Plague

Poevettea Domovoi
Mentions: Esme || @Applo

Did this count as losing? No, not exactly. It just wasn't playing to her own preference.

It was not Poe's intent to slump down in her seat after Sergeant Sumford's declared their path come dawn, but she had nonetheless. With a stray hand wandering to her hair to knot a strand around her finger in absent contemplation, Poe came to the conclusion this was nothing to be upset about, and even if she had, it wouldn't have mattered.

She released a vocal breath and pushed herself from her seat in a single action, her brain shifting from how best to approach a potential hot zone, to making friends with her new team. Her continence shifted from one of cold duty, with sprinkles of bitchy-ness, to almost aloof joy, and she fold her arms in front of her before observing the others that were beating her to the punch in terms of getting to know one another.

The quaint nurse, who had been the last person she had expected to agree with brute force, had started making friends with the assumedly older southern man -- was it Jed? Yes, she was almost certain his name had been Jed.

Then she noticed the girl who had been scrawling notes like a mad woman. In absent curiosity, Poe took a few sauntering steps until she was positioned to look over the younger woman's shoulder without obviously snooping, only to discover that she had no way of discerning whatever language the girl was taking notes in.

It was then that she stood, spoke and introduced herself and made her revelation. A former savage? There was a brief moment were she thought this Esme might've taken some resentment at her quick draw to burning through the savage village.

No. She was here, and it seems, she knew they were murderous monsters to anyone not with them.

"Nice to meet ya', darlin'. Povettea, but you can call me Poa."

Povettea hadn't known that Esme had been a savage, but she had gathered her name before the meeting, after all they had the same job.

"You're Containment too aren't ya'? I'm sure someone with a background like that is quite talented at quartering infected."

The woman who spoke now seemed like a different voice than the one who had opted for immediate violence during the previous briefing; a full Texan draw was now in action, and her tone betrayed none of the prior teased violence, but instead, a light hearted kindness.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Applo
Jade glanced, seeing back to the refreshments more food or a refill of beverage did cross her mind, however, she didn't pay much thought when she heard Peaches begin to share her own decision on the matter at hand . Then nodding upon hearing the tie breaker decision. 'Alright go around it is.' Looking around Jade wondered exactly what everyone truly felt about the final say on the plans. Then before she had anything to say someone else began to speak up. 'Esme was her name, got it. I think I have it anyways.' Immediately upon hearing a brief bit about Esme and her Savage tribal past Jade's eyes lit up a moment. "Nice to meet ya!" Jade commented enthusiastically.

Suddenly many questions filled her mind she would certainly need to ask. Perhaps she could ask if Esme knew anything about tech and share a little about her side project. For Jade has become a bit stumped: a new perspective from someone with a very unfamiliar background might help, for she wondered a bit about how the Savages created some of their own contraptions with the obvious limit on supplies to find around now days. Jade hadn't realized how much day dreaming she had quickly began until checking back in a while late of the conversations. 'What was it they told me back in the army and Peaches reinstated? Hmm oh right mission first. Anything for the reappears must be the primary focus; side projects are on my own time and can not risk others safety.' Jade seemed to fidget within her seat a moment. Maybe she should stretch that might help her refocus. "Well Esme I try not to judge too hard about the past. It's the person you have become that sets a first impression." Jade added finally after she knew she wasn't interrupting anyone else she hoped her words set Esme a bit at ease.

Jade didn't plan to just head out but she began to realize it would be wise to make a point to double check she had all they could need to keep transportation up and running along with taking a chance to familiarize herself a bit more before they set off. She was a noob after all even if she wasn't new to working with the technology Reapers had on hand.

• Love
TO BOLDLY GO...

Mission Report: 10/20/21 | 08:30 | The Gates

Springfield weather was just as mercurial as any Midwestern town. One tried in vain to adapt, but even when they'd had the luxury of weather reports, they'd learned early on to expect the unexpected.

Winter had arrived early. Overnight, the city had been transformed into a glittering wonderland. Fat, cloudy white snowflakes fell upon the towering perimeter walls and the paved roads beneath citizen's feets. They caught in the folds of Reaper garb and lay in wet lumps on one's lashes. At the gates, those readying for departure watched the darkening skies with trepidation.

It didn't look as if it would stick. Still, one could never be too careful. What should have been a sizable crowd of curious onlookers had been thinned out by the unexpected snowfall. Those who remained were family - both by blood and in arms, as reserve Reapers came to wish the unit goodluck. At the outskirts, a familiar Sergeant "Peaches" Sumford could be seen hugging another blonde woman tightly. An older gentleman in Reaper attire stood close by, a weathered hand firmly gripping the squad leader's right shoulder. He leaned in to whisper something Peaches' ear.

For those less inclined to chit chat - or having none to say goodbye to - there was work to be done at the camper.

Due to the size of their squad, they had been commissioned a larger, newer vehicle. Perhaps "vehicle" was too basic a word for it. It resembled, quite literally, a boxcar set loose from the train tracks, reinforced and saddled with eight massive tires with the singular intent to withstand anything in its path. It was a beast of the Corps. machinations. It appeared largely indestructible, and several Reapers - and some particularly nosy civilians - had come to gawk at the exterior.

Personal effects and weaponry remained boxed outside of the metal vehicle. Along with those, any additional medical supplies and individual belongings needed to be placed in the corresponding areas: Cargo Bay, Triage, and Bunks. There was fifteen minutes for work before departure.

GM NOTE:

Ready for the road? Now's the time to explore the camper should you like. From front to the rear, there are four main compartments: The Box - where all main controls (ex: the navigational and mapping system) is operated from, Triage - where patients are brought for care, Bunks - available space for Reapers to rest while on the road, and Cargo Bay - the large trunk space used for storage. If you need more clarification on interior design, feel free to message me!

Otto White
Otto 2.jpg
Interactions: None
Mentions: Peaches
----

Otto wasn't one for goodbyes, never had been in this life or the one before this though not that it mattered much, no one to say goodbye to made the whole song and dance moot for the redhead. He leaned against their chariot and puffed on a tobacco pipe, the cherry red ember still visible even in the daylight, he had long ago stowed his own equipment besides his sidearm and knife, those both found their homes under the greatcoat he wore over his uniform. He watched all the members of the team that gathered and prepared to leave, his stormy eyes landed on Peaches, the blonde woman she was hugging as well as the older reaper with them. He didn't quite know what to make of the thoughts that filtered through the smoke he exhaled from his nostrils, the thoughts of who had someone here to come back to as well as those who didn't.

Otto turned and began to load more supplies onto the transport, the pipe holding firm between his teeth as he moved, cherry tobacco flowing around him as he moved along taking care with the things he moved as well as making sure not to get in anyone else's way as they also moved equipment.

• Bucket of Rainbows

Time was a funny thing. Well time and fate. If someone had told Esmé five years ago that she would one day find herself in the position she was now, she would have laughed at them and then asked what they had been smoking and if they had enough to share. Even a year ago the idea would have seemed like a joke. And yet here she was, crouched over a box, checking her scant few possessions for what had to be the hundredth time.

