Pixie Hollow Dystopia

• Thread starter Synthetic Seraph
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the butterflies taking off at Kieara's directives, their passage through the rainbow ate holes in the colored bands the exact shape of their passing bodies like a moist fingertip dabbing up spilled sugar. The flock made the majestic rainbow look like tattered tissue paper or crumbling spiderweb, but every single winged creature emerged painted with the gem-like light part of their bodies, all different depending on the arc's angle and their pose as they'd crossed.

Calamus gave a smug salute to the light faerie who drew down the teetering remains and dispersed the colored light into the atmosphere. SO worth it for the new babe....

Kieara frowned when she saw what happened to the rainbow, but she smiled brightly when she saw the grey butterflies painted rainbow. "How pretty!" She said as she looked at them. How unique it would be to have a butterfly painted like this instead of the others. She wondered why they didn't do that. It seemed to be a bit easier than painting all those designs, and they were gorgeous. She looked to Calamus and smiled.

Calamus returned that smile proudly, and his wings beat faster in a blur that lifted him higher in the air almost in a backflip except he refused to upend himself or get that demonstrative.

The pair of girls saw the new faerie's reaction, put two and two together when it came to Cal's insistent behavior, and gave each other a look. The water faerie used an excuse to talk to Cal about some made-up water critter problem while the light talent hurried over to Kieara. Cal caught on from the beginning and buzzed right over to intervene but not before the light faerie got a good warning in. "You know he got a wind faerie killed today? And it's creepy the way he empathizes with predators, brrr!"

Kieara spoke. "Nonsense. He did no such thing." She spoke to them. She refused to believe it. She wouldn't believe it. That fairy that they froze was just incapacitated. Right? She thought to the fairys house they'd went to. "He didn't do anything on purpose." Kieara said showing she knew it was an accident whatever had happened.

Cal stormed between the wind girl and 'his' Kieara. "If I make you shudder that much, keep your nose out of my business," he sneered to drive the air faerie away.

Just then a trumpet blew, a high piping instrument formed by a flower petal ring and hollow mouthpiece. Cal dropped the argument and listened with head cocked as if the notes and toots were some sort of signal. "Animal faeries summoned to the Spring Meadow, all others may attend," he explained to his precious dual-talent girl. He bit his lower lip in thought. "That's only the next field over. If it's something that involves volunteers from other categories, probably interesting."

Kieara looked to Cal as he went between them. She took his arm to try to calm him. "Cal..." she said quietly. She heard the horn and was confused. She didn't know what it meant. When he explained she listened and spoke. "What're we doing?" she said curiously.

Calamus took a deep breath, all grudges with the interfering girls forgotten - for now - at a lord's summons. "It's some kind of announcement. They usually gather us for certain reasons like new arrivals. But since it's in Spring, and involves us animal faeries but other types can choose to participate... huh. You've got me." He shrugged his lean shoulders and scooped his arm in a "let's head this way" motion, then fanned his wings harder to begin the short trip.
~
Past a belt of trees, many faeries including plenty Kieara had already seen from her arrival at the Pixie Dust Tree had already gathered in a bright open meadow. Queen Clarion floated above the assembly along with a lord and lady distinguished by more adult faces and height as tall as the queen. Cal elbowed Kieara with hushed tone, "You know how some people like to be independent and say "You're not the boss of me"? Yeah... anyone who looks like that, actually IS."

Kieara flitted her wings and after a bit of a slow start caught up. She was still trying to earn her wings and tame them into her control. She flew with him and soon landed by him stumbling a little in the new field. She smiled as she waited excitedly for their new challenge. She looked over when he spoke and spoke back whispering. "So anyone who looks like a boss is?" She said.

With a chuckle Cal translated his mashed-up statement. "Those types," he pointed, "Are definitely in charge and can definitely do a lot worse to you than the fight you helped me with today. You're going to have assignments helping animals along in their life cycle - or maybe doing winter frost things? - but yeah, any of them can order us about for any reason. Don't even think about not jumping to obey."

