Pirates of the Everyocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely he wasn't asking for her advice. She sighed and proceeded to wipe her blades, getting a vial of mineral oil from a pocket on her jacket. She lightly soaked the cloth and began oil polishing her swords. Keeping them oiled and wiping them off after every dive kept them from corroding or rusting. Without further ado, she proceeded to dole out her requested advice.

"It'd be easier to follow you if you got there alone. If you dock with the rest of us, there'll be too many targets to choose. I think everyone's running by the bar for phase one anyway, so if we all get there at the same time, we seem like a bunch of motley sailors. I always found crowds best for losing assailants myself. With no system recording every individual born on this drowning planet, neither here nor up there, it's easy to get away with murder. And if someone's task is to follow you, would you prefer to screw them over and have the captain remain suspicious of you?"

"I see. I'm just trying to stay within my mission parameters. Can't give any specifics, but I'm sure i wouldn't have a tail from the crew unless they got bored with their assignment. If someone follows me and they aren't a member of the crew, i can loose them quickly. A member of the crew would be a bit on the tricky side. I'm sure if the captain is suspicious of me, i can put his concerns to rest." Leon said. He wanted to take no chances and let his target slip away. If there wasn't any way he could leave before everyone else, he would try to slip away unnoticed, which would be hard to do with the assassin watching the bar.

Sonya inspected the blades for a moment before slashing each through the air to check their speed. "Can you talk and dance at the same time? I've been waiting to get a crack at you since you took out those merfolk. I'll use the blunt side. I'm sure it'd be hard for you to heal a severed limb, but bruises shouldn't be an issue."

Hopping up from her station, she replaced her sheathes on her waist and twirled her blades. "Now that we're inside, out of the salt, I can finally show you my skills." (Sparring sequence posts will have to account for parry and ukemi so we don't bunny each other, so might be shorter)

"I could use a work out." Leon said with a bit of a smile. "Just no low blows. And don't hold back. Wouldn't be as fun if you did. Meet me in the cargo bay. More room to move around."

The cargo bay? Tight quarters was a useful sparring place, forced precision in your strikes - but she wouldn't fight it. She'd have to think less about the environment that way. Cooling down for the moment, Sonya sheathed her blades and turned up her nose. "Sobeit. I'll be right there after I clean my scabbards. Swords are like pets in that they require constant care."

"I know. I make several weapons." Leon said before he walked to the large room.

Sonya smirked and shouted loud enough for him to hear. "Sure you don't want to stay and watch? Maybe you could think of it as an erotic metaphor or something." She almost chuckled at her own joke before she went to it, using a rifle cleaner in lieu of anything specialized for the job.

Leon let out a deep, resounding laugh and said "if you want an erotic metaphor stop by my forge and watch me forge a new weapon." But all the same, he turned around and waited for Sonya as she went about cleaning her swords and their scabbards.

Sonya sighed, her ear twitching irritably. "I wasn't serious, perv. I'll be a minute, go on ahead."

"I was just joking, Lass." Leon said with a chuckle. "i don't find anything related to the crafting or upkeep of a weapon even the slightest bit erotic. you're reading too much into the meaning behind what i am saying instead of the feel of the words themselves. if you're not too careful you'll end up with wrinkles, lass. i could tell you weren't serious, so i joked right back with you."

Sonya huffed and returned the cleaning rod to its station, finally ready. "Yeah, sure, but the watching. I kid yet you proceed to observe. It bugs me." Swords sheathed and scabbards worn, Sonya approached Leo and cocked her head to the side. "So when you said I shouldn't hold back, did you mean I should use the blades? Because while I don't like you, I have no intent on killing you or dismembering you. Could you grow that arm back before we go ashore?"

