Pilgrim's Reach

"Sabrina? What the fuck?"

Gabriel looked up at Gregor.

"Sabrina?"

He held up his hands.

"...."

He frowned.

"Seriously? Sabrina?"

He looked down at the briefing notes in disbelief.

"What, is she coming to take photos of us shooting each other? And Doctor Nick? Has the weather station contracted herpes?"

Gabriel sat back, looking to the others for agreement. He laughed, partly to hide his anxiety and partly at the absurdity of the whole affair.

"With all due respect, Sir, this is a fucking joke. And you could put that on record."

Having put the file back down, Faerich puts up his best poker face whilst watching Gabriel flip out, (Shit shit shit.) Faerich thought to himself, (why was i picked for this mission if im not going to drive my tank? more importantly, we have VTOL's for gods sake! surely that would be safer, who's going to take care of Captain Bubbleh? more importantly who can i trust. maybe the stowaway?)
At a pause in Gabriels angry questioning, Faerich raised his hand,
"Sir," the word almost caused him to stutter, "If you dont mind my asking, im still not sure why ive been put on this mission; Surely there is someone more qualifie to take my place..."

D'andrea rushed to the scene, opened the door to the briefing hastely, saluted Gregor "Sir!" and sat down. The crew seemed to be letting some information sink in that they had just been fed. Not to worry, he'd spent most of his grown life on the surface. Unless there were reports of something very unusual, Gregor would have probably let him know or he'd heard reports of it by now. He was just glad Gregor was coming along, at least then he knew someone else had experience with the journey they were taking on. At least they had decided to mix those that were completely new to the situation with some experience. He had just heard the announcement of squads rosters as he entered.

He was glad they had taken on this mission, getting back out into the real world felt better than spending time inside this....thing. He wasn't too sure how his fellow squadmembers would react to the surface-world though.

[bg=#417C64][Dash=#87fdce]
[size=+1]Gregor[/size]

"With all due respect, Sir, this is a fucking joke. And you could put that on record."

"Noted." Gregor answered plainly, and then crossed his arms. "You insult anything about this mission to Estragon then you insult their lives, Gabriel. Don't give me cause for concern. Sabrina's out to catalog the local wildlife of the Waste. The Doctor's coming in case of any minor injuries... and in case any of you go crazy on me." The corner of the old man's lips twitched slightly, but no smile came in reaction.

"Sir, if you don't mind my asking, I'm still not sure why I've been put on this mission; Surely there is someone more qualified to take my place..."

"You've never been outside. That's one reason. It's not normal to live cramped up in hulking domes of metal. This will give you, and everyone else a little taste of what was, and what it's become."

"You all have no one to blame but yourselves. You've given command a reason to worry, and they told me to sort it out. I plan on doing that, and we will get along. We will develop into cohesive individuals. We will be our brother's keepers." Moving his left hand to lightly scratch at his eye-patch, Gregor looked at each on of them once more. "Now unless there are any real questions... I will see you all in two hours at the main hold."

"Dismissed."

[/dash]
[/bg]

Metris arched a brow, though Wakefield could not see it. She was still reading the journal. Or at least pretending to. She did not want him to see the apprehension in her eyes.

Just what did he mean by 'proper quarters?' Were they going to throw her in the brig once they were certain she had no parasites living in her stomach? Or would they give her an actual room? That seemed unlikely. Surely she wasn't going to bunk with the soldiers.

She couldn't read this man. Everything about him, even his body language, was neutral and clinical. How could she read someone so removed? It was more than a little unsettling.

What were they going to do to her?

The pages of the journal crinkled under her fingers. Her knuckles turned white for a moment.

Metris took a deep breathe, exhaled, then looked up to Wakefield, mouth hitched in a lopsided grin..

"Nothing that can't wait until we're face to face, Mr. Wakefield."

A typical Class 5 personality, Wakefield thought, as he watched Metris go back to her reading. Fiercely independent to the point of hostility, exhibiting male pattern traits indicative of a strong father figure, but no somatic manifestations of abuse. Possibly a single child, the mother absent or deceased, partly or fully educated outside of the academies. She was every inch the granddaughter of Herbert LaCroix.

