yet; he wanted something concrete to challenge her with, rather than just his suspicions that couldn't really be backed up just yet.

"The physician did tell me that it was extremely strange for your nausea to continue this long, Carina. I'd have thought you'd want to see him, to ensure everything's alright regarding that, but... I understand that you don't wish to. That's... fine. I get it. I... I understand. Just... drink your tea and enjoy your day; I'll see you this evening with your supper."

"The bickering makes you leave quicker." Carina muttered softly under her breath, picking up her cup and taking a sip of tea soon after. She wasn't sure if he had heard her, and wasn't sure if she really cared if he did. Their peaceful moment of understanding last night was obviously gone, and she felt like a fool to have thought it could have manifested into anything else. That it could have actually have been replicated on other occasions. Once more his words had her wondering what it would be like to experiencing this pregnancy with someone who actually cared about her, and not just the child she carried.

Quickly she turned her head away from where he stood near the window to look down at Lauren, biting hard at the inside of her cheek. She didn't need to focus on those thoughts when he was around, it would only serve to upset her and those tears he could - and would - use against her.

"No, I won't. I don't know why I need to repeat myself when you've clearly heard me the first time. If that man touches me again, I will scream. So you best look for a midwife or at least another physician to deliver our child." She answered, glancing back across to him once her emotions were settled.

His behaviour was unsettling her; it made her nervous, the way he was just stood there staring out at the landscape. He was calm, composed... she had expected him to fight her more over seeing the doctor. Carina wouldn't have even put it past him to tie her down to the bed himself just so the physician could give her another check over. She wasn't to know what was going through his head, while she felt like she knew parts of him... there were still elements to her husband (albeit unwanted husband) that she still couldn't read.

It was rather amusing that if the two were to simply open up to the other - Carina with the details of her nightmare and Sven with his anxieties of her losing the child - then such tension could have been avoided. However with the two monarchs in a constant state of war with each other, any vulnerabilities, concerns and openness could immediately be manipulated and exploited.

His conceding in the discussion only caused her even more bewilderment, a furrowed brow clearly showcasing that emotion. His trailing words, the lack of insult and venom to his words... it was all rather odd. However it wasn't like last night, where there were clear signs of a momentary ceasefire. This time Carina had no idea what was going on.

"Not everyone has a perfect pregnancy like Natalia, Sven. Not everyone gets to experience the magic of pregnancy without some sort of ailment. Besides, it's not as if I've asked for it. I don't want it." She was referring to the nausea, which bubbled in her throat as they spoke but not due to morning sickness, but rather in a result of her anxiety. Another sip of her tea forced it back, and she took a deep breath, "Don't bother with supper, since you have more important matters to be concerned with. Lauren can bring me it."

"I have more important matters to deal with that aren't arguing with you, Carina. Caring for my baby by ensuring you're tended to is one of the more important duties I have to undertake so please don't twist my words - the baby is my priority; he or she will always come first. So no, Lauren will not be bringing you your tea; I really wish you would just... let me do what I need to do for my child. I will not tolerate you incessant attempts of pushing me out of the picture, alright? So I will bring you your supper; Lauren will have to busy herself with another responsibility, assuming you see fit to wake her anytime soon."

With that, the King glanced down at the sleeping maid to emphasise his point though did so with a smile; one that didn't quite meet his eyes. It was obvious that her slumber -and the fact Carina had allowed her to sleep in- wasn't to Sven's liking, though he didn't say so and didn't explicitly show it either. He opted to smile and merely reference Lauren without offering an opinion into the matter, and while his smile didn't reach his eyes, the fact he hadn't just scowled and made his displeasure obvious was... a choice that didn't necessarily make sense on the surface.

But what it was was a return to the behaviour that he had exhibited when they first met. Not a charade where he pretended to be some innocent soul, but simply the vagueness; the shield over him preventing anyone from knowing what went on beneath it. He had always kept Carina at an arms' length and kept some elements of his life back from her but he had failed over the months, allowing her to know what went on in his head because he was so incapable of holding back his emotions around her.

It was something he didn't want to do any longer; he wanted to make an effort to remain closed off and nonchalant even in the face of instances that enraged him. The less she was able to understand him, the better. He had enjoyed their moment together last night, opening up to her and feeling a strange bond awaken between them... but that was no longer something he wanted to put any effort or energy towards when he thought Carina to be a liar who was deliberately hiding some tragic truth from him.