"i just make the weapons and know some basic methods of maintaining them. i don't know anything about cleaning the scabbards of blades. yes you can just as long as you don't take my head off or aim below the belt and above the knee. and i can regenerate. just like it never even happened unless it's my head or the object is still in me or if i am being torn apart faster than i can put myself back together." Leon said before he drew one of her swords and cut his hand off in one quick, clean move to prove his point. not even a drop of blood stained the blade from how quickly the sword passed through his flesh. as the hand dropped a new one started growing back. in a matter of minutes a fresh hand had grown back and there wasn't even a scar. "Good as new." he said as he moved his fingers to show there wasn't any permanent damage as he re-sheathed the sword.

"I do believe you were offering me a job." Sol recanted thoughtfully as his gaze drifted down to the whiskey. Coming to a decision, he smiled and lifted his sharp red eyes back to meet the captain's gaze. "And I was taking it." He set the drink down in front of the captain. "I think you deserve this drink more than I do. Coming back from a loss puts you two steps farther than where you were before it."
The captain grinned with his deformed face. He looked legitimally happy with his new crew man. "That's a deal then. Let me put you on your first job then. Find the lion guy, Leon. He's doing a job for me once we set our feet on land, and you're gonna help him. I hope that's fine to you. You'll get a high payment for it, all you gotta do is assist him".

Scales grinned slightly, leaning against the cool, rough surface of the wall nearest to the door. Increased sense of hearing was a perk of his nature, and hearing the captain chide the newest crew members always amused the dark-haired doctor. At the mention of the Leonin wanting to venture out alone onto the surface of the mermaid-infested waters, Scales felt the familiar, bitter clench of hunger in his stomach; it had been a long time, and he could imagine his kind sinking their teeth into the flesh of the heavy-set, brawny Leon until only a pile of clean bones on the silty ocean floor remained. He could imagine doing it himself, in fact, and was already salivating over the taught squish of the meat and the gush of warm, saccharine blood he would feel as the veins burst under his teeth when Leon walked out of the office and away down the corridor.

Scales paused, disciplined his thoughts. This man was a sailor, and a shipmate, and could not sate his hunger. He barely felt the guilt that had once plagued him so deeply; necessity and famine have a tendency of making lesser concerns like ethics and morality crumble like powdered chalk.

With slightly clumsy movements, after having spent so long in the water, Scales stepped through the door and into the Captain's quarters.

"Hello, Captain," he said, nodding to him quietly. He watched the other man for a moment before he spoke again. "I didn't find it. The merfolk here aren't particularly cooperative, and even several days of exploration revealed nothing. Are you certain it's in the Salty Roads?"

Scales sat in the chair opposite the captain's desk, slowly, wincing as he adjusted to having legs again. He paused, letting the captain think for a moment, and then added quietly, in a strangely melodic voice that was evidence of his hunger;

"Zealous new recruits, I see... that man had courage, if nothing else."

The merman watched him quietly, politely, not explicitly stating that he's starving half to death, but something about his mannerisms made it obvious. Dilated pupils, a slightly melodic, hypnotic voice, with lulled undertones... signs the captain would recognize, the merman hoped. Begging for food had always humiliated Scales.
After finishing his business with Sol, the captain was very happy to finally see an old crew mate returning. His last crew mate, and probably the one that was most trustworthy of them all. After all, he was still here. Not even his own quartermaster was there anymore. But Scales was. He would be rewarded for that eventually.

All that time he spent on the sea and there were no results, but still, here he was back again like a good crew man. As soon as they would get in the Promised Land, the captain would give him a little bit of the juice. Only him for now, nobody else looked like any sort of ideal crew mate. But hell, that was all that Skrog had right now.

"You did good Scales. And well... It was a shot in the dark really. I guess we just missed that bloody submarine... But I'll keep trying. Your help was much appreciated and your efforts were not in vain. You can go to your room now and rest. There'll be a feel things for you there. I hope you're hungry, because I really had to go through many things to get that shit".

Sol nodded, a yessir slipping from his lips, and ventured out of the room, going off in the direction that he had seen the lion guy take off in. He paused when he heard conversation in a room nearby and, recognizing the voice of the lion guy that had briefly interrupted his talk with the captain. He awkwardly stood outside the room, knowing that someone else was with the guy, and that the captain wanted all the missions to be super secret hush hush. And here he was, assisting someone in who knows what.