"Very well," Wakefield answered before straightening the cuffs of his officer's coat. "The doctor will be otherwise engaged today, so if you require anything Nurse Mendoza will be on hand."

He half-turned, then bowed a little to her. "I looked forward to speaking further with you, Miss LaCroix."

He headed away, walking slowly so he could breathe in as many of the sterlising agents as possible. But when the alarm on his wristwatch sounded, it was all the incentive he needed to quicken his step. Departing the medical bay, he followed the dorsal hallway and jogged up the stairway of honour, where Falkonian banners and framed declarations were mounted. He then arrived on the bridge to a flurry of activity, at the centre of which was his Helmsman, Mr Denby. The man was stood on the forward section of the bridge, trailing wires from his arms and cranium. He was fully uplinked to the Ezekiel primary net, relaying orders to the rest of the crew as his shaded eyes deciphered strings of data.

"We're skirting the main ridge now, Sir." Denby seemed to know without looking that Wakefield had arrived. "Less than a half-mile of navigable terrain remaining."

"Very good." Wakefield leant over his command chair, removing the cleaning spray and tissue from the side pocket. He began wiping down the seat as he gave his orders. "I want a full stop at the terrain threshold, then a one hour prelim-survey. I know Gregor's mapped this region, but any number of factors might have changed since then. Forward all radiation and atmospheric readings to ops."

"Aye, Sir."

Discarding the tissue, Wakefield sat down, easing into the well-worn grooves of his command chair. He was going to be here for a while, and he needed to be comfortable. Picking up the comms-phone, he keyed through to the hangar. "Gregor, we're about to start arrival checks. T minus eighty."

"First visuals are coming through, Sir." Denby reported, his shadow like some great tarantula casting across the bridge.

"Let's see it."

From the helm cameras, the first images of the station appeared through the haze of dustclouds and wasteland light. And as they were magnified and projected onto the overhead screen, Wakefield realised just how glad he was that he didn't have to go out there with the others.

outpost_by_jamga.jpg

Draug was alread heading to the equipment bay after the brief was over. He was getting ready while the others were probably doing what they wanted. Draug was reviewing the briefing files. The only part that bothered him was getting to the station. He was concerned that a shade or archangel was responsible for the stations cut off of communications, they were the most likely possibilities but Draug was also hoping for the best for him and the people on the mission. (Heck it might even put high and mighty Gabrial in his place.) Serke thought. (Okay I'm the one with scout experience so most likely It will be Me and D'Andrea doing the scouting for the group, but I totally agree with Gregor it would be better if we walked.) Serke then donned his recon suit and gear patiently waiting for the others or something else too happen. Then he got a vid link of the Station and realized how much walking was a very good Idea.

Moro stared at the weapons lined up on the walls of the armory. He thought about what would work the best out there. The last time he had been out in the open he only had a .45 calibur pistol. He scoffed thinking about how useless that weapon was out there. He reached up and touched his left shoulder. He could still feel the scar tissue where a gargoyle had grabbed him. The bullets he fired at the things face merely glanced off of it's armored forehead.

Moro picked up a desert eagle. That should be enough to take down most of the horrors of the waste. After belting the pistol on he continued to walk down the aisle. There had to be omething that could punch through a gargoyle's natural armor. he stopped and picked up another pistol, this time a revolver. It was a smith and wesson 500 magnum, one of the most powerful handguns ever made. He belted that on his other hip. The weight difference between the two was great, and it felt strange.

Finally he picked up a CZ 550 rifle. It was a bolt action rifle designed to use the .585 caliber round. After grabbing some extra ammo he left the armory and headed to the vehicle bay. he had already set out the rest of his gear the night before.

Moro felt he was ready this time, he had prepared some survival equipment that would work better than the crap he had had when he had been in the accident, and he had some nasty high caliber surprises for anything that the wastes threwat him.

After seeing the link Draug quickly went to his weapons locker to pick out his weapons. He first grabbed his Ktana style vibrablade, a real cool new sword he had tested that can cut through a heck of alot; a couple of his self modified double stack .454 Casul Autos, held 12 rounds of rock and roll; a L115 with rifled surpressor in .338 Lapuah Magnum; and a LWRCI M-6A2 in 7.62 Nato [7.62mm by 51mm]. (Well this will do, effective and can kill everything on the wasteland. I love my guns.) Just then a runner came in to alert him that he would have to be at the mission launch point in two hours. (Wow! Time flies fast when you lose track of it.)

