Pirates RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh well I know more about britain and stuff like that so if we could make it more Britain.. ^^

I have a few ideas. I didn't realize there was a thread like this, so I posted it on a thread I made too. I have lots of ideas on how to incorporate romance into it if you're unsure.

Also here is a good link to a lot of information on pirates: http://thepirateking.com

It has everything from types of ships and positions to various shanties and nautical language.

Ideas:
One is a where the crew is running low on funds, so they kidnap an upper-class girl for ransom. The story revolves around the attempts to get the ransom from the girl's parents without getting caught by the navy and the girl's learning that just because they're criminals doesn't mean that their motivations are all bad.

Another idea is about some guys who, due to being chased, accidentally sneak onto what turns out to be an all-women pirate ship. All the women have a reason to have wanted to get away from the men in their lives and don't particularly like men in general because of it. When one of these men saves the captain's life, the crew begrudgingly allows the men to join. Meanwhile, they look to take revenge on the enemy who dared attack them first.

Last idea is one about some pirates who are searching for a legendary treasure, but the only person (read enchantress) who knows the details isn't exactly cooperative. They'll have to imprison her aboard the ship, in shackles specifically designed to drain her powers, in hopes of getting the information out of her and finding what they seek.

Oh and England is a rather classic setting when it comes to pirates. You've got lots of privateers from there (that's basically legal pirates), but also if you use the very end of the golden age of piracy (right after Queen Anne's War) many navy men lost their jobs and some turned to piracy as their means of getting by. I actually have a pirate captain that I've used in previous RPs who is a pirate for that very reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really interested in this role-play. The only type of pirate swashbuckling that comes to my mind though is the Pirate of the Caribbean movies. It incorporates ton of the fantasy aspect (the mermaids, Calypso, Barbossa and his crew) as well as the romance (Swan, Sparrows, etc). But I understand the need for making your own characters and storyline and whatnot. If this is still going on I may be able to contribute a fourth mind to it all?

@F L Y You most definitely can! Everyone else who was "interested" ended up being disinterested, so you are most definitely allowed to offer up ideas!! :)

@Dragonlovinggal Thank you for your contributions Dragon! :)

If you guys haven't already seen it, the occupations of each pirate on a ship is on the last page. A brief explanation is provided with each occupation. (:

If you guys haven't already seen it, the occupations of each pirate on a ship is on the last page. A brief explanation is provided with each occupation. (:
I never knew there were so many people on one ship! xD
So what really have we got so far for the storyline and such? Pirates go hand in hand with treasure so maybe we could do a simple "let's find the gold" type plot and work off of that (throwing in twists and turns) or we can think of something completely out there? Davy Jones/ his crew and Kraken in POC come to mind for an out there type plot.

So what really have we got so far for the storyline and such? Pirates go hand in hand with treasure so maybe we could do a simple "let's find the gold" type plot and work off of that (throwing in twists and turns) or we can think of something completely out there? Davy Jones/ his crew and Kraken in POC come to mind for an out there type plot.
We have nothing for the storyline; that's why we have this group rp plotting thread. Dragon threw out their ideas. You can brainstorm your own ideas or go off one of theirs, adding on to improve the their idea as a whole. (:

Oh yeah speaking of the occupations, the site I linked you to earlier has a really good description of the duties of many of the roles. It might be helpful for people who are maybe not so familiar with what each one does, but I will caution everyone that it didn't exactly make it clear that the First Mate and the Quartermaster are usually the same person. Any other Mates would be the ones to apprentice other main figures on the ship such as the Master Gunner. http://www.thepirateking.com/historical/ship_roles.htm

We already have the ship roles sorted out, but thanks for the link Dragon. (:

One is a where the crew is running low on funds, so they kidnap an upper-class girl for ransom. The story revolves around the attempts to get the ransom from the girl's parents without getting caught by the navy and the girl's learning that just because they're criminals doesn't mean that their motivations are all bad.
This first idea here really sparks my interests. There is a buttload of characters that can be written to fit the storyline. The pirates also don't have to just kidnap one wealthy girl-- the could go around continuously kidnapping the wealthiest heiress' across England. You could also incorporate the third idea:
Last idea is one about some pirates who are searching for a legendary treasure, but the only person (read enchantress) who knows the details isn't exactly cooperative. They'll have to imprison her aboard the ship, in shackles specifically designed to drain her powers, in hopes of getting the information out of her and finding what they seek.
So one of the girl's thinks she can come up with a plan to save everyone by telling the pirates that she knows of a secret treasure or magical item that will set these pirates for life. It's obviously a scam, but these pirates are incredibly desperate. Maybe one or two is suspicious and that's how they play an important role in the story. They are the only ones speaking out against going to this "secret treasure". You could incorporate stowaways on the ship who aren't really apart of the crew (in need of adventure or just there for the ransom money). There are also the Naval ships-- them and their crews will be chasing these pirates, but not all soldiers of the Navy have good intentions. If you want to add more Fantasy then, as a group, we could all brainstorm a couple of magical beings of sorts or just one. They could be a protagonist or antagonist.

So far, that's all I got. A band of pirates kidnapping girls, demanding ransom money for their safe return home, but it seems that these families aren't willing to cave so easily. Over time one or a few of the girl's believe they can trick the band of pirates and lead them to a destination where it will be easiest to escape. Most of the pirates believe the girl(s), while others are incredibly skeptical. Important characters either aid these girls or aid themselves, straying the main plotline into other subplots. Eventually, all these subplots or plot-candies can return these girls to their families or allow them to join the band of pirates. ADVENTURE. :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
@PinkArrow: I know, I didn't mean to override what you already said. I just meant to add a little additional information. I know when I RP I like to get all the information I can... I'm sorry... I get too excited about pirates... I'll calm down.

EDIT:
@F L Y: I like that idea a lot.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
@F L Y: I like that idea a lot.
@F L Y I love that idea! :D
Ooooooh yay!~ :bouncy:

EDIT: There is definitely a lot of other cool stuff that can happen once the RP begins. Returning to the OOC thread and adding in plot-candies or PMing others (with PinkArrows approval) to create sub-plots/character interactive scenes will keep the RP lively and running as it should. That idea can definitely be added onto a million different ways once the role-play actually starts is all I am saying in case we decide that we want more. : )

Well, a lot of my plot candies have already been incorporated into the idea it looks like. I always love a good romance and drama. My other plot candies include suspense, unrequited love, forbidden love, tragedy, and antiheroes. (:

My other plot candies include suspense, unrequited love, forbidden love, tragedy, and antiheroes. (:
OOOOOH YES! Everything that a good pirate RP has to have. I'm really excited for this now. : )

OOOOOH YES! Everything that a good pirate RP has to have. I'm really excited for this now. : )
I'm really, really tempted to make one of the girls... I hope you all aren't against making the girls (if any of you make one) at least 20 years old. If so, 18 is the minimum age they can be. I plan to play a few (minor) secondary characters who are just part of the crew. Maybe the cabin boy or a simple sailor... Are any of you against the idea of one of the girls (hoping it could be mine haha; I'm greedy) developing a relationship with the captain, be it an unrequited love from either perspective, or simply a forbidden love altogether?

@PinkArrow: Totally! I'd really like to make the Captain! I'm not much for unrequited love but I'm all for a forbidden love!

Status
Not open for further replies.