A few of her friends from training were part of the small crowd of well wishers and gawpers who had come to see them off. They had exchanged alcohol fueled, emotionally charged goodbyes last night, or more accurately this morning, but the familiar faces were nice, even if Esmé was half certain they had mostly come to see the vehicle rather than her. On that charge, she couldn't really blame them. The thing was a marvel. Esmé hadn't even realised such feats were still possible. Of course the downside of such a monolithic vehicle was the amount of stuff that could and therefore would be packed inside it. With a slight sigh, the red-head slammed the lid of her own box shut. Time to get on.

Esmé waited till both she and Otto were momentarily between tasks before she approached the man that could by a casual observer be mistaken for her brother or perhaps a young Uncle.

"Er hey, I wanted to say thankyou for yesterday." The broad acceptance of her past at the team meeting had taken Esmé by surprise and she had been lost for words at the time and had to make a slightly awkward exit. Time to right that little wrong. Pretty much everyone had been understanding, but Otto had spoken first and possibly set the tone. "Not everyone is- well yeah..."

Once again a wave of awkwardness crashed down on Esmé and she left the sentence hanging in the air as she shuffled away through the falling snow, apparently having spotted a crate that should have been loaded onto the 'bus' ten minutes ago. One day she would manage not to make an idiot of herself, but apparently it wasn't today. Internally the red-head cringed.​

Jade Wilison
Interactions: None

---------------------------

Jade after the meeting had made time to do a double check back in her room or well workspace. Going through her bag checking that she had all the necessary tools ready. Scraps she may had collected she placed to the side figuring being a bit more light would be wise for the first mission coming back just as light that well would be a different story if anything catches her fancy. She did however make sure her sketchbook was packed she glanced at the head she had been working on. Shaking her head she knew it might be better to leave it but at the same time if they had free time she might want it.

Once more checking everything she would be ready for the mission. Notes about the vehicles check, tools check, sketch pad, check, a change of clothes check, handgun, check, ammo, check. She was wearing her gloves to be ready encase the need to already fix something. Checking her side she had her pocket knife so she knew she was ready. Or ready as far she was concerned then she sighed and grabbed the small scrap metal head she had been working on. A body was her next plan to the project.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jade walked up to the Box Car vehicle she didn't know many and those she probably wouldn't mind telling goodbye were actually coming with on this mission. Her priority then was to make sure transportation was up and running and safe or well as safe as it can be. Coming closer she saw Otto and Esmé. Jade gave the two a wave then continued over vanishing on one side for she was checking the tires and making sure nothing was flat then she reappeared doing the same on the other side. It was interesting to her to see how many came to see the massive vehicle well maybe not massive but it was a sight if you didn't image creating things like that still possible everyone even her had to be more creative when it came to keeping up any form of technology.

Jade continued until she paused taking a moment to think. 'Should I join in on any talking now? Or no I might should fist figure out where the head needs to be placed and if I can keep my bag on me.' Jade tilted her head as she was lost in thought of what to do. 'They do seem in conversation. I'll come back then.' She thought as she went to enter the vehicle to do a inside inspection. She first decided it might be best to store the head she was holding in the cargo bay no matter how much Jade's mind might wonder to the head. She then realized the best way to go about this might just be to ask. If 'Peaches' or even Otto said to put it in the Cargo Bay she would do so. But for now Jade would like to try and keep it near her or at the bunks if possible. Simply for a few different reasons. One of those being if there was a time she wasn't on controls or sleeping she could work on the last bit she needed to for the head to light up in the eyes indicating on.

Finally after her moments of thinking Jade stepped inside the Box part of the vehicle to look over the controls once more. She had been training with this for a while. Soon that training would be put to the test. As far as she could see all looked in shape for how long that was certainly to be determined.​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Otto White
Otto 2.jpg
Interaction: Esme @Applo
Mention:
-----

Otto took the pipe out of his mouth and tapped out the ashes against his boot. "No need for thanks, ain't right holding someone to account for a past they are trying to keep from defining them." Otto spoke as he worked, still focused on the task at hand of loading the vehicle up. "Besides I doubt you were in a position to make a difference, I don't mean to be blunt but most people I've met in my life with power, from the lowliest two-bit warlord to every sleazy politician never give power up on a basis of their own consent yet you're here, with us, trying to make a difference." Otto paused for a brief moment as he rubbed his knee. "Plus it would be highly hypocritical of me to condemn anyone for...less then moral actions taken in their past." The rubbing helped the knee but only to mitigate the pain as it passed, he looked to the woman next to him.

"Plus, to regard you as anything other then an ally would be foolish. We're about to go on a mission of search and rescue in a hostile environment, trust is key and Esme I put as much trust in you as you will put in me, savage past or not and that will be the basis of how I see and treat you as a person." Otto again spoke as he put another piece of gear away, leaving his words to hand in the air for Esme to take in as he stood and let the cold air hit him while he took a small break from the work.​

• Nice Execution!
P E A C H E S

Interactions: @Applo | Mentions: @Dakota K5

There was something worrying about the lack of trepidation Peaches felt as her mother cried into her chest. She was cold, but not physically; her stomach remained settled, calm, that former knot that used to twist her insides up having packed up and moved shop several missions ago. When her hands came to pat the shorter blonde's hair, it was done mechanically, without thought.

Peaches never thought the missions would have taken on a dull monotony, but they had. When and how wasn't really a point of contention to her. She supposed the routine of it all had worn away at the novelty of fresh assignments. The borders changed, but the objectives didn't. The process was slow and familiar: first the morning "town hall" briefing and the momentary awkwardness of the new crew settling in with one another. Then the sleepless night, the thoughts, the planning that dogged her as the knocks came again at her door. Next came the departure, the bittersweet turning-point of every assignment. The same gates, the same camper, the same crowd. Ma always came with her tears and her octopus-tight hug, saying something sentimental or the other like -

"Gonna miss you, baby."

Hadn't Ma said those same exact words the last time too?

"I love you so much. Be safe, please."

Yeah, she'd said that as well. In the same order.

Peaches placed a light kiss on her mother's forehead, and the woman finally, finally pulled away. Ma was often confused with her older sister: at forty-seven years old, she resembled a shorter, more heavy-set version of the austere army sergeant. Her good looks lent itself to her youthful appearance. Peaches would add that it was also the woman's immaturity in particular that made her appear so young, but, well- ah, it wasn't right to talk about one's mother that way.

Besides, it felt good to have someone send her off. She wasn't all cold-blooded machinery yet; she had, at least, a loving mother to play daughter to, and Peaches managed a small smile as she bid her mother goodbye.

The smile remained as a familiar face approached from her right. A certain warmth lit up in her eyes, and she felt her arm raise in tandem with the older Reaper that saluted her evenly.

"Sergeant Sumford."

"Nunez."

He was once her lead Containment Man. Policy changes had forced him to switch to a different skill set, and the man now found himself sitting behind a desk more often than not. From what she could tell, it didn't seem to bother him in the least.

Nunez relaxed his stance and grinned, the formalities apparently ended. "Got any more kids, Mama?"

"What?"

"You know. Grunts. Trainees."

"They're all trained." Peaches shrugged. "Brass likes giving me the newbies."

