1. Intermediate
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, Romance, Action, Dark

What are your general thoughts on piracy and do you partake in it?

I don't pirate video games and never will. However I will admit that I do pirate music and tv shows. While I do think most of the reasons people pirate are stupid, there are some situations where piracy is the only way someone can access something.

There's really no purpose in hating piracy because we've all done it at one point whether we wanna admit it or not.

I'd argue that piracy is only acceptable when a film or game was never released in your country to begin with.

dtnxzqw.jpg

Oh, wrong kind of pirate. Anyways, if torrenting websites weren't shut down faster than I can say fap, I'd be pirating my movies/tv shows. I don't pirate music or games anymore though.

I'd argue that piracy is only acceptable when a film or game was never released in your country to begin with.
But isn't that what imports are for? Especially since region locking died ages ago

I only pirate music and TV shows from other countries that would otherwise never make it here. I buy all my games.

Reactions: Legens Legentis
But isn't that what imports are for? Especially since region locking died ages ago
I'm no expert on the nature of imports, but my guess is that not all goods can be imported on account of obscurity or age.

I pirate movies/shows to watch, and if I like them I'll buy the DVD/BR later. (And I have 200+ DVDs so I'm not joking on this, I really do buy that shit).

I used to do the same thing with music, but then I realized I have never, ever, in my entire 29 years of life, bought a music CD new*. So my desire to support the artists buy buying stuff wasn't supporting anybody. After that, the only music I buy is music I'm fairly confident I will not be able to download in the future. Which is generally hard to find soundtracks of games or anime. But I also sort of buy those just as collectors items. Like the Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 OSTs come in some REALLY cool books, and the original FF9 OST is also super cool (and came with sheet music). Expensive as fuck, though.

As for video games, well I am only a console gamer so even if I wanted to, I couldn't. Unless I modded my console, but I'm not even sure you can still do that anymore?

So yeah, that's me.

*=And I don't believe in digital purchases. I refuse to do that. I want hard media. If I can't get physical media, I will pirate.

Last edited:
Movies and shows? Sure. Never games or music, though. If I like a particular movie or show I'll purchase it later. Most of the movies or shows I do watch are old, as there's no point in pirating things still in theaters if I have the money to see them.

In some third world countries I've been to, even when you go to the store and buy something, it ends up being pirated. Like you literally can't find a legit copy unless you order it from another country.

Myself, I listen to music on YouTube and buy my games. I watch shows and movies that are uploaded, so I guess that would be piracy.

I do music in my spare time, and that niche is riddled with software that forces dongles on you. I either find an alternative or pirate it, because wasting a USB port for copy protection is the dumbest concept I've seen in years.

Since I started making money, I haven't pirated anything anymore.

I used to torrent shit all day but now it's much easier to just pay for it.

I'm a filthy pirate, yarr.

I pirate music because of a mix of laziness and despising the limitations that often come with buying things (like not being able to play music purchased through iTunes via another program or on a non-Apple mp3 player, or not being able to rip songs off CDs without an annoying hassle). I also just don't buy music and would stick to listening to things on YouTube, with an ad blocker active, so I wouldn't be giving the fuckers money regardless.

I pirate movies and shows because, similar to music, I want to be able to use them on whatever device in whatever manner I choose. I can't watch things offline via streaming services, and I can't watch things on disc on my laptop that has no disc drive, so fuck it, piracy is the easy answer.

I used to pirate tons of games, but Steam has made me not feel the need to do so. Unless a game itself comes with shitty always-online DRM (which I refuse to buy) then I can play it offline. Moving it from one device to another requires downloading it with an internet connection on that second device, but that's not a huge problem. Also the frequent sales mean I don't feel like I'm getting price gouged by asshole online distribution platforms charging the exact same as brick and mortar stores that have to include the cost of physical merchandise and the shipping and handling thereof into their prices. I've stopped even buying physical copies of games because that price feels like a ripoff even with the physical goods.

I would happily pay for shows and movies if they allowed the freedom of use I want and did not have absurd prices. Not music though, fuck that, music piracy forever.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Aye, but only with the full intention to buy them later. Since I'm an adolescent with no income or even bank account, buying games isn't really an option. My father doesn't even know I play games much. Which I don't actually.

What I do get online, however, are ebooks in ePub format. Again, I keep them noted so I can buy them all later when I'm grown up. No, my parents won't get them for me. Yes, it's wrong. But I so want to read those books that I can't help myself. I do want to give the creators what they deserve. But I'll do it later and in the meanwhile I'll note what I owe to them.

This got way longer than I had expected. That's my answer. Make of it what you will, good gentles.

I used to pirate music until I got a warning from some very high up police peoples.

I don't pirate things much anymore, except music, and even then I'm a lazy motherfucker and just make mp3s from Youtube videos. I also pirate Sims games because I don't really want to pay EB more money than I have to, and also the expansions are stupid expensive.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
The only thing I pirate is music, and even then only if it isn't on iTunes or Bandcamp. At that point I'm done trying to find a legitimate way of getting it, and just rip from YouTube.

Although more lately I've also been pirating free songs out of spite, if said free songs are only legitimately available if you like their Facebook page and share it with your friends, or w/e. I ain't spamming advertisements to my feed just to get a song.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I pirate a bunch of music :v

Like....just music

There was only one time I actually pirated a game. Otherwise, I buy my games off Steam or at a game shop.

I rarely ever pirate movies/TV shows coz I just leech off streaming sites LOL

Reactions: Cush Almighty
Proud pirate and I won't stop till they kicking dowm my door bedroom door. I mostly pirate comics, music and da game to my phone. I do it because I can and I know I sounds terrible but i'my being honest.

I pirate tabletop game books.

But I don't actively search for places where I can get them. People send me links, or share a google docs link with me or something.

It's more like Illegal sharing than Piracy, but still.

Never pirate movies, video games, or music, though.

Reactions: LunaValentine
*Whistles* I'll admit I did it a few times when I was younger, but with a brother in the 'Justice Department's' cyber section, and another brother receiving a letter from Paramount, threatening to sue him if he pirated any more movies, I've learned the bad side of it - so I don't go there anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.