Playing IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Nexerus

Original poster
Are you the token computer guy in your circle of friends? Do your family members come to you asking for help when their computers are so full of malware they completely cease to function?

I've spent several hours now painstakingly manually deleting toolbars and dolphin screensavers, and I'm about ready to just set the whole damn thing on fire. The stupidity of the people around me never fails to be a source of amazement.

I worked for several different 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support centers. I am relegated to being the Computer Guy, regardless of how capable my surroundings are.

My grandmother bought a laptop from Office Max. Fresh out the store, they loaded it up with crazy ass tool bars and some thing that turns words on the webpage into shopping links. Shit never ends sometimes.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Sadly, I am the computer guy. I was told to help walk my mother through setting up and explaining Windows 8 to her.... I have never used windows 8!

I was the computer guy until my brother got into it, was told it was "his thing", and to let him take care of any issues with technology in the house. And now I'm at Imperial, which is essentially the MIT of the UK, so most people are at least mildly capable with computers anyway. Although it is surprising how many of them are clueless.

I know that feeling. Getting rid of crapware people have installed...........installing anti-malware. Clearing out the damn malware.....babying it for almost two hours just to get it into an okay spot. Ugh. At least I got paid for it. I've also been trying to troubleshoot a problem at my mom's job. why? their "tech guy" has NO formal training. He can do all the physical work but knows nothing about troubleshooting. So I've decided when I move back home I'm going to go to work with her and watch the damn problem myself!

I went from working as a programmer for a telecom company to working for a company that deals with contractors, architects and engineers all day. I miss the telecom days. lol

I usually have to play the tech guy for my dad, although it's mostly oriented around "How do I do this on Word?" and me helping him make more effective Google searched. I myself have occasional malware issues though that I can't solve for him or myself. I mean, I am damn careful with what I click. My dad won't even open e-mails from family members unless we tell him that we sent them, and when I found Iwaku I spent a good 3 weeks opening it up in incognito (for some reason I thought it would help) and running scans after every use just to make sure it wasn't a virus riddled roleplay site. But it still happens sometimes. That said my malware problem solving is limited to deleting crap files and installing malewarebytes or some other site like that.

A lot of supposed "tech experts" are fucking idiots. I'm a programmer and have had to walk a network engineer through simple computer issues.
To be fair though....apparently they can't find anyone with the right degree. If I apply I may be kicked up to head of the department....and I have minimal experience >.< The current guy is a business major. As for that kinda stuff.....yeah....it makes me mad when people say they're tech experts but can't troubleshoot simple issues. makes me angry.

Trouble Shooting is a skill. Most are incapable of progressive, step by step, methodical thinking. It's sad really.

But I do not see others at idiots becouse they are incapable of doing what I do.

• Love
Reactions: Windsong
To be fair though....apparently they can't find anyone with the right degree. If I apply I may be kicked up to head of the department....and I have minimal experience >.< The current guy is a business major. As for that kinda stuff.....yeah....it makes me mad when people say they're tech experts but can't troubleshoot simple issues. makes me angry.
I understand the having to do more than you're trained for, but when I hear the word engineer behind your title I assume a certain level of skill. That and it's always self proclaimed "experts" that seem to never know what to do.
Most of the time at work this is me:
serenity-now.png
Ok, I'm taking deep breaths and calming down now.

Engineer has fuck all to do with computers though. YOu realize that right. Civil Engineers did their proffesion without computers for gods knows how long. Your connotation towards the word is yours, not the general public.

Engineer has fuck all to do with computers though. YOu realize that right. Civil Engineers did their proffesion without computers for gods knows how long. Your connotation towards the word is yours, not the general public.
So a network engineer, someone who is supposed to network computers together and make sure they talk, shouldn't know anything about computers?

I handle more IT issues in my school than the damned tech guy.

Unplugged about thirty PCs to clean and wax the floor. The dude flipped his shit saying it could take hours to fix it all.

There was all of three cables per pc. Intern, mouse/keyboard, and power.

Don't get me started on them having issues with the wifi and the email system. It's friggin outlook!

Oh no. As a fellow Network Engineer, you should know a computer XD. I meant more you going "with the word Engineer; I believe certein skills" was a big missguided. Engineering is a massive area of expertice.

That said. Its likely he knows alot about hardware, alot less about software. A network engineer work very little with direct software in comparison to to cables, routers and the like.

Reactions: Windsong
Oh no. As a fellow Network Engineer, you should know a computer XD. I meant more you going "with the word Engineer; I believe certein skills" was a big missguided. Engineering is a massive area of expertice.

That said. Its likely he knows alot about hardware, alot less about software. A network engineer work very little with direct software in comparison to to cables, routers and the like.
Sorry, in my rage fueled rant, I did lump all engineers together.

S'allright. We engineers lump all service guys together. :D

Reactions: nyther
Status
Not open for further replies.