"Yeah, I guess so. No duds, huh?"

"Nah."

The blonde's eyes cut his way. Nunez was reaching out; as his weathered hand closed about her right shoulder, she took the cue and leaned in just as he did, his breath tickling the hair on her neck as he brought her in for a hug.

"Change of plans," He whispered, and Peaches stiffened in his arms. "Command brief you?"

"Sure they did."

It was a distinct precedent in her long list of seamless assignments: a personnel change right before send-off. Jamie Endo was being pulled for another case. Command wouldn't say why; the abuse of calling every matter beyond her paygrade "classified" had persisted even after the pandemic, and at the risk of sounding insubordinate over that midnight phone call, Peaches had kept her mouth shut. Don't ask, don't tell.

The file for Endo's replacement had been waiting for her when she'd arrived at the gate an hour or so ago. Ashton Lovejoy. Not much had been spent poring over his file, but there would be enough time to read and study on the road.

Besides. It'd said he had experience. That was good enough for her.

"Don't give him too hard a time, ok? Kid's good," Nunez was saying, to which Peaches snorted. "What? Mira, I'm just saying..."

The older man pulled away. He smiled tiredly.

"Eyes up, mama. Come back in one piece, yeah?"

"Yeah."

And with that, she was left alone to embrace the undertaking of her new mission. Nunez trailed away, and Peaches turned back, going finally to help her squad pack up the last of the equipment. Her eyes darted over Otto and Esme's figures, and she paused, pensive.

Pvt. Richmond had made a good point yesterday. Long after her teammates had cleared the briefing room, the man had made mention of certain aspects of Peaches - how did he put it - bedside manner that could use a bit of work. She had thought she had been professional enough, but seeing Esme and Otto chat easily reminded her of her own bland acceptance of the former's past ties. Peaches knew she was a difficult woman to read. There was no need to give off the impression that she wasn't a friendly woman so early on their quest.

"Morning," The blonde murmured as she came upon the redhead. Though she did not smile, her expression was friendly enough, a distinct switch from her typical flat gaze. She patted the top of the large crate Esme was eyeing.

"Looks heavy. I'll take one end, you take the other, ok?"

• Nice Execution!
PSX_20200705_135332.jpg

Jedidiah Schmidt
the Family Man

He'd kept to himself, after that bit of tin can shooting he'd run the kid through. August wasn't bad, neither, if very green; Jed would have to keep his eye on the boy, and keep him safe. Still, he showed promise, did the kid, and that was something.

But Jed had been distracted the entire time, a status not entirely desirable when handling a gun. His mind twisted and bickered, and it refused to settle for just long enough to get this lesson finished. So when August went off to do his own business, the farmer likewise retested into his own space. He took the gun with him, a small revolver that he'd brought in from Outside, and one of the few things he trusted still. Oil and cloth were next, and before long, Jed had the pistol apart and was digging all the grime out that had accumulated in the interim.

A Savage. In their camp. How many knew? Plenty, likely; there was a reason she'd not been tossed to the wolves as soon as she'd fessed. Didn't mean she was trustworthy, though. The Savages lived up to their name. He'd seen it first hand. He'd gotten a good whiff of the smoke from their commune, and you never forget the smell of burnt flesh.

He took a second, pausing to just look at his gun. It lay in parts, scattered, but he knew where they went, how to put them together to make it work again. Go back together quick, too, and he could fix their problem just as quick. Because it was their problem, even if the leadership didn't see it. Even if they didn't want to.

Of course, he'd not been there long. Maybe he'd leave. They owed him nothing, and he owed them nothing, neither. If he left, who was to say otherwise? The constituent parts all clean, Jed began carefully fitting the parts together. But if he left, what of Lizzy? What of their son? Maybe they were already dead; probably were. The Reapers were the best way of finding out. So he had to remain.

Carefully, he stowed the newly rebuilt pistol and the cleaning supplies safely within their case. His hands then grasped the worn leather bindings of his old family Bible, and he opened it.