Why would he let someone so duplicitous get to know him, to understand him, when she was inherently untrustworthy and could use his vulnerabilities against him?

"Try and eat some of the fruit, would you? I don't need to stress the importance to you so just make an effort, as I'm sure you always do," he murmured as he ran a finger absently across the wooden dressing table, plucking up a ring from the trinket dish with a faint smile at realising it was his late mother's.

"...I want you to start making an effort with your appearance too - you need to look like you're the Queen of Ignis, not just some passerby. Wear more crimson. More jewellery. More than you already do; it's important. Even if you don't leave the castle, the servants here see you and they talk to those outside these walls. So do yourself a favour and work on... making yourself look like you belong here."

"Why should I have to wake the maid to do her job? She should be more than capable than waking herself up in the morning; I'm a Queen, not an alarm clock. She'll be dealt with when she wakes up. As for pushing you out of the picture, you can't really blame me when in a few years you'll have me axed from it entirely. I'm making the most of my time with my child, without you there to sour it."

He had closed up again, his behaviour not even similar to that of when he was spiteful to her before. His actions were mixed; comments laced with a challenge accompanied by a smile rather than a frown or quirked eyebrow. This was not the Sven she had come to know and be able to read. His facial expressions often gave away exactly what he was feeling, not that it was hard, since it was obvious that anger was the first and foremost emotion she elicited from him.

To Carina, the only explanation behind his dramatic change in attitude and behaviour were the events from last night. The unexpected openness that they experienced from each other. Of course he would shut down and close himself off after such an evening together. Her own reaction had been similar, except she had simply gone back to her cold exterior. Despite how nice it had oddly been to not be at each other's throats, to realise they both had something in common... Carina knew she had been a fool to even allow herself the chance to believe there was a possibility that it could become more regular.

Biting back retorts and trying to stay strong was exhausting. Even more so now with the toll of the pregnancy, with the constant nausea and nightmares. She didn't want to keep fighting with Sven in such a way where it just constantly drained her and made her want to sleep (even if she couldn't even do that because of the fear of what lay in wait for her when she shut her eyes). It would be so much easier if he just stayed out of the way, as he had been doing by avoiding the gardens and the library when he knew she was in there.

However she was beginning to wonder if it would just be easier to allow him to fuss over her, bring the tea and whatever meal she needed for the day, say what he had to and then let him leave. She didn't have to give him an answer or a response of any kind. She could just sit there, silently, either reading or singing or talking to the baby while he prattled on with whatever nonsense he wanted.

Perhaps that was her new way forward.

"But I don't... belong... here." Carina couldn't believe his audacity, pushing the words out from between gritted teeth. "I don't need to make an effort with anything. I'm pregnant, Sven. The only thing I should be worrying about is making sure my food stays down so our child is healthy and strong. I don't care what they say to the people beyond the walls - they already have an opinion of me and that'll never change." She stared at him, still in disbelief at his request.

Then she pulled herself out of the bed, wincing at the slight ache in her lower back which was accompanied by her hand rubbing softly against it. She took a few steps to the end of the bed, a hand reaching out to hold the post attached to the frame, the other moving to rub the side of her stomach.

"If all you're here to do this morning is criticise me and give me orders, then you can get out. I'm exhausted and I simply don't have the energy to contend with your mood today or the bullshit you're going to spout. You've tended to me, now go tend to Natalia. I'm done with you this morning."

Sven had no concrete proof that his wife was no longer with-child. He didn't want to believe that the events from last night were anything more than an aftermath of a night terror, that Carina was perfectly fine and, more importantly to him, so was his child - but something continue to eat away at him, the fear that she might have lost the baby being something he couldn't rid himself of. It was plaguing him and causing him incredible distress but he couldn't just ignore it when it held such gravity.

A child was all he desired most in the world because it gave him a chance to be a father and raise and nurture a child with love and care. The fact that he might have lost that tore him up. He would still have a chance with Natalia's baby (unaware of the truth there) but that didn't mean the aching in his soul of the possible loss of his other baby didn't tear away at him. The pain would be impossible to overcome and so the sight of Carina continuing to act as though she was pregnant made him cold inside.