He felt distaste towards Gabriel as when he spoke up about Wakefields decision concerning Sabrina. He could understand the young mans concern, it was his wording and demenor that spoke volumes. Faerich's concerns seemed more appropriate, and a question Nick would've asked about himself. He understood the importance of a medic on the mission, however he felt that even an intern would've been able to deal with any problems that might have occured. Then again, experience meant everything.

Nick pursed his lips, watching as Mr Kalesh tore into Gabriel and Faerich. He stroked the stubble on his chin re-considering his feelings on this new venture. He was as green as a new born baby when it came to the wastes and although he was in the same boat as the rest of the individuals in the briefing room, he felt at somewhat of a disadvantage because of his lack of any real combat experience. The good doctors thoughts were interupted when Mr Kalesh spoke out to the group once again.

"You all have no one to blame but yourselves. You've given command a reason to worry, and they told me to sort it out. I plan on doing that, and we will get along. We will develop into cohesive individuals. We will be our brother's keepers."

Mr Kalesh always had the ability to make the doctor smile.

"Now unless there are any real questions... I will see you all in two hours at the main hold."

"Dismissed."

A few seconds passed before the others turned to leave. Nick remained behind, nodding at the others as the passed. When the last member left he cleared his throat and stepped forward, the briefing file still in his right hand.

"Mr Kalesh, sir. Does Wakefield really have concerns about my mental health? I can understand concerns for the others, they're all wound up so tight they're bumping heads everytime they turn around. But, well, i'm used to being squared off. Back home I barely leave the lab, I hardly ever see my daughter, I don't even have enough time to visit my wifes grave."

His voice had grown weaker and he began leaning on the chair next to him, he had been avoiding Mr Kalesh's eye until his last words.​

[bg=#417C64][Dash=#87fdce]
[size=+1]Gregor[/size]

Watching the Doctor spin his tale, Gregor remained silent until Nick finally looked at him at his word's end. "Doc, Wakefield's doing his job like we all are. I don't know if he's got you pegged for the same batch of crazy the rest are starting to show, but if something happens out there... It'll be better for it to be your knife to be under than mine. My lines aren't as sharp as they used to be." He said lightly tapping his eye patch. "Family's not something I dabble in much anymore. The lady's got nothin' but patience now, and your little girl's going to need the same. We've got a trek to be walked, each of us... simple as that. Get over this hill, and it's one less to climb."

Looking towards the window once more, Gregor took in the view of the Wastes before looking back to Nick.

"Best get to these last two hours you got in the nest. We're all gonna jump from it soon. I'll see you in the hold in two." Giving Nick a reassuring pat on the shoulder, Gregor left the room, and continued down the hallway.

[size=+2]Later in the cargo hold[/size]

The minutes had nearly counted down. Gregor was just finishing donning his gear which seemed archaic compared to what he had the rest of the squads wearing. They were in full enviro-suits. Thick metal plates covering the majority of their bodies with thin metal helmets, with a wide glass shield giving them optimal view... while Gregor was dressed in a pair of BDU Bottoms, with black combat boots, a thick cotton long sleeve shirt under a thick heavy leather duster, a scarf wound around his neck, and over his mouth, and a single goggle over his good eye. He might as well been a settler trekking the trail out west in the history of old.

"Gregor, we're about to start arrival checks. T minus eighty."

"Understood. We'll be dusting it as the door drops." Gregor answered through the hangar's wall mounted intercom. Turning to the rest of the squads who were moving towards the jeeps, Gregor rested his 676 Double Pounder against his shoulder. It was the standard weapon to soldiers prior to the fallout, and Gregor knew he could rely on the weapon. It was easy to carry, and housed a pistol for the trigger grip, so in essence it was his primary, and sidearm in one carrier.