"Don't. Touch. The swords."

This was something she would not reiterate. The one thing she could be sentimental about was her swords. Obviously, she had let down her guard if he could so easily grab the blade.

Sonya quickly walked away, headed towards the cargo bay, clutching the sword Leo had borrowed.

"Just showing you I'm not lying." Leon said as he picked up the severed limb and followed her. As he left the room, he noticed Sol and kept walking. He didn't know if the guy wanted to talk to one of them or if he was just eavesdropping, but he had something else going on at that time.

The barman stood behind the counter while looking at one of the reinforced windows. He missed the days when he could just go outside and breath the air, feel the soft breeze. There was no fun and games anymore, just a poisoned environment where one could barely spend six minutes outside his home. Perhaps he could move the bar somewhere else... Somehow. He had no idea on how to achieve this, maybe it was just a silly dream, but if it was possible, it would come out as a huge advantage to him. If only there would be profit by selling the bar, he could buy another one somewhere else. But nobody would buy any kind of property at Salty Roads, that was the problem. His life was ending soon and he didn't wanted for his only heritage to be that bar at the end of the world. He needed something better to leave for his sucessor. Something greater... Nothing came to mind. That was just it and he would have to accept it. "Hey Jade, since you finished with the drunkhead, you mind taking a mask and going outside to check if there's any coins on the old rusty machine?"

Jade had just finished cleaning the regurgitated booze off the table when her boss spoke, asking her to go outside and look for coins on a machine. She looked over at him, her head tilting slightly. Machine? What machine? Oh well, she'd know it when she saw it she supposed. In any case, he wouldn't send her out there without a good reason. After a moments hesitation, Jade responded. "No, I don't mind," she said, grabbing the handle of the bucket and lifting it off the ground. The request had confused her sure, but she wasn't about to refuse. She didn't want him to reconsider his choice of making her his heir after all. She carried the water bucket to the back room and dumped the contents down the sink. After she had finished, she grabbed one of the gas masks that were hanging on a couple of hooks drilled into the wall. She slipped it on, took it off, adjusted it, and put it back on. She needed to make sure it fit well if she was going outside. After she was satisfied with the fit, she walked back into the main room and headed for the door. She really disliked going outside; she had received more than her fair share of the salty air in the past couple months. Well, no going back now. She opened the door and stepped outside. The cool wind tousled her hair, it would have be enjoyable change from the stuffy bar if she didn't have a gas mask stuck to her face. As she continued to the back she passed a familiar face. The man she had just thrown out was lying there passed out on the ground. Jade looked down at him, a tinge of pity stirring in her stomach. Damn it. Sighing inwardly, she bent down, ripped a piece of cloth from his clothes, and tied it around his nose and mouth. It was better than nothing anyway. Returning to her assignment, she walked behind the bar where she found the pile of rust her boss was talking about. Oh THAT machine... so, uh, what was it? She examined it closely, her curiosity growing with each passing moment. Whatever it was it had sure seen better days.