Of course, she could be pregnant still and his fears misplaced... but he couldn't help leading himself down the path that she was lying to his face, masquerading a pregnancy and its effects on her despite no longer being in that situation. He wanted to confront her now, to stop the act he thought she was presenting to him, but he knew he needed proof. Evidence that was indisputable that she couldn't waive away or cast doubt upon - and right now, he didn't have that.

He was pulled out of his thoughts at her apparent refusal to adhere to the request regarding her appearance. He might have expected the response and so was able to retain a nonchalance in response to it, but he felt a sudden burst of heat spreading throughout him as a result, his hands clenching into fists as he fought back the urge to just expel an abrupt explosion of fire to help deal with the stress Carina put him through.

It had been years since he lost his temper in such a way; he had been a young teenager when he last got so angry that a room was set alight and engulfed by flames. Since then, he had managed to achieve an impressive control over the element but fire wasn't like ice; it was wild and temperamental, almost uncontrollable if its possessor was in a high emotional state. Sven was known for his angry outbursts and yet hadn't burned down a room accidentally for years.

The fact he now felt fire running through his veins in desperation to be released spoke volumes for how much Carina was pushing his buttons.

"You will make an effort with your appearance, regardless of whether you set foot outside the castle or not. You're the Queen and you will look the part, Carina," he murmured once more as he moved to stand just in front of her, taking advantage of the rather dramatic height difference to peer down at her. He didn't want to intimidate her when she could still be pregnant but he was losing his patience with her, and so he wanted to make his point clear and understand. If he had to intimidate her a little to make himself heard, he would.

"You are not in charge here, Carina. Do not fucking attempt to assert dominance or even a sense of authority over me. I've allowed you to essentially do as you wish in the castle, wander wherever you fancy. I've kept my distance and avoided venturing into the gardens as a result of that, despite the fact I used to enjoy sitting out there and reading through papers on a good day. I've respected you enough these last few months, even if I really didn't need to do such a thing. But I am the King; your King. You will fucking do as I say," he snapped, the change from nonchalance to sternness appearing in a blink of an eye, the change of tone accompanied by a dominating body language as the King leaned over Carina, close enough so his face was just a few inches from her own.

Eventually, he retracted from the position and smiled, almost eerily calmly, as he adjusted a few stray strands of his own hair, smoothing them neatly to the side.

"...Enjoy the rest of your morning. And do wake up your maid. It may not be your job but you invited the girl to sleep in your room; take some responsibility for her."

Ever since that morning, Carina had certainly noticed a difference with Sven. Over the next month, his behaviour continued in the same way she had experienced that morning. It was much harder to read him, with his words saying one thing but expression showing another. The intimidation she witnessed occurred another handful of times, and she could sense the underlying threat of his flames as they squared off to each other. It was a complete mystery to her as to why he was behaving in such a way. It soon became clear that he didn't suspect her and Lauren, since the maid had been late one or two mornings afterwards like she usually was when called to his chambers. And she had told him it was a nightmare the night she screamed the place down.

So why was he acting so oddly with her? At least more so than usual.

Because of her uncertainty, Carina did what she could to avoid Sven where it was possible. Which, unknowingly to her, probably made her look even more guilty in the eyes of the king. However she did take note to tolerate his demand of looking more like a royal, although it pained her to wear more crimson and more Ignis crown jewels. If only to keep him from exploding on her.

That next month, leading up to her being almost six months pregnant, meant Carina found herself actually walking on eggshells around Sven when she did have to tolerate being in the same room as him. She found herself moving further and further down the table away from him, and Natalia, keeping to herself when possible. It got to a point where she sat at the head of the other end of the table. She spent more time in the library and less in the garden, both so he could use it as he said he liked to but also because she could feel eyes on her the first few times she went there after their confrontation.

The young queen also continued to refuse to see the royal physician, still not over the fear that possessed her each time she envisioned him touching her and her bump. However she still took every precaution to make sure she was doing right by her unborn child: taking her vitamins, drinking as much water as possible, singing and reading out loud to them. Her nausea was beginning to die away, so while she woke feeling incapable of eating breakfast, her appetite was better by dinner.

