Piracy, Phenomenons, and Pufferfish, Oh My! - An Oceanic Fantasy RP -

C

Calypso Major

Original poster
I've used div boxes to set this up, so if you are a mobile user experiencing issues, I have two solutions for you.

1. Turn your device sideways. Depending on the device, it might help!
2. Switch to a laptop, or wait for the mobile-friendly spoiler I'll be sure to edit in.

Piracy, Phenomenons, and Pufferfish, Oh My!
- An Oceanic Fantasy RP -

Inspired by One Piece, the Gaia Theory, & other bits and pieces I found on Pinterest.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you've seen the anime "One Piece", then you probably know where I'm going with this. If you have not seen it, you can still participate, don't worry! This is not a fandom roleplay, but the inspiration is relatively obvious, so I'm going to point it out.

In the future, I will post sketches and other images I find as visual aids for the information below. For now though, please attempt to use your imaginations.

Calypso's Note: "I have a bunch of little notes dedicated to you guys, that explain my favorite highlight of each section. This is mostly to showcase my personality, so that I don't scare away anybody with the loads of information!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[warning= goldenrod] W A R N I N G S ! ! !
P L E A S E - R E A D ! !

1. If you are uncomfortable with profanity, then this is most likely not for you, as there will likely be swearing at one point or another in this project. Considering the fact that most characters involved will be considered as "criminal scum", I figured it is best to warn you now.

2. Likewise, there will be violence and mentions of gory things. I'm currently unaware of the rating system concerning gore, but it will not be over-the-top disgusting. Most likely, there will be mentions of injuries-- and reactions to said injuries.

3. Concerning world-building, there are mentions of forced labor, a.k.a. slavery, and various recreational drug use. These may be mentioned in the plot as well, when the time comes. There is also the mentioning of prostitution-- however in no way, shape, or form will this be expanded upon in the plot. It is simply an aspect of the world that I thought players (and characters) should be aware of.
[/warning]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Concept

Calypso's Note: "I'm sorry my summary is horrible!"

I am looking for those willing to help me create a wonderful world in which players can be a part of different 'crews'! There would be differing story arcs happening all at once-- the idea is that the actions of one "crew" would affect all others!

For the sake of organization and storytelling, each "GM" would be the captain of a crew. Together, the "GMs" would work on creating a single, overarching story-- intertwining various aspects of smaller stories to achieve a world of adventure.

Gosh, this is sounding more like a homework assignment...it's not, I promise!

Rules & Guidelines

Calypso's Note: "Please read all of this section."

While this project is not ready to set sail just yet, I do have expectations concerning how people act with it. That isn't to say these rules won't change, but for now I am looking for people who are willing to coexist with these guidelines!

1. All Iwaku Rules apply. This means no explicit sexual content, as I am a bluestar and this is not that type of roleplay. Nudity (specifically concerning the nether regions) is not allowed, and under no conditions are you to depict any person of prepubescent age partaking in sexual content. Any potentially risque content that adheres to the previous statements must be placed in spoilers, with appropriate warnings.

2. If you are using any images that do not belong to you for a specific purpose (face-claims, locations, etc.), please attempt to source and give credit to the owners! If you cannot find the original artist, or you found the picture from sources such as Google Images and Pinterest, then just state where you found the picture. The reasoning behind this is that ownership over images is usually left unsaid, and I personally find it more polite to maintain a habit of clarifying whether or not an image belongs to you. If you forget, don't worry-- the worse that'll happen is I ask for clarification.

3. Writing wise, I'm looking for a minimum of around ten sentences. This is not meant to be a strict guideline, but the quality of the writing I am looking for should probably consist of around the "Intermediate" level of Iwaku's classification at minimum-- and it must further some aspect of the story. Even if your character doesn't say anything, they should at least react to what has been already said!

4. You must respect all others outside of the IC thread. I will not tolerate blatant harassment of any sort, and will only give one warning before you are banned. Quite frankly, I haven't experienced any harassment in my time here on Iwaku, but I have heard of others experiencing it-- and there will be no exceptions.

5. Furthermore, myself (and any others who carry the GM status) will always have the final say on anything related to the setting and story. While I am all up for friendly suggestions, questions, and requests-- I am also expecting these to not become demands. Any form of disrespect for the rules, or the stated physics/story/setting of the world will result in a warning-- followed by a ban should it be repeated. Mistakes are fine, but blatantly going against what has been said is incredibly rude, so please don't do it!

6. Finally, have fun! I know that there's a lot of serious things stated above, and that's because I do not want to give the opportunity to those people who would break those guidelines. However, I consider myself a pretty cheerful person-- but when it comes to respect and disrespect, I become pretty strict. In the end though, this is supposed to be an adventure of sorts-- so if nobody has fun, then it simply isn't worth it.