"Dear fucking God... What part of Light loads did I speak in some foreign language?" Gregor belted out as he saw some of the load outs that a few had gathered. "You're not taking all of that with you unless you want to make enough noise for whatever's out there to get curious. One Rifle, one sidearm, and one melee weapon. I'm tossing the rest of the weapons I see when the tires hit the dirt, and I expect you to do the same, Moro. We're to get in and out. Not start a fucking war."
[/dash]
[/bg]

"I know what I wanna get in and out of," Gabriel muttered as he propped his Double Pounder on his shoulder. Behind his visor no one saw him check out the butt of Sergeant D'Andrea as he passed.

The troops were assembled up in the hangar bay, where the gyro-stabilisers did their best to dull the massive vibrations coming from the Ezekiel's wheels a few feet beneath them. Gregor has chosen Assault Ramp 4 for disembarkation, a smaller airlock that could just about squeeze the jeeps through. Gabriel leant against one of the vehicles as they waited for the enviro-checks to complete. His gaze turned longingly to his C.R.A.B. mech at the other side of the hangar, still covered in plastic sheeting.

"Don't worry, baby. We'll try you out real soon."

He did another clear-drill on his weapon and shook his head at the pointlessness of the whole situation.

If anyone suggests a pre-mission prayer, I'll fucking kneecap them.

Watching on as Gregor yelled at those who had brought heavy weapons, Cpl. Faerich himself felt a bit archaic as he fingered his M1911 sitting in a modified magnetic holster on Faerichs enviro-suit. Sure Faerich knew the pistol itself would do very little against any real outside danger, thats why Faerich was packing a bit of a heavier load; The AA12 Shotgun, currently on a sling crossing diagonally along his back, Faerich could feel all 10 heavy lbs. of the deathbringing metal on his back, not to mention the 2 extra drums already filled to the 32 round limit each.
Moving towards Gregor and the others, Faerich snapped to attention and spoke up before any of the others could reply, "Sir, I have noticed that you have not selected who will be driving the jeep, should I do so?"
(If im going out there without my tank,) Faerich thought to himself while wating for the reply (i'd at least like to be driving this little tin can!)

Sandor hated enviro-suits. For one they were bulky and restricted movement. Two things he'd heard were deadly out in the wastes. For two, the damned helmet and face shield restricted view. Even though it seemed to be based on a riot helmet he was already getting aggravated by the tinted shield, and he had flipped it open. The fact that the suit itself would get hot and sweaty out in the wastes and the armor plating was already digging into him only added onto the annoyances that Sandor had with it. He could only imagine it was designed by an engineer in the bunker who had less of an idea than he on how the wastes were like, and thought of it as a post apocalyptic winter wonderland instead of a barren windswept desert. In all likelihood this was the first time these stupid suits would be going into a non simulated danger zone Sandor mused.

Sandor was seated in the left rear seat of the jeep, the heavy steel plated door swung open and his feet dangling out over the empty space. Quietly he grumbled irritated rants from under his breath, watching Gregor move back and forth between the jeeps. Gregor was dressed in a fashion that heightened the inherent bulky awkwardness of the suits to Sandor even more.

"If… when" Sandor hastily corrected himself. "This ends well maybe we can convince Wakefield to allow us to modify these suits a tad."

"Dear fucking God... What part of Light loads did I speak in some foreign language?"

Sandor glanced to see what Gregor was yelling about, and noticed the armament that a few of his colleagues wanted to bring out into the field. Sandor took a hesitant glance at the rifle next to him. It was a 7.62mm Galil AR, an already old design when the bombs fell. Perhaps it wouldn't be as maneuverable as the 676 Double Pounder in close quarters (even with a folding stock) nor was it as light. But it would be accurate and resistant to the harsh climate of the wastes. He had no idea how a collection of them had ended up in the Vladimir, and later made their way onto the Ezekiel. But, as long as they were onboard...

He watched as Corporal Faerich walked up to Gregor and asked him a question. Sandor pondered what it was, but made no move to get closer to hear. He glanced over when Gabriel walked over to the front of the jeep and leaned against the front fender, noticing he was armed with the same rifle as Gregor. Maybe they can agree on some items Sandor noted with a hint of amusement.