The bump had grown more, and many of her clothes didn't fit as well anymore, meaning a new wardrobe of more comfortable outfits with less corsets and looser tie-ups. She had noticed her hair had become thicker and fuller, but her backaches had become more frequent and some dizziness had cropped up from time to time. Not to mention baby brain, but she attempted to keep that to a minimum when around Sven, and even Natalia.

Not that that didn't stop her from harbouring some suspicions regarding the other woman, unknown to her that such suspicions were also being thought of for her. Of course Carina never liked her to begin with, but as the weeks progressed, she came to realise that things weren't adding up. Lauren had told her one evening that another of the maids saw the woman enjoying a bottle of wine one evening, which was a massive no-no in Carina's eyes. She had also noticed how the other woman was experiencing next to no symptoms: she didn't seem to be in pain while walking, make those tiny gestures to suggest a sore back or rub her belly as Carina had become accustomed to doing when the child finally did begin to move.

That helped provide some light within the anxiety, the happiness experienced when she felt her baby move for the first time. She had been in the library, softly murmuring out another Eirian lullaby when she felt the movement. She had gone still and stopped in surprise before ending up laughing and quietly starting the lullaby up again. The foot (or hand, she wasn't sure) pressed once more against the bump, bringing an emotional tear to her eye. A part of her wished she had that loved one to share it with, that her husband was someone she felt like she could approach and experience that moment with. However in the end, there was only her and it still made her smile.

Carina had eventually decided to focus on the positives. Thorin was still feeding Lauren information, still seemingly smitten with the maid. They had learned that some of the other guards were occasionally put out by Sven's behaviour and aggressive mood swings, however stayed by him because of either his powers or the begrudging loyalty they had been raised with to serve the crown. One had even whispered to Thorin that he believed something else had happened the night Sven's parents were murdered. There was also the time she had with her baby while it was still a bump, even if it meant Sven turned up unannounced at least once a day.

The afternoon, with Lauren having to deal with her usual chores, Carina requested a warm bubble bath. Her back had been aching more than usual and she once again had difficulty sleeping that night due to the bump and the new movements from the baby. She had just finished with it, and sat on the edge of the bathtub (which was a claw foot tub which sat in the centre of the en suite) with her back to the door and facing the window and the view of Ignis. She wore a simple slip as she debated whether or not just to spend the rest of the day in her room. Her bed was calling to her, yet she knew she couldn't stay inside all the time.

Exhaling heavily, she raised the towel to begin lazily drying her hair.

Last edited:
A month had passed. A month in which Sven was supposed to enjoy the excitement of the ever-nearing due dates. A month where he had planned on filling with preparations for his children's births, from decorating the shared nursery he wanted the babies to share to organising the grand celebration that would undoubtedly kick off when they were born. It was a huge occasion in Ignis, after all; not only was there to be an heir born to lead Ignis in future glories but their King was to have another child too. A child that might not ever be in line to the throne because of its illegitimacy, but who Sven had made little secret of loving just as much as its legitimate half-sibling.

Yet, nothing of the sort took place in that month. All the excitement he had wanted to allow himself to feel as fatherhood approached was sucked from him day by day until, at the end of the month, he was devoid of it altogether. Finding happiness when he felt as though there was a dark cloud looming over him constantly was impossible, each day met with new struggles for his emotional and mental well-being when it became more and more obvious to him that Carina was lying to his face.

More proof had built up over those weeks, from her continuing reluctance towards the physician to finding vitamins in her bedside cabinet. It all contributed to his fears, exacerbated his suspicions, leaving him growing more withdrawn despite the royal duties he had to continue to uphold. Despite the proof he felt he had to hold over Carina, none of it was concrete; nothing could be presented to her without her able to twist her way out of the confrontation somehow. There needed to be something irrefutable - and eventually, Sven got what he needed.

Natalia approached him that morning with the apparent news that a cleaner had in her possession bedsheets from Carina's room; bedsheets splattered with dots of blood. It was concerning but it was the behaviour Carina apparently exhibited to the cleaner that Sven felt confirmed his suspicions - how could her telling the cleaner to burn the sheets if she failed to remove the steins be anything other than suspicious behaviour?

Despite his bond with Natalia, he didn't believe her words at face value. Instead, he went to the source and only when the cleaner looked him in his eye and told him that Carina had brought the sheets to her, desperate to have the stain removed, did he believe that his fears were founded. He had contemplated the fact he was wrong, and he hoped constantly that he was, but how could he ignore what felt like undeniable proof that Carina had lost the baby and had just been lying about it?