Then as a few more fliers arrived and settled to a place on flower buds and grass stems one of the lords raised his arms for attention and lowered them for silence.
"As most of you know we are not engaged to fly to the Mainland to convert it to winter for some weeks. However I'd like a squadron to carry over a few litters of lynxes early." A murmur ran through the more impulsive animal faeries.
"That still doesn't explain why other talents are welcome, let alone why the Mainland should get more lynxes early," Cal muttered to Kiera with his brow furrowed.
The lord continued. "Several mating pairs on the mainland have been decimated, and I want you to attempt to match and socialize the young ones up with widows and widowers or this young generation will only have their brothers and sisters to pair with." Cal looked sickened at that dreary outcome.
"And other talents?" someone piped up.
Queen Clarion answered this herself, her gentle voice making the news all the more dreadful. "Poachers are the cause of so many adult lynxes and mating pairs getting wiped out. I'm calling for volunteers to save this species and prevent these hunters from claiming any more lives."
Calamus rocketed up from his perch in an instant, spirit blazing, so passionate about the feline predator that he'd forgotten all concerns Kieara might have or even the chance she might wish to stay behind.

Kieara flew up beside him. She wanted to help. Even though she was a little scared to go to the mainland. She was a niave and timid soul. She wasn't outgoing and bright and brilliant like other fairies but she didn't want to be left alone either. She flitted next to Cal having volunteered mainly because he had.

Cal spun in surprise to find himself joined but immediately afterwards cheered Kieara on for her bravery.

Others rose as well. Another animal faerie who was so softhearted she couldn't bear for the felines to suffer - Fawn. A tinker faerie eager for any reason to cross into the Mainland once again and especially get close to humans - Tinkerbell. Queen Clarion thanked them all for their contributions.

(( If you're not happy about adding canon characters I'll edit them out. I can just picture them meeting up at camp at the end of each day to provide discussions and opportunity for growth, not involved the whole time, maybe.
Otherwise, any others you'd like to add? I can't picture the others helping, certainly not the gentle garden Rosetta or water Silvermist. But if you want to add the whole gang, they could just as easily join to make sure Tinkerbell and Faun are safe and there we go. ))

((Oh it's fine and I think that those two work))

she smiled at Cal but it was half hearted and nervous. She wrung her hands as she floated with him in the air. She didn't know if she could handle something like this so soon and Cal was her guide so she had to go with him.

Queen Clarion spoke further, hoping for more recruits, but none came. The lord gathered the four volunteers for a briefing and dismissed the rest back to their talent duties. In the flurry of wings and glitter that turned the Spring Meadow into a sparkle of faeries, Tinkerbell and Fawn met up with Cal and Kieara on the way to the lord.

Tinkerbell backflipped excitedly. "Humans! We're allowed to investigate humans up close! Hey - you're the new arrival. Aren't you thrilled? You get to go to the Mainland right away! I had to wait so long, and I almost wasn't allowed. Tinker faeries. Who knew?"

Fawn frowned sympathetically while giving Kieara the once-over. "I don't know about 'thrilled', Tink. If anything I'd say she looks like a lost duckling. You okay, hun?"

"I'm just a bit nervous...." She said. "And Cal is my guide and I can leave him.....so I had to." She explained. She continued to wring her hands as the four floated there. But she smiled nonetheless. She was still happy to see the mainland.

"Whoa whoa whoa," Calamus butted in, stopping right in Kieara's path to block her from heading another inch towards the lord they were about to report to. "I'm your guide to show you around our mostly-safe little nook, not drag you by the hair. Tch, you can stay and go to work tomorrow. You've got your house, you've got your clothing, the animal faerie leader knows who you are and will give you a NORMAL assignment in the morning. Take a breath. What do you really want?"

Far from driving her away, the boy's long speech was to make sure with his own tipped ears that Kieara was part of the team whole-heartedly. The tinker and other animal girl looked aghast at the rough tone and keeping the powerful leaders waiting but understood the spirit behind it.