Jade had just finished cleaning the regurgitated booze off the table when her boss spoke, asking her to go outside and look for coins on a machine. She looked over at him, her head tilting slightly. Machine? What machine? Oh well, she'd know it when she saw it she supposed. In any case, he wouldn't send her out there without a good reason. After a moments hesitation, Jade responded. "No, I don't mind," she said, grabbing the handle of the bucket and lifting it off the ground. The request had confused her sure, but she wasn't about to refuse. She didn't want him to reconsider his choice of making her his heir after all. She carried the water bucket to the back room and dumped the contents down the sink. After she had finished, she grabbed one of the gas masks that were hanging on a couple of hooks drilled into the wall. She slipped it on, took it off, adjusted it, and put it back on. She needed to make sure it fit well if she was going outside. After she was satisfied with the fit, she walked back into the main room and headed for the door. She really disliked going outside; she had received more than her fair share of the salty air in the past couple months. Well, no going back now. She opened the door and stepped outside. The cool wind tousled her hair, it would have be enjoyable change from the stuffy bar if she didn't have a gas mask stuck to her face. As she continued to the back she passed a familiar face. The man she had just thrown out was lying there passed out on the ground. Jade looked down at him, a tinge of pity stirring in her stomach. Damn it. Sighing inwardly, she bent down, ripped a piece of cloth from his clothes, and tied it around his nose and mouth. It was better than nothing anyway. Returning to her assignment, she walked behind the bar where she found the pile of rust her boss was talking about. Oh THAT machine... so, uh, what was it? She examined it closely, her curiosity growing with each passing moment. Whatever it was it had sure seen better days.
JukeBox_SC2_CineBarFight1.jpg

The machine was a rusty and broken jukebox that Jade never looked at. It was kinda useless since nearly nobody liked to stay outside in Salty Roads, but the barman always said that you never know the kind of people that would stop by, so it probably wouldn't be a problem to check it. She would have to open the lid to take out the coins and it was locked, but the key was in her key ring. Before she opened the lock, Jade noticed something unusual about the song list. One of them was very oddly replaced by an alien song. At least the text was alien. With a coin in her pocket, Jade could hear the song if she wanted to.

It was up to her

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//To everyone else, we'll be docking the ship this sunday​

Rivrin casted one last glance at Rachel before moving to find something to eat she hoped it would help get rid of the pounding headache, she didn't remember drink enough to split her skull down the middle, rubbing the back her head she looked through the rooms finding useless trash and no food, maybe there was a kitchen of sorts? She pulled out the map she'd found in the compartment by the control panels and sure enough there was a kitchen listed in the directory, head chef a man named Dave Geller, she didn't suppose the chef would still be there to whip her up a sandwich but that was possibly where these mysterous energy bars were stored. Making her way down the halls she made few turns until she reached the kitchen, sure enough it was rather spacious with lots of shiny steel islands and cupboards, she shuffled through a few cupboards finding them all empty before sighing and moving to the pantry where she assumed the bars would be stored, sure enough and to Rivrin's satisfaction there was a couple of boxes full of the little bars, opening one she stuck it in her mouth and picked up the box before heading back to the control panel where she wanted to see if she could get the sonar systems working again.

JukeBox_SC2_CineBarFight1.jpg

The machine was a rusty and broken jukebox that Jade never looked at. It was kinda useless since nearly nobody liked to stay outside in Salty Roads, but the barman always said that you never know the kind of people that would stop by, so it probably wouldn't be a problem to check it. She would have to open the lid to take out the coins and it was locked, but the key was in her key ring. Before she opened the lock, Jade noticed something unusual about the song list. One of them was very oddly replaced by an alien song. At least the text was alien. With a coin in her pocket, Jade could hear the song if she wanted to.

It was up to her

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//To everyone else, we'll be docking the ship this sunday​

As Jade examined the machine, she noticed something that she recognize written on it: song names. This must be a music player of some sort. She thought back to her grandparents. They used to talk about something like this. What was it called again... a juicebox? No, that couldn't be right... aw, forget it. As she continued looking through the songs a sense of nostalgia set it. She suddenly realized just how long it had been since she had heard music, REAL music, not just some drunk guy's off-pitch singing. She dug through her pocket until she located the coin she had been given earlier that day as a tip. It couldn't hurt to listen to one song. After all, she would get the coin back anyway. She would have to give it to the barman, but, hey, it might cheer him up knowing people still use this old thing. Convinced, she was about to put the coin in when she noticed something odd. "What's this?" she said, her voice sounding muffled through the gas mask. There was a song on the playlist that wasn't in English. It looked... alien. Yep, definitely alien. Not that there was anything wrong with that. Still it intrigued her. Putting her coin in, she pushed the button next to the alien song and waited for the machine to spring to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.