Physics

Calypso's Note: "I'm not a physicist, but there's physics!"

For this world, we will follow "Anime Physics". If you are unaware with the basis of these physics, I will provide two links that describes various "laws" found in most anime. For the sake of brevity though, these physics mean the following: No matter the age of your character, be it 12 or 97, your character has the potential of becoming very very bad-ass.

Also, nosebleeds.

Link One

Link Two

Geography

Calypso's Note: "Yes, the world is flat. No, this is not a joke."

The Boreal Ocean--
The northernmost body of saltwater, semicircular in shape, with the flat edge facing the Austral Occhiolism.

The Austral Ocean--
The southernmost body of saltwater, semicircular in shape, with a flat edge facing the Boreal Occhiolism.

Boreal/Austral Occhiolisms--
A pair of abysses bordering both oceans' flat edges, where seawater falls endlessly from the two oceans. However, on the other side of each abyss, the water seems to flow upwards— defying gravity and providing the source to this world's version of the sky: the Sidereal Stream. These abysses have one entrance way, which lead directly to Elysian (the center of the world, and the base of the Global Syndicate). They are also the only entrances to the mysterious third ocean, known as "Kalopsia".

Kalopsia--
This ocean is much more chaotic compared to its sibling oceans, with the Sidereal Stream in this area being more condensed. As a result; unstable currents lead to creatures of the deep rising up for a midnight snack, storms caused by the dense populations of stormfish are much more severe, days are shorter-- even gravity itself is affected in some parts of Kalopsia.

Sidereal Stream--
An ocean for a sky, nobody really knows why it's called a stream. The color of the water depends on the differing breeds of bioluminescent creatures that swim along it, and to this day nobody has been able to document where if there's anything past the stream. There are two separate cycles to represent day and night-- one always happening in the depths of the ocean whilst the other is showcased in the Sidereal stream.
The 'day' cycle has an abundance of bioluminescent "cloudfish" in pure white and golden light. These concentrated schools of fish swim around a humongous manta ray referred to as the "Sun Ray". The underside of the Sun Ray gives off a golden blaze, and it is the brightest light of all the fish seen in the Sidereal Stream.
The 'night' cycle consists of more scattered "starfish", found in shades of magenta, violet, blue. For some reason, these fish like to swim in specific formations when they are in the Sidereal Stream, always in fixed positions around a gigantic jellyfish appropriately named the "Moon Jellyfish". The Moon Jellyfish, while not nearly as bright as the Sun Ray, gives off a soft white light, tinged with the blue of the water to create a calming effect.

Islands--
There are various islands found in all three oceans, each with their own climate and geography.

Aquarelle Islands--
The hometowns of Aquarelles, these so-called "islands" are engineering wonders-- drifting with the oceans currents in a continuous cycle. While Aquarelle Islands have the ability to anchor and maneuver underwater, they do not have the ability to fight against the current-- meaning that in order to go back to a previous location, they need to drift into the sidereal streams.

Government

Calypso's Note: "Hah, there's no memes in this one!"

In this world, there exists only the Global Syndicate. The Syndicate is divided into two factions: a certain group of individuals known as the "Exalted Sentinels", who rarely leave the safety of Elysian; and the Navy, who are lead by a singular "Colonel".

The Navy is divided into different hierarchies:

"Colonel",
"Commander",
"Vice Commander",
"Commodore",
"Vice Commodore",
"Captain",
"Officer".

Blue-Bloods

Calypso's Note: "This is not literal. They have red blood."

In the past, 20 families sponsored the beginning of the Global Syndicate-- with 5 families helping lead it, and the other 15 providing monetary support. As the Syndicate grew to what it is today, families known as "Blue-bloods", and as payment for their continuous support they are allowed to do whatever so pleases them-- which includes control over any member of the Syndicate who possesses the rank of Commodore (or lower).

Anti-Government

Calypso's Note: "Okay, so maybe I use too many fancy words as proper nouns…but they're so cool!"

As with the existence of any authority, there lies a movement with the goals of destroying it. An organization known as "Enigma" came into existence about 25 years or so ago, however the intentions behind it have always been lying underneath the surface of our government.

It's leader is the most wanted man, because it is he who has directly opposed the government. His bounty is equivalent to "the sum of all other bounties in current existence", which means that for every rogue soul he has swept, his bounty increases.

Pirates

Calypso's Note: "Ahoy, yee(t) landlubbers! Avast, ye scallywaggers! HOIST THE BLACK SPOT!"

Criminals who oppose the laws set by the government, yet also do not conform to the will of the (anti government). These range from those who pillage and enslave, to those who simply seek a life without rules.