Kieara was scared. She didn't want to be alone. Especially after seeing how the fairies acted throughout her first moments here. She seemed to wilt under his tone not liking him being harsh with her. She was a gentle being and it hurt her feelings. She wanted to go. She really did. She just didn't know what they'd have to do. "I-I...."

(( Ooh, good tension moment. That'll be great material to come back to later, in a more private evening rest, maybe. This reminds me of a lesson in romantic shojo manga writing. ))

The wilting Kieara gave Calamus pause, trying to figure out her reaction. His first thought was of an Omega in a wolf pack, the weakest, submitting to escape harm. Not quite. Sadness, that was it! Nervous to come, sad to stay behind... The male animal faerie put two and two together. "Hey." He smiled confidently, and meant it. "It's okay if you want to stay in Pixie Hollow - you'll see me afterwards at the start of Winter, and I'll look forward to that. AND it'll be okay if you come on the mission - try your hardest, do whatever it takes, and you'll be great out there I know it."

~

The gentle spirit was interrupted as the summoning lord hovered to their cluster. The rest of the pixies in the meadow had already dispersed and this scowling superior wasn't taking any change of heart. He gave plenty of info about the lynx's Mainland habitat, what they needed to do for their numbers - save them from poachers and ensure their breeding - and said that however they accomplished it was up to them. "You're on your own in the Mainland until the season crew brings you home at the start of Winter."

Their immediate orders were to head to the Winter border of Pixie Hollow where the kitten lynxes were getting a preview of the seasons early to help them survive. "Pick up the cubs, get to know them and make sure they obey you. Make all the preparations you can think of this evening. In the morning, report to the Pixie Dust Tree for extra dust rations and make your crossing. Good luck."

The lord had a single map to hand over for the four pixies, and a nominal leader to appoint. A Tinker, a newcomer, hotheaded Calamus, and Fawn - he passed the map and symbol of responsibility on to Fawn.
Fawn sank graciously into a bow.
Calamus just shrugged, as he'd be doing whatever he thought best regardless.

Kieara couldn't bear to stay here. They'd chew her up and spit her out. But she had no idea what to do. She was torn. She was mortally terrified of what would happen to her if she stayed but at the same time she was scared of the newness of the mainland too. She was silent.

((Or we could have her stay and have calamus come back to find her in bad shape and other fairies bullying her because she's new. Lol and thank you))

(( I like that idea too, but having Kieara stay behind means letting this mission idea with your favorite species go to waste, and have to come up with something else going on in Pixie Hollow other than routine work. If it weren't for that, I like that you see your character as a real person who feels a certain way and doesn't just bend because a plot expects it. ))

Fawn picked up on Kieara's reluctance just as strongly as Cal cares for her. "Aw, you're going to like meeting lynx kittens. They're big fuzzy wuzzies!" In an effort to make Kiera feel better, her cheery face got all excited with a smile that plumped her cheeks like cherries.

The boy rubbed one sole against the other foot while hovering, less certain of the magic words for someone so sensitive. "Right. You've already met," he ticked off a list on his fingers. "An eagle, a squirrel, and butterflies. Nothing to it. Eagle's hunter brain and squirrel's fuzzy body, there ya go."

A sigh later, and his heart told him that superficial reasons or reassurance wasn't going to cut it. "Flutter off a second, wouldja?" he shooed the other two girls, but in a much kinder tone of voice to his teammates than he'd used on the adversarial pair he'd recruited for his rainbow. He tried again to talk to Kieara, hovering in close to her and placing his hands on her forearms. "Come with me," he breathed. "I don't make promises that you're safe always. I don't make promises like I've got a, a, a recipe for happiness up my shirt," he continued flippantly. But then his tone settled, his chest puffed as he looked only to 'his' girl, and his eyes gleamed. "Just come with me."

Kieara giggled at fawns excitedness. She enjoyed seeing someone so passionate about what they did. She felt a little better but as calamus stopped and got them alone she became a bit more nervous. But seeing he wasn't going to yell she calmed down. His words helped her if only the slightest bit and she nodded to him and hugged him lightly. She was just scared. "I just.....don't want to end up like that zephyr person..."

((Thank you))

Status
Not open for further replies.