Sandor did another glance over the people in the bay. Where the hell was Sabrina? She was a no show to the briefing, did she opt out? That'd place Gabriel into an ecstatic joy. And where the hell was this Alastor that was mentioned during the briefing? If neither showed then Moro would be down two, Gregor would have to shift over a person. Sandor hoped it would be Gabriel. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Draug heard Gregor yelling at the others about light loads. (Huh... Good thing I'm not wearing those stupid enviro suits.) Draug was wearing his recon suit, and was not about to wear the monstrosity Wake had been given to issue to the troops. Draug had realized before they were about to go that his L115 might get in the way so he left it in it's locker and took along more ammo in it's place. (I'm glad I made that decision otherwise Gregor would be chewing my ass out too.) Draug had been there a half hour early and not surprised to find Gregor already there so he'd already got in his assigned jeep and planted him self in the front passenger seat, right beside the driver. When he heard Cpl. Faerich ask if he could drive one of the jeeps Draug wondered if he'd be his driver.

"Doc, Wakefield's doing his job like we all are. I don't know if he's got you pegged for the same batch of crazy the rest are starting to show, but if something happens out there... It'll be better for it to be your knife to be under than mine. My lines aren't as sharp as they used to be."

Mr Kalesh gestured towards his eye-patch. Nick nodded, appreciating what the man had said. His respect for the old soldier was un-rivaled. He was dependable, and that's what Nick would need when he entered the wastes. From what he could tell Mr Kalesh had seen the worst, felt the worst, lived the worst. He couldn't think of a better member of the crew suited to lead the expidition.

"Family's not something I dabble in much anymore. The lady's got nothin' but patience now, and your little girl's going to need the same. We've got a trek to be walked, each of us... simple as that. Get over this hill, and it's one less to climb."

Nick cleared his throat and clasped his hands together. He closede his eyes for a few seconds longer than a standard blink, when he'd opened them Mr Kalesh had turned to the window. He folded his arms once more, readying himself to leave when the old vet turned back to him once more.

"Best get to these last two hours you got in the nest. We're all gonna jump from it soon. I'll see you in the hold in two."

Nick didn't have time to reply. He felt a light, reassuring pat on the shoulder before Mr Kalesh vacated the briefing room. Nick remained in place, unmoving and overshadowed by the daunting task before him. The mission wouldn't go smoothly. He had a bad feeling about the whole operation. He had a feeling he wouldn't make it home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was late. Four minutes late, but late all the same. Nick strolled out into the hold, with a small backpack across his back containing medical supplies. They'd have to travel light, the only weaponry he had on his person was an old Smith and Westin 32.caliber revolver.
He'd arrived in time to catch the tail end of Mr Kalesh's rant on travelling light, his anxiety over whether or not to bring proper weaponry dissappeared. He immediatly walked up to the group of men.

"Sorry i'm late, a few patients were acting up."

The Ezekial breathed, churning a steel heart with steam and fire. Oily blood pumped along its copper veins and electricity pulsed the rotar muscles into motion. All in rhythm, all in sync. Human beings...in fact, most living things were merely a bio-engineered machine. When mankind designed their rust stained automatons, it was always with the knowledge of the internal system. Unconsciously every vein and artery had its place and most organs belonged in the primordial state of constant motion. There was no rest, not truly. Machines could be turned off...bodies could only maintain a semi-rejuvenating state of limited functionality.

Alastor awoke sprinting just ahead of his dreams. As always, he was sitting up before realizing where he was, before the sound of the Ezekiel around him slowed his breathing and calmed his heart. There was no memory of the nightmare, only the cold sweat of its passage outlining his skin in shimmering cold. Slipping out of bed, a shrill screech of gears resounded in the cramped quarters before his feet settled on the floor. A host of gold-backed spiders scuttled from the niches and crevasses they had previously hidden, inert. With calculated efficiency, the barely robed Alaster was scrubbed for toxins and dirt, scanned for any anomalies inconsistent with the previous night, and monitored his biological signs for ambient signs of stress, the green lines of cracking pressure mounting in his psychological readings. The engineer sat patiently through the process, using time to draw a line of focus to the world around him. The frigid kiss of steel on his bare feet, the hum of a massive engine only a room away, the clicking walk of his robots. After two minutes he settled to the floor, pushing himself up from it in the usual morning regime of push-ups and sit ups. Unlike Wake, he did not chant. The words repeated in his mind, a mantra encoded into his very brainwaves, but there was no need to speak them to an audience of none.