Abyssal Nuts

Calypso's Note: "Yes, I'm probably too immature to be making jokes like this. But, can you count how many times I've almost written 'deez nuts'?"

These mysterious nuts come in practically every shape and size the world has to offer. Some are smooth as butter, some come in bunches held together by a single stem, some are reflective like a mirror. Either way, it's the world big middle finger to all those who wish to keep it still and calm.

These nuts grant the user conceptual powers-- that is to say, they grant powers based off of only a concept. As a result, those who are creative and strategic tend to overpower those who are not.

However, when coming into contact with the ocean (or any byproduct of it), the user will experience an effect that others would not. Most go limp, losing all energy at the slightest of contact. Others go berserk, their powers raging, unstoppable and uncontrollable by the user. The lucky few simply lose their power, forced to rely on normalcy alone for the duration of contact. For the sanity of the world, the government has classified these nuts into three categories.

Minutiae--
These nuts grant the user transformative powers-- those which that affect the user and only the user. Some have been able to adopt the characteristics of certain creatures, some have been able to manipulate their bodies in grotesque, macabre ways.

Kairos--
These nuts grant the user to manipulate their environments, some going so far as to become the environment itself. Some users have been able to manipulate and turn into flames upon touch, some have created earth-shattering noises from the tiniest water drop.

Acatalepsy--
Considered as the rarest and most dangerous nuts, these grant the user powers that are simply unexplainable. Some have been able to manipulate existence itself-- a single touch decaying that which is alive, and eroding that which is not. Others have the ability to separate anything, some have multiple abilities inside a certain space they create.

These fruits, while providing the user immeasurable powers, come at a steep cost. When overextending one's power beyond their current capabilities, blood is used as the source. No matter the power, it will grow a red tinge when the lifeforce is being drawn out of the user. Enough overextension can lead to the heart no longer having any blood to flow-- causing heart palpitations and, finally, an excruciating death.

Orenda

Calypso's Note: "Oh, oh, oh-- it's magic!"

A power that doesn't derive from an abysmal nut, anybody has the ability to learn this. However, finding someone who will teach it is another story entirely-- as the Syndicate has [theoretically] banned all citizens from learning it.

The basis focuses on your willpower, so more confident people will overpower less confident. Orenda is able to block the powers of Abyssal Nuts, if one's will is stronger than the other. The Syndicate has also classified Orenda into three basic categories.

Petrichor--
Like the earth, your willpower is strong, unmoving-- yet had the potential to become fluid and entrapping. Used mostly for protection, your willpower materializes on your skin-- a dark brown or black in color. Overuse can result in varying degrees of burns on the area used.

Kuebiko--
Like the ocean, your willpower is graceful and extremely deadly. Used mostly for attacking, your willpower becomes a nearly palpable sense of bloodlust, giving you an aura of death and misery. The only physical sign of Kuebiko's activation is the bloodlust which, depending on the gap between wills, could potentially knockout multiple people from sheer fear.

Opia--
Like the winds, your willpower can be invitingly gentle, or harshly invasive. Used for stealth or observation, your willpower provides sensory enhancement-- along with adding additional senses, such as the presence if others. Along with this, it provides sensory degradation-- slowing your heartbeat down to a crawl and creating the effect of a simple background character of no interest, should you so wish it. A dark violet film can be seen in your eyes, and your strength, stamina, and speed increases. Overuse can result in varying degrees of eye exhaustion, and eventually complete blindness.

Religion

Calypso's Note: "There's also atheists and those who don't identify with a religion!"

Sabaism (Worship of Stars)
[Worshippers referred to as Sabaists]--

People who follow this religion believe that the living stars are guiding us, and that when we die we will ascend to the sky and become a star ourself. Key traits of this religion are borderline-radical environmentalism, confidence in surroundings, and freedom. This religion is considered as the minority, compared to the rest.

Heliolatry (Worship of the Sun Ray)
[Worshippers referred to as Heliolites]--

People who follow this religion believe that the sun ray has in one way or another created all, that it has created the sky as a final gift to protect and guide its creations. As for the moon squid, it is the first creature to go against the sun ray, and the war between the two has lead to the day/night cycle. The moon squid is seen as the destroyer of all the sun ray has created. Key traits of this religion are justice, charity, and selflessness.

Lunata (Worship of the Moon Squid)
[Worshippers referred as Lunatics]--
People who follow this religion more or less follow the same story as those who follow the faith of the sun squid. However, they interpret the Moon Squid as one who wishes for independence, rather than sole dependence on its creator. As such, it gets a separate domain, guiding those who wish to better themselves. Key traits of this religion are independence, self-expression, and confidence in oneself. Many pirates follow this religion, hence the stereotypical generalization that pirates party all night.