"Bless them that curse you," he read, "and pray for them which despitefully use you."

~~~​

Having no one to tell goodbye was its own mix of good and bad. On the one hand, there wasn't any tear-filled farewells rife with promises of keeping one's health in a future likely to be full of injury and death. On the other hand, it was dreadfully lonely. Jed looked over his belongings. Trapping supplies had been given him by them in charge, and they made a concise enough bundle no more than maybe a backpack's worth. His own supplies were similarly sparse, between his necessary banjo and Bible and the four changes of clothes he managed to fit. And the pistol, of course. That, he kept on his person, and he checked it as he joined the others.

The camper was already getting loaded up, with a small crowd of onlookers and actual crew bustling about like ants. Care for yourself first, and you can care for others after without worrying, came the mantra to his head, and he quickly boarded to stow his personal belongings in the Bunks. A short time later, he reemerged and sauntered over to the crates.

"Need help?" he asked, mumbling the question to Peaches. He didn't wait for an answer, and immediately began lifting, casting a wary glance towards Esmé as he did.

aerotis.regular.png

August always had a penchant for busying himself. It was the easiest way to keep his mind from spinning too far into the depths of despair. Training with Jed. Planning with Jamie. Reorganizing his tools, making sure his list of supplies was correct... reorganizing a third time, just to be sure. It was the only way he knew to quell his nerves. The only thing about this mission he could control were the supplies in his bag and how prepared he felt to use them... would one of his textbooks for light reading be overkill...?

But he could only keep himself occupied for so long. The time came to choose what he simply couldn't stuff in his satchel and leave the little cot he'd known for the past few months. Goodbyes were hard for August. Well, he wasn't exactly sure who goodbyes were easy for, maybe those without any empathy, but August certainly had empathy. Maybe a bit too much of it. There was a crowd brewing around the camper. Wow, that thing was big.
Pretty impressive how they could cram everyone and everything in there. So sturdy, too... it looked safe. August liked that.

The young doctor had no trouble at all standing and musing for hours over every single aspect that might befall them. He watched familiar and unfamiliar faces alike mingle, wishing goodbyes and , Luckily, someone did come to wish him a proper farewell.

Well, maybe not the most proper, because he was greeted by a solid smack to the back of the head.

"Ow." August hissed, spinning around to be greeted by a lopsided smirk, the corner of his brother's mouth just tinted up enough to show how pleased he was with the action.

"You were getting lost in your head. I could basically hear it." Remy had an entirely different build than August. He was shorter, stockier, and much more nonchalant in every step and movement. Things seemed to roll easier off of him than August, who looked close to biting his nails at every moment. His hair was unkempt and a shade lighter than his brother's, and his right eye was swathed in bandages.

Around Remy, August seemed to relax considerably, despite the thwack to the head. "Did you start doing the compresses, like I said?"

"Yeah, yeah. Swelling's gone down."

"And you're changing the bandages--"

"Yes, Doctor, I'm changing the bandages. Every night, after the compresses. Lay off. It's getting better."

August sighed, smiled, and nodded. "Good." He reached out a hand to ruffle Remy's hair, but Remy smacked it away playfully before he could even get close. Though the two shared a few similar features - the nose, the deep brown eyes - something about Remy seemed to hold a little less faith in the world, compared to August.

After a moment's squabble, Remy making sure not a single finger of August's coming near his locks, there fell an awkward silence between them. Neither really knew how to officially bid the other goodbye, so instead they stood there. Feet shuffling, fingers twiddling.

"You know, first mission isn't that bad, really." Remy offered, tone a little more somber. "I know your brain is dreaming up all the ways it can go wrong, but my first one got recalled and we went home early."

August couldn't tell if he was lying. He probably was. He hadn't heard of any Reaper getting to go home early, but he appreciated the effort. "I'll be okay." He murmured. "Stay safe."

"You too."

They embraced. It was equally as awkward as all the quiet beforehand. And then, Remy left. It was always strange how quickly he could be alone again.

August reminded himself he wasn't really alone. That camper was full of fellow Reapers, and those Reapers needed help putting it all together. He was good at that, stitching things back together. Esme, Peaches, Otto, Jed, all together hauling things on. August hovered behind them, not wanting to overstep if there were too many hands already, but clearly waiting to be asked to help.

Ashton Lovejoy
His head bobbed to the cacophony of metal in his ears as the crowd pressed in around him. He'd already said goodbye to his mother. Her anxieties wouldn't allow her to be close the throng that would inevitably take up the lot near the gate, and on such short notice... No, he could bear to see her look sad, but sad and scared? He'd settled for the door of their apartment, dressed in black, bag easily re-packed at his feet as he hugged her tight.

"Feels like you've barely been back, baby."

"I know, Mom. It won't be long before I'm home again, though. Okay?"

I THINK SOMEONE IS TRYING TO KILL ME
INFECTING MY BLOOD AND DESTROYING MY MIND

"Blood and Thunder", maybe his favorite track off Mastodon's old album. It was probably strange to see such a demure young man listen to something with so much vitriol and violence, especially someone with his history, but he found that it was actually quite cathartic. He had only started listening to them in the last year, on the advice of his therapist to find something that would rouse a heartrate in a safe environment, and it had bled into helping him concentrate more on the music than on the press of bodies to his, of rubberneckers trying to get a glimpse of the automotive behemoth meant to ferry them into the American wilderness, of curious glances.

He smiled tremulously to the group and raised a hand to them soundlessly. He knew they didn't know him yet -- with the exception of maybe August and 'Peaches', and even then he didn't know if Peaches was even aware that he was on this mission, seeing as Jamie had had to bounce for.... some reason. He didn't know. He didn't ask questions, figured he didn't need to clutter his mind with more.

WHITE!! WHALE!!
HOLY!! GRAIL!!

Shoot, where should he be? It looked like people were already loading up for the trip, so that left him putting his things up, doing inventory (which was probably already done -- Jamie was good that way), or making chitchat. He considered holing up in the Bunks with his Gameboy... His eyes tracked to August, who was looking... frankly, a little lost. A pang went through him. Yeah, he remembered that. If he recalled correctly, this was his first real trip into the outside world with the team, and he had to be jittery. He couldn't blame him -- the jitters didn't really ever go away, at least for him.

Ah, alright, alright. He was going to talk to him.

"Hey, man," Ash said, smile small but present as he turned off his MP3 player, removed his headphones fully and stood with his black duffel over his shoulder. "Um... Jamie got called out for another assignment, so they called me in last-minute. I, uh, I don't know what he packed. Could you come up and show me what's already been done? I have an idea, just I'm not really sure what the gameplan is this time around."

He found that one of the best ways to shake those jitters is just to have something to do. Feels like actually fighting the problem, rather than waiting for something to happen.

//metioned: @Kuno || interaction: @CloudyBlueDay

Doctor Do-Toomuch
with (fellow doctor do-toolittle) @Doctor Jax

"Hey, man.

August jumped slightly at the new voice. Familiar, though, and once he turned around to see the face, it clicked. Ash. A fellow nurse he'd shadowed during his training, good guy, smart head. However happy he was to see him, though, it faded quickly once he realized what that meant. No Jamie. His gut bubbled with worry; what had happened? What other mission was so urgent?

Swallowing past the lump in his throat, August tried to shake off the worry. It wouldn't do him any good, and Jamie was more than capable… all he could do was hope for his safety, and focus on his own.

"Hey, uh, hey!" August cleared his throat and put on a smile, turning away from the rest of the group who were loading things onto the camper to properly greet Ash. "Oh course, happy to have you aboard. Maybe you could tell me about what h-happened to Jamie, but let me just grab the list…" August reached into his satchel, which already seemed overstuffed, but was made clear but the abundance of papers that flew out upon opening it up.