Caught between wanting to be furious with her for lying and wanting to just mourn the loss, Sven visibly struggled between both emotions as he made his way to Carina's room. All courtesy went out the window as he barged in without warning, taking one glance around the room before shoving the door to the en suite wide open. A huff in disbelief escaped him at the sight of her bump - in his head, it wasn't real and just a representation of the desperate depths she was willing to sink to to keep the loss of the baby a secret.

"You-- You are fucking ridiculous, you know that? Pulling the wool over my eyes, pretending, deceiving me-- that's the work of a-- an emotionless psycho, Carina-- take your robe off," he blurted, his words tripping over one another in his rising anger. He had been angry plenty of times when it came to Carina, but never had he shouted at the top of his lungs before. He hadn't ever lost his composure to that extent but this was a situation that was entirely new to him so there was no other way he could react to it other than with anger.

"Take you fucking robe off. I know you're not pregnant; you can't go rushing off to my cleaner with bloody sheets and expect me not to find out. So remove your goddamn robe before I fucking lose it with you. Do it!" He hissed through gritted teeth, a hand slamming shut the door behind him with such force that it came away from its hinges a little. That hand left behind an outline on the wood, the fire burning beneath his skin resulting in the blackened scorches to remain behind on the door - though it was the least of his concerns.

"If you are pregnant, you'll look it, but I have a feeling it's as fake as you've been the last month. If you've got nothing to hide, you'll take the robe off and show me."

Despite everything that had happened over the past year and two months, never had Carina felt this terrified for her life. She startled to her feet at the sound of the en suite door slamming open, twisting sharply to face her furious husband. His anger, the heat of his rage, rolled off him in waves and she wasn't sure she had ever seen him lose his composure so much before. Her face paled, feet instinctively taking a few steps back despite the tub and the gap that still remained between them. She wondered what she had done to evoke such fury, at one point she considered if he had really found out about what she was doing - the plot with Lauren to stage another overthrow. She feared what would happen to her friend, and even worse just why her own punishment involved her removing her slip.

Yet his next set of words hit her like a sucker punch.

He... seriously thought she wasn't pregnant anymore. He thought she had been lying for the past two months or so. Carina knew that they didn't think very highly of each other, but she at least thought he knew she wouldn't be that heartless.

With wide eyes she stared at him in disbelief, only to jump and place a protective hand over her bump as the door was thrown shut behind him, towel dropping to the floor. Her flinch was accompanied by a small, soft noise; a verbal acknowledgement of the fear that caused her heart to pound and blood to roar in her ears. Eyes then moved to the door, swallowing thickly at the scorch marks that now marred it and she blinked furiously to keep tears from welling up. Weak knees caused her to sit on the edge of the toilet, the lid down in order for her to do so as she moved her gaze back to him.

Bloody bed sheets? Who would lie to him about her providing bloody bed sheets to a cleaner? Not to mention, why would she trust anyone in this castle to keep such a fact from Sven? Clearly something was going on here that neither of them could figure out - or at least seemingly so, since Sven seemed under the impression he had it all worked out.

Clearly the sheets came from somewhere, either the supposed evidence was staged or the sheets belonged to someone of her station, or at least someone that was high up enough in Sven's regard to earn themselves that luxury. But that could be a handful of people. It could be one of the women he enjoyed on the side, it could be his new Head of Guard just to spite Thorin. Or it could be... it could be Natalia.

"I-- I don't now what you think you know, Sven..." She finally spoke, voice wobbling as she attempted to remain calm, "But-- but despite... despite our differences, I would-- I would... never lie about such a thing. Th--that is where I draw the line."

Both hands now rested on her bump, and a slight hiccup escaped her as she felt something press back momentarily.

Standing, she took a few anxious steps to pick up her towel from where it had been dropped, draping it over the edge of the tub. It would be humiliating, undoubtedly so. Having to strip in front of him just to prove she was pregnant. Yet she knew it would be the only way to convince him, to have him calm down and to make him see reason. She had to focus on that; that her doing as he demanded would keep her, and her child, safe.