Species

Calypso's Note: "Now we're getting to the parts that aren't as detailed, but still really important."

Humans--
The majority of the world, with huge variety. Due to the lack of a need for vitamin D in this world-- the melanin & melatonin properties of humans are much more variant. This results in more variety of hair and eye colors-- along with the ability to easily transition into different sleeping schedules.

Aquarelles--
Cannot consume abyssal nuts, contain two forms (dryland & wetland). Can only maintain dryland form for 3 days, must come into contact with the ocean afterwards or risk drying out. The dryland form includes gills and features from their wetland form (decorative patches of scales, tentacles for hair, fins, etc.). Both forms are able to breathe underwater, and can sometimes speak to aquatic creatures.

The Unsanctioned Business World

Calypso's Note: "Last section (for now), thank you so much for reading this!"

Quite frankly, there's a lot I want to do with this section. However, for the sake of awareness and the somewhat open-door policy I have going on here, here's some of the things you can expect to exist in the "Black Market" of this world:

Prostitution & Forced Labor--
A.K.A. Slavery: Aquarelles & Abyssal Nuts are considered the most valuable.

Drugs--
Songbird, a drug that increases the user's heart rate to that of a bird's-- granting a surprising burst of speed to the user. Frost, a drug that turns off pain receptors-- making the user feel no pain. Dew, a drug that 'coats' muscles in a film-- lending additional strength and flexibility to the user. All of these are highly addictive, and drawbacks are incredibly painful should one wish to break their addiction.

Creature & Material Exportation--
Common live exportation includes baby seals, jellyfish, and other exotic creatures. The illegal trade of preserved jellyfish tentacles and manta ray stingers for tokens.

Information & Disappearance--
Consists of information brokers, and people who help create fake identities.

Assassins & Mercenaries--
Those who wish to help make others 'disappear', and those who will do anything for the right price.

I know we are deeming, just thought I'd publicly support it :)

Interested!

Hey~hey^^!!

Interested! But just concerned about the multiple crews thingie... Sooooo like:

~do we choose which crew we join or
~do we play multi-charries and put one in each crew or
~ is there gunna be separate IC + OoC threads for the different crews?

0,o??

@Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Thank you for the interest! After some discussion, I've realized that I may have gotten in way over my head.

As of right now, the plan has been changed to a single-crew roleplay-- with the potential of growing into a multi-crew roleplay in the far, far future.

Mechanically speaking, if the time comes that I want to expand this into a project of that caliber-- I might create a Clan for that purpose.

For now, I am looking for help with what people would like to see in a story of this setting, along with various other concerns/questions/suggestions for content.

Edit: Ah, I've also become aware that quite a bit of my content is worded poorly for explanation purposes-- along with weird BBcode issues. I am working on both of these issues, and will post an update log as soon as I'm finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Thank you for the interest! After some discussion, I've realized that I may have gotten in way over my head.

As of right now, the plan has been changed to a single-crew roleplay-- with the potential of growing into a multi-crew roleplay in the far, far future.

Mechanically speaking, if the time comes that I want to expand this into a project of that caliber-- I might create a Clan for that purpose.

For now, I am looking for help with what people would like to see in a story of this setting, along with various other concerns/questions/suggestions for content.

Edit: Ah, I've also become aware that quite a bit of my content is worded poorly for explanation purposes-- along with weird BBcode issues. I am working on both of these issues, and will post an update log as soon as I'm finished.
K awesomes. Really only interested in joining up for one crew anyways. And Boo good with any plotline but like reeeeeally want to start as a core crew and not some kinda...

Newly gathered mishmashed together misfits that need to introduce ourselves, figure out who does what and realize not only do we need to trust each other but even more so we need to realize that we need to work together as a what...? ~gasp!!~ ...as a crew ?! Maybe..??o,0??

Like I thiiiiink that can be done OoC'ly so we can skip the 30 posties of awkward interactions . But! That's just the Boo Girlie :3333

Still will do the 30+ posties of meh but just wanna toss my 2cents in ^^

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Calypso Major
Starting off, first I would like to apologize to everyone who has shown interest so far!

Due to an unexpected issue away-from-keyboard, this project is now put on an indefinite hiatus. This is not an excuse, and I would like to keep the reasons private-- so please do not ask for more information.

That isn't to say I'm giving up on this project, however! I will still be working on this in my own time-- just not nearly as much as I'd like. The next time you hear of this, I promise that it will be a much more polished product!

As it stands, if anybody has any ideas or concerns-- please send them my way!

Thank you so much for showing your interest in this project-- and once more I am incredibly sorry!