The computer beyond the bed alerted West of what he'd missed, an efficient alarm of impersonal comfort. The first notice was a priority order, the assignment to Bravo company, a surface team on a reconnaissance mission. Selecting the notice, Alaster noted the weather station and its preliminary problems. The map of the area showed harsh ascents and uneven terrain. Nothing difficult to traverse, but likely difficult for some of the more dangerous Wasteland creatures to find ready habitation. Gargoyles seemed to be an indicated threat, but it was not those stone skinned abominations Alaster gave pause over. The digital representation, along with several detailed pictures of Vagyrs filled the screen for a moment, snarling soundlessly. Alaster frowned, his heart thumping with a renewed tenacity. Quickly closing the pictures, his racing pulse remained...but began to slow.

His aversion to dogs was not a recent acquisition, but a childhood plague. Should he encounter the beasts in the field...

Well, at a range he wasn't so bothered.

His team leader was to be Moro, a smart choice for the assignment but oddly curious to Alaster. As the ship's primary mechanic, his life was too valuable to hitch on a simple foray into the Wastes, especially the first. There were other men who could perform his station, but none were so talented or understood the Ezekiel with such uncanny insight. Still, an order was an order and Alaster was not yet the kind of man to disobey on suspicion of poor judgment.

The other notices were minor occurrences...a reminder of the stowaway now in the medical bay and the invitation for a dice and paper game resent by Wakefield after West had previously declined.

The Counselor was a practical man, but his approach to camaraderie was unorthodox. West was not quite sure what he felt about the man, a bubbling maybe of unformulated opinions and incomplete analysis. It was uncomfortable to operate without an opinion and West made a note to pay closer attention to the actions of the Mission leader in the future. Without a solid opinion on the man, reacting to him would be akin to guessing the origin of Stragglers or the purpose of Echoes.

Dressing for the occasion, West secured a long vibrasword strapped smartly to his back and a long metal case with a sniper rifle packed neatly inside. In this land, reacting to threats at a distance denied them the opportunity to engage on their own terms. It was how he operated when Captain of reconnaissance back in the Bunker and it was, in a way, how he continued to operate both on and off the Wasteland.

The Ezekial purred and roared at once, all in perfect time and tune. The machine was truly a marvel, set out on a maiden voyage and still without even the hint of calibration errors. She had been made for the Wasteland...which was just as well. Lesser machines found this place a deathtrap of rust and damage.

Smiling, mostly to himself, partly to the walls around him, Alaster began his ascent to the hanger. Those along the way greeted him curiously, inability clouding their mind and denying recognition. As most of his time was spent among the gears and fuel, few of the occupants actually spoke to him on a daily basis. Still, he bowed cordially, waving when offered a smile.

"If anyone suggests a pre-mission prayer, I'll fucking kneecap them"

It was one of the first voices rising out of chaos when Alaster entered the hanger, drawing his gaze to a young soldier. Gabriel, yes, Gabriel...he recognized the face from mission files and pictures taken by the S.P.I.D.R since the mission began. Outspoken soldier, hot headed perhaps, but spirit counted for a lot in lengthy Wasteland forays. Most did not understand it was not the body that stood the most risk outside this haven of steel and vigor, but the mind. Gabriel's raucous sarcasm was a double layered vest along the contours of his brain...although that temper spiked the armor with flash powder.

"Let the faithful to their words,"
Alaster responded to Gabriel, pushing past him "We all seek comfort in different manners."

It was Moro he sought first, stepping past eyes with unspoken questions and standing smartly before the man. His dark eyes were warm, the forced kind of warm that was taught, not naturally acquired. His smile was genuine though, although perhaps too measured.