August paled and immediately dropped to his knees, scurrying to pick everything up. There were lists upon lists upon lists, some of it written with impressively gorgeous cursive handwriting, and some absolutely scrawled into oblivion with what might have been hieroglyphics. "Sh-shoot, sorry. T-these are all my notes, I-I kind of need them to catch you up to speed--" A sheet drifted behind Ash. "Ahg! can you grab that?"

Ash was quick to begin grabbing hold of the paper that began to fly out of the bag. His expression remained neutral as he looked over the expressive scribbles in their flowing, looping script, and it became evident what he was trying to do. Ah-- he was trying to account for every little thing.

"Sure, sure! Here, it's no problem. Um… you're coming in prepared," he chuckled, as he gave him the sheaf of notes he'd managed to get. "If I'm honest, I usually just wing it."

The term wing it seemed to process like a computer error for August. He'd swept up most of the runaway notes and with Ash's help his notepad was reassembled, which only left him to put it in order. August thumbed through the notes nervously. "Uh, really? I mean, uh, more power to you. I'm sort of… d… detailed." He was half expecting Remy to appear out of the shadows and smack him over the head again. "Jamie sort of left it up to me to go over the supplies and what we needed to bring, s-so I guess it's good he… he's the one who got switched out. Do you, uh, know anything about that?"

Ash straightened up the rest of the notes he had, handing them over. And he thought that he was nervous, but experience definitely lent a confidence that was hard to fake any other way. There was still that thrum of unease, but it was manageable. August, on the other hand…

"He's fine, just ended up being switched out last minute. I wish I knew man, I really do… I was called in for this at 2 AM," he said with a soft laugh, standing his full six foot two. "So I'm just as out of the loop as you are. But it looks like you really have it handled. Heh… my first time around, I forgot the entire box of gauze pads. I ended up using every t-shirt I had for bandages. I'm glad you're the one doing the inventory. You've obviously been thorough."

He gestured to the notes in August's hand.

August gave pause, jaw tightening with disdain. T-shirts? Gauze -- gauze was the one most basic item any nurse could bring! How could anyone forget that?! And to replace it with used t-shirts, that was so unsanitary! That could easily have gotten wounds infected! A shiver went down his spine at the thought of all the ways that could go wrong, and how with just a few simple checkovers it could have been avoided…

"...Yes. I'm thorough. I-I think it better to be over prepared than under. I will have more than enough gauze for the entire squadron." He mumbled.

"Good to know. Trust me when I say I never forgot the boxes of gauze again," Ash stated, pulling a box of it out of his bag with a shake and a wince. "Here-- after you. Could you walk me through where everything is? I know every person's got a different way they organize."

"I can't imagine you would," August said with an attempt at a laugh to ease his own tension, but it just came off as awkwardly nervous. He did seem to relax slightly at the sight of the gauze box, knowing exactly where he had stashed three within the camper. "Right, right. Yeah, over here." Wiggling past the crowd loading things onto the Camper, August stepped inside.

"So I keep kind of a table of contents, but uh, all the main stuff should be over in the med bay corner, obviously." August slipped into a bit of a rhythm as he started to pull boxes out of their place. Each thing was very meticulously organized, grouped together in the most logical (in August's mind, anyway) way possible.

Ash watched him as he seemed to finally slip into a more comfortable role. His eyes were attentive, his head nodding along as they went through the list of things packed. It went a bit overboard if he was honest, as many of these things were not going to be that useful (catheters especially weren't going to see too much use) but he was happy to see they had extra insulin in the drug fridge, along with extra packages of IV bags, saline, and mats.

"Wow, you are really organized. This makes it really easy to find. Only suggestion I have is maybe putting any kind of syringe back behind these boxes here. I know that makes them a little harder to get to, but people will steal them otherwise if they're in arm's reach, and they are very sneaky," Ash praised, giving just a kernel of practical instruction. "We had a whole box smuggled out of here once and we're still scratching our heads over that one."

August blinked at Ash incredulously. "A whole box…" Was he saying that a fellow Reaper had snatched them? August's mouth was pulled into a small frown of disappointment. It was always a shame to hear about those struggling with such tendencies and addictions… he couldn't imagine how hard it was, especially in times like these, to resort to stealing from their own squad? Unless of course he meant Savages, or Anarchists, and… August just didn't really want to get into that right now.

"That's… unfortunate. I'll move the syringes farther back." August huffed, making a gesture of repositioning the box so Ash knew where it would be. "But, aside from that, this is the majority of the supplies. Since you watched everything fly out of my bag, you're aware I try to keep an inventory, so... " August scratched the back of his head. "Whatever gets used, let me know and I'll make a note."

"Absolutely," Ash reassured, nodding. "By this point, I'm definitely used to keeping track of supplies. I'll let you know the minute I think we're running low on things. This looks great. And, um… I'm glad you're along for the ride, man."

Ash smiled at the doctor with a nod.

"I think you probably have it handled so I'm going to go ahead and put my stuff away. Good thing I packed light…"

"Cool." August hummed lightly, breath coming out in a gentle exhale. He paused slightly, a hint of a smile flickering on his face. He was surprised that after all that Ash was still glad to have him along. He gave a nod of his own, adjusting the strap of his satchel.

"Me too." His smile broadened slightly. "Yeah, I might have it… a bit over handled. All for the best, I guess. I'll see you out… or… in there."

With such a capable team, how much could really go wrong?

"Well, I guess you two got that." Esmé smiled apologetically at Jed and Peaches. It had taken some fast footwork for her not to collide with the bespectacled catcher. She hadn't even seen the man coming. Peaches must have caught her attention at just the moment she would have seen Jed coming for the box. "Looks heavy so like, I owe you one I think."

Spinning on the spot, green eyes scanned the snow covered area for the next thing to be loaded onto the camper. Instead, they landed on Povetta; another person the Esmé felt she needed to make up a bit of lost ground with. She wasn't exactly sure of the order of seniority after Peaches and then Otto but she was pretty sure that the Texan out ranked her, even if just unofficially. They certainly did in experience. Regardless, Po was probably someone she should try to impress and Esmé hovered nearby until she was certain the blonde wasn't in the middle of something.

"Hey, um, I hope you slept well last night? I meant to ask you something yesterday, but it kinda got away from me a bit." Sidling up next to Po, Esmé tucked her hands under her armpits against the cold. "I was just wondering if there was like, anything I should know or that you'd prefer I do. Training is one thing and all, and living out there you learn a bit, but mostly it was just if you see an infected person don't let 'em touch ya and ya know…"

Silently a finger was drawn across the red-heads neck.

Po had drifted away from most of the group, but had been packing smaller things into the camper all the same. After a night of restless sleep, she figured the best thing she could accomplish without a nigh infinite supply of coffee was collecting her thoughts within her head. So, when the ginger-headed containment woman approached her, Povetta likely seemed a bit absent-minded.

"Ah-" she stated in a neutral tone, before clearing her throat and quickening her pace to deliver two small cases to the door of the camper. "You-- Esme, yes?" She seemed to come to after setting down the small parcels and struggled to remove a glove before extending it out towards the redhead.

Po remembered her. Remembered she was the other containment unit, but more so, remembered that she was an outlier from the rest of the group. Esme was a savage. 'Was' hopefully being the key word there.

A small smile pulled at the Texans lips before she moved her hands into the pocket of the long, black coat she'd donned, not quite willing to put up with the cold, "Fire." She stated bluntly, thick with her southern drawl. "Nothing will touch you, or our fellows if you set it on fire long enough, darling."

