3. Elementary
  4. Intermediate
  5. Adept
  6. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy
I've been developing a world I refer to as King's Revenant, specifically, a historical period in the world known as the Dark Age where the majority of the world rejected sorcery, and sorcerers were persecuted fervently. While I am developing a fairly distinct image of what I want the Conclave Hunters to be like, one of few established witch hunting organizations, I do need to create covens for witches/sorcerers and develop what sorcerers might be like, what types of sorceries might be prevalent, and so on.

So, my question is, does anyone have advice or suggestions in playing a sorcerer/witch in a world that's a mix between low and high fantasy?

What do you mean by a mix between low and high fantasy? I've never heard of that before. What are the features in the story and what part of the story are you struggling with in regards to needing advice on playing a rogue sorcerer? What are rogues in your world? What are sorcerers in your world?

@Kat

Just ignore the low-high fantasy bit, and rogue sorcerers are just as they sound: Sorcerers who are rogue. Witches, as they're called in the "Dark Age," they practice sorceries which are religiously thought to be evil. They're persecuted quite often, and there are various forms of sorceries a Witch may begin to practice, such as Evocation, the communing and making of covenants with demons.
I simply wish for tips and whatnot anyone could throw my way to making a more believable or... whatever-the-word-is-I'm-looking-for witch.

@Kat

Just ignore the low-high fantasy bit, and rogue sorcerers are just as they sound: Sorcerers who are rogue. Witches, as they're called in the "Dark Age," they practice sorceries which are religiously thought to be evil. They're persecuted quite often, and there are various forms of sorceries a Witch may begin to practice, such as Evocation, the communing and making of covenants with demons.
I simply wish for tips and whatnot anyone could throw my way to making a more believable or... whatever-the-word-is-I'm-looking-for witch.

I'm still not quite understanding what you mean by rogue sorcerer, however, if this is low fantasy, I'd suggest keeping magic extremely limited and if these rogue sorcerers are ones who practice magic, another suggestion might be for these sorcerers to be endangered, if not near extinction.

Reactions: Beast of Lores
Hey @Beast of Lores

There are quite a few things that can be done when playing a witch, warlock or sorcerer. For one, you can start with levels of power. Newer practicing witches would be very inexperienced with witchcraft. They would only be able to handle the simplest of spells and be able to access only the simplest of materials. As a witch ages and continues maturing in their skills, they have access to more advanced spells. You would also assume that the harder the spell, the harder the acquisition of the ingredients needed to complete such a spell.

You can also have types of magic. For example, light magic would have more positive aspects (such as a healing spell) and dark magic would be more negative (such as death spell). All magic should come with consequences of some sort. You could have a healing spell significantly weaken the spell caster. You could also have a more dark spell require a blood sacrifice or the death of a loved one, etc. Here's a couple handy lessons that go further into detail with magic: LESSON - WORLDBUILDING - MAGIC - Figuring Out Magic and LESSON - WORLDBUILDING - MAGIC - Elemental Magic.

As far as coven politics, newer witches would be at the bottom of the food chain and an older witch could be a leader with access to very advanced magical abilities. You could also have a coven have a group of leaders where each elder is equivalent in power or you can have a hierarchy among the leadership with the more experienced and powerful witches higher up on the chain. You could also try the idea of witches without covens being at a disadvantage than those that have the support of their brothers and sisters.

Hope any of this advice helps you out. Feel free to ask more questions if needed.

Reactions: Beast of Lores