"Alaster Westerlin, Lead Engineer, reporting."
He emphasized the second two words, searching Moro's eyes for signs of unease or confusion. His former background in reconnaissance may not have been known to most, and certainly he had little control of who received what information prior to the Ezekial rolling out. Lead Engineer had little purpose on the open wastes, and the idea of a Vagyr jaw...slavering as it tore through his ligaments and bones, had settled a tremor deep into the base of Alaster's spine. It burrowed there, quiet for now but rattling a snake's warning to the collected engineer that trouble may seal his movement.

Still, first impressions were worth their weight in fuel. So he remained a steadfast arrow of pomp and cordial.

Although the left edge of his faltering smile belied the unease spreading through his mind.

[DASH="blue"]CLICK!

A white flash painted the side of Alaster's face.

"And so, Alaster Westerlin, Lead Engineer of the Pilgrim's Reach mission, arrives in the hangar bay. The team is complete. The wasteland awaits. The stakes are high..."

Sabrina walked around the group, checking her camera as she continued narrating in an over-dramatic, almost cartoon-like, voice. "The first away mission for our intrepid heroes. Ladies and gentleman of Vladimir, let's hear it for our boys."

With just a 5 minute delay, the footage would be streaming directly to the big screens in the commune halls of Vladimir Bunker. Sabrina lifted the camera and began zooming in on individual faces.

"Gabriel Pearce, son of the illustrious Colonel who escorted the first refugees to Vladimir."

She swung the camera away before Gabriel could raise his middle finger.

"Lucas D'Andrea, the Church's poster boy. Look at those abs. Ooooh!"

She zoomed in then out.

"Sandy Pyrker - star of my last documentary, A Wing and a Prayer. Remember your sunblock, Sandy!"

She adjusted the colour settings.

"Doctor Nick! Hi, Doctor Nick!"

"Ah, and the top gun himself - greatest pilot in the known world. Alexander Moro."

"Faerich and Draughlaw - the feisty duo from my last documentaty, Needle and Hammer - the Battle on the Ground".

She focussed once more on the side of Alaster's face. "And let's not forget the monkey with all the grease."

The camera swung to Gregor, zooming in closer and closer on his face. "Celebrities and badasses, all under the watchful eye... no, the only eye... of Surface Survivalist Gregor Kalesh. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the heroes of Vladimir. May the spirit of the One watch over them and over the weather reports they are fighting for today!"

She stopped recording and fixed the camera to her harness, before looking back at everyone. "Okay, this is getting boring. Can we go now?"
[/DASH]

D'andrea was not paying too much of his mind on what was going on around him. He found the gear he was wearing as the main problem as of now. It was clear to him that if the mission didn't run smoothly, he'd have to throw some of the expensive equipment for the wastes to consume it. And the way Mr. Kalesh himself had dressed was the biggest provocation to him! 'This is how you should dress, suckers!' Then what was the point with these suits?! It would clearly hinder their level of fatigue and ability to counter should they end up in a melee attack.

"Lucas D'Andrea, the Church's poster boy. Look at those abs. Ooooh!"

'1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10.' Lucas took a heavy breath after clearing his mind, no need to make any controversies at this stage, he was fine with the management. Gabriel, on the other hand, didn't seem to find it in his own interest to focus on the mission. Who said armed forces didn't throw weekend-trips for their employees as a way to strengthen team-work and social-relations?

While Lucas sees it best that their best of with him on the squad, if it came to it, he might have to get rid of Gabriel. Non-believer or not, anything slowing them down from reach their goals must be dealt with. For sure, it wouldn't be hard to get support from Vladimir if Wakefield would think of it as too drastic. D'andrea hoped he wouldn't have to make that decision, maybe even ask Wakefield for counsel before he thought more on it.

As Alaster showed up and Sabrina seemed to have calmed down, things were starting to look as if they were about to depart.

Draug noticed Alaster come him after everyone else. (Huh, he's later than usual. I didn't realize it was him though.) So Draug decided to say something when Sabrina popped up and started her filming. (Great. -.-' Anyway.) "Yo! Alaster! Long time no see!" Draug said agnologing Alaster. (I wonder if he remembers me? Well atleast we have another expierienced soldier here.) Draug then noticed D'Andre's slight discomfort being by Gabriel. (Could be worse he could have a tank driver as his driver.) Draug thought and did all this while waiting for Alaster's response.