"Burn everything. I can do that. If it's gonna be like this the whole time, you're literally gonna have to stop me." Grinning slightly, Esmé stamped her feet against the floor a few times to try and ward off the tingling in her toes and make her point. "Weather like this always makes me miss smores and by the way, marshmallows, they last fooooooorever. This one time, we was searching through this basement for supplies and I found a bag. They musta been like nearly half as old as me, but they was still sealed. Anyway, no-one else wanted them, so I snagged and ya know tried a lil bit and they were fine; bit chewy maybe. I scarfed like half bag by myself. The rest me and my d-"

The sentence died in the air as the warning bells inside Esmé's head got the message through for her to shut up more or less in time. Green eyes flitted to the grey sky behind Povetta's head for a moment, the red-head squirmed on the spot slightly as she forced herself to mentally change track. He was in the past, and she had to make sure it stayed that way.

"Errr, sorry I'm getting distracted. I get kinda chatty when I'm nervous, anyway, um, yeah so fire. Anything else? Like how'd you mark a building as clear, cos I'm good to go with what you do. You're the boss."

As Esme had begun to ramble a bit, Povetta couldn't help but let her small smile widen. It reminded her of times that were also in the past, and might've let her own mind carry away, had the red not so quickly gotten back on track.

A hand pulled from the warmth of her pocket and pushed a handful of nest-like hair from her face before Po pulled a face. To be honest, as long as she'd been with the Reapers, 'marked as clear' often just meant the area had been scorched to the ground. Nothing more clear than blatant arson.

"A mark is just non-verbal communication, sugar." Po's accent became more strong as a thought blossomed into an idea within her mind. The former mother in her wanted to put Esme at ease, and perhaps calm that nervousness. "You can call me boss, if you like, but I see you as a partner! Let's make it something unique!"

"er , cool, ummm we could... I dunno errmm, stick like a kitchen knife in the door or something. Show people we mean business. Reapers were here kinda thing. Guess that only really tells us that though, ooh, we could kick doors off their hinges, I watched so many cop films growing up, always wanted to try that, dunno why I haven't already actually, and it would show like a place is open and fine to go in and stuff. Could be kinda a pain in the tits though to do..."

This time as Esmé's sentences came to an unexpected stop, it was pretty clear from the way her lips were still twitching that it had carried on in her head and been followed by several more in a similar vein. After a few more seconds of silence than was entirely decent for someone taking a part in a conversation, she seemed to remember herself and her gaze snapped to the supplies Povetta had been working on loading.

"We got some time to work on it. Do you want any help with this stuff? Jed did me a solid, so I'm open if there's anything you want me to help with."

Povettea was sure they'd figure some fun way to communicate, but for now-- "I'd very much appreciate the help!" Po spoke as she lifted one side of a much larger crate, before giving Esme a friendly half smile in silent expectance. The former savage didn't really bother Po. In her experience, sure, savages were better off being burnt alive with the infected, but unlike the infected, they were redeemable.​

A collaboration with @Azurewinter

CATCHING ON

Collab with/Title credit to: @Red Thunder

There wasn't much to analyze about the look lingering on the squad leader's face.

Dull, blasé woman that she was, Peaches' face tended to vary between two minutely different expressions: one was her standard, droll facade, which felt trapped somewhere between a pout and a grimace. The other was defined by the upper half of her face: her eyes, once deadened, sparked with life, and her brows raised in a half-hearted manner befitting someone of her stoic countenance.

It was the latter look that greeted Jedidiah upon his unexpected intrusion into Peaches' friendly efforts. Before the woman could intercede on Esmé's behalf, her containment op had taken the unspoken cue and left. Peaches watched the redhead, blinking slowly.

Looked like a bud needed nipping.

"I had help. I'd asked Esmé to help me," Peaches replied dryly, and her eyes cut to Jedidiah. "But thanks. Jedidiah, right?"

Her hand gripped under the opposite side of the crate, and she began to pull up.

"Yes, ma'am."

Jed followed her lead, quietly shifting the box about from the ground to its place in the camper until it was secured. Just as silently, he returned to the pile, loading his arms once more.

"Didn't tell her to leave. Only figured you two could- use another pair of hands." He shot their leader a long-suffering glance before looking back to his path and taking a deep breath. "Wasn't my intention she should leave."

Peaches shrugged lightly, shifting the boxes laying in her arms.

"Some spook easy," She stated. She paused as she stooped to clutch yet another bag in her fingers, and she set her load onto the camper with a huff.

Without turning to face him, she added, "This is your first mission...Jed? Can I call you that?"

"Call me what you like. Just not late for supper."

The response was quick, as if instinctual rather than considered. But he didn't smile.

"And yes'm: first mission. Only got here not too long ago. Figured we gotta pull our weight somehow, and maybe this is the best way for me to."

Jed pushed the crate into the camper, muscling it into a free space. The muffled tone of wood dragged on metal bit into the ears of those nearby, a less-offensive version of the infamous nails on chalkboard. He paused at the door to the camper, his face tight in consideration, before he hopped down. As he bent down for yet another box, he'd lost the expression.

"Big question, I guess: how in over my head am I?"

"You want the long or short answer?"

It was enough to stop the squad leader entirely. Instead of picking up the next crate, she instead sat upon the stack, shoulders stiff and arms crossing slowly as she stared down at her subordinate.

Apparently her question was rhetorical. She took her sweet time mulling over her words, though she dallied no longer than fifteen seconds or so.

"Training...gives you the basics," Peaches began slowly, "You learn the routines. The steps to take. Whether or not you remember them when we're going through the wringer is...debatable."

Again there was that nonchalant shrug of her shoulders, though her expression was somber.

"I'm not going to lie to you. It will get ugly at times. Lots of people outside the city don't take to us kindly, and we most likely will encounter some hostilities on the way. I'm hoping they're able to be reasoned with and we skip right through to Naperville, but let's get real: civility is dead out there, and we might have to break a few skulls to get the job done.

No one's going to help us out there. We watch each other's back, period. 'Cause when shit hits the fan, we're all we've got, 'kay? Don't matter what we were before to each other. Don't matter if we even like each other. Just gotta be friendly while the mission's on."

What might've been a reprimand was softened by the soft crook of her lips.

It wasn't quite a smile. But it was getting there - slowly but surely.

"That's why I'm glad you're here," Peaches continued evenly, detaching from her makeshift seat. She patted the last of the large crates, gesturing with her head for Jed to come help her. "You seem like a nice, down to earth, uh, people person. I ain't much of that, so you can help me bring the squad together, 'kay?"

Jed hopped down, landing with a grunt that belied his solid frame. He'd remained quiet as Peaches had given her instruction, though maybe pep talk was a better label. As her face softened in an almost-smile, his had taken the edge of cynicism, and he hadn't immediately replied. Instead, he hurried over to help in that meandering kind of hurry in which country folk go about everything, and slipping worn fingers beneath the crate's underside, he lifted it with Peaches on her cue.

"Yeah," he said, moving the box into the camper and climbing in himself to secure it. Brow furrowed, he went about the short task, apparently absorbed in it. Finished, Jed turned back and once more dropped back to earth.

"I done my share of … roughin' it, contrary to the ruffians what roamed about. But I ain't never done it 'a purpose." He drew the large cargo for closed; it shut with a deep click. "I hope they're as agreeable as all that.

"As to us Reapers, well." Finally, he smiled crookedly, wryly, through the whiskers on his lip. "Ain't so ignernt as to assume we'll all come back alive. But it won't be 'cause I gave up. I'll do my job, sergeant. Don't fear that."

"No. That's not right."

The squad leader's face had returned to its natural, dull placidity, and she eyed Jedidiah with a small frown.

"'S not ignorant. I'm gonna get everyone back here alive. That's my job, kay? And I ain't failed yet. So don't you worry."

There the faux smile made a reappearance, and she went and gave Jedidiah a rough pat on the shoulder.