Trembling fingers lowered to the hem of her slip, pausing there before she plucked up the last of her courage to pull it up and over her head. Then she stood there: vulnerable, humiliated and even ashamed. An arm moved to sit across her breasts and the other hand lowered in an attempt to cover herself. The bump seemed to be, finally, around average size for where she was at. A few stretch marks marked the skin either side of the bump, for which she had been moisturising in an attempt to combat more from appearing.

Her eyes lowered to the swell of her stomach, focusing on that rather than the situation at hand before she couldn't bare it any longer and snatched the towel up to wrap it around herself, squeezing her eyes shut as once more she fought back tears. As she began to wrap the towel around herself, something seemed to flutter under her skin, and the hand that had been covering her came to rest over the area over the top of the towel.

The fear that Carina presented to him wasn't anything but a representation of the guilt he was entirely certain she was full of in this moment, realising that the charade was up now she had been exposed; there was no way back from it. He was so confident that he had stumbled upon the truth and backed her into a corner she couldn't sneak her way out of that her evident fear, the shaking of her hands and the widening of her eyes, didn't provoke in the man any concern that he may have got it wrong.

It was just further evidence to him that she was a liar; that she was fearful for herself and the repercussions of her lie. He already thought she was selfish for keeping the tragedy to herself, so her fear didn't stir any sympathy from him. If anything, it just cemented the view he had that she was selfish and resulted in him scowling over at her in disgust. If he could remove himself from the certainty that he was right, he would have seen that there was nothing selfish to be witnessed; that her fear was borne from a genuine disbelief that he thought she was capable of something so heartless - and what he might do to her if she didn't follow his demands.

As vulnerable as it made her to remove the robe, it was the only action capable of satisfying the King - or rather, convincing him that all the evidence he had been presented with were mere fabrications and exaggerations. He had been told in confidence by Natalia, a woman he trusted with his life, so he didn't even consider the fact that Carina was being truthful, the man already bracing himself for the sight of some falsified bump that she had concocted to perpetuate the lie through the future months.

Instead, the shock flooded his face as the realisation set in that she wasn't lying to him; there was no denying that she was pregnant, a fact that Sven had to come to terms with. He did try to convince himself that it still wasn't real, but deluding himself with a lie when the truth was obvious couldn't be done... even if it left him holding his head and turning away in obvious torment. He had tortured himself for a month with the fear that Carina had lost their baby, after all. He had been told countless pieces of 'evidence' to reinforce that fear, the latest having appeared to him to be so concrete that he hadn't considered once that he was wrong.

How could he, when he had someone in his ear constantly convincing him whenever his doubts seemed to fade? When Natalia was so determined to remind him of Carina's deceit, there was no chance for him to take a step back and consider how outlandish it was for Carina to think she could get away with faking the pregnancy. He ought to have realised the ridiculousness of it at some point - but with Natalia ceasing to stop whispering to him, urging him to think how she wanted him to think, he had been led to storming into the bathroom so determined to uncover a horrific lie.

Instead, he felt guilt twisting away within him, his expression conflicted between that guilt and confusion. He had shown glimpses of being raw and vulnerable to her before, however brief those moments were, but he had at least seemed in control of himself. The same couldn't be said for the state he was in now, the young King eventually coming to a stop from his pacing to stare back over at Carina, his complexion pale and mouth opening and closing as he struggled to find the right words.

"...I was told that you demanded the cleaner to burn bloody sheets if she couldn't clean them, Carina. That... is suspicious, isn't it? And I was told you had vitamins that... women who had miscarried would take, I... I was told that. I saw the bottle for myself. You've been drinking wine too, I was-- told that," he eventually murmured, his voice faltering the moment he realised just how often he was repeating the fact others had told him of the 'evidence' he had clung so tightly to - though his suspicions towards Natalia were still non-existent. He would assume she was incorrect without assuming anything more malevolent.

"...I...I'm sorry," he continued with a frown, running a hand through his hair while the other silently rested back at his side. "I was... wrong, I just... was... certain that you had gone through something tragic and panicked and... told a lie to cover it up, I was... I thought I had proof. The bloody sheets-- I thought that was proof. It is suspicious, I stand by that. What-- What were you doing, telling the woman to burn them? Natalia said that you had scared the poor woman with the forcefulness of your demands. I assumed it was... proof of a deceit."

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Viverescribere