evening on thur , fri, and sat
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
Genres
dragon age series, asoiaf series, erotic, dark fantasy, high fantasy, suspense, adventure
Any pointers for playing as a rogue in a fantasy setting, particularly where combat and skills are concerned? Any advice would be helpful. ^^

We talking, like, the writing of combat, etc?

When I write combat for any character, I try and have it match with the character (or, if you must, the class); hulking, Goliath figures swinging their wide, almost haphazard strokes, for example. Some interesting ways to approach Rogues and combat:

> Frenetic. Tap into the idea of Rogues as these super fast, live-wire dervish like characters, who fight as they live - free, and on the edge. Use words that evoke a sense of momentum, speed ('jolt', 'sprung'). If you have a combatant that moves around a lot, make sure to be mindful of the environment combat is occurring in.

> Languid/Whimsical. Tap into the idea of Rogues as these nonchalant, devil-may-care characters. Smooth-talking, idyllic even in combat. Sometimes you just play them as cool, and collected. Sometimes, particularly if the tone's lighter, you can write them with a certain whimsy, if that makes any sense. Use movement words that are lighter ('floated', 'pranced', 'frolicked'), inject some levity.

There's other decisions to make. You can be resourceful, you can be a cheat (kick em in the nuts, pocket sand 'em), etc. Decide if you'd like to place emphasis on like... the seedier aspects of the Rogue, or maybe the more romantic-type aspects of the Rogue.

===

Skills is not really my bag. Can do some practical research on like the engineering of traps, bombs, and stuff, but it's more likely you want to just gloss over the nitty-gritty. Rogues are often the 'Face' characters, good with their words and whatnot, although Rogues should seldom be infallible in this regard; they'll likely have moments where their personal leanings or flaws get in the way of their silver tongue, and also moments when their silver tongue is the cause of their troubles.