She got a grunt in response. His smile was gone, replaced with nothing. Maybe Peaches had been successful thus far with keeping everyone; Jed wouldn't know. The world had always been a dangerous place, certainly, but it had become significantly moreso with the introduction of Armis. People died, through violence or disease, far easier than years previous, and Jed was a somber enough man to know it.

For now, however, he would support her.

"Sure. And I'll help yah to not hafta worry." He sniffed. "About anyone. However I can."

LEXINGTON & CO.

Mission Report: 10/20/21 | 09:50 | The Gates

In good time, what preparations were needed to embark on the road were completed. Willing hands had filled the Cargo Bay with enough supplies to last them for many weeks, and Triage and The Box had been found to be suitably stocked and in well maintained order. Should one look, they would find a stack of territory cards left atop the Box's dashboard, as well as a generous gift of chewing gum - courtesy of the camper's previous mechanic. Whatever other trinkets or snacks were to be provided by the squad members themselves.

The call to board came at ten minutes to ten. One by one, each teammate stepped up into the camper and were left to disperse down the tight, barely three foot wide corridor to their preferred section. Peaches was the last to board, and she settled with a slight huff into the seat next to Jade in the Box.

"Ready, chickadee?" She asked lightly, and then, without waiting for an answer, "'Course you are. Let's get it moving."

At Jade's control, the camper came to life. The lights on the ceiling panels flickered on, and processed air flushed throughout the compartments. The roar of the engine was met with a few whoops from the remaining bystanders. In tandem with the camper, the city gates opened wide to expose the road ahead. A hard press of the gas, and the wheels churned forward, pushing onwards off the smooth surface of the loading dock and onto the main street. Through the wide front windshield of the Box and the side slants of glass in the Bunks, the last of the city could be whirring past. Soon the gates closed behind, and with it, any thoughts of turning back were gone.

And so, they were off.

---------------

Central Illinois wasn't much to look at even before everything went to hell.

It was a prairie landscape. An endless sea of tall, snow-coated grass swayed gently in the wind as the hulking camper roared past. The odd tree or so dotted the horizon, and on and on the rural highway seemed to stretch, a concrete ribbon laid across a quickly whitening earth. Every once in a while they would pass a farmhouse; some abandoned, and others settled with civilians deemed non-threatening by Reapers who'd since cleared the area. A farmer and his wife stared as the mechanical beast rumbled past. Another lone man in the fields raised his hand in salute as they passed, and Peaches responded in like, nodding as she did.

They called him the Watchman. He was the last outpost on the edge of Reaper land, and as his figure receded away behind them, so, too, did the semblance of having allies in their corners.

Enemy territory was all around them now. The Badlands beckoned.

More buildings cropped up the longer they went along on the road. By the hour and fifteen mark, the disparity between claimed and unclaimed territory was made clear. The civil strife at the hands of anarchists had wrought much of America's towns to destruction. Evidence of chaotic unrest was signaled at the edge of one such town - former Lexington, according to the map - by the sight of a tractor unit turned right onto its side. Its compartment had been broken into and left open, and withered cardboard boxes could be seen tossed about and scattered across the road. In Lexington's downtown area, the shadows of violence escalated. Few stores had intact glass fronts. Windows on all sides remained punched out and broken, and an array of miscellaneous items lay scattered about the streets. An abandoned car was left halfway through a Marshall's front, a shower of glass littering the debris and ravaged clothes thrown about. More cars began to crowd the streets, apparently hastily abandoned by their owners. A few vehicles still held their owners; Peaches' eyes flitted over the decomposed corpses before glancing away, her expression as still as the air around them.

Squad Four's path had taken them through the town and onto the I-55, one of the few - and the main - remaining expressways still accessible to them. The signs guiding one towards it had since been burned; only the metal staff remained, and it looked as if their predecessors had fashioned their own makeshift marker to the top of it...if you could call it that. Peaches shook her head at the purple and orange troll doll taped to the top of the staff but said nothing, instead directing Jade to bring the camper to a stop.

The woman was not without mercy. The squad would be spending God knows how long zipping down the expressway, and she knew things were congested onboard the camper. Like a sensible parent, she figured a pit stop was a kindness in itself.

Outside had warmed some. The eerie quiet pervaded every corner of Lexington, and Peaches' steps sounded loud as she jumped out onto the hard, broken concrete, her squad members hopefully close behind. Around them, the town's scant storied buildings hung tall like brick skeletons, empty and desolate. The washed out frame of an Ikea loomed in the distance, and a parking garage was attached at its side.

"We'll stretch our legs for a bit," Peaches mused once she had everyone off the camper, and her eyes flitted about them. Her sniper rifle peeked out from behind her back as she turned her head, glancing towards the way they'd come. "Eat, walk a bit, take a piss - stay within a two block radius though. If you're aiming to explore, take a buddy. Just because the town looks abandoned don't mean it is."

She jerked her head in the direction of I-55.

"I'm gonna take a look ahead and make sure the road's not obstructed. Everyone keep your comms on and meet back here in...let's say an hour, 'kay?"

GM NOTE:

Welcome to Lexington, IL. For the moment, all is quiet. Take this break to do what you like: relax a spell, eat, or take a buddy to go exploring! Maybe you'll find something special around these buildings. There may even be something in that Ikea...

Other landmarks can be provided upon request. If you're a stickler for the mission, there's also the option to tag along with Peaches. But it's up to you! Have fun :^)

Last edited:
Otto White
Otto 2.jpg
Interaction: Peaches
Mention:

----
Otto was already checking his gear after getting off the small barge they called transport. His M4 was slung across his chest, the strap keeping it suspended while he pulled his Glock 19 from its holster and preformed a press check, of all his weapons his pistol was always loaded and chambered as much from ingrained training as it was just perpetual habit to keep a loaded firearm on him in these uncertain times. Next came his rifle as the pistol remerged with its holster, a bead drawn through his ACOG sight on a distant tree, the solar-powered optic blooming to life in his eye painting the distant tree with a red chevron sight and finding that all in order Otto flipped the rifle's safety off.
Otto looked out as the others piled off the Camper Otto looked out again onto their surroundings, this was much like home for him, he had been raised in the neighboring state of Missouri for most his early life and a great sense of nostalgia filled his heart and head. It brought back thoughts from his early life about friends and opportunities that vanished as quickly as they came, not much use for those thoughts now not in this world as it is currently.

Otto listened to Peaches instruct everyone to take a small break of sorts as she scouted ahead and while Otto knew Peaches could take care of herself he wasn't about to let squad lead go off on her own.

"Hold up their boss lady, I'm coming with. It'd be a bad example to tell everyone to not go off alone then go off alone yourself wouldn't you say." There wasn't much room for Otto to be told no in the situation but he figured Peaches for a sensible woman who'd not turn down security since her chosen task would be better accomplished with two sets of eyes rather than just her own.​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kuno and Applo
P E A C H E S

It was as if Peaches hadn't heard Otto at all.

From her posture alone, the squad leader did not seem overly concerned about potential dangers. Her rifle remained strapped to her back instead of in her hands. Her stance was loose and relaxed, and even as Otto spoke, the blonde woman took her time pulling out an apple that had been stowed away in her pocket. With her pinky nail, she gouged out a small bit of brown mottling its skin.

This occupied her focus for a moment longer, until - her small aesthetics job completed - her eyes rose to meet her second in command.

"Is that right?" Peaches finally replied.

Neither contempt nor anger lied in her voice. Instead, the unmistaken note of mirth was evident, despite the dourness of her face. Otto's squad leader was amused, but by what, only the enigmatic woman herself could answer. Her eyes glanced about the unit as she sat on the idea a bit longer, thinking.

Finally, she made a vague gesture with her hand.

"Got a fair point there. Highway's bout a klick down the road. I ain't stopping you from tagging along, but I want you to think about this too: if something happens back here- say baby girl-" Peaches jerked her head at Ringo, apparently referring to her "- gets in a scrap and needs immediate assistance, where's the instant back up? Not telling you what's the best way to go about this. I'm juuuust saying."

She didn't wait for Otto to make his mind up then and there. With a noisy bite of her apple, she turned about, meandering away from the group.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Otto White
Otto 2.jpg
Interaction: Peaches
Mention:
---

Otto's long strides took him near Peaches' own steps fairly quickly.

"The same could be asked of you, Captain." Otto's words were the same as any second in command.

"There isn't any best way, your order was to take a partner if we went off from the camper and I doubt anyone else is ready to on a scout mission right after the long time sitting still, so here I am." Otto didn't know Peaches other than her former rank and that she was his current commander, she could be the terminator for all he knew but until Otto saw Peaches running around with a metal arm he was gonna assume she was mortal like the rest of them.

"Also if you or I get injured the rest of the team will need to operate on their own to either complete the mission or get back to home base, this is the practice in case that happens."

Otto's words flowed as his head stayed on a swivel even still close to camp, things were never safe here in these badlands.

Reactions: Kuno
Jade Wilson

After the machine comes to life and the start on the road until the group's first rest break, upon Peaches' orders Jade remained focused. Until they all officially stopped and the option to explore after any necessities was offered. Immediately Jade sprung from her seat in excitement. "Anyone interested in tagging along with me to go collects some scraps? They can prove quite useful for building new tools or equipment! Or well..." Pausing a moment looking around finally taking notice Peaches and Otto were the first ones gone. Something about looking ahead if she recalled hearing Peaches. Quickly she did a check to make sure her comm was on. Then looked back at everyone left that she was speaking to. No one, in particular, had to answer her. She just needed a buddy to tag along with her. "Well, I've been working on a side project. Scraps that people consider no good you'll be surprised. I'm after finding something to work on the second structure." She announced. "But if there's something else everyone is up to guess I could fiddle with what I have now." Jade quickly added not wanting anyone to feel forced to go with her scrap collecting. She could at the least keep close by to the vehicle.​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kuno and Applo
Split the Party
a collab between @rissa, @Doctor Jax, and @Red Thunder

Ringo stood off to the side of the camper, out of the way of others. Her fingertips touched her toes and as she stretched, glanced at the world from an alien perspective, finding it just as ugly and in disarray as ever. She stood, arms rising over her head as she watched Peaches and their second-in command hurry off towards I-55. Though perhaps hurry wasn't exactly the right word. Ringo finished stretching, somewhat hating herself that she couldn't break the habit Noah had conditioned her into.

Her head did a couple swivels as the rest of her team unloaded and after checking her comms and backstrap to make sure her rifles were still secured, approached the Catcher and the medic that didn't look like Remy. This was her last shadowing mission as a trainee, so she figured she'd best get started.

"Jed, right?" She then looked over at the medic who had replaced Jaime, "Names Ringo if you didn't know. It's nice to meet ya." Ringo glanced around the camper, trying not to let the comfortability show in her face as she rocked on her heels. "You guys wanna keep watch or maybe take a stroll…?"

"Hm?"

The ride had not been pleasant for Jedidiah. For a long while, longer than he could remember, he'd traveled by foot only. The shift to the mechanical mode was something of an adjustment. He had sought out the doctor for some kind of motion sickness medication, and was currently propped against the wall of the camper.

"Ugh..." He glanced up at the sound of his name, smiling as best he could manage. "Yeah, s'my name. Don't wear it out.

"A stroll, huh? Might do me good." He looked to the side. "What you think, doc?"

Ash looked up, removing a headphone from his ear. He had figured he'd stay aboard the camper, as he'd been this way before. When he'd been younger, his parents took him and his siblings into Lexington.

But maybe it was good to get a stroll. His mother was constantly telling him to stretch his legs on these trips to keep off clots. He gave a small smile, looking between the two. He wasn't familiar with Ringo, but...

"Sure! I don't see why not. I'm Ash, by the way. I don't think we've met."

"Don't think we have either," Ringo said with a reserved smile, reaching out to shake the medic's hand.

She glanced between Catcher and Medic and nodded towards the Ikea building that was missing it's E and took a couple steps towards it. "Wanna check it out?"

The medic looked at the building in question. There was a nervous drum of his fingers against an arm... but it had been a really long time since he'd been to Lexington. It hit him what that was, and a smile crossed his face for a moment.

"Ikea! Man-- been a while since I saw one of those," he said with relish. He and his siblings, running around, while his parents looked about at the furniture. Swedish meatballs, too... It was a shame what it looked like now, but maybe they might find something interesting in there now.

"Ever been to an Ikea?"

"When I was younger," Ringo replied just above a whisper, memories of her childhood swimming to the forefront of her mind before she stomped them back down. "What about you, Jed?"

"Sure," came the wheezed reply, though increasingly less the longer he was in solid ground. "No tellin' what we might see'n there. Somethin' worthwhile to bring, maybe."

Jed patted himself down. There, in a holster against his chest, was his revolver. Beside him sat his pack, stocked with trapper's gear and a sturdy, battle worn aluminum baseball bat. Savages could be found any place, and if he came across one long before he expected to, at the it would pay to be prepared.

"You's ready?" he asked, shifting his load onto his shoulders.

There was some anxiety at that question, a spike of discomfort. Really, he should stay with the camper, keep an eye on supplies, see if there was anything more he could do here, but... Well, there might be survivors in that Ikea as well, camped out on all the sofas, waiting on help.

He used that mental image to banish the anxiety. Turn it into something else, something funny. A bunch of ragtag, dirty survivors, lounging on Ikea couches.

"No time like the present," he said, starting towards the building.

"And no present like the things we migh' find inside."

With a smile and a wink to Ringo, Jed followed, bat resting on his shoulder, relaxed but ready.

Ringo let out a hesitant smile and started forward as well, flanking the Catcher and Medic. She unstrapped her bolt-action with one deft move and slid it into her grasp, hesitanting briefly as she glanced towards the camper and then I-55. The most adept fighters of the squad had left, should she instead stay and watch over the camper?

Esme and Poe look well enough to take care of things...

Ringo swallowed, spared one last glance and then lengthened her stride.

"Anything y'all have your eye on?" Ringo asked in regards to the Ikea they were growing close to. "I wouldn't mind findin' a nice new pillow. Er, well, new to me."

"No, I'll keep my eye off things. Keeping it on them might hurt."

Chuckling to himself, the Catcher gave Ringo a pat on the shoulder. The kid looked nervous. Both of them did, he noted, as he glanced at Ash. Did that-? Hell, best he could figure, Jed was the most experienced one of the group, as regards straight survival, anyway.

"New pillah'd be nice, certain. Me, I hope to scavenge what I can for traps'n such. Anything I can use for triggers, hooks, 'n whatnot.

"'Bout you, Doc?" he said, casting the question ahead to Ash.

"That's actually a good question," Ash said, suddenly feeling a bit "underdressed" without a weapon. Simply, he didn't care for them, especially seeing as he didn't know what he'd do if he even had one...

"Honestly? A camping chair," he chuckled to himself, hands in his pockets, a small rucksack on his back with their first aid kit. "I'm tired of sitting on a sit-upon I made in sixth grade."

The darned thing was only tablecloths sewn together around a towel cushion, but it just wouldn't die and give him a reason to buy something else. Sixth-grade Ash apparently had amazing sewing skills...

The building loomed ahead of them, an edifice to an older, kinder world. Funny— they were talking like they were heading in for a simple shopping trip. Hopefully that's all this turned out to be...

• Nice Execution!
  • Spicy
Reactions: